Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

After seeing some CAP teams here and there I have a question. Why does every team for the CAP metagame have at least one CAP Pokemon? Is it because it's like mandatory, or because it's kind of the point of CAP, or some other reason?

After seeing some CAP teams here and there I have a question. Why does every team for the CAP metagame have at least one CAP Pokemon? Is it because it's like mandatory, or because it's kind of the point of CAP, or some other reason?
Playing the CAP tier and not putting any CAP mons on your team is equivalent to traveling to the Florida Keys and not going stopping to enjoy the beach.

In all seriousness, I'd argue people tend to use them because they are created to fit roles that most teams would enjoy fulfilling, as well as the personal factor of creative uniqueness the CAP metagame has that seperates it from OU. They aren't mandatory to use, by the way.

CAP Pokemon are typically very good in the CAP metagame because they were designed to be good. They aren't required (I made a sand team a while ago with no CAP pokemon and it worked pretty well) but typically they are too good not to use in most teams. Some are just so splashable that it's hard NOT to use them, like Colossoil, who is on pretty much every single team...

All in all, it's up to you and your team to use CAP mons or not.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
During CAP 20 Concept Submissions, I wrote up an idea of mine that got approved (but not used). Am I still allowed to make a new concept submission for CAP 21?

A lack of usage won't drop a CAP to UU since the CAP metagame has no usage-based tiers. But is it possible for a CAP to be banned? And are some CAPs potentially viable in Ubers?

CAP's do not follow any tier, so yes, they cannot drop to UU or below. CAP's cannot be banned either, because of this same reason, and because the CAP metagame is the only place these Pokemon can be played in.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
LightningLord2 said:
And are some CAPs potentially viable in Ubers?
Yes, but there is no format in which CAPs and Ubers can both be used, other than a custom game. Tomohawk and Fidgit, plus kinda Colossoil, would be at the top of my guess-list of mons that could be useful in Ubers, however.

Is there a place to get a quick overview of all the CAP Pokemon and their role in the metagame and such to get a quick overview of the CAP metagame and how the CAPs affect it?

I believe there is a thread in the works that fits your needs, though as of now, there isn't. The best way to get this information is to chat on the PS room and listen to the auth, they're generally the better metagame players.

I can give some basics though:

Tomohawk and Colossoil are very centralising, found on tons of teams for their utility and splashability. Tomohawk can run different sets, from defense tank, toxic spreader, Life Orb, rain setter, Sub/Bulk Up Pass, Hazehawk (Stops almost all physical sweepers)... and so on. Tomohawk is so incredibly versatile that it's hard to list all of the sets and options. Most common set is Leftovers/Rocky Helmet with Air Slash, Roost, Taunt/Toxic, Stealth Rock/Rapid Spin.

Colossoil is a lot less varied, but still extremely potent, and is the most used CAP for a good reason. It hits hard, is fairly bulky, and has the best Knock Off in the tier. Earthquake also lets it combat the plethora of ground-weak mons in the meta such as Mollux and Metagross. It's most often seen running the bulky Assault Vest set, which lets it beat mons like Heatran extremely easily. Guts is the most common ability. Life Orb set is less common, but far more destructive and hits extremely hard. Most common set is Assault Vest with Earthquake, Knock Off, Sucker Punch, U-turn/Rapid Spin.

Aurumoth is a very unpredictable sweeper and cleaner that can catch people off guard and win games with it. After a turn of set up, it's hard to check. With an immense movepool, insanely good coverage, and two great abilities in No Guard and Illusion, it's one of the best win cons in the tier. Quiver Dance, Dragon Dance, Choice Scarf with Final Gambit, and All out Attacker are all sets to watch out for. Most common set is Life Orb with Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Psyshock, Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Substitute.

Cawmodore is another amazing win con that only really runs one set: Belly Drum, Bullet Punch, Acrobatics, Drain Punch w/ sitrus berry. If you don't carry a hard check to this, it's extremely hard to prevent it from steamrolling you.

I could go on for every CAP pokemon, but most of them have their own analysis, which you should read up on to get a feel for their sets.

