Tyrunt (revamp) (QC: 1/3), (GP:0/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[OVERVIEW]

Tyrunt's unique Rock / Dragon typing and one of the most viable Dragon types in LC. Having access to Dragon Dance as well as Strong STABs makes it a notable wallbreaker that can easily pierce teams. The Sturdy ability, versatile HP range and high defenses allow it to set up more easly then other Dragon Dancers such as Axew, Corphish and Scraggy. Tyrunt also has access to STAB Dragon Tail and Stealth Rock, making it an effective phazer, despite it's competition with Onix and Hippopotas.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance Sweeper
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake / Zen Headbutt
item: Berry Juice
ability: Sturdy
nature: Jolly
evs: 204 Atk / 76 SpD / 212 Spe

Moves
========
Tyrunt has Dragon Dance to combine with 15 Speed letting it out speed the entire unboosted metagame after a Dragon Dance. A +1 STAB Outrage is able to pick up the KO on the vast majority of his checks, Dragon Claw however is useful if Tyrunt's counters like Ferroseed/Fairy types aren't easily removed sadly it lacks power. Rock Slide has good accuracy and picks up all the important KO's that Stone Edge would, Stone Edge however does see noticeable difference in damage out put, but its accuracy leaves it as a secondary choice. Earthquake is useful to ensure neutral and wide super effective coverage in combination with Rock Slide/Stone Edge. Zen Headbutt on the other hand allows you to 2HKO fight/Poison-Types without being locked into Outrage.

Set Details
========
23 HP IV's are necessary to get optimal use of Berry Juice and Sturdy to give you optimal set up opportunity. The EV's give Tyrunt 15 Speed and optimal Attack. Jolly nature allows it to outspeed scarfed 14 speed users. The remaining IV's can be put in either Defense or Special Defense as both have slight influence in reducing damage.

Usage Tips
========
If Tyrunt's ability and item have preserved correctly it will give set up opportunities against practically anