Hydreigon

[OVERVIEW]

Hydreigon is a good wallbreaker in OU thanks to its great Special Attack combined with a decent dual STAB combination and wide range of coverage options, making it difficult for some teams to switch into. Its typing plus decent overall bulk allows it to switch into various defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, and Mega Venusaur, making it a terror against more balance-inclined teams. A good ability in Levitate also gives it an immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock and grants it even more opportunities to switch in. However, Hydreigon sits at an awkward Speed tier, putting it behind numerous offensive Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Weavile, and Keldeo. It also struggles to break past certain Fairy-types such as Clefable, Azumarill, and Mega Altaria, causing it to be setup bait at times. Hydreigon faces stiff competition from Hoopa-U as well, which sports better coverage and more formidable offenses, though Hydreigon manages to set itself apart with not being vulnerable to Pursuit, as well as having reliable recovery in Roost.

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Dark Pulse / Roost
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Life Orb
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's most powerful attack and deals very good damage to most neutral targets. Flash Cannon is necessary coverage that targets Fairy-types such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie, which otherwise have little issue switching into Hydreigon's STAB combination. Dark Pulse is a reliable secondary STAB attack that has great neutral coverage with Draco Meteor, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross, as well as Psychic-types such as Mew, Slowbro, and Celebi. Roost is an alternative that lets Hydreigon restore lost HP from Life Orb recoil and some resisted attacks and works well with Hydreigon's ability to force switches. Fire Blast rounds out Hydreigon's coverage, hitting Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp. Flamethrower is another option that trades power for reliability, only missing out on the guaranteed 2HKO against specially defensive Skarmory and OHKO on Mega Heracross. Earth Power can be used over Fire Blast to hit Heatran much harder and 2HKO Azumarill while retaining coverage against Bisharp and non-Magnet Rise Klefki. Superpower is an option that allows Hydreigon to hit Tyranitar and specially defensive Heatran in the same slot.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to outspeed neutral-natured Kyurem-B and below. Life Orb is used to give Hydreigon a good power boost to all of its moves while letting it switch between them, taking full advantage of its wide coverage.

Usage Tips
========

Hydreigon should generally be brought in early- to mid-game to break down the opponent's bulkier Pokemon. Due to its resistances, it can be brought in on some Pokemon such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, defensive Starmie, and Bisharp. Levitate can also net additional opportunities to switch in, such as against the likes of Hippowdon and Gliscor. Once brought in, use either Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse to get a heavy hit against the opponent's team. However, when matched up against a Fairy-type such as Clefable, Mega Altaria, or Azumarill, be reluctant in using Draco Meteor, as the drop in Special Attack leaves Hydreigon as setup bait for all of them. For Azumarill and Mega Altaria, it's particularly dangerous, as they could be able to set up Belly Drum or Dragon Dance, respectively. Roost should be used against Pokemon that cannot do much in return or on forced switches to recover lost HP from Life Orb recoil or repeated chip damage. Just note that Roost sacrifices offensive momentum, so only use it when necessary.

Team Options
========

Mega Metagross is a great teammate, as it's able to force out Fairy-types that give Hydreigon issues, as well as Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, while Hydreigon is able to break down foes such as Slowbro, Skarmory, and Rotom-W for Mega Metagross. Similarly, Assault Vest Metagross acts a more consistent switch-in to Fairy- and Psychic-types thanks to its increased special bulk, allowing it to easily Pursuit trap faster Pokemon such as Latios and Mega Alakazam. Other Steel-types such as Klefki and Ferrothorn are also effective in checking certain Fairy-types, with both providing Spikes and Thunder Wave support. Checks to Fighting-types, particularly Keldeo, are recommended. Mega Scizor also performs well, as it can switch in on most Fairy-types safely and either use them to set up or revenge kill them with Bullet Punch, while in return, Hydreigon breaks down answers to Scizor such as Skarmory and Rotom-W. On more offensively inclined teams, Serperior and Raikou fit well, as Hydreigon is able to handle problematic Pokemon for them, such as Mega Venusaur and Heatran. On a more balance-oriented team, Mega Venusaur and Amoongus make for fine teammates, as both are able to handle Keldeo and Azumarill, while Mega Venusaur can take on Mega Lopunny. Clefable is a soft check to Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, and Weavile and can paralyze faster foes with Thunder Wave, letting Hydreigon have an easier time against faster teams.

Stallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir and Mew pair decently with Hydreigon, as the former can break past bulkier foes such as Clefable and Mega Altaria, while the latter is a more defensive approach, wearing down and crippling foes such as Chansey and specially defensive Skarmory with the combination of Taunt and Will-O-Wisp, as well as burning some problematic physical attackers such as Azumarill and Mega Lopunny. Keldeo is a decent partner, as it appreciates Hydreigon's ability to break down answers to it such as Slowbro, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Due to Hydreigon's lacking Speed, it tends to struggle against fast offensive teams. Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny and Talonflame make for great partners, as both appreciate Hydreigon's ability to break down bulkier Pokemon that may cause issues for them , such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, Hippowdon, bulky Garchomp, and Landorus-T, while both are able to take down faster threats such as Keldeo, Latios, and Weavile.