Outside of this, some other things to note:

Fairies are extremely powerful, especially since the metagame is saturated with Tomohawk and Colossoil, as well as other Fairy weak mons such as Kyurem-B. Mega Diancie and Gardevoir are better in CAP than in OU in almost every case.

Dark spam is a lot less viable due to the presence of Tomohawk and the overall bulkiness of CAP balance, which is extremely common.

Defog is rarely seen, making Bisharp a lot less potent and very unpopular. Since both Tomohawk and Colossoil are excellent spinners, it's really hard to justify the use of Defog. Also, spinblocking is much harder to achieve due to Colossoil's excellent matchup with Ghost types, as well as Tomohawk's utility that can stop a lot of Ghost types cold. Revenankh and Mega Sableye are really the only spinblockers that exist in this meta.

Balance is the dominant playstyle due to the bulkiness of many of the top CAP mons, such as Tomohawk and Colossoil. Stall is also much more varied, with Goth-less stall being fairly common, and Mega Sableye isn't absolutely required due to easy hazard removal. However, Mega Sab is still the best stall Mega for spinblocking reliably.

Rain is especially potent, with Tomohawk, Krilowatt, Cyclohm, Mollux, and Naviathan all being able to abuse it to an incredible degree. Definitely something to watch out for.

Anything else you want to ask, go right ahead. I recommend watching the CAPTT replays, especially the ones featuring gday, QueenOfLuvdiscs, me, and jas61912. There are also some good replays in the replay thread, and some good teams are in the teambuilding workshop, if you want to dissect those.

Considering the fact that we worked on both sprites and 3D models for Naviathan, is CAP still going to use sprites alongside models, rather than being outright replaced?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sprites will not be "replaced." Sprites are still used in teambuilder and can be seen under certain settings of PS battles. Overall, they will probably be used alongside models, and may even be used in some playtests still if models cannot be finished in time.

The current discussion/poll threads are a good place to start. Reading up on all of the stuff said in there is a good idea, if not required, and catching up on previous threads such as the threatlist, stats discussion, etc.

Alternatively, if you do not feel comfortable posting in the threads yet (It's a little intimidating to at first), join the CAP Project room on Showdown, or the IRC channel #cap. Both are great places to ask around and get started.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm new around here and I want to participate in CAP. Which areas I am restricted to contributing to?
As far as the main project itself, there are no restrictions at all. While it is suggested that you just sit back and watch for a bit to get a sense of how things works, if you feel you are able to contribute, you can feel free to do so.

The only real area that is restricted at all is policy review, which is about adjusting the rules and policies of the project, rather than about making Pokemon. To participate there, you must have participated in the main project or other aspects of CAP enough to show you know what you are talking about.

I wanted to know if there was a way to post a CAP concept to discuss outside of the CAP project. For example, I have one I really wanted to present to the CAP 21, but I narrowly missed the deadline...

Wanted to check, is CAP21's Second Ability the Hidden Ability Equivalent? Haven't been able to find anything confirming or denying that train of thought and wanted to ask.

If you look on the Teambuilder on Pokemon Showdown, the CAP pokemon with third abilities are in italics. Those can be considered hidden abilities. Mollux and Necturna's second abilities are also considered hidden abilities, they're also in italics.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wanted to check, is CAP21's Second Ability the Hidden Ability Equivalent? Haven't been able to find anything confirming or denying that train of thought and wanted to ask.
Generally, which ability is the hidden ability is not something that is given much thought, and it is usually just the last ability chosen, if it has one at all. This is especially true this generation, now that there are very few ways to have move/ability illegalities, making it so there is no real competitive difference between normal and hidden abilities.

While I am reading the policies for CAP and I do have a concept in mind, my artistic ability is borderline nonexistent. Is it possible to collaborate with another member for the CAP?

While I am reading the policies for CAP and I do have a concept in mind, my artistic ability is borderline nonexistent. Is it possible to collaborate with another member for the CAP?
CAP is a collaborative project by definition. Individual members come up with concepts and then we vote on them, but this does not include art, type, ability, or any of that, only a rough proposal. The same thing happens with literally every other stage, meaning the art, movepool, stats, and name are frequently proposed by completely different users.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)