A Beginner's Guide to Understanding EVs [GP (2/2)]

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Introduction
Effort Values, or EVs as they're commonly known, are an integral part of competitive Pokemon battling. If you are a newcomer, you may have seen this term thrown around on analyses, or you may have played around with the EV sliders on Pokemon Showdown!'s teambuilder. Either way, understanding what they do and how they're used is a huge part of becoming a better player.

Essentially, EVs are points that can be added to any of a Pokemon's six stats to increase them. They can be added in any combination the player desires, giving the player the freedom to modify their Pokemon's stats in unique ways. Because of this, EVs can drastically change the role a Pokemon plays in battle and its matchup against other Pokemon. EVs can only add to a stat, not subtract, so a Pokemon with EVs is ALWAYS superior to a Pokemon without them. With that said, EVs don't have as much of an effect when they're not distributed across stats effectively, so all Smogon analyses include a recommended EV distribution, known as an "EV spread." Understanding how these most efficient spreads are determined and why they are effective is very important for teambuilding, battling, and maximizing your own innovative capabilities.

As a side note: EVs are NOT the same thing as IVs. While they both contribute to the final stats of a Pokemon, IVs are much simpler and should generally always be 31.

Basic Mechanics
Every Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs in total and a maximum of 252 EVs per stat. At level 100, EVs are worked with in multiples of 4, as a Pokemon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 4 EVs that are added. At level 50, EVs are worked with in multiples of 8, as a Pokemon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 8 EVs that are added. One important side note is that at level 50, a stat with 31 IVs will start increasing at 4 EVs and then increase with every 8 EVs (4, 12, 20, 28, and so on) whereas a stat with 30 IVs will always increase with every 8 EVs (8, 16, 24, 32, and so on).

At level 100, the difference between a stat without any EVs and one that's fully invested is 63 points, which is a major difference. Take Sand Rush Excadrill, for example, a common sand sweeper in OU:

0+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 218-257 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without any Attack investment, Excadrill will be taking away a little over two-thirds of Keldeo's health with Earthquake. This is certainly respectable, but it's insufficient because Keldeo can KO back with any of its moves.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 263-309 (81.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Once invested with Attack EVs, Excadrill can OHKO Keldeo with three switches into Stealth Rock or three turns of sandstorm damage, which should be very easy considering this Excadrill set is used on sand teams.

Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items such as Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items.

General Trends
In most cases, EVs are used to buff up stats that are already good rather than patch up poor stats. In fact, many, if not most, Pokemon sets use a simple 252 / 252 / 4 spread, with the two stats with 252 EVs corresponding to its most important ones (the 4 remaining EVs are leftover and can usually be put anywhere). When choosing which stats are most important to invest EVs in, the following guidelines are generally followed:

• For most offensive Pokemon and many defensive and support Pokemon, Speed is the most important stat to invest in. This is because outspeeding other Pokemon plays a critical role in battle.
  • When opting for overall bulk, such as on a bulky attacking Pokemon, HP is invested in instead of individual defensive stats. Conversely, individual defensive stats are generally invested in only when the Pokemon is explicitly meant to play a defensive role.
  • With very few exceptions, Attack and Special Attack are rarely invested in at the same time. This is because the vast majority of offensive Pokemon do not have the capability to go mixed, and even those that do often have a "primary" offensive stat that is used more often and therefore worth the investment.
  • As explained in the last section, boosting items such as Choice items will cause EVs to have a greater effect, so this is also taken into consideration when determining which EVs to invest in. For example, Assault Vest Conkeldurr invests into Special Defense instead of HP because the Special Defense investment makes the 1.5x boost from Assault Vest more effective.
By keeping these guidelines in mind, you should have greater success when making your own EV spreads when teambuilding. Of course, all Smogon analyses have recommended EV spreads along with an explanation, but it's an extremely valuable skill to be able to determine the most effective EV spreads for your Pokemon regardless of whether or not it's an established set.

Benchmarks
The more specialized a Pokemon's role is, the more specialized its EV spread will likely need to be. For example, offensive Dragon Dance Altaria simply needs to be fast and do a lot of damage, so it uses a basic 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread. However, defensive Dragon Dance Altaria is meant to be able to take specific hits to boost up against a wider variety of threats, so it uses a much more complex spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe. This spread has been specifically tailored to match its more intricate role.

The irregularity of the above spread, and of most other complex spreads, is the result of the Pokemon attempting to reach certain benchmark stats. In general terms, a benchmark is an important stat value that guarantees a specific result in a specific situation. For example, Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric are some of the fastest Pokemon in OU, and they both have base 135 Speed, which becomes a Speed stat of 405 when fully invested. So for any OU Pokemon attempting to boost their Speed and sweep, going above the benchmark of 405 Speed means they can no longer be revenge killed by Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric. The 28 Speed EVs in Altaria's defensive Dragon Dance set give it exactly 406 Speed after two Dragon Dance boosts, allowing it to surpass this common benchmark.

Benchmarks exist in other stats, too. For example, a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock that switches in and out a lot may adjust its HP stat to ensure it will survive four switches in (do be aware, however, that careless HP investment can also make a Pokemon slightly MORE vulnerable to Stealth Rock as well). A mixed attacker with a surprise coverage move may increase its non-dominant attacking stat just enough to guarantee a 2HKO on one of its common checks. Additionally, in the Altaria example above, the complex defensive investment guarantees it will never be 2HKOed by Pokemon like Life Orb Thundurus, so the player knows that Altaria can always boost up against an opposing Thundurus and simply Roost off the damage.

