Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Shouldn't Leader be below Room Owner in /groups? Because they are a higher rank.

And maybe adding ! Muted and ‽ Locked to it? Because people asked what Locked meant in the Help room as well.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
In terms of room dynamics ROs appear above Leaders which is why it's that way I guess, it's more geared to rooms than global.

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
when you click someone's username to see in which rooms he is I think it should also let you see if that user is in a private room you have already joined or you're auth in. don't know if I explained that very well lol :|

For team preview in gen 5 & 6 games, being able to see if a mon has an item would be nice. This is a feature in the actual games. It's not a huge deal and tends to not really be a deal breaker within a match, but some times it's nice to know if a Talonflame is carrying Acrobatics rather than Brave Bird.

Change the decay formula so that it doesn't work so quickly. I went from 2000->1995 in only a few hours after going to bed. Decay shouldn't kick in for at least 24 hours.

It would be nice to have a special roomintro (or perhaps special ID assigned to a portion of the main roomintro) that allows specified users (namely, bots) to automatically update parts of the intro. Saves having to bug an RO for things like updating room-wide events. Alternatively, just add a command to PS that ROs can use to allow specific users to access the /roomintro command! ;o

Change the decay formula so that it doesn't work so quickly. I went from 2000->1995 in only a few hours after going to bed. Decay shouldn't kick in for at least 24 hours.
I believe it happens at a specific time for everyone, everyday, rather "kicking in" based on the user's activity.

Supporting the idea of Team Preview showing whether a Pokemon is helding an item, as it is how in-game battles work. It also makes a notable difference with LC Fletchling, getting to know if it's going to be a set with no item or not.

I believe it happens at a specific time for everyone, everyday, rather "kicking in" based on the user's activity.
That's kind of silly. Isn't the purpose of decay to stop people from sitting on their ladder rank and encourage people to play? If everyone drops at the same time based on a function of how close they played to that time and how high their ELO is, then that doesn't really accomplish the goal of encouraging people to play.

I don't know if this is really needed, but perhaps an option just to ignore someone in pms and not in chatrooms... roomauth often have to deal with people being dumb in pms (in being stubborn and belligerent in appealing and stuff) but you really cant /ignore them since they'd often come back in public chat rooms to spam/troll/shitpost again.

Sorry if any of these suggestions have already been suggested and discussed or are being developed.

I refer to the "info sheet" as the thing that pops up by hovering over a pokemon in battle.

I suggest that...

- once you have selected your move, you can still freely look over your team, current moves of the players active pokemon and the info sheets of the rest as opposed to it all being replaced by a blank space until the turn is up or you undo your move.

- info sheets on any of your opponent's pokemon should always be accessible by hovering over their respective sprite as opposed to just their HP.

- base stats be added to the info sheet of your opponent's pokemon.

- when hovering over certain things visible to you on any info sheet a new one is generated with detailed information on it such as what a move or ability does.

- a move type effectiveness table be added to a pokemon's info sheet and made visible by hovering over it.

- stat changes be applied to the player's pokemon's info sheet and/or moves as a result of the pokemon's ability, ailments and multipliers (provided a statistical change is made) with the changes highlighted in bold.

- when there is a choice of abilities that an opponent's pokemon can have, allow the player to select and reselect one of them whereby upon selection, what ever changes the ability makes is then applied to the info sheet (provided it makes a visible statistical change) again with any changes highlighted in bold.

- opponents base stats change as a result of status ailments and multipliers.

- hovering over any ailment opens an info sheet with information about it.

- hovering over bold stat change generates a new info sheet listing the reason/s for it.

- a pokemon with the status ailment "Toxic" be given a counter on the number of times it has taken effect with the counter resetting upon withdrawal and/or states how much HP will be lost on the next turn.

- anything that causes a loss/gain in HP be recorded with it's +/-X HP% in the chat room log.

- there be an option for players to disable any and all information currently and what will be provided.

- "time taken to move" be recorded.

- all information accessible by the players in a battle be accessible by the viewers of a replay.

I suggested the first couple because you provide the information under specific circumstances and then proceed to "hide" it under other circumstances. Why?

The bulk of these I think would be of great benefit mainly for beginners who have little to no understanding on what anything does or who don't realise "x" happens because of "y"; the number of times I've seen players (myself included) forget something and end up wasting a move and/or taking tremendous damage, losing a pokemon or just the game. Pokemon is complex to a beginner so having all this information to hand allows them to quickly familiarise themselves with the mechanics of Pokemon . These can also help those more familiar with the game but aren't too sure about one or two things otherwise it IMO makes PS a bit more streamline.

On the other hand it does take a more hand held approach and so could make players reliant on PS feeding them with the information rather than memorising which is why I feel the option to disable the helping aids should be there for the more serious players.

I've found the replays to be quite lacklustre. You don't know what's going on until it happens, what options any of the players had or what pressure they were under deciding a move to play so when a move is made you can't or at least I can't truly appreciate the situation unless it's obvious.

