ORAS UU Mega Beedrill Volt Turn balance?

This is my first RMT so please bear with me. I really want to know how to add all the sprites and stuff but for now I guess I will have to do with just text. As the title suggest this team is based around mega beedrill and this pokemon is very scary.

Mega Beedrill
252atk/252 spe/4 def
Jolly Nature
@Beedrilite
Protect
U-turn
Poison Jab
Drill Run/Knock off
The only non scarfed pokemon that outspeeds this beast in UU is Mega Aero after mega evolving and
Mega scept speed ties. I use Drill run over knock off to pick off Lucario who want to try and use beedrill as set up as well as other steel types that I need to finish off.

Heliolisk
252 SPA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid Nature
Choice Scarf
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Hyper Voice
Hidden Power ice/surf/grass knot

Heliolisk completes my volt turn core and has 2 main jobs. 1 is to gain me initiative with volt switch, and the second and most importantly is giving my team an answer to +1/scarf Mence and +1 Gator. I can come in on gator knowing it cant Aqua Jet me because of dry skin and proceed to ko it with TBolt. If Scarf mence locks it self into Outrage I get a kill with scarf HP ice as well as catching Mega sceptiles by surprise who want to try and sneak in. Heliolisk also outspeed scarf Darm and Scarfed Mienshao, 2 of the bigger UU threats

Heracross
252 ATK/248 HP/8 SPD
Adamant Nature
@Assault Vest
Guts
Knock off
Megahorn
Close Combat
Earthquake

AV Heracross is my FAVORITE pivot pokemon and with Guts I can also use him as a Status absorber. Earthquake can be replaced with stone edge but then you get walled by not only Nidoqueen and Toxicroak but by Florges and other bulky fairies.

Hydreigon
252 SPA/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid/Modest Nature
Choice Specs
Draco Meteor
Dark Pulse
U-Turn
Flash Cannon

My nuclear bomb of the team. If my opponent doesnt have a blissey or a florges, something is going to take alot of damage. I 2hko def umbreon and also SPD umbreon has a chance to be 2hkoed after rocks if I can hit it once.Flash Cannon is to make sure I dont give slurpuffs a free setup as well as nabbing kos on florges who want to keep coming in. Hydreigon also acts as a 3rd member of my volt/turn core with Drill and Heliolisk and keeps constant pressure on my opponents.

Swampert
252 HP/240 Def/16 ATK
Relaxed Nature
Leftovers
Stealth Rocks
Earthquake
Scald
Roar

My defensive wall as well as my phazers for pokemon who think Swampert is free setup. Electric immunity.Fire resist and stealth rocker, I ask quite a bit out of this toad thing. Scald=best move in the game and gets the burn everytime

Tentacruel
252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
Bold Nature
Black Sludge
Scald
Knock off
Rapid spin
Toxic spikes/toxic
Tentacruel is my rapid spinner as well as a mixed wall that can take special and Physical hits. I have enough speed to outspeed base 70s max speed nature as well as all uninvested pokemon base 100 or less. Tenta gives me another Fire resist as well as the ability to set up toxic spikes.

Strengths.
My team with rocks up and constant initiative can wear walls down to the point where they no longer have a switch in for Hydreigon or Heracross
Pretty good overall speed on my team and scarf Heliolisk outspeeds most scarf mons and others at +1
2 knock off memebers who can take lots of hits and get rid of items when pokemon wish to switch out

Weaknesses
As you can see I am Psychic and Fire weak as well as just one ground resist and 1 immunity. I can get swept by Espeon if I lose my beedrill and Cress and Reuni I cant really safely switch into.

I can easily be swept by fast fighting types if Swampert and Beedrill get too worn down and I have no reliable switch into Reckless Mienshao

Hydreigon and Heracross are the only real power I have offensively and Tentacruel is passive and can lead to getting set up on

No Priority attacks on my entire team

This team has many flaws but I have a blast with it especially AV Heracross. Please dont destroy me too bad about the teams construction, I know there are better options for some of the spots but this was just an initial build that only has 4 losses and mostly from hax :(

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Hi there Pacers2k7, nice team you got there, but it needs some changes.

you said you needed a Psychic answer, so a change I'd make is Honchkrow over Tentacruel. While it stacks typings, Honchkrow provides a Psychic check and a potential sweeper, as your team really doesn't have a wincon. Also, your team isn't all that weak to hazards, so I don't think you really need Tenta.

Your team is gonna be REALLY weak to Fairies by then, especially if Mega bee is dead, so another change I'd make is Cobalion or Nasty Plot Toxicroak over Heracross. Coba or Croak provides a Fairy answer, albeit shaky ones, and can help take down walls or sweep. NP Croak also adds another special attacker to your team, which I found you lacked.

Overall, with these changes, I think your team will be much more effective than it is right now, and I hope you get a lot of wins!

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Roost / Pursuit

Cobalion @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Substitute / Magnet Rise

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse / Focus Blast

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey Pacers2k7! This is a cool team, but needs some changes, so I am happy to rate it.
  • First off, I suggest Adamant > Jolly on Mega Beedrill as this gives you a harder hitting pivot and the Speed isn't missed as you have Swampert to switch into Mega Aerodactyl (who outspeed Mega Bee anyways) and things that outspeed Adamant Mega Beedrill such as Crobat.
  • Secondly, I don't feel like Choice Scarf is necessary on Heliolisk so I suggest Life Orb > Choice Scarf as it gives Heliolisk the power it wants and Heliolisk has a decent enough base Speed as it is. If you want a Choice Scarf, I would suggest running Choice Scarf > Choice Specs on Hydreigon as it is a better Choice Scarf user than Heliolisk since U-turn has no immunities while Volt Switch can be blocked by Ground-types.
  • Quick note, but run Fire Blast > Flash Cannon on Hydreigon as it is more important to hit Pokemon such as Cobalion and Whimsicott, especially if you are Scarf'd, than it is to hit Florges as most of the time while Florges is alive, you will be spamming U-turn in fear of not giving the opponent setup opportunities.
  • Next you said you have no real answer to fast Fighting-types such as Mienshao and honestly I feel like Tentacrusl exacerbates your Psychic weakness, so I suggest running Forretress > Tentacruel as it gives you a solid secondary physical wall that can take on those threats while still providing spin support and Spikes, pressuring the opponent to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

• I also want to suggest that while Assault Vest Heracross looks good, I honestly do not see the point as Heracross misses out on the ability to setup with Swords Dance or the power from Choice Band. I feel that since you lack a solid win condition, and if you implement my Forretress change you will have a ton of entry hazard support, that Swords Dance Heracross > Assault Vest Heracross would benefit your team and potentially take care of your Psychic weakness as Heracross outspeeds most Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Hoopa and forces them out with its Megahorn or Knock Off respectively.
Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Hope you enjoy my changes and good luck with the team! :)

Hey Pacers2k7! This is a cool team, but needs some changes, so I am happy to rate it.
  • First off, I suggest Adamant > Jolly on Mega Beedrill as this gives you a harder hitting pivot and the Speed isn't missed as you have Swampert to switch into Mega Aerodactyl (who outspeed Mega Bee anyways) and things that outspeed Adamant Mega Beedrill such as Crobat.
  • Secondly, I don't feel like Choice Scarf is necessary on Heliolisk so I suggest Life Orb > Choice Scarf as it gives Heliolisk the power it wants and Heliolisk has a decent enough base Speed as it is. If you want a Choice Scarf, I would suggest running Choice Scarf > Choice Specs on Hydreigon as it is a better Choice Scarf user than Heliolisk since U-turn has no immunities while Volt Switch can be blocked by Ground-types.
  • Quick note, but run Fire Blast > Flash Cannon on Hydreigon as it is more important to hit Pokemon such as Cobalion and Whimsicott, especially if you are Scarf'd, than it is to hit Florges as most of the time while Florges is alive, you will be spamming U-turn in fear of not giving the opponent setup opportunities.
  • Next you said you have no real answer to fast Fighting-types such as Mienshao and honestly I feel like Tentacrusl exacerbates your Psychic weakness, so I suggest running Forretress > Tentacruel as it gives you a solid secondary physical wall that can take on those threats while still providing spin support and Spikes, pressuring the opponent to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