For determining Speed benchmarks, your most helpful resource will be the Speed Tiers lists located in every tier's subforum (and linked at the bottom of the article). These lists contain every common Pokemon in the tier and what Speed they reach, taking into account boosting moves, natures, EVs, and even items like Choice Scarf. They're listed in descending order from highest to lowest, so they give you a very easy way to see what your Pokemon will and will not be outspeeding with any Speed stat.

For other stats, the Pokemon Showdown! damage calculator (also linked at the bottom of the article) is a great resource that lets you see how much damage two Pokemon will do to each other and puts you in control of variables like EVs, natures, items, weather, and anything else that could possibly affect the damage done by a Pokemon. It also lets you add in factors like entry hazards, so you can even adjust your EVs to OHKO a certain Pokemon after it switches in on Spikes, for instance.

In Battle
In Pokemon battles, both on the cartridge and Pokemon Showdown!, you're not told what your opponent's Pokemon's stats or EVs are. While it may be hard to find out their exact values, you can actually make very educated guesses based on context clues. If you can pay attention to subtle clues like how much damage the opposing Pokemon's attacks do, how much damage it takes itself, and what it is or isn't capable of outspeeding, you can use this information to make smarter plays.

For example, let's say your opponent switches in their Excadrill to tank a Draco Meteor from your Life Orb Latias, and it loses about 30% of its health. This is extremely important—a quick check on the Pokemon Showdown! damage calculator tells you that only Excadrill's bulky spinner set could possibly take 30%, as it has full HP and Special Defense EV investment. By contrast, the vast majority of offensive Excadrill won't invest in HP or Special Defense, instead opting for Speed and Attack. This information is incredibly valuable—perhaps later in the battle, your offensive Heatran is up against this Excadrill. Normally, it would be incredibly risky to stay in, as the common offensive Excadrill can easily outspeed Heatran and OHKO it with Earthquake. But now, because you know the Excadrill doesn't have any Speed EVs, you can be confident your Heatran with full Speed EVs can outspeed it and hit it with a super effective STAB Fire Blast.

That's just one example of how having knowledge of EVs is incredibly valuable. Correctly guessing your opponent's EV spreads also allows you to look on the Smogon Strategy Pokedex and find out what moves the foe might be running, what specific benchmarks the set is trying to hit, and other useful information.

Conclusion
Overall, having a strong understanding of EVs is critical to improving your skills as a Pokemon battler and teambuilder. Good EV spreads can mean the difference between a mediocre Pokemon and a terrific one, and being able to discern your opponents' EV spreads while being cognizant of your own gives you a supreme edge in battle. While it may seem like an impossible task to keep track of so many numbers, awareness of EVs comes naturally and will become a seamless part of your planning and playing. Remember to use the resources below to help you!

Links

Smogon Strategy Pokedex
Damage Calculator
Little Cup EV Guide

OU Speed Tiers
UU Speed Tiers
RU Speed Tiers
NU Speed Tiers
PU Speed Tiers
Ubers Speed Tiers

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Good, I think. Over summer I was writing this section by section, haven't really touched it since going back to university but I was actually planning on finishing it this weekend (hooray for labor day). I've been writing this section by section - I left the bullet points in hide tags for now so that if anyone wants to give feedback without reading through the full paragraphs they can. It shouldn't take too much longer to finish, I have 1 and a half sections left, and neither is particularly long.

I was going to ask this question when I was done but I suppose there's no harm in asking it now: what's the QC/evaluation/feedback process for this? Because this article deals with highly generalized concepts and basic battling/teambuilding strats I'm not really sure who's in charge of making sure this meets site standards in terms of content.

Thanks!

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good, I think. Over summer I was writing this section by section, haven't really touched it since going back to university but I was actually planning on finishing it this weekend (hooray for labor day). I've been writing this section by section - I left the bullet points in hide tags for now so that if anyone wants to give feedback without reading through the full paragraphs they can. It shouldn't take too much longer to finish, I have 1 and a half sections left, and neither is particularly long.

I was going to ask this question when I was done but I suppose there's no harm in asking it now: what's the QC/evaluation/feedback process for this? Because this article deals with highly generalized concepts and basic battling/teambuilding strats I'm not really sure who's in charge of making sure this meets site standards in terms of content.

Thanks!

we're on the process of getting our own QC team as of now. it's mostly Orange Islands mods and contributors; don't worry, we'll have one by the time you finish. good luck! this is looking good :afrostar:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As of generation 6, EVs cap at 252 per stat, not 255

The way you've explained EVs (how the increase a stat once for every 4) is only relevant for level 100 play. I think it would be great if you explained how it works at level 50 for VGC / battle spot / in-game battles on the PSS (they're at level 50, right?). At level 50, stat goes up once for every 8 EVs after the first 4 (so it goes 4, 12, 20, 28 etc). If a stat has a 30 IV (instead of 31 coz of a hidden power spread) then it goes up once for every 8 starting at 0, meaning the cap is 248 coz the extra 4 with 252 makes no difference to a stat...

Other than that I don't really have much else to add. The examples are 100% OU specific so since I'm not overly familiar with the tier these days I cannot comment on whether they are appropriate or not. The only thing that stood out was when you said you can boost and roost in front of Thundurus, I would have thought the risk of Taunt would stop that from happening...

Finally, I'm not GP but to save them the trouble, you should take out any instance where you've used "like" with "such as" coz it sounds way too casual otherwise.

eg. "Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items like such as Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items."

