Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What advantage does Umbreon have over other Speed checkers already discussed in the thread? I guess it does have Synchronize, but it doesn't get Seismic Toss or Night Shade, or even any sleep-inducing move (except Yawn, I suppose), or False Swipe. You're better off using a fainted level 1 Synch and a Smeargle or a Staraptor to Speed check, surely?
I think the point of Azureaper's post was that they were (luckily) able to use a random Umbreon they had in their PC as a speed checker + sync (thus saving them the time preparing) rather than a revolutionary new way of SRing involving Umbreon

I think the point of Azureaper's post was that they were (luckily) able to use a random Umbreon they had in their PC as a speed checker + sync (thus saving them the time preparing) rather than a revolutionary new way of SRing involving Umbreon
Called it. The only jolly synchronize Pokemon I had also conveniently checked the speed. As for defense and HP checks, I did things the old fashioned way and paid close attention to how much damage take down was dealing. If Umbreon was able to down Landorus in 3 hits, either the HP or defense IV was imperfect.

I'm not sure/don't remember if it's been mentioned up to now, but I guess it's worth mentioning again if it has been. If you're SRing for a neutral Speed nature, you can use the Staraptor + Speed O-Power trick, then switch to something that is one point higher in max Speed than the Pokemon you're SRing to make sure your synch worked.

e.g. I used a Natu to synch, Speed, and HP test for a Modest Latios (for reference, the Natu has 158 Speed, holding a Macho Brace it has 79). Modest Latios with neutral nature and a 30-31IV has 80 Speed, so if it moves first and survives Night Shade, I switch to Smeargle, which I was fortunate enough to have on hand. The Smeargle is level 79 and has 4EVs in Speed, so it has 162 base Speed; with a Power item/Macho Brace, that's an 81 in Speed, so if Latios outspeeds Smeargle as Smeargle uses Spore, the synch has failed.

I'm going to do a Modest Suicune next, will be using this:

1. Fainted Synch in front

2. Staraptor (lv. 54)
-Spe Nature
Ability: Intimidate
IVs: 31 HP / 0 Spe
EVs: 12 HP / 24 Spe
- Final Gambit

Modest Suicune has 175 HP and 105 Speed if a 31IV. This Staraptor has 174 HP and 104 Speed. Use Speed O-Power, if Intimidate activates before Pressure, soft-reset. If not, Speed O-Power activates and I can safely use Final Gambit.

3. Smeargle (lv. 100) @ Macho Brace/Power Item
+Spe Nature
EVs: 28 Spe
- Spore
- Recover/whatever

This Smeargle has 212 Speed, which a Macho Brace that is 106, outspeeding Modest Suicune with one point. Use Spore, if Suicune moves first, synch failed and soft-reset.

A better set than this Smeargle might be used, idk though. pls correct any mistakes I might have made I derped so much today I might have derped this too

Morning edit: Oh yea vzxt is right, it doesn't guarantee your synch worked, it's just a much higher probability that it did.

Last edited:
-Mega-Snip-
Yeah I did something similar when I was SR for my Entei. Double-checking Speed this way doesn't guarantee the Synch worked though, it just means you didn't get a +speed nature. Still a real useful tip because Smeargle will always move first than the pokemon you are SRing, making the capture easier without the use of Rock Polish.

On the other hand having the Smeargle be one point lower in max Speed than the Pokemon you're SRing can also be useful. This way you can see if you actually outsped the pokemon with Staraptor or if staraptor just won a speed tie, meaning the pokemon you are SRing doesn't have max speed and you might want to reset.

Maybe carry both +1point Max Speed and -1point Max speed Smeargle so you can TRIPLE CHECK speed. LOL

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure/don't remember if it's been mentioned up to now, but I guess it's worth mentioning again if it has been. If you're SRing for a neutral Speed nature, you can use the Staraptor + Speed O-Power trick, then switch to something that is one point higher in max Speed than the Pokemon you're SRing to make sure your synch worked.

e.g. I used a Natu to synch, Speed, and HP test for a Modest Latios (for reference, the Natu has 158 Speed, holding a Macho Brace it has 79). Modest Latios with neutral nature and a 30-31IV has 80 Speed, so if it moves first and survives Night Shade, I switch to Smeargle, which I was fortunate enough to have on hand. The Smeargle is level 79 and has 4EVs in Speed, so it has 162 base Speed; with a Power item/Macho Brace, that's an 81 in Speed, so if Latios outspeeds Smeargle as Smeargle uses Spore, the synch has failed.

I'm going to do a Modest Suicune next, will be using this:

1. Fainted Synch in front

2. Staraptor (lv. 54)
-Spe Nature
Ability: Intimidate
IVs: 31 HP / 0 Spe
EVs: 12 HP / 24 Spe
- Final Gambit

Modest Suicune has 175 HP and 105 Speed if a 31IV. This Staraptor has 174 HP and 104 Speed. Use Speed O-Power, if Intimidate activates before Pressure, soft-reset. If not, Speed O-Power activates and I can safely use Final Gambit.