• I also want to suggest that while Assault Vest Heracross looks good, I honestly do not see the point as Heracross misses out on the ability to setup with Swords Dance or the power from Choice Band. I feel that since you lack a solid win condition, and if you implement my Forretress change you will have a ton of entry hazard support, that Swords Dance Heracross > Assault Vest Heracross would benefit your team and potentially take care of your Psychic weakness as Heracross outspeeds most Psychic-types such as Reuniclus and Hoopa and forces them out with its Megahorn or Knock Off respectively.
Heracross @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Hope you enjoy my changes and good luck with the team! :)
Thank you very much for the changes I will definitely give some of them a try but the only issues I had was 1
add for>Tent means I have 4 pokemon weak to fire (with dry skin) so Idk if that will work unless I change another member
and 2 if I scarf Hydro and LO Helio then my weakness to Mienshao amplifies because scarf mien will now outspeed both instead of just one. I will give them a try though for sure.

Hi there Pacers2k7, nice team you got there, but it needs some changes.

you said you needed a Psychic answer, so a change I'd make is Honchkrow over Tentacruel. While it stacks typings, Honchkrow provides a Psychic check and a potential sweeper, as your team really doesn't have a wincon. Also, your team isn't all that weak to hazards, so I don't think you really need Tenta.

Your team is gonna be REALLY weak to Fairies by then, especially if Mega bee is dead, so another change I'd make is Cobalion or Nasty Plot Toxicroak over Heracross. Coba or Croak provides a Fairy answer, albeit shaky ones, and can help take down walls or sweep. NP Croak also adds another special attacker to your team, which I found you lacked.

Overall, with these changes, I think your team will be much more effective than it is right now, and I hope you get a lot of wins!

Honchkrow @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Roost / Pursuit

Cobalion @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Substitute / Magnet Rise

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse / Focus Blast
Thank you for your changes as well. Tenta is also a fairy resist and if I get rid of it for honckrow I will still be weak to fairy but I will also have no hazard removal.

Vapo

water me
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey Pacers2k7! Your team looks pretty decent, but it definitely has some holes and is threatened by quite a few common pokemon in UU, notably Hydreigon, Crobat, and Salamence among others. I'd like to make a few suggestions that will hopefully help your team account for more threats and improve your matchup versus them:
  • The first suggestion I'd like to make is to keep your Mega Beedrill's nature Jolly. This allows it to outspeed Scarf Chandelure, which definitely can put in work versus your team, as well as ensures you outspeed Crobat and safely U-turn out or KO it if it is weak. Crobat (especially offensive Sky Plate / Band variants) are extremely threatening towards your team, given that you do not have a flying resist (Heliolisk resists but dies to two Brave Birds), so being able to get off additional damage on it is crucial.
  • Given your lack of Dragon resist, I think adding a fairy type would vastly improve your team's functionality. Given that you already have Swampert as your bulky water type, Tentacruel seems to be the most expendable, so I would suggest changing Tentacruel for Florges. The standard physically defensive cleric set would work perfectly fine on your team, and it would make Swampert's job of blanket-checking physical attackers such as Mamoswine and Mega Aerodactyl much easier.
  • With Tentacruel gone, you no longer have hazard removal. To fix this issue, I'd like to suggest changing Hydreigon for Salamence. The set I have in mind is the LO Offensive Defogger, as it compresses the roles of special wallbreaker and hazard control into one slot while simultaneously providing you with a solid fighting check.
  • Finally, with the team's redesigned defensive core, AV Heracross isn't really needed to pivot around special attackers. Especially with the Volt-Turn core you have between Mega Beedrill and Heliolisk, I believe changing your Heracross set to Choice Band would be beneficial, as it can capitalize on the momentum gained by its teammates. It threatens many of Mega Beedrill's checks as well, including Mega Aggron, Cobalion, and even Doublade to an extent if you choose to carry Knock Off.
With those changes in mind, I believe you have yourself a very solid team that will perform well in the current meta. I hope you try out my suggestions! Good luck with everything.
Heracross @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spa / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)