There were 18 times you've done this (according to ctrl+f) so yeah lol

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Finally, I'm not GP but to save them the trouble, you should take out any instance where you've used "like" with "such as" coz it sounds way too casual otherwise.

eg. "Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items like such as Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items."
No for the millionth time like and such as both have their specific correct usages. Briyella found it necessary to tell everyone to eliminate like on sight but the pedo was wrong and I've been telling people they were wrong for like 3 years now

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/like-versus-such-as

I remember when I started EV training stuff, I always got confused between EVs and IVs. Maybe you should differentiate the two in the introduction? Just an idea!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No for the millionth time like and such as both have their specific correct usages. Briyella found it necessary to tell everyone to eliminate like on sight but the pedo was wrong and I've been telling people they were wrong for like 3 years now

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/like-versus-such-as
B-but, all my instances of 'like' get changed by GP. I suppose like does work all the times that CyclicCompound has used them.

Oh also when I said the ctrl+f thing I hadn't taken into account all the 'like buttons' on the page rofl. There were only eight uses of 'like' actually in the article...

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi anto, my apologies, I've been super busy with uni and I kind of stopped checking Smogon to prevent me from getting distracted. I probably should have given you a warning, sorry about that :-/. I'll try my best to set aside a time this upcoming weekend to make some of the necessary changes to this article.

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I've gone through and made the changes necessary.
The examples are 100% OU specific so since I'm not overly familiar with the tier these days I cannot comment on whether they are appropriate or not. The only thing that stood out was when you said you can boost and roost in front of Thundurus, I would have thought the risk of Taunt would stop that from happening...
Hahahaha, to be honest I'm not too up-to-date on OU either. I figured I should probably use an example from OU since it's more or less Smogon's de facto main tier. I got that Thundurus example from scouring some analyses and a quick check on Thundurus's page shows that only the stallbreaker set uses Taunt nowadays, something I was surprised to learn.

I remember when I started EV training stuff, I always got confused between EVs and IVs. Maybe you should differentiate the two in the introduction? Just an idea!
Added this as a note at the bottom of the intro. I hesitated from going into it any further to save the reader some confusion.

I'll leave this here for a few more days and if no one has any more suggestions or changes I'll move this to GP.

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi anto, my apologies, I've been super busy with uni and I kind of stopped checking Smogon to prevent me from getting distracted. I probably should have given you a warning, sorry about that :-/. I'll try my best to set aside a time this upcoming weekend to make some of the necessary changes to this article.
been busy too after my last bump apologies! we can move this to grammar yo

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i lost the formatting when i put this through a thingy to change the double spaces after periods to single spaces... i think i fixed most of it (bold headers and bullets) but i didn't fix the hyperlinks, sorry :s

GP 1/2
Introduction

Effort Values, or EVs as they're commonly known, are an integral part of competitive Pokemon battling. If you are a newcomer, you may have seen this term thrown around on analyses, or you may have played around with the EV sliders on Pokemon Showdown!'s teambuilder. Either way, understanding what they do and how they're used is a huge part of becoming a better player.

Simply put, EVs are points that can be added to any of a Pokemon's six stats to increase them. They can be added in any combination the player desires, allowing giving the player the freedom to modify their Pokemon's stats in unique ways. Because of this, EVs can drastically change the role a Pokemon plays in battle and its matchup against other Pokemon. EVs can only add to a stat, not subtract, so a Pokemon with EVs is ALWAYS superior to a Pokemon without them. With that said, EVs don't have as much of an effect when they're not distributed across stats effectively, so all Smogon analyses include a recommended EV distribution, known as an "EV spread." Understanding how these most efficient spreads are determined and why they are effective is very important for teambuilding, battling, and maximizing your own innovative capabilities.

As a side note: EVs are NOT the same thing as IVs. While they both contribute to the final stats of a Pokemon, IVs are much simpler and as a general rule should always be 31.

Basic Mechanics

Every Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs in total, (RC) and a maximum of 252 EVs (technically untrue) per stat. At level 100, EVs are worked with in multiples of 4, because a Pokemon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 4 EVs that are added. At level 50, EVs are worked with in multiples of 8, because a Pokemon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 8 that are added. One important side note is that at level 50, a stat with 31 IVs will start increasing at 4 EVs and then increase with every 8 EVs (4, 12, 20, 28, and so on) whereas a stat with 30 IVs will increase with every 8 starting at 8 EVs (8, 16, 24, 32, and so on).

At level 100, the difference between a stat without any EVs and one that's fully invested is 63 points, which is a major difference. Take Sand Rush Excadrill, for example, a common sand sweeper in OU:

0+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 218-257 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without any Attack investment, Excadrill will be taking away a little over two-thirds 2/3rds of Keldeo's health with Earthquake. Certainly respectable, but insufficient because Keldeo can KO back with any of its moves.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 263-309 (81.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Once invested with Attack EVs, Excadrill can OHKO Keldeo with 3 three switches into Stealth Rock switch-ins or 3 three turns of sandstorm damage, which should be very easy considering this Excadrill set is used on sandstorm teams.

Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items like Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items.

