Project ArcheTYPE Cores (Ice/Flying/Fighting Offense)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Hi, these three mons work pretty well together. Liepard and Kangaskhan appreciate the Toxic Spikes and Spikes that Garbodor sets up, Garbodor also resists Fighting-type attacks for the other two (although that should be an obvious defensive synergy in a type core thread). Lure Liepard is great for baiting in and getting rid of most of the common fighting types in NU (it does like 86 min to Gurdurr with Knock Off + Play Rough if they're not clever enough to Mach Punch you to death, and I'm pretty sure it reliably dispatches the others) as well as luring in and weakening or KOing Rock-type Pokemon that give Kangaskhan trouble. Kangaskhan is pretty self explanatory, one of the best Normal-type attackers we have, able to wear down its checks and counters with the assistance of residual hazard damage from Garbodor and its useful priority and coverage moves.
Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail / Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch / Aqua Tail / Fire Punch

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

Liepard @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Play Rough
- Grass Knot

edit: can people put the mons in a nice N-P-D order so that the whole thread looks cleaner? it really bugged me when all the F-W-G cores were represented that the types were all over the place.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Tail
- Sucker Punch

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Mightyena @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

I ended up with basically the same core as Kiyo with Mightyena over Liepard, but the whole premise was still hazards + priority so I decided to roll with something else.

I still wanted to do something with Mightyena because it's a cool Pokemon, so I focused the other two Pokemon on helping to handle its main weaknesses. Vileplume patches up Mightyena's terrible Fighting weakness (Fairy too, but this isn't too relevant in NU). It also helps with Mightyena's most relevant counter in the tier, Rhydon, by switching into it reliably throughout the match and constantly threatening it whenever it comes in. Another smaller benefit is that Vileplume takes care of Quagsire, which neither Kangaskhan nor Mightyena can reliably break. Hidden Power Ground lets Vileplume lure in Garbodor and Klinklang, two other Pokmeon that Mightyena sometimes struggles to beat. Kangaskhan offers Mightyena some wallbreaking power and helps make up for its poor Speed a bit with its own dual priority. Although Vileplume reliably checks Rhydon throughout the match, you need it to be taken out or terribly weakened before you can finish the game with Mightyena. Aqua Tail on Kangaskhan gives a great way to do this, and although you miss out on Earthquake, Hidden Power Ground on Vileplume does basically all the same things that Earthquake on Kangaskhan would do. People expect to be able to set up on Vileplume with Klinklang and Garbodor, which makes HP Ground on Vileplume more effective than Earthquake on Kangaskhan.

So I went through a few different ideas with this challenge, I knew from the start I wanted to use Malamar as my dark type because he's simply an awesome mon that I enjoy using, but I didn't want to use his standard set. I also played with a few different ideas for the normal type. I really, really love Ursaring but it has a few problems. It's largely outclassed by Zangoose, because without Guts it hits harder, but if you run quick feet you're frankly not THAT fast and you miss a ton of damage unless you're able to set up a SD. I was able to make it work but largely due to outplays. I ran it on a trick room team, then it dawned on me. The MVP of the team, which happens to have a normal typing was my M-Dino. I used a TR setting offensive set and it worked wonders! Luring in multiple mons a match and disposing of them quickly. Why was I trying so hard to make Ursaring work when I had what I needed already on the team?

So I wanted to go with something different from what was being posted (they were posted for good reason, they're very effective cores.) I'm not saying what I'm using is great by any means, but it's fun and good enough to make it work. I wouldn't say M-Dino is uncommon on TR teams nowadays (not that people run TR) due to it being a bulky setter that's bulky enough to set it up multiple times if need be. It also gets a plethora of coverage moves to lure in what you'd like, I'm using what I feel is optimal. Vileplume is unorthodox but I feel is pretty effective right now. It has a fairly high SpA for what is usually a bulky pokemon. I've got STABs and the last coverage move is your choice. Sleep Powder is for general utility and making your life a bit easier. Malamar's set is one I quite enjoy running. I've seen variants that are 3 attacks+rest because they enjoy the added coverage, but I'm TR over Psycho Slash. A complaint people have with Malamar is that it's not THAT fast. Running it with/on TR sorta helps remedy that. Boost up, kill things. You could put the attack EVs into SpD but you only have so many turns of TR and I like hitting hard from the beginning. Overall a solid enough core IMO without any glaring weaknesses. Obviously you can't just paste it on any team and have to build around it, but hey give it a try. It's pretty fun.

Malamar @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Trick Room
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Grass Knot
- Fire Blast
- Dazzling Gleam

Vileplume @ Life Orb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 0 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ground]

alternative more supporty Audino set if you don't wanna donk common switchins. This is specially defensive but if you want an even slower paced TR team run m-dino physically defensive and mala SpD

Audino @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Encore
- Healing Wish
- Yawn

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet / Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Pain Split / Taunt
- Flamethrower

Audino-Mega @ Audinite
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This abuses the more defensive nature of this type combination. Weezing destroys most powerful fighting and steel types (you can run the speedy taunt set to beat Mala and shit but tbh Mega Audino beats those anyways). Zweilous can chew the CM Psychics w/ Psyshock that beat the other two mons / stall in general and provides a really reliable switchin into most strong special water and fire wallbreakers who threaten the other two. CroDino is just a great mon in general so no need to explain there but pretty much chews knock off which is really important for Zweilous and can beat random stuff like Mala and stuff. Cool defensive mons.

Mixed Ebelt Liepard bluffs the standard pivot set and lures in mons that give Tauros and Arbok trouble such as Rhydon, Quag, Piloswine and other bulky grounds/rocks with Grass Knot. Liepard also gets rid of ghosts and psychics that can threaten Arbok and heavily damage Fighting mons that threaten Tauros with Play Rough. With Encore/Knock Off Liepard also deals with CM Psychics who can threaten Tauros/Arbok. Arbok can deal with Fighting Mons that threaten Tauros/Liepard and set up on the majority of them with Intimidate, it's Poison Type and Coil. It also uses Mega Audino as set up fodder, a mon that Tauros and Liepard have issues breaking through. Tauros appreciates these team mates in dealing with his checks and can "lure" ferroseed, an issue for Arbok/Liepard, with Fire Blast and can wallbreak early game to allow Liepard to clean or Arbok to sweep with Coil. The item choices for Arbok depend on your preference or team choice. Choose your resist berry for set up opportunities, black sludge if you rely on Arbok to be your primary poison/fighting/grass check or Life Orb for immediate power. Ive seen people run Life Orb on Lure Liepard to guarantee certain kills on the mons it lures but your opponent might see it coming if they see the LO recoil so you can go with Ebelt depending on what you intend to lure.

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Blast

Arbok @ Payapa Berry/Shuca Berry/Black Sludge/Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Coil

Liepard @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Play Rough
- Encore

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Alright guys it is time to vote for the balanced
cores! To vote just post the username of the core you're voting for. Remember you guys get 2 votes! Good luck!

TTFTW

Holiano

Kiyo

ryan

Machineae

Brawlfest

DoubleBullShyte

Normal:

Poison:

Dark:

Also to address Kiyo's point, I do strongly stress that it would be a lot cleaner to have them in order per se. But I am not going to make a requirement because I don't want that to be the reason this thread has no activity, but again I strongly suggest to put them in the order of the type. Anyways, have fun voting and see you guys ~Sunday.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DoubleBullShyte because Arbok
somehow TTFTW is the only one with Skuntank so I pick him too

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
TTFTW - 5
Kiyo - 4
Ryan - 2
DoubleBullShyte - 2
Holiano - 1
Brawlfest - 1

The winner this week is TTFTW with the runner-up being Kiyo. This week is a bit weird, but I believe it works because it has a lot of options available to it. This week is going to be
offensive cores. All three of these attacking types are very potent in the current NU meta and I feel like some creativity can be applied here as well. Good luck and see you guys on Friday for voting! :)

Here is a core i've builded around recently, i really like it a lot. At least,we can see there is nothing who can wall this completely. While Audino and ferroseed are completely fucked up by SD Rocks Rhydon, Cuno defeat the bulky water and the grass type while Floatzel is here for things like Sawk (after rocks ofc), Pyroar, Magmortar, Archeops. While Rhydon and Articuno lack of speed, Floatzel is here to cancel this. Floatzel can also act like a taunt user to prevent the rocks setter to annoy Articuno.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast

Articuno @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Hurricane

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserve Crustle + Jynx + Samurott

Here's a pretty savage offensive core that can overwhelm most teams with their powerful attacks. First up, Crustle is one of the most consistent hazard setters in the tier, as it is guaranteed to get up SR and a layer of Spikes, thanks to Custap Berry. Crustle can also use Shell Smash to grab some early-game KO's, most notably against Xatu, which deters it from getting up hazards at all. Up next, Jynx is a pretty powerful mid-game hole puncher, opening windows for a partner to set up and clean up late game. Jynx can also incapacitate a foe with Lovely Kiss, allowing for an easy set up. Finally, mixed Samurott rounds out the core by providing some much needed priority, and some excellent wall-breaking power for the core. Samurott also can use Taunt to prevent the opponent from setting up entry hazards, as this core is quickly worn down by Stealth Rock / Spikes & Life Orb recoil.

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast

Jynx @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash / Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
- Taunt

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost

Vanilluxe @ Life Orb
Ability: Ice Body
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Frost Breath

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Megahorn

good core that covers each others defensive answers very nicely. Fire-types that trouble Vanilluxe are pressured by the other two. Vanilluxe puts a lot of pressure on a lot of the defensive mons that can switch into the other two. Vilplume, Quagsire, and Lanturn for Samurott and Rhydon, Ferroseed, and Rotom-S for Archeops. Archeops wallbreaks and cleans like it does. HP Grass lures in Quag for Samu and gives it an edge against weakened Rhydons. I'd pair this core with a spinner, bulky rocker (prolly pilo or mes), and an offensive pivot (maybe HexTom?) so I can keep up offensive pressure without getting whittled.

Last edited:

OM

It's a starstruck world
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Frogadier @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
- Grass Knot
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Surprisingly Decent offensive core that uses Boltbeam, err, I mean Rotom-Frost to threaten the grass types that scare kabutops and frogadier, Fire types are checked by frogadier and Kabutops and although it's rather threatened by Sawk and other fighting types, but most of them are checked by frogadier's HP Psychic. Also screws around with some walls by getting Rotom-Frost to switch choice scarves onto them, and Will-O-wisp wrecks Shedinja. Frogadier and Kabutops provides speed control with priority and natural speed. Most of the Time, Rotom-Frost pivots into the other two and kabutops and frogadier are pretty good at checking things.

Last edited:

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus

Golem @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Nasty Plot

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Toxic

The Sash offense core. Golem and Jynx are powerful Sturdy/Sash abusers that can one-time check just about anything, and Prinplup gets rid of Stealth Rock so that they can stay at full health. Most notable for Kiyo's Shedinja team, but I built a team around the core without Shedinja and it looks fun. Klinklang is a threat; Prinplup checks it but relies on Scald, so another soft check to it is nice. They also appreciate a fast Pokemon since their sash won't remain intact forever

nv

The Lost Age
Alright guys it is time to vote for the offensive
cores! To vote just post the username of the core you're voting for. Remember you guys get 2 votes! Good luck!

Holiano

Dr Ciel

Disjunction

CorruptedFlame

Pokedots

Rock:

Ice:

Water:

I will vote if there is a tie, otherwise voting will go until ~Sunday / Monday! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)