Thanks for taking a look anyhow. I hope at least one of my suggestions will prove useful and I await your thoughts.

P.S. This is my first post. I've been playing PS for almost 6 months here and there so I'm no expert, I almost exclusively play random singles battles and I do understand that most of the information can be found using commands. I also have no idea of the difficulties implementing any of these so please don't bash me, I just want to help.

I was thinking of adding more avatars such as a few of the anime characters And a few more different sprite options such as the 3 parts of a koga sprite and some of the other characters from the show or have appeared

Here is a list

If users have more of a variety of sprites they dont have to ask to get into private rooms w/ avatars.

As of now the only avatar thats not an official sprite and shows up is the #294 avatar which is a ash avi.

Implementing new versions of sprite and or new people will benefit alot because certain users dont like the options we have because its very limited

Mod Edit (merging posts because triple post): Sorry the link didnt go through ill leave a link now

http://orig01.deviantart.net/04c5/f...iner_sprites_by_artfanloveswolves-d5ql37m.png

Here is an example (I boxed the sprite)
http://prntscr.com/98egkr

To the left is a whitney avatar

And to the right is a Erika Avatar

Some users like the different forms of a sprite. The Different forms are from the pokemon games when u challenged the gym leader and they did their signature thingy.

Once Implemented it broadens the horizon of sprites being able to be used with out being staff and not only having the #294 (ash) avatar available for users not in private rooms

there are also The 3 Eeevee Brothers, Different Sprites for the gym leaders and others, Different ash Sprites, And team rocket sprites, And even some from the anime

Some of them have 3 parts if its a double sprite like the team rocket (yellow + green) The Girl (Yellow Hair) (The Boy Green Hair) And then both of them combined

Last edited by a moderator:
About server-side banned phrases for publicofficial rooms.

This has already been implemented in sparkybottt, who will mute a user for 7 minutes when they use a banned phrase.
However, it's lead to some users just accepting the 7-mute and getting themselves muted "for fun".

I'd really like it if banned phrases were done server-side.
Just like trying to use a broadcast command when you're not voiced, the server would not accept a message containing one.

Last edited:
However, it's lead to some users just accepting the 7-mute and getting themselves muted "for fun".
Easy: punish those who like to have such edgy fun with room bans.

I'd really like it if banned phrases were done server-side.
This is actually not a bad idea, but the bots already do a good enough job, so... No need to duplicate the work.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/350cup-299961002

I'd like to see Endless Battle Clause potentially cover situations like this.
For those who are too lazy to watch the actual battle, here's what happened. After a while (around turn 100-120) both players realized that, if the opponent never attacked, they had several Pokémon that could constantly switch in to Stealth Rock and recover the damage without using PP through various means (Poison Heal, Leftovers, Magic Guard, Regenerator). Then both players realized that if they actually did attack, their opponent could punish them with no prediction required. This led to both players switching in a constant pattern with no net damage ever done or PP ever used. While this technically isn't forcing an endless battle, this is a situation where either player can break the endless loop, but if they do so, they lose. Please fix Endless Battle Clause to cause ties in situations like this. I know it already works with constant switching as seen in Sturdinja vs. Switch Stall (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-287712091).

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
During a tour, have the ability to see the current score.

It's really annoying for inpatient users like myself who can't wait until its their time to battle. I think it would be nice for those type of users, so this way they can see when their battle will be ready instead of having to ask the users battling.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Remove the more inactive old gens ladders (e.g. anything with significantly lower activity than gen 1 ou which is fairly active), most of the tiers should be challenge only if that would do any good whatsoever to reduce server lag or anything of that sort, and open up space for other formats. They should be kept as challenge options.

I don't think a ladder that's not played causes any server lag at all; it has to be code that's actually run.

Remove the more inactive old gens ladders (e.g. anything with significantly lower activity than gen 1 ou which is fairly active), most of the tiers should be challenge only if that would do any good whatsoever to reduce server lag or anything of that sort, and open up space for other formats. They should be kept as challenge options.
But they are official Smogon formats. There's nothing to add so I don't know what you need to open up space for.

I'd like to see a command called /neutralcoverage (shortened to /nc) that shows which Pokémon, including abilities, resist several moves (or types) with the conditions specified. So "/nc Freeze Dry, Water, uu" would show all UU or lower Pokémon that resist Freeze Dry and a Water move(Currently Jynx, Dewgong, and their prevo's). Conditions can be stuff like Gravity, Mold Breaker, Scrappy, or Inverse.

Milak

Stoïque fierté
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It would be cool if the command /rank also showed your # on the ladder, it's quite boring always having to check the ladder and having to look for your name to check it

It would be cool if the command /rank also showed your # on the ladder, it's quite boring always having to check the ladder and having to look for your name to check it
That. And the other way around, it would be cool if Wins/Losses/Ties showed on http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/ladder as well.
The way it is right now, you have to do /rank for each individual player to find out who made reqs and who didn't, for example.

--

PS: The ladder could also be sortable by other stats like GXE if you click on it.
(Really just a small thing, if it's easy to do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)