3. Smeargle (lv. 100) @ Macho Brace/Power Item
+Spe Nature
EVs: 28 Spe
- Spore
- Recover/whatever

This Smeargle has 212 Speed, which a Macho Brace that is 106, outspeeding Modest Suicune with one point. Use Spore, if Suicune moves first, synch failed and soft-reset.

A better set than this Smeargle might be used, idk though. pls correct any mistakes I might have made I derped so much today I might have derped this too

Morning edit: Oh yea vzxt is right, it doesn't guarantee your synch worked, it's just a much higher probability that it did.
SRing for neutral-speed natures will never be perfect. If you're testing for 80 speed on the Latios, you could think it's a good one coz it passed the double check, but it could just have a positive nature with a 7-9 speed IV, lol. Suicune is the same, perfect Modest has the same stat as a positive nature with a 12-13 IV.

We're just erasing variables, no reason to worry about not being perfect. The double speed check is great, but personally I would just stick to the good old single check as a confirmation from that gives enough information to tell you the odds are you've got what you want. Checking for positive / negative speed natures is so much easier smh

SRing for neutral-speed natures will never be perfect. If you're testing for 80 speed on the Latios, you could think it's a good one coz it passed the double check, but it could just have a positive nature with a 7-9 speed IV, lol. Suicune is the same, perfect Modest has the same stat as a positive nature with a 12-13 IV.

We're just erasing variables, no reason to worry about not being perfect. The double speed check is great, but personally I would just stick to the good old single check as a confirmation from that gives enough information to tell you the odds are you've got what you want. Checking for positive / negative speed natures is so much easier smh
That's true, but seeing as people do normally switch to a second Pokemon after the HP check anyway, you might as well EV it to save yourself a few resets, right? The chances you get that specific IV is a bit less than the synch working and getting a 31 IV too, so even if you don't see it as helping that much, you might as well use all the help you can get :p

Just wanted to say thank you so much for making this :) the Speed thing for Rayquaza really helped, so now I've got a 31/31/26-27/x/31/31 jolly Rayquaza lol (not sure if I should keep it though :/)

Also, you might want to add that an extra space in your party is nice, if you haven't already.

Another topic of discussion: what's your guys' "minimums" when catching legends? I go for 31 in HP, speed, and the offense that's used, and 25+ for the defenses.

Another topic of discussion: what's your guys' "minimums" when catching legends? I go for 31 in HP, speed, and the offense that's used, and 25+ for the defenses.
Over in Wifi, people generally say toss to anything that's not at least 30 in everything relevant and 31 in Speed. Hypothetically, I'd like to toss anything that doesn't have a 31 in the boosted stat and/or the one I want to invest in, but I'd probably find it really hard to toss something like Adamant 31.30.31.xx.31.31. I think your parameters are pretty good if you're not too fussy and don't need it to have as much trade value as possible.

I wish I had found this threat earlier. Now I caught myself a decent Thundurus because I was tired resetting it and I saved my catch of Landorus which has terrible ivs. :(

Just a note: At level 41 (when Starly DOES learn Final Gambit), with no investment, and with 31 IVs in HP, Starly has 96 HP.

You will need:

Starly
Level: 41
EVs: 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 31 HP/31 Spe
- Final Gambit
Stats at level 41: 96 HP/101 Spe

Smeargle
Level: 50
EVs: 140 Spe/252 HP/116 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rock Polish
- Recover
Stats at level 50: 87 Spe, 88 SpD, 162 HP

Fainted sync in front, Starly at the second spot. Enter the battle, use Final Gambit. If Latias/Latios faints, reset. If Latias/Latios survives, confirm 31 IV in HP. Starly fainted, free switch to Smeargle. Use Spore. If Smeargle goes first, reset. If Latias/Latios goes first, confirm +Speed nature and 31 IV in Speed. Use Rock Polish next turn to outspeed Latias/Latios so when they wake up, you can Spore them again.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
Just wanted to say thank you so much for making this :) the Speed thing for Rayquaza really helped, so now I've got a 31/31/26-27/x/31/31 jolly Rayquaza lol (not sure if I should keep it though :/)

Also, you might want to add that an extra space in your party is nice, if you haven't already.

You're more than welcome, I'd like to help this community. :) Not sure if I mentioned the free space in the party, will check that right away. And about the minimums, I'm used to RNG abuse perfect Pokémon, so that's what I'm aiming for when soft resetting. Tossing everything with less than 4x 31 and at least another 29 or 30.

Just a note on the guide for capturing Regigigas, the Smeargle should be at level 92, as opposed to 97. I made the mistake of training my Smeargle to 97, so hopefully nobody else makes that mistake :)

Overall, though, thanks so much for this Buckert! I may take you up on one of your giveaway Smeargle soon!

When aiming for Neutral Speed nature:
Staraptor:
Level: 51
Nature: Jolly
IV: 31 Hp | 31 Spe
EV: 12 Hp
Stats at 51: 165 Hp
Moves: Final Gambit

Smeargle:
Level: 68
Nature: Sassy
IV: 31 | xx | 31 | xx | 31 | 00
EV: 252 | xx | xx | xx | 252 | 4
Stats at 68: 216 | xx | 74 | xx | 143 | 96
Moves: Spore | Rock Polish | Recover | Taunt
How to capture Heatran
Hey, Smeargle has 73 in Def, not 74 : )

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
hey guys, I have a suggestion for an ammendment to this guide..

in regards to SRing Suicune, i think it should be added not to definitely reset if Suicune fails the initial Speed test. Suicune uses Mirror Coat, and since its a -priority move, there are a lot of times it wont move before Smeargle, even if its got perfect speed. Just my 2 cents!

It was mentioned before, but the Smeargle for catching Regigigas should be level 92, not level 97. I made the mistake of training it up to that level until I start wondering why I 2hko it all the time.

The speed checker for regigigas is also wrong since Ralts' speed at 49 and Regigigas' at 50 is way too different.

Last edited:
Noob question: I only have Pokemon OR so I don't have access to Staraptor and Smeargle (without trading). Are there alternatives to those pokemon that I can catch in OR to help in SR-ing for legendaries? Thanks.

Noob question: I only have Pokemon OR so I don't have access to Staraptor and Smeargle (without trading). Are there alternatives to those pokemon that I can catch in OR to help in SR-ing for legendaries? Thanks.
Just google them yourself noob >:O

lol jk you can use any pokemon that learns final gambit maybe mankey?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Final_Gambit_(move)
for smeargle depends on the moves you want to use. Maybe breloom?

Staraptor with intimidate is really good for SRing pokemon with abilities that are anounced like pressure and smeargle is pretty versatile and useful. Some people in the Wi-Fi section provide this Soft Reseting pokemon for free if you want to check them out. I'd suggest you ask in the simple questions thread first.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/wi-fi.53/

If Tornadus/Thundurus/Zapdos decides to be an asshole and use Agility (this is especially a problem with Tornadus/Thundurus, since they have Prankster), you can also teach Smeargle Haze.

If Tornadus/Thundurus/Zapdos decides to be an asshole and use Agility (this is especially a problem with Tornadus/Thundurus, since they have Prankster), you can also teach Smeargle Haze.
the right way to SR Thundurus/tornados is with prankster sableye. You can speed check and hp check turn 1 with Pain Split
I forgot to post the results of my testing on SR thundurus so here it goes.

After testing both SR methods for Thundurus...I have concluded with help of aus_pokedad that Sableye is way better. Besides the possible turn 1 hp&speed check, Sableye is 40% faster on the Reset than Staraptor+Smeargle.

The sableye I used had this Moves: Pain Split, Taunt, Night Shade, Psych Up and had a lum berry attached.

Psych Up is a back up move you can use if you for some reason missed the speed check and thundurus used Agility.

There's an explanation on how to use this set in the previous page.

Hope this helps(maybe add it to the OP?), if you are lucky you'll find yourself resetting on turn one with Sableye most of the time, making things faster.
-----------

For Tornadus Sableye is inferior to Staraptor+Smeargle because Tornadus only has one status move.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been said already, or if this works with other Pokemon that desire a -Speed nature, but you can check BOTH speed and HP at the same time with Riolu for Cresselia.

Riolu
Ability: Steadfast
Level: 73
EVs: 168 HP
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Final Gambit

Fainted sync in front, Riolu at the second spot. Use Final Gambit. If Cresselia moves first, reset. If Riolu moves first, confirm -Speed nature and 0IV in speed. Cresselia faints, reset. Cresselia, survives, confirm 31 IV in HP. Switch to faster Spore user, and huck balls at it until it's caught, and reset.

Even though a lot of people have soft reset them already could we include Hoopa and Diancie's stats in the OP? Just for completeness sake

Even though a lot of people have soft reset them already could we include Hoopa and Diancie's stats in the OP? Just for completeness sake
I don't think events are relevant to this guide as this is focused on methods and tips to SR not a list of SR-able pokemon. I mean to SR event pokemon you just need to spam A and you have no influence on the result.

I don't think events are relevant to this guide as this is focused on methods and tips to SR not a list of SR-able pokemon. I mean to SR event pokemon you just need to spam A and you have no influence on the result.
True, and I believe these two arrive at level 50, so one can easily just plug their stats into an IV calculator to get an accurate picture of the IV's that aren't perfect.

Hey, don't know if you want to include this since it's an event pokemon and all, but just went through finding all max stats for Hoopa since I couldn't find them anywhere. Probably just my poor research skills...

Hoopa stats:

HP:155
Boosted: 143/88/187/165/99
Neutral: 130/80/170/150/90
Reduced: 117/72/153/135/81

Edit: How did I miss the above posts... Oh well. Feel kinda dumb now for not just using a stat calculator.
-sigh-

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)