General Trends

In most cases, EVs are used to buff up stats that are already good rather than patch up stats that are poor. In fact, many if not most Pokemon sets use a simple 252 / 252 / 4 spread, with the two 252 EVs corresponding to its most important stats (the 4 is leftover and can usually be put anywhere). When choosing which stats are most important to invest EVs in, the following guidelines are generally followed:
  • For most offensive Pokemon and many defensive and support Pokemon, Speed is the most important stat to invest in. This is because outspeeding other Pokemon plays a critical role in battle.
  • When opting for overall bulk, such as on a bulky attacking Pokemon, HP is invested in instead of individual defensive stats. On the contrary, individual defensive stats are generally invested in only when the Pokemon is explicitly meant to play a defensive role.
  • With very few exceptions, Attack and Special Attack are rarely invested in at the same time. This is because the vast majority of offensive Pokemon do not have the capability to go mixed, and even for those that do, they often have a "primary" offense attack type that is used more often and therefore worth the investment.
  • As explained in the last section, boosting items like Choice items will cause EVs to have a greater effect, so this is also taken into consideration when determining which EVs to invest in. For example, Assault Vest Conkeldurr invests into Special Defense instead of HP because the Special Defense investment makes the 1.5x boost from Assault Vest more effective.
By keeping these guidelines in mind, you should have greater success when making your own EV spreads when teambuilding. Of course, all Smogon analyses have recommended EV spreads along with an explanation, but it's an extremely valuable skill to be able to determine the most effective EV spreads for your Pokemon regardless of whether or not it's an established set.

Benchmarks

The more specialized a Pokemon's role is, the more specialized its EV spread will likely need to be. For example, offensive Dragon Dance Altaria simply needs to be fast and do a lot of damage, so it uses a basic 252 Atk / 252 Speed spread. However, defensive Dragon Dance Altaria is meant to be able to take specific hits to boost up against a wider variety of threats, so it uses a much more complex spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Speed. This spread has been specifically tailored to match its more intricate role.

The irregularity of the above spread, and of most other complex spreads, is the result of the Pokemon attempting to reach certain benchmark stats. In general terms, a benchmark is an important stat value that guarantees a specific result in a specific situation. For example, Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric are some of the fastest commonly seen Pokemon in OU, and they both have base 135 Speed, which becomes a Speed stat of 405 when fully invested. So for any OU Pokemon attempting to boost their Speed and sweep, going above the benchmark 405 Speed means they can no longer be revenge killed by Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric. The 28 Speed EVs in Altaria's defensive Dragon Dance set give it exactly 406 Speed after two Dragon Dances, allowing it to surpass this common benchmark.

Benchmarks exist in other stats, too. For example, a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock that switches in and out a lot may adjust its HP stat to ensure it will live 4 survive four switch-inses in. A mixed attacker with a surprise coverage move may increase its non-dominant attacking stat just enough to guarantee a 2HKO on one of its common checks. And from the Altaria example above, the complex defensive investment guarantees it will never be 2HKOed by Pokemon like Life Orb Thundurus, so the player knows that they can always boost up against an opposing Thundurus and simply Roost off the damage.

For determining Speed benchmarks, your most helpful resource will be the Speed Tiers list located in every tier's subforum (and linked at the bottom of the article). This list contains every common Pokemon in the tier and what Speed they reach, taking into account boosting moves, natures, EVs, and even items like Choice Scarf. They're listed in descending order from highest to lowest, so it they give you a very easy way to see what you will and will not be outspeeding with any Speed stat.

For other stats, the Pokemon Showdown! damage calculator (also linked at the bottom of the article) is a great resource that lets you see how much damage two Pokemon will do to each other, (RC) and puts you in control of variables like EVs, natures, items, weather, and anything else that could possibly affect the damage done by a Pokemon. It also lets you add in factors like entry hazards, so you can even adjust your EVs to, for example, OHKO a certain Pokemon after it switches in on Spikes.

In Battle

In Pokemon battles, both on cartridge and in simulator, you're not told what your opponent's Pokemon's stats or EVs are. While it may be hard to find out their exact values, you can actually make very educated guesses based on context clues. If you can pay attention to subtle clues like how much damage the opposing Pokemon's attacks do, how much damage they take themselves, and what they are or aren't capable of outspeeding, you can use this information to make smarter plays.

For example, let's say your opponent brings switches in their Excadrill to tank a Draco Meteor from your Life Orb Latias, and it loses about 30% of its health. This is extremely important—a quick check on the Pokemon Showdown! damage calculator tells you that only Excadrill's bulky spinner set could possibly take 30%, as it has full HP and Special Defense EV investment. By contrast, the vast majority of offensive Excadrill won't invest in HP or Special Defense, instead opting for Speed and Attack. This information is incredibly valuable—say later in the battle, your offensive Heatran is up against this Excadrill. Normally, it would be incredibly risky to stay in, (AC) as the common offensive Excadrill can easily outspeed Heatran and OHKO Heatran it with Earthquake. But now, since you know the Excadrill doesn't have any Speed EVs, you can be confident your Heatran with full Speed EVs can outspeed it and hit it with a STAB super effective Fire Blast.

That's just one example of how having knowledge of EVs is incredibly valuable. (AP) for example, cCorrectly guessing your opponent's EVs also allows you to look on the Smogon Strategy Pokedex and find out what moves your opponent might be running, what specific benchmarks the set is trying to hit, and other useful information.

Conclusion

Overall, having a strong understanding of EVs is critical to improving your skills as a Pokemon battler and teambuilder. Good EV spreads can mean the difference between a mediocre Pokemon and a terrific one, and being able to discern your opponents' EV spreads while being cognizant of your own gives you a supreme edge in battle. While it may seem like an impossible task to keep track of so many numbers, awareness of EVs comes naturally and will become a seamless part of your planning and playing. Remember to use the resources below to help you!

Links

Smogon Strategy Pokedex
Damage Calculator
Little Cup EV Guide

OU Speed Tiers
UU Speed Tiers
RU Speed Tiers
NU Speed Tiers
Ubers Speed Tiers

Last edited:

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
no worries P2, I didn't edit the hyperlinks. I implemented this seeing how CyclicCompoud is on a LoA :)

ready for gp 2!

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
Introduction

Simply put Essentially (subjective), EVs are points that can be added to any of a Pokemon's six stats to increase them. They can be added in any combination the player desires, giving the player the freedom to modify their Pokemon's stats in unique ways. Because of this, EVs can drastically change the role a Pokemon plays in battle and its matchup against other Pokemon. EVs can only add to a stat, not subtract, so a Pokemon with EVs is ALWAYS superior to a Pokemon without them. With that said, EVs don't have as much of an effect when they're not distributed across stats effectively, so all Smogon analyses include a recommended EV distribution, known as an "EV spread." Understanding how these most efficient spreads are determined and why they are effective is very important for teambuilding, battling, and maximizing your own innovative capabilities.

As a side note: EVs are NOT the same thing as IVs. While they both contribute to the final stats of a Pokemon, IVs are much simpler and
as a general rule should generally always be 31.

Basic Mechanics
Every Pokemon can have a maximum of 510 EVs in total and a maximum of 252 EVs per stat. At level 100, EVs are worked with in multiples of 4,
because as a Pokemon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 4 EVs that are added. At level 50, EVs are worked with in multiples of 8, because as a Pokemon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 8 EVs that are added. One important side note is that at level 50, a stat with 31 IVs will start increasing at 4 EVs and then increase with every 8 EVs (4, 12, 20, 28, and so on) whereas a stat with 30 IVs will always increase with every 8 starting at 8 EVs (8, 16, 24, 32, and so on).

Without any Attack investment, Excadrill will be taking away a little over two-thirds of Keldeo's health with Earthquake.
This is certainly Certainly respectable, but it's insufficient because Keldeo can KO back with any of its moves.

Once invested with Attack EVs, Excadrill can OHKO Keldeo with three switches into Stealth Rock or three turns of sandstorm damage, which should be very easy considering this Excadrill set is used on sand
storm teams.

Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items
like such as (this is the case for all such items) Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items.

General Trends
In most cases, EVs are used to buff up stats that are already good rather than patch up
poor stats that are poor. In fact, many, (AC) if not most, (AC) Pokemon sets use a simple 252 / 252 / 4 spread, with the two stats with 252 EVs corresponding to its most important stats ones (the 4 remaining EVs are is leftover and can usually be put anywhere). (Perhaps explain that because of Stealth Rock, it's usually not a good idea to put them into HP?) When choosing which stats are most important to invest EVs in, the following guidelines are generally followed:
  • When opting for overall bulk, such as on a bulky attacking Pokemon, HP is invested in instead of individual defensive stats. On the contrary Conversely (subjective), individual defensive stats are generally invested in only when the Pokemon is explicitly meant to play a defensive role.
  • With very few exceptions, Attack and Special Attack are rarely invested in at the same time. This is because the vast majority of offensive Pokemon do not have the capability to go mixed, and even those that do often have a "primary" offensive stat that is used more often and therefore worth the investment.
  • As explained in the last section, boosting items like such as (again, applies to all of them) Choice items will cause EVs to have a greater effect, so this is also taken into consideration when determining which EVs to invest in. For example, Assault Vest Conkeldurr invests into Special Defense instead of HP because the Special Defense investment makes the 1.5x boost from Assault Vest more effective.

Benchmarks
The more specialized a Pokemon's role is, the more specialized its EV spread will likely need to be. For example, offensive Dragon Dance Altaria simply needs to be fast and do a lot of damage, so it uses a basic 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread. However, defensive Dragon Dance Altaria is meant to be able to take specific hits to boost up against a wider variety of threats, so it uses a much more complex spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe. This spread has been specifically tailored to match its more intricate role.

The irregularity of the above spread, and of most other complex spreads, is the result of the Pokemon attempting to reach certain benchmark stats. In general terms, a benchmark is an important stat value that guarantees a specific result in a specific situation. For example, Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric are some of the fastest
commonly seen (a tad redundant imo) Pokemon in OU, and they both have base 135 Speed, which becomes a Speed stat of 405 when fully invested. So for any OU Pokemon attempting to boost their Speed and sweep, going above the benchmark of 405 Speed means they can no longer be revenge killed by Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric. The 28 Speed EVs in Altaria's defensive Dragon Dance set give it exactly 406 Speed after two Dragon Dances boosts, allowing it to surpass this common benchmark.

Benchmarks exist in other stats, too. For example, a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock that switches in and out a lot may adjust its HP stat to ensure it will survive four switches in. A mixed attacker with a surprise coverage move may increase its non-dominant attacking stat just enough to guarantee a 2HKO on one of its common checks.
And from Additionally, in the Altaria example above, the complex defensive investment guarantees it will never be 2HKOed by Pokemon like Life Orb Thundurus, so the player knows that they Altaria can always boost up against an opposing Thundurus and simply Roost off the damage.

For determining Speed benchmarks, your most helpful resource will be the Speed Tiers list
s located in every tier's subforum (and linked at the bottom of the article). This These lists contains every common Pokemon in the tier and what Speed they reach, taking into account boosting moves, natures, EVs, and even items like Choice Scarf. They're listed in descending order from highest to lowest, so they give you a very easy way to see what your Pokemon will and will not be outspeeding with any Speed stat.

For other stats, the Pokemon Showdown! damage calculator (also linked at the bottom of the article) is a great resource that lets you see how much damage two Pokemon will do to each other
(space)and puts you in control of variables like EVs, natures, items, weather, and anything else that could possibly affect the damage done by a Pokemon. It also lets you add in factors like entry hazards, so you can even adjust your EVs to, for example, OHKO a certain Pokemon after it switches in on Spikes, for instance.

In Battle
In Pokemon battles, both on
the cartridge and in simulator Pokemon Showdown!, you're not told what your opponent's Pokemon's stats or EVs are. While it may be hard to find out their exact values, you can actually make very educated guesses based on context clues. If you can pay attention to subtle clues like how much damage the opposing Pokemon's attacks do, how much damage they it takes itself themselves, and what they are it is or aren't isn't capable of outspeeding, you can use this information to make smarter plays.

For example, let's say your opponent switches in their Excadrill to tank a Draco Meteor from your Life Orb Latias, and it loses about 30% of its health. This is extremely important—a quick check on the Pokemon Showdown! damage calculator tells you that only Excadrill's bulky spinner set could possibly take 30%, as it has full HP and Special Defense EV investment. By contrast, the vast majority of offensive Excadrill won't invest in HP or Special Defense, instead opting for Speed and Attack. This information is incredibly valuable—
sayperhaps (subjective) later in the battle, your offensive Heatran is up against this Excadrill. Normally, it would be incredibly risky to stay in, (AC) as the common offensive Excadrill can easily outspeed Heatran and OHKO it with Earthquake. But now, since because you know the Excadrill doesn't have any Speed EVs, you can be confident your Heatran with full Speed EVs can outspeed it and hit it with a STAB super effective STAB Fire Blast.

That's just one example of how having knowledge of EVs is incredibly valuable. Correctly guessing
your opponent's EVs spreads also allows you to look on the Smogon Strategy Pokedex and find out what moves your opponent the foe (remember: foe = opposing Pokemon, and opponent = opposing player. Heck, I'm not entirely sure which one you're referring to when you mention "opponents' EV spreads" in this paragraph and the next one.) might be running, what specific benchmarks the set is trying to hit, and other useful information.

Conclusion
Overall, having a strong understanding of EVs is critical to improving your skills as a Pokemon battler and teambuilder. Good EV spreads can mean the difference between a mediocre Pokemon and a terrific one, and being able to discer
n your opponents' EV spreads while being cognizant of your own gives you a supreme edge in battle. While it may seem like an impossible task to keep track of so many numbers, awareness of EVs comes naturally and will become a seamless part of your planning and playing. Remember to use the resources below to help you!

Links

Smogon Strategy Pokedex
Damage Calculator
Little Cup EV Guide

OU Speed Tiers
UU Speed Tiers
RU Speed Tiers
NU Speed Tiers
Ubers Speed Tiers
GP 2/2

Last edited:
Reactions: ant

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
no worries P2, I didn't edit the hyperlinks. I implemented this seeing how CyclicCompoud is on a LoA :)

ready for gp 2!
Wow, I can't believe it - I actually had this open like 30 minutes ago editing it in Notepad, and then my computer crashed as I was editing the second-to-last section. Just restarted and opened this up and saw that you did it. You must be psychic. Thank you so much!

np :)

Reactions: ant

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
Snobalt, I implemented everything in your check, except this one edit you suggested:
(the 4 remaining EVs are leftover and can usually be put anywhere). (Perhaps explain that because of Stealth Rock, it's usually not a good idea to put them into HP?)
I completely get where you're coming from, but I can't really think of a concise way to word it without going off-track from the purpose of that paragraph or confusing the reader. I figure if the reader goes through the whole article, they'll be cognizant of the HP thing because I do mention SR numbers later on.

Also, I listed PU Speed Tiers since it's official now. Yay! Magnemite

If that's all good, then this is done!

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Snobalt, I implemented everything in your check, except this one edit you suggested:
I completely get where you're coming from, but I can't really think of a concise way to word it without going off-track from the purpose of that paragraph or confusing the reader. I figure if the reader goes through the whole article, they'll be cognizant of the HP thing because I do mention SR numbers later on.

Also, I listed PU Speed Tiers since it's official now. Yay! Magnemite

If that's all good, then this is done!
You mention SR numbers, but you state that a Pokemon can "adjust its HP" EVs to reach an SR number. When I read that at first, it somewhat implied that a Pokemon needs to invest in HP to some degree to reach an SR number, when many of them can just not invest at all. Perhaps follow up that segment with (or not)? Or something similar; idk what you had in mind.

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a Contributor Alumnus
How does this sound?

Benchmarks exist in other stats, too. For example, a Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock that switches in and out a lot may adjust its HP stat to ensure it will survive four switches in (do be aware, however, that careless HP investment can also make a Pokemon slightly MORE vulnerable to Stealth Rock as well).

Empress

Incoming
HTML:
[title]
A Beginner's Guide to Understanding EVs

[head]
<meta name="description" content="In this guide, CyclicCompound goes over the basic mechanics of Effort Values, or EVs, and explains how to use them to give your Pokemon the advantage in battle." />

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../stylesheet.css" />

<style type="text/css">
    .hr {
        border: none;
        border-bottom: 2px solid #0070C0;
    }
</style>

[page]
<div class="author">By <a href="/forums/members/cycliccompound.204866/">CyclicCompound</a>. Art by <a href="relative link of artist's profile">Artist's Name</a>.</div>

<h2>Introduction</h2>

<p>Effort Values, or EVs as they're commonly known, are an integral part of competitive Pok&eacute;mon battling. If you are a newcomer, you may have seen this term thrown around on analyses, or you may have played around with the EV sliders on Pok&eacute;mon Showdown!'s teambuilder. Either way, understanding what they do and how they're used is a huge part of becoming a better player.</p>

<p>Essentially, EVs are points that can be added to any of a Pok&eacute;mon's six stats to increase them. They can be added in any combination the player desires, giving the player the freedom to modify their Pok&eacute;mon's stats in unique ways. Because of this, EVs can drastically change the role a Pok&eacute;mon plays in battle and its matchup against other Pok&eacute;mon. EVs can only add to a stat, not subtract, so a Pok&eacute;mon with EVs is ALWAYS superior to a Pok&eacute;mon without them. With that said, EVs don't have as much of an effect when they're not distributed across stats effectively, so all Smogon analyses include a recommended EV distribution, known as an "EV spread." Understanding how these most efficient spreads are determined and why they are effective is very important for teambuilding, battling, and maximizing your own innovative capabilities.</p>

<p>As a side note: EVs are NOT the same thing as IVs. While they both contribute to the final stats of a Pok&eacute;mon, IVs are much simpler and should generally always be 31.</p>

<h2>Basic Mechanics</h2>

<p>Every Pok&eacute;mon can have a maximum of 510 EVs in total and a maximum of 252 EVs per stat. At level 100, EVs are worked with in multiples of 4, as a Pok&eacute;mon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 4 EVs that are added. At level 50, EVs are worked with in multiples of 8, as a Pok&eacute;mon gains a 1 point stat increase for every 8 EVs that are added. One important side note is that at level 50, a stat with 31 IVs will start increasing at 4 EVs and then increase with every 8 EVs (4, 12, 20, 28, and so on) whereas a stat with 30 IVs will always increase with every 8 EVs (8, 16, 24, 32, and so on).</p>

<p>At level 100, the difference between a stat without any EVs and one that's fully invested is 63 points, which is a major difference. Take Sand Rush Excadrill, for example, a common sand sweeper in OU:</p>

<strong><p style="color:red">0+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 218-257 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</p></strong>

<p>Without any Attack investment, Excadrill will be taking away a little over two-thirds of Keldeo's health with Earthquake. This is certainly respectable, but it's insufficient because Keldeo can KO back with any of its moves.</p>

<strong><p style="color:green">252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 263-309 (81.4 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO</p></strong>

<p>Once invested with Attack EVs, Excadrill can OHKO Keldeo with three switches into Stealth Rock or three turns of sandstorm damage, which should be very easy considering this Excadrill set is used on sand teams.</p>

<p>Because EVs are added to a stat before the effects of multiplicative items such as Eviolite, Choice items, and Life Orb, investing EVs into a stat will have an even greater effect when you use these kinds of items.</p>

<h2>General Trends</h2>

<p>In most cases, EVs are used to buff up stats that are already good rather than patch up poor stats. In fact, many, if not most, Pok&eacute;mon sets use a simple 252 / 252 / 4 spread, with the two stats with 252 EVs corresponding to its most important ones (the 4 remaining EVs are leftover and can usually be put anywhere). When choosing which stats are most important to invest EVs in, the following guidelines are generally followed:<p>

<ul>
    <li>For most offensive Pok&eacute;mon and many defensive and support Pok&eacute;mon, Speed is the most important stat to invest in. This is because outspeeding other Pok&eacute;mon plays a critical role in battle.</li>

<li>When opting for overall bulk, such as on a bulky attacking Pok&eacute;mon, HP is invested in instead of individual defensive stats. Conversely, individual defensive stats are generally invested in only when the Pok&eacute;mon is explicitly meant to play a defensive role.</li>

<li>With very few exceptions, Attack and Special Attack are rarely invested in at the same time. This is because the vast majority of offensive Pok&eacute;mon do not have the capability to go mixed, and even those that do often have a "primary" offensive stat that is used more often and therefore worth the investment.</li>

<li>As explained in the last section, boosting items such as Choice items will cause EVs to have a greater effect, so this is also taken into consideration when determining which EVs to invest in. For example, Assault Vest Conkeldurr invests into Special Defense instead of HP because the Special Defense investment makes the 1.5x boost from Assault Vest more effective.
</ul>

<p>By keeping these guidelines in mind, you should have greater success when making your own EV spreads when teambuilding. Of course, all Smogon analyses have recommended EV spreads along with an explanation, but it's an extremely valuable skill to be able to determine the most effective EV spreads for your Pok&eacute;mon regardless of whether or not it's an established set.</p>

<h2>Benchmarks</h2>

<p>The more specialized a Pok&eacute;mon's role is, the more specialized its EV spread will likely need to be. For example, offensive Dragon Dance Altaria simply needs to be fast and do a lot of damage, so it uses a basic 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread. However, defensive Dragon Dance Altaria is meant to be able to take specific hits to boost up against a wider variety of threats, so it uses a much more complex spread of 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe. This spread has been specifically tailored to match its more intricate role.</p>

<p>The irregularity of the above spread, and of most other complex spreads, is the result of the Pok&eacute;mon attempting to reach certain benchmark stats. In general terms, a benchmark is an important stat value that guarantees a specific result in a specific situation. For example, Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric are some of the fastest Pok&eacute;mon in OU, and they both have base 135 Speed, which becomes a Speed stat of 405 when fully invested. So for any OU Pok&eacute;mon attempting to boost their Speed and sweep, going above the benchmark of 405 Speed means they can no longer be revenge killed by Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric. The 28 Speed EVs in Altaria's defensive Dragon Dance set give it exactly 406 Speed after two Dragon Dance boosts, allowing it to surpass this common benchmark.</p>

<p>Benchmarks exist in other stats, too. For example, a Pok&eacute;mon weak to Stealth Rock that switches in and out a lot may adjust its HP stat to ensure it will survive four switches in (do be aware, however, that careless HP investment can also make a Pok&eacute;mon slightly MORE vulnerable to Stealth Rock as well). A mixed attacker with a surprise coverage move may increase its non-dominant attacking stat just enough to guarantee a 2HKO on one of its common checks. Additionally, in the Altaria example above, the complex defensive investment guarantees it will never be 2HKOed by Pok&eacute;mon like Life Orb Thundurus, so the player knows that Altaria can always boost up against an opposing Thundurus and simply Roost off the damage.</p>

<p>For determining Speed benchmarks, your most helpful resource will be the Speed Tiers lists located in every tier's subforum (and linked at the bottom of the article). These lists contain every common Pok&eacute;mon in the tier and what Speed they reach, taking into account boosting moves, natures, EVs, and even items like Choice Scarf. They're listed in descending order from highest to lowest, so they give you a very easy way to see what your Pok&eacute;mon will and will not be outspeeding with any Speed stat.</p>

<p>For other stats, the Pok&eacute;mon Showdown! damage calculator (also linked at the bottom of the article) is a great resource that lets you see how much damage two Pok&eacute;mon will do to each other and puts you in control of variables like EVs, natures, items, weather, and anything else that could possibly affect the damage done by a Pok&eacute;mon. It also lets you add in factors like entry hazards, so you can even adjust your EVs to OHKO a certain Pok&eacute;mon after it switches in on Spikes, for instance.</p>

<h2>In Battle</h2>

<p>In Pok&eacute;mon battles, both on the cartridge and Pok&eacute;mon Showdown!, you're not told what your opponent's Pok&eacute;mon's stats or EVs are. While it may be hard to find out their exact values, you can actually make very educated guesses based on context clues. If you can pay attention to subtle clues like how much damage the opposing Pok&eacute;mon's attacks do, how much damage it takes itself, and what it is or isn't capable of outspeeding, you can use this information to make smarter plays.</p>

<p>For example, let's say your opponent switches in their Excadrill to tank a Draco Meteor from your Life Orb Latias, and it loses about 30% of its health. This is extremely important&mdash;a quick check on the Pok&eacute;mon Showdown! damage calculator tells you that only Excadrill's bulky spinner set could possibly take 30%, as it has full HP and Special Defense EV investment. By contrast, the vast majority of offensive Excadrill won't invest in HP or Special Defense, instead opting for Speed and Attack. This information is incredibly valuable&mdash;perhaps later in the battle, your offensive Heatran is up against this Excadrill. Normally, it would be incredibly risky to stay in, as the common offensive Excadrill can easily outspeed Heatran and OHKO it with Earthquake. But now, because you know the Excadrill doesn't have any Speed EVs, you can be confident your Heatran with full Speed EVs can outspeed it and hit it with a super effective STAB Fire Blast.</p>

<p>That's just one example of how having knowledge of EVs is incredibly valuable. Correctly guessing your opponent's EV spreads also allows you to look on the Smogon Strategy Pok&eacute;dex and find out what moves the foe might be running, what specific benchmarks the set is trying to hit, and other useful information.</p>

<h2>Conclusion</h2>

<p>Overall, having a strong understanding of EVs is critical to improving your skills as a Pok&eacute;mon battler and teambuilder. Good EV spreads can mean the difference between a mediocre Pok&eacute;mon and a terrific one, and being able to discern your opponents' EV spreads while being cognizant of your own gives you a supreme edge in battle. While it may seem like an impossible task to keep track of so many numbers, awareness of EVs comes naturally and will become a seamless part of your planning and playing. Remember to use the resources below to help you!</p>

<h2>Links</h2>

<ul>
    <li><a href="/dex/xy/pokemon/" target="_blank">Smogon Strategy Pok&eacute;dex</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/" target="_blank">Damage Calculator</a></li>
    <li><a href="/xy/articles/lc#spreads" target="_blank">Little Cup EV Guide</a></li>
</ul>

<hr />

<ul>
    <li><a href="/forums/threads/oras-ou-speed-tiers.3527024/" target="_blank">OU Speed Tiers</a></li>
    <li><a href="/forums/threads/uu-speed-tiers.3519163/" target="_blank">UU Speed Tiers</a></li>
    <li><a href="/forums/threads/ru-speed-tiers.3523914/" target="_blank">RU Speed Tiers</a></li>
    <li><a href="/forums/threads/oras-nu-speed-tiers.3536422/" target="_blank">NU Speed Tiers</a></li>
    <li><a href="/forums/threads/pu-speed-tiers-and-role-compendium.3553385/" target="_blank">PU Speed Tiers</a></li>
    <li><a href="/forums/threads/oras-ubers-speed-tiers.3530917/" target="_blank">Ubers Speed Tiers</a></li>
</ul>

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)