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 3: Earth Power / Fire Blast
move 4: U-turn
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's most powerful STAB attack, dealing good damage to all nonresistant Pokemon. Dark Pulse is a more consistent STAB move that also gets coverage on Psychic-, Ghost-, and Steel-types such as Slowbro, Gengar, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross. Earth Power lets Hydreigon revenge kill Mega Diancie, as well as hit Bisharp, Klefki, Tyranitar, and Heatran. Fire Blast is an alternative to hit foes such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn while still being able to hit Bisharp and Klefki. U-turn is great for keeping up offensive momentum and prevents Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Altaria from getting free switches in.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes both Special Attack and Speed to ensure Hydreigon acts as an effective revenge killer. A Timid nature is used to allow Hydreigon to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Kyurem-B as well as +1 Adamant Mega Charizard X. Modest is an alternative if more power is desired and revenge killing the aforementioned Pokemon is not necessary. Choice Scarf is used to let Hydreigon act as a revenge killer for certain Pokemon, as well as let it outspeed Pokemon it cannot normally, such as Latios, Weavile, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========

Early-game it's generally best to use U-turn to scout for the foe's move and to keep up offensive momentum. This is especially important if the opposing team has a Fairy-type, as they can easily switch into Hydreigon locked into either of its STAB moves. Once brought in, Hydreigon should generally use the appropriate coverage move to revenge kill the foe. Draco Meteor should be used cautiously, as it can give many Pokemon an opportunity to freely set up and sweep or lay down entry hazards. Once Dark-resistant Pokemon are weakened or eliminated, use Dark Pulse to clean late-game. Despite being played primarily as a revenge killer, Hydreigon can also take advantage of its resistances to switch into Pokemon such as Slowbro, Celebi, and Rotom-W; however, it must watch out for Thunder Wave against all of them, as it leaves Hydreigon heavily crippled for the rest of the match.

Team Options
========

Mega Scizor makes for a decent teammate, as it's able to switch in on many prominent threats to Hydreigon, such as Weavile, Klefki, Mega Altaria, and Clefable, and take them down with Bullet Punch or use them as setup bait. Mega Scizor and Hydreigon are both able to keep up offensive momentum with U-turn. Mega Manectric and Raikou threaten Pokemon such as Azumarill and Keldeo and can keep up offensive momentum with Volt Switch; Mega Manectric's Intimidate also allows Hydreigon to switch into some physical attacks more comfortably. Choice Band Azumarill breaks down specially bulky Pokemon such as Clefable and Chansey while also revenge killing Sand Rush Excadrill, which otherwise outspeeds and KOes Hydreigon with Life Orb-boosted Iron Head after some prior damage. Hydreigon acts a good revenge killer to fast foes such as Mega Alakazam, Latios, and Mega Manectric, so Keldeo makes for a decent partner because it's threatened by the aforementioned Pokemon. Hydreigon is also able to break down more defensive answers to Keldeo such as Slowbro and Celebi.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt lets Hydreigon prevent defensive Pokemon from restoring any lost HP with recovery moves, prevent entry hazards from being set up, and block status moves, making Hydreigon a nightmare for much more passive teams. Thunder Wave can be used to catch faster Pokemon such as Keldeo and Mega Lopunny on the switch, allowing Hydreigon to take them down on the following turn. Tailwind can alleviate its Speed issues somewhat, but the number of turns it lasts is quite limited, making it undesirable in most cases. Choice Specs may sound appealing at first for the amount of power it provides, but it is generally not recommended because Hydreigon prefers to be able to switch its moves, as it's otherwise left as setup bait for numerous Pokemon if locked into either of its STAB moves; also, unlike Choice Scarf, it doesn't improve its matchup against offensive teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, Klefki, Mega Altaria, and Mega Diancie are immune to Draco Meteor and resist Dark Pulse, making them consistent checks to Hydreigon. Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Altaria are particularly dangerous, as all of them can take advantage of Hydreigon locked into either of its STAB moves or at -2 from Draco Meteor by setting up and do not take very much damage from Flash Cannon. Klefki can switch into all of Hydreigon's moves except for Fire Blast and Earth Power and can cripple Hydreigon with Thunder Wave, hit it with Dazzling Gleam, or use it to set up layers of Spikes. Mega Diancie and Mega Gardevoir are able to switch into most of Hydreigon's attacks, naturally outspeed it, and OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

**Faster Attackers**: Due to Hydreigon's lacking Speed, it's left vulnerable to many faster Pokemon such as Keldeo, Weavile, Mega Lopunny, and Latios. However, all of these Pokemon cannot safely switch in due to Hydreigon's wide coverage, and it can also somewhat circumvent this issue with a Choice Scarf. Weather sweepers such as Kingdra and Kabutops also get a mention, as under the effect of Swift Swim, they outspeed even Choice Scarf variants of Hydreigon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and Mega Lopunny naturally outspeed Hydreigon and OHKO it with their respective STAB moves. Breloom cannot switch into Hydreigon, but it can pick it off with Mach Punch. Conkeldurr when equipped with an Assault Vest can switch into Hydreigon's attacks relatively well and hit back with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch.

**Priority**: Hydreigon's typing leaves it vulnerable to various forms of priority such as Mach Punch from Breloom or Ice Shard from Weavile or Mamoswine, allowing all of these Pokemon to revenge kill Hydreigon regardless of whether it's using a Choice Scarf or not. Talonflame also gets a mention, as Brave Bird deals significant damage and specially defensive variants can switch into some of Hydreigon's moves.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Chansey has little issue switching into any of Hydreigon's moves and can cripple it with Thunder Wave or chip away at its HP with Seismic Toss. Other specially bulky Pokemon such as Hoopa-U and Assault Vest Azumarill can take a hit from Hydreigon and KO back with Drain Punch and Play Rough, respectively. Assault Vest Tornadus-T safely switches into Draco Meteor from full health and deals heavy damage with either Hurricane or Superpower, steal momentum from Hydreigon with U-turn, or Knock Off its Life Orb, making it much easier to manage.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Looks good to me. Add in some stall-breakers like Mega Gardevoir and Mew among others (viable of course) for team options. Throw in Clefable in there as well seeing as how most of Hydreigons fighting annoyances are remedied by Clefable and its Twave set lets Hydreigon wall-break a bit easier. Ironically most of its checks and counters are good team-mates so emphasize those to what they provide in terms of offensive and defensive utility.

QC 1/3 after that.

Im curious, isn't worth mentioning Roost in other options? unlike the other wallbreakers such as Hoopa, Mana, Band Azu, Medicham a lot more of them, only three of them get recovery and those are Serperior (synthesis) Hydra and Charizard Y (Roost) and it is kinda similar to Latios, both spam Draco but Hydreigon has a bigger movepool.

Im not saying to Slash it in the LO set but I think is worth metioning in the Moves section or at least OO.

Edit: I saw it, my bad

Last edited:
You might want to mention Mega Pinsir as a teammate for the Life Orb set because MPinsir's ability to pick off weakened Keldeo / Mega Lopunny while busting over Clefable and Mega Medicham is greatly appreciated, while getting Skarmory, Rotom-W, and Hippowdon weakened in return.

Last edited:
I think that maybe in the c&c you should mention that U-Turn is a threat to Hydreigon. For example, I find pivot versions Scizor can often OHKO with U-Turn, like Choice Banded or Roost+3 attacks sets, as well Jirachi pivot often dealing a lot of U-Turn damage. Otherwise it looks like a pretty good analysis!

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
something ive been thinking about, is dark pulse really necessary on the Life Orb set? like, yeah, it absolutely wrecks mew (which is fucking enormous) and does some nice dmg vs slowbro/reuniclus/slowking, but something that really bugs me if they're balance breakers with plenty of opportunities to heal up on those teams (think gengar) but get constantly worn down by life orb/sand/chip hits/what-have-you. like i said, mew is a big one, the other ones are irrelevant if we take hydreigon at face value as a balance breaker seeing how draco smokes all 3 trying to come in on it (although i do respect dark pulse as a last minute stop to those 3 calm minding up; not saying it's useless after all, just that it seems very replaceable/slashable). you also don't hit heatran quite as hard, which can be annoying, but dark pulse hydreigon without roost isnt really "beating" heatran on its own anyway. idk, it's kinda the same deal to me as with pain split-less gengar nowadays, on paper they're gonna get 6-0'd but without both taunt and pain split you either have hippo soak up your hits for all eternity or get worn down way too quickly, this is especially significant seeing how hydreigon gets a pretty much guaranteed heal vs hippowdon, one of balance's staples. yeah, dark pulse is still great, not just for those reasons but also as a nice stab attack to just throw around, no denying that, but I feel like draco/flash cannon are mandatory and roost is ridiculously useful given hydreigon's primary role on teams it's used on.

basically, thoughts on moving dark pulse down to 3rd spot and slashing it with roost (or slash roost somewhere else idk but dark pulse, again, in the context of hydreigon destroying balance, seems way less useful than flash cannon/draco which are pretty much non-negotiatable and then a coverage move for steels, although i guess dpulse is also fine over fire blast but you get my point)? I just feel like roost is/should be a way bigger part of hydreigon's role, and I'd probably be more inclined to run roost than superpower at the end of the day lol

This isn't the most important thing, but should flamethrower be mentioned over fire blast as the primary fire coverage?

It still maintains most of the same relevant OHKO and 2HKO ranges, up through max/max sassy ferro. Serperior, tangrowth, SpDef Jirachi & AV Metagross (if not running dark pulse as cbb mentioned), all becomes rolls for ohko/2hkos, but still give better chances than FB when accounting for accuracy. Physically Defensive klefki becomes a 75% roll and ohko after rocks which is only a 10% drop in reliability.

The only mons in which it's significantly impeded against are Mega heracross (poor roll), SpD skarmory (lose ohko after rocks but still a roll/2hko after sturdy otherwise), Chesnaut/specs Magnezone without rocks, and mega metagross when lacking dark pulse. I suppose there might be some other odd ones out for more complex scenarios, such as having a better chance to kill gardevoir with DP if it were to come in on the fire coverage for some reason, but none of these I feel are on par with the risk of missing fire blast against more important things such as ferro or scizor.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah so like CBB said Roost is kind of a big deal on Life Orb Hydreigon after numerous testing I've had with the mon, so it definitely needs a slash somewhere. I'm not a huuuuuge fan of ever dropping Dark Pulse on my Hydreigons cause destroying Psychics is always nice for stuff like partners with M-Lopunny and the Heatran point CBB mentioned is valid. However I don't really have any opposition to his move placement maybe we can discuss that later but Draco is kind of the big necessity out of anything on its Life Orb set anyways, akin to M-Metagross necessitating Meteor Mash in that sort of way.

For what's it worth I think Superpower is kind of crummy. I sort of get you hit stuff like Chansey, Heatran, Ttar a bit harder and its valid for moves I suppose but the real main target of Superpower in my eyes out of metagame relevancy is TTar and that's good if the team is kind of weak to sand or you just want to lure it. Ttar switching into Hydreigon is kind of common for the sake fat balances with Ttar dont have other good switch ins barring Clefable so they're normally double switching to an appropriate counterplay. Dark Pulse already hits Heatran pretty well and it has to be SpDef Tect/Toxic most times to stomach and win against Hydreigon where the offensive variants are normally just 2hko'd and as far as stall goes where Chansey is usually found you'd foster more results just running Taunt variants. It's silly most times for Hydreigon to be fighting one at the risk of getting paralyzed cause once you're paralyzed it just lost an insane amount of effectiveness. Superpower was mentioned as a target for Bisharp but I'm going to tell you as the guy who's been on both sides of that 1v1, unless you got Bisharp at +2 with an Adamant Life Orb set with Hydreigon weakened there's a pretty good chance Bisharp is about to meet its end considering Fire coverage is one of the few necessities Hydreigon needs and should have on its Life Orb set.

As far as Kavs points goes this is gonna be funny but lol I hate when I outplay my opp to shit on his inevitable Klefki switch in and Fire Blast misses giving he/she a free spike. It's actually kind of infuriating tbh where Flamethrower seems like a valid option to mention.

I just know Roost needs a bit more love than it's getting on its Life Orb set. Later down the line a bulkier set of Dark pulse, coverage, roost, Twave can be worked out. I played bludz in a test game with one and the ability to nurture a lot of balance builds is pretty nice with the set granted I'm terrible with EVs. This is more CMS thing I suppose since right now you mention the moves as OO but the way it plays out is a bit different. Later obviously something to keep in mind.

Uh when all that's worked out you can just say hi to TDK for me.

Last edited:
i'd mention a modest nature for scarf :0

lots of the stuff you outpace with timid are like mega altaria which you don't rk any time soon and you resist gyara's stabs. i would definetly mention and modest nature.

also OO could see head smash with attack investment, eats toge, 2hkoes azu and clef depending on the spread, nukes non mega gards thinking they could evolve on you along with torn-t which seems like a common switch to hydra nowadays

Last edited:
The debate on Dark Pulse vs Roost is interesting, but I don't think you can really drop it except in exceptional circumstances.

I think you just lose the ability to threaten neutral targets too badly. You'll rely way too much on Draco Meteor to do any real damage and then you're easily forced out or walled. Dragon/Fire/Steel near-perfect NEUTRAL coverage sure but only Draco Meteor is actually powerful enough to K.O those neutral targets.

I don't have any calcs for this but Dark Pulse + Draco Meteor (or Dark Pulse + 50% Recovery + Dark Pulse + 50% Recovery......*wearing down into Draco Meteor K.O range/flinch*... + Draco Meteor) must gain an enormous amount of K.Os that Draco Meteor + 50% Recovery + Draco Meteor wouldn't. How do you ever beat neutral targets with recovery like Mega Sableye, Hippowdon, Mew, Gliscor, Manaphy, Starmie, Slowbro, Mega-Venusaur without a STAB that doesn't lower your SpAtk? Given that Life Orb Hydreigon is a wallbreaker, Dark Pulse's ability to actually break these walls is kind of important.

Can someone explain the typical situations you'd use Roost BTW? I'm struggling to think of many where you don't get statused/hit for more than 50%/recovered/set up on alongside. Roost + Taunt is legit but not sure about it on 3 attacks.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Mention competition from Hoopa-Unbound and frame the rest as reasons to use Hydreigon over it. Pretty important point since Hoopa is more viable and occupies a similar niche.

Set: Life Orb

Team Options:

Ferrothorn and Klefki for checking Fairy types. Spikes help chip down checks like Keldeo, Heatran, Azumarill and Mega Altaria, making it harder for them to switch in and alleviates prediction reliance from the Hydreigon user. Ferro checks Azu better and Klefki provides speed control.

Would mention Mega Scizor as well since it can clean up nicely after Hydreigon and alleviates teams from being Gardevoir or Diancie food.

Set: Choice Scarf
I would honestly make Timid the main option. Outpacing the threats you mentioned in Scarf Lando and Kyurem-Black seems pretty important to me.

Team Options:
Think some of these same steel types I mentioned above as well as Mega Meta warrant a mention. Steels are honestly some of the best partners to Hydreigon regardless of variant.

C&C
Talonflame in priority, not sure if you wanna mention Spdef as a decent check as well.

Would also add weather sweepers to faster attackers with the caveat that they outspeed even Scarf Hydreigon

QC 3/3

edit ok im a fool AM did 3/3

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
bootie
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Hydreigon is a good wallbreaker in OU thanks to its great Special Attack combined with a decent dual STAB combination and wide amount range of coverage options, making it difficult for some teams to switch into. Its typing plus decent overall bulk allows it to switch into various defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, and Mega Venusaur, (AC) making it a terror against more balance-inclined teams. A good ability in Levitate also gives it an immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock and grants it even more opportunities to switch in. However, Hydreigon sits at an awkward Speed tier, putting it behind numerous amounts of offensive Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Weavile, and Keldeo. It also struggles to break past certain Fairy-types such as Clefable, Azumarill, and Mega Altaria, causing it to be setup bait at times. Hydreigon faces stiff competition from Hoopa-U as well, which sports better coverage and more formidable offenses, though Hydreigon manages to set itself apart with not being vulnerable to Pursuit, as well as having reliable recovery in Roost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's most powerful attack and deals very good damage to most neutral targets. Flash Cannon is necessary coverage that targets Fairy-types such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie, which otherwise have little issue switching into Hydreigon's STAB combination. Dark Pulse is a reliable secondary STAB attack that has great neutral coverage with Draco Meteor, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross, as well as hit Psychic-types such as Mew, Slowbro, and Celebi. Roost is an alternative that lets Hydreigon restore lost HP from Life Orb recoil and some resisted attacks and works well with Hydreigon's ability to force switches. Fire Blast rounds out Hydreigon's coverage, hitting Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp. Flamethrower is another option that trades power for reliability, only missing out on the guaranteed 2HKO against specially defensive Skarmory and OHKO on Mega Heracross. Earth Power can be used over Fire Blast to hit Heatran much harder and 2HKO Azumarill, (RC) while retaining coverage against Bisharp and non-Magnet Rise Klefki. Superpower is an option that allows Hydreigon to hit Tyranitar and specially defensive Heatran in the same slot.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to outspeed neutral-natured Kyurem-B and below. Life Orb is used to give Hydreigon a good power boost to all of its moves, (RC) while letting it switch between them, taking full advantage of its wide coverage.

Usage Tips
========

Hydreigon should generally be brought in early- to mid-game to break down the foe's bulkier Pokemon. Due to its resistances, it can be brought in on some Pokemon such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, defensive Starmie, and Bisharp. Levitate can also net additional switch in opportunities, allowing Hydreigon to switch into, for example against the likes of Hippowdon and Gliscor. Once brought in, use either Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse to get heavy hit against the foe's opponent's team. However, when matched up against a Fairy-type such as Clefable, Mega Altaria, and or Azumarill, be reluctant in using Draco Meteor, as the drop in Special Attack leaves Hydreigon as setup bait for all of them. For Azumarill and Mega Altaria, it's particularly dangerous, (AC) as they will could be able to potentially set up Belly Drum or Dragon Dance, (AC) respectively. Roost should be used against Pokemon that cannot do much in return or on forced switches to recover lost HP from Life Orb recoil or repeated chip damage. Just note that Roost sacrifices offensive momentum, so only use it when necessary.

Team Options
========

Mega Metagross is a great teammate, as it's able to force out Fairy-types that give Hydreigon issues, as well as Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, while Hydreigon is able to break down foes such as Slowbro, Skarmory, and Rotom-W for Mega Metagross. Similarly, Assault Vest Metagross acts a more consistent switch-in to Fairy- and Psychic-types thanks to the increased special bulk, allowing it to easily Pursuit trap faster Pokemon such as Latios and Mega Alakazam. Other Steel-types such as Klefki and Ferrothorn are also effective in checking certain Fairy-types, with both providing Spikes and Thunder Wave support. Checks to Fighting-types, particularly Keldeo, (AC) are recommended. Mega Scizor also performs well, as it can switch in on most Fairy-types safely and use them to either set up or revenge kill them with Bullet Punch, while in return, Hydreigon breaks down answers to Scizor such as Skarmory and Rotom (-W?). On more offensively inclined teams, Serperior and Raikou fit well, as Hydreigon is able to handle problematic Pokemon for them, such as Mega Venusaur and Heatran. On a more balance-oriented team, Mega Venusaur and Amoongus make fine teammates, as both are able to handle Keldeo and Azumarill, while Mega Venusaur can take on Mega Lopunny. Clefable is a soft check to Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, and Weavile and can paralyze faster foes with Thunder Wave, letting Hydreigon have an easier time against faster teams.

Stallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir and Mew pair decently with Hydreigon, as the former can break past bulkier foes such as Clefable and Mega Altaria, while the latter is a more defensive approach, wearing down and crippling foes such as Chansey and specially defensive Skarmory with the combination of Taunt plus and Will-O-Wisp, as well as burn some problematic physical attackers such as Azumarill and Mega Lopunny. Keldeo is decent partner, as it appreciates Hydreigon's ability to break down answers to it such as Slowbro, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Due to Hydreigon's lacking Speed, it tends to struggle against fast offensive teams. Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny and Talonflame make great partners, as both appreciate Hydreigon's ability to break down bulkier Pokemon that may cause issues for both, such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, Hippowdon, bulky Garchomp, and Landorus-T, while both are able to take down faster threats such as Keldeo, Latios, and Weavile.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's most powerful STAB attack, dealing good damage to all nonresistant Pokemon non-resists. Dark Pulse is a more consistent STAB move that also gets coverage on Psychic-, Ghost-, and Steel-types such as Slowbro, Gengar, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross. Earth Power lets Hydreigon revenge kill Mega Diancie, as well as hit Bisharp, Klefki, Tyranitar, and Heatran. Fire Blast is an alternative to hit foes such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, (RC) while still being able to hit Bisharp and Klefki. U-turn is great for keeping up offensive momentum and prevents Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Altaria from getting free switches in.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes both Special Attack and Speed to ensure Hydreigon acts as an effective revenge killer. A Timid nature is used to allow Hydreigon to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Kyurem-B as well as a +1 Adamant Mega Charizard X. Modest is an alternative if more power is desired and revenge killing the aforementioned Pokemon is not necessary. Choice Scarf is used to let Hydreigon act as a revenge killer for certain Pokemon, as well as let it outspeed Pokemon it cannot normally, such as Latios, Weavile, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========

Early-game it's generally best to use U-turn to scout for the foe's move and to keep up offensive momentum. This is especially important if the opposing team has a Fairy-type, as they can easily switch into Hydreigon locked into either of its STAB moves. Once brought in, Hydreigon should generally use the appropriate coverage move to revenge kill the foe with. Draco Meteor should be used cautiously, as it can give many Pokemon an opportunity to freely set up and sweep or lay down hazards. Once Dark-resistant Pokemon are weakened or eliminated, use Dark Pulse to clean late-game. Despite being played primarily as a revenge killer, Hydreigon can also take advantage of its resistances to switch into Pokemon such as Slowbro, Celebi, and Rotom-W; (ASC) however, (AC) it must watch out for Thunder Wave against all of them, (AC) as it leaves Hydreigon heavily crippled for the rest of the match.

Team Options
========

Mega Scizor makes for a decent teammate, as it's able to switch in on many prominent threats to Hydreigon, such as Weavile, Klefki, Mega Altaria, and Clefable, and take them down with Bullet Punch or use them as setup bait. Mega Scizor and Hydreigon are both able to keep up offensive momentum with U-turn. Mega Manectric and Raikou threaten Pokemon such as Azumarill and Keldeo and can keep up offensive momentum with Volt Switch; (ASC) Mega Manectric's Intimidate also allows Hydreigon to switch into some physical attacks more comfortably. Choice Band Azumarill breaks down specially bulky Pokemon such as Clefable and Chansey, (RC) while also revenge killing Sand Rush Excadrill, whom which otherwise outspeeds and KOes Hydreigon with Life Orb-boosted Iron Head after some prior damage. Hydreigon acts a good revenge killer to fast foes such as Mega Alakazam, Latios, and Mega Manectric, so Keldeo makes for a decent partner (because it has problems with those Pokemon?). Hydreigon is also able to break down more defensive answers to Keldeo such as Slowbro and Celebi.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt lets Hydreigon prevent defensive Pokemon from restoring any lost HP with recovery moves, prevents hazards from being set up, and blocks status moves, making Hydreigon a nightmare for much more passive teams. Thunder Wave can be used to catch faster Pokemon such as Keldeo and Mega Lopunny on the switch, allowing Hydreigon to take them down on the following turn. Tailwind can alleviate its speed issues somewhat, but the amount number of turns it lasts is quite limited, making it undesirable in most cases. Choice Specs may sound appealing at first for the amount of power it provides, but it is generally not recommended because as Hydreigon prefers to be able to switch its moves, as it's otherwise left as setup bait for numerous Pokemon if locked into either of its STAB moves; also, and unlike Choice Scarf, (AC) it doesn't improve its matchup against offensive teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, Klefki, Mega Altaria, and Mega Diancie are immune to Draco Meteor and resist Dark Pulse, making them consistent checks to Hydreigon. Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Altaria are particularly dangerous, as all of them can take advantage of Hydreigon locked into either of its STAB moves or at -2 from Draco Meteor by setting up and do not take very much damage from Flash Cannon. Klefki can switch into all of Hydreigon's moves except for Fire Blast and Earth Power, (RC) and can cripple Hydreigon with Thunder Wave, hit it with Dazzling Gleam, or use it to set up layers of Spikes. Mega Diancie and Gardevoir are able to switch into most of Hydreigon's attacks, naturally outspeed it, and OHKO with their respective STAB moves.

**Faster Attackers**: Due to Hydreigon's lacking Speed, it's left vulnerable to many faster Pokemon such as Keldeo, Weavile, Mega Lopunny, and Latios. However, all of these Pokemon cannot safely switch in due to Hydreigon's wide coverage, (AC) and it can also somewhat circumvent this issue with a Choice Scarf. Weather sweepers such as Kingdra and Kabutops also get a mention, (AC) as under the effect of Swift Swim, they outspeed even Choice Scarf variants of Hydreigon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and Mega Lopunny naturally outspeed Hydreigon and OHKO with their respective STAB moves. Breloom cannot switch into Hydreigon, but it can pick it off Hydreigon with Mach Punch. Conkeldurr when equipped with an Assault Vest can switch into Hydreigon's attacks relatively well and hit back with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch.

**Priority**: Hydreigon's typing leaves it vulnerable to various forms of priority such as Mach Punch from Breloom or Ice Shard from Weavile or Mamoswine, allowing all of these Pokemon to revenge kill Hydreigon regardless of whether it's using a Choice Scarf or not. Talonflame also gets a mention, (AC) as Brave Bird deals significant damage and specially defensive variants can switch into some of Hydreigon's moves.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Chansey has little issue's switching into any of Hydreigon's moves and can cripple it with Thunder Wave or chip away at its HP with Seismic Toss. Other specially bulky Pokemon such as Hoopa-U and Assault Vest Azumarill can take a hit from Hydreigon and KO back with Drain Punch and Play Rough, (AC) respectively. Assault Vest Tornadus-T safely switches into Draco Meteor from full health and deals heavy damage with either Hurricane or Superpower, can steal momentum from Hydreigon with U-turn, or can Knock Off its Life Orb, making it much easier to manage.

Last edited:

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]

Hydreigon is a good wallbreaker in OU thanks to its great Special Attack combined with a decent dual STAB combination and wide range of coverage options, making it difficult for some teams to switch into. Its typing plus decent overall bulk allows it to switch into various defensive Pokemon such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, and Mega Venusaur, making it a terror against more balance-inclined teams. A good ability in Levitate also gives it an immunity to all entry hazards bar Stealth Rock and grants it even more opportunities to switch in. However, Hydreigon sits at an awkward Speed tier, putting it behind numerous offensive Pokemon such as Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie, Weavile, and Keldeo. It also struggles to break past certain Fairy-types such as Clefable, Azumarill, and Mega Altaria, causing it to be setup bait at times. Hydreigon faces stiff competition from Hoopa-U as well, which sports better coverage and more formidable offenses, though Hydreigon manages to set itself apart with not being vulnerable to Pursuit, as well as having reliable recovery in Roost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's most powerful attack and deals very good damage to most neutral targets. Flash Cannon is necessary coverage that targets Fairy-types such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Mega Diancie, which otherwise have little issue switching into Hydreigon's STAB combination. Dark Pulse is a reliable secondary STAB attack that has great neutral coverage with Draco Meteor, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran, Skarmory, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross, as well as Psychic-types such as Mew, Slowbro, and Celebi. Roost is an alternative that lets Hydreigon restore lost HP from Life Orb recoil and some resisted attacks and works well with Hydreigon's ability to force switches. Fire Blast rounds out Hydreigon's coverage, hitting Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Klefki, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp. Flamethrower is another option that trades power for reliability, only missing out on the guaranteed 2HKO against specially defensive Skarmory and OHKO on Mega Heracross. Earth Power can be used over Fire Blast to hit Heatran much harder and 2HKO Azumarill while retaining coverage against Bisharp and non-Magnet Rise Klefki. Superpower is an option that allows Hydreigon to hit Tyranitar and specially defensive Heatran in the same slot.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs plus a Modest nature allow Hydreigon to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed EVs allow Hydreigon to outspeed neutral-natured Kyurem-B and below. Life Orb is used to give Hydreigon a good power boost to all of its moves while letting it switch between them, taking full advantage of its wide coverage.

Usage Tips
========

Hydreigon should generally be brought in early- to or mid-game to break down the foe's opponent's bulkier Pokemon. Due to its resistances, it can be brought in on some Pokemon such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, defensive Starmie, and Bisharp. Levitate can also net additional opportunities to switch in, for example such as against the likes of Hippowdon and Gliscor. Once brought in, use either Draco Meteor or Dark Pulse to get a heavy hit against the opponent's team. However, when matched up against a Fairy-type such as Clefable, Mega Altaria, or Azumarill, be reluctant in using Draco Meteor, as the drop in Special Attack leaves Hydreigon as setup bait for all of them. For Azumarill and Mega Altaria, it's particularly dangerous, as they could be able to set up Belly Drum or Dragon Dance, respectively. Roost should be used against Pokemon that cannot do much in return or on forced switches to recover lost HP from Life Orb recoil or repeated chip damage. Just note that Roost sacrifices offensive momentum, so only use it when necessary.

Team Options
========

Mega Metagross is a great teammate, as it's able to force out Fairy-types that give Hydreigon issues, as well as Pursuit trap Latios and Latias, while Hydreigon is able to break down foes such as Slowbro, Skarmory, and Rotom-W for Mega Metagross. Similarly, Assault Vest Metagross acts a more consistent switch-in to Fairy- and Psychic-types thanks to the its increased special bulk, allowing it to easily Pursuit trap faster Pokemon such as Latios and Mega Alakazam. Other Steel-types such as Klefki and Ferrothorn are also effective in checking certain Fairy-types, with both providing Spikes and Thunder Wave support. Checks to Fighting-types, particularly Keldeo, are recommended. Mega Scizor also performs well, as it can switch in on most Fairy-types safely and either use them to either set up or revenge kill them with Bullet Punch, while in return, Hydreigon breaks down answers to Scizor such as Skarmory and Rotom-W. On more offensively inclined teams, Serperior and Raikou fit well, as Hydreigon is able to handle problematic Pokemon for them, such as Mega Venusaur and Heatran. On a more balance-oriented team, Mega Venusaur and Amoongus make for fine teammates, as both are able to handle Keldeo and Azumarill, while Mega Venusaur can take on Mega Lopunny. Clefable is a soft check to Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny, Keldeo, and Weavile and can paralyze faster foes with Thunder Wave, letting Hydreigon have an easier time against faster teams.

Stallbreakers such as Mega Gardevoir and Mew pair decently with Hydreigon, as the former can break past bulkier foes such as Clefable and Mega Altaria, while the latter is a more defensive approach, wearing down and crippling foes such as Chansey and specially defensive Skarmory with the combination of Taunt and Will-O-Wisp, as well as burning some problematic physical attackers such as Azumarill and Mega Lopunny. Keldeo is a decent partner, as it appreciates Hydreigon's ability to break down answers to it such as Slowbro, Celebi, and Amoonguss. Due to Hydreigon's lacking Speed, it tends to struggle against fast offensive teams. Pokemon such as Mega Lopunny and Talonflame make for great partners, as both appreciate Hydreigon's ability to break down bulkier Pokemon that may cause issues for both them (repetition), such as Slowbro, Rotom-W, Hippowdon, bulky Garchomp, and Landorus-T, while both are able to take down faster threats such as Keldeo, Latios, and Weavile.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Hydreigon's most powerful STAB attack, dealing good damage to all nonresistant Pokemon. Dark Pulse is a more consistent STAB move that also gets coverage on Psychic-, Ghost-, and Steel-types such as Slowbro, Gengar, Jirachi, and Mega Metagross. Earth Power lets Hydreigon revenge kill Mega Diancie, as well as hit Bisharp, Klefki, Tyranitar, and Heatran. Fire Blast is an alternative to hit foes such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn while still being able to hit Bisharp and Klefki. U-turn is great for keeping up offensive momentum and prevents Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Altaria from getting free switches in.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes both Special Attack and Speed to ensure Hydreigon acts as an effective revenge killer. A Timid nature is used to allow Hydreigon to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Kyurem-B as well as +1 Adamant Mega Charizard X. Modest is an alternative if more power is desired and revenge killing the aforementioned Pokemon is not necessary. Choice Scarf is used to let Hydreigon act as a revenge killer for certain Pokemon, as well as let it outspeed Pokemon it cannot normally, such as Latios, Weavile, and Mega Lopunny.

Usage Tips
========

Early-game it's generally best to use U-turn to scout for the foe's move and to keep up offensive momentum. This is especially important if the opposing team has a Fairy-type, as they can easily switch into Hydreigon locked into either of its STAB moves. Once brought in, Hydreigon should generally use the appropriate coverage move to revenge kill the foe. Draco Meteor should be used cautiously, as it can give many Pokemon an opportunity to freely set up and sweep or lay down entry hazards. Once Dark-resistant Pokemon are weakened or eliminated, use Dark Pulse to clean late-game. Despite being played primarily as a revenge killer, Hydreigon can also take advantage of its resistances to switch into Pokemon such as Slowbro, Celebi, and Rotom-W; however, it must watch out for Thunder Wave against all of them, as it leaves Hydreigon heavily crippled for the rest of the match.

Team Options
========

Mega Scizor makes for a decent teammate, as it's able to switch in on many prominent threats to Hydreigon, such as Weavile, Klefki, Mega Altaria, and Clefable, and take them down with Bullet Punch or use them as setup bait. Mega Scizor and Hydreigon are both able to keep up offensive momentum with U-turn. Mega Manectric and Raikou threaten Pokemon such as Azumarill and Keldeo and can keep up offensive momentum with Volt Switch; Mega Manectric's Intimidate also allows Hydreigon to switch into some physical attacks more comfortably. Choice Band Azumarill breaks down specially bulky Pokemon such as Clefable and Chansey while also revenge killing Sand Rush Excadrill, which otherwise outspeeds and KOes Hydreigon with Life Orb-boosted Iron Head after some prior damage. Hydreigon acts a good revenge killer to fast foes such as Mega Alakazam, Latios, and Mega Manectric, so Keldeo makes for a decent partner because it'(apostrophe)s threatened by the aforementioned Pokemon. Hydreigon is also able to break down more defensive answers to Keldeo such as Slowbro and Celebi.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt lets Hydreigon prevent defensive Pokemon from restoring any lost HP with recovery moves, prevents entry hazards from being set up, and blocks status moves, making Hydreigon a nightmare for much more passive teams. Thunder Wave can be used to catch faster Pokemon such as Keldeo and Mega Lopunny on the switch, allowing Hydreigon to take them down on the following turn. Tailwind can alleviate its speed Speed issues somewhat, but the number of turns it lasts is quite limited, making it undesirable in most cases. Choice Specs may sound appealing at first for the amount of power it provides, but it is generally not recommended because Hydreigon prefers to be able to switch its moves, as it's otherwise left as setup bait for numerous Pokemon if locked into either of its STAB moves; also, unlike Choice Scarf, it doesn't improve its matchup against offensive teams.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Clefable, Klefki, Mega Altaria, and Mega Diancie are immune to Draco Meteor and resist Dark Pulse, making them consistent checks to Hydreigon. Azumarill, Clefable, and Mega Altaria are particularly dangerous, as all of them can take advantage of Hydreigon locked into either of its STAB moves or at -2 from Draco Meteor by setting up and do not take very much damage from Flash Cannon. Klefki can switch into all of Hydreigon's moves except for Fire Blast and Earth Power and can cripple Hydreigon with Thunder Wave, hit it with Dazzling Gleam, or use it to set up layers of Spikes. Mega Diancie and Mega (I don't think regular Gardy is viable) Gardevoir are able to switch into most of Hydreigon's attacks, naturally outspeed it, and OHKO it with their respective STAB moves.

**Faster Attackers**: Due to Hydreigon's lacking Speed, it's left vulnerable to many faster Pokemon such as Keldeo, Weavile, Mega Lopunny, and Latios. However, all of these Pokemon cannot safely switch in due to Hydreigon's wide coverage, and it can also somewhat circumvent this issue with a Choice Scarf. Weather sweepers such as Kingdra and Kabutops also get a mention, as under the effect of Swift Swim, they outspeed even Choice Scarf variants of Hydreigon.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and Mega Lopunny naturally outspeed Hydreigon and OHKO it with their respective STAB moves. Breloom cannot switch into Hydreigon, but it can pick it off with Mach Punch. Conkeldurr when equipped with an Assault Vest can switch into Hydreigon's attacks relatively well and hit back with Drain Punch or finish it off with Mach Punch.

**Priority**: Hydreigon's typing leaves it vulnerable to various forms of priority such as Mach Punch from Breloom or Ice Shard from Weavile or Mamoswine, allowing all of these Pokemon to revenge kill Hydreigon regardless of whether it's using a Choice Scarf or not. Talonflame also gets a mention, as Brave Bird deals significant damage and specially defensive variants can switch into some of Hydreigon's moves.

**Specially Bulky Pokemon**: Chansey has little issue switching into any of Hydreigon's moves and can cripple it with Thunder Wave or chip away at its HP with Seismic Toss. Other specially bulky Pokemon such as Hoopa-U and Assault Vest Azumarill can take a hit from Hydreigon and KO back with Drain Punch and Play Rough, respectively. Assault Vest Tornadus-T safely switches into Draco Meteor from full health and can deals heavy damage with either Hurricane or Superpower, can steal momentum from Hydreigon with U-turn, or can Knock Off its Life Orb, making it much easier to manage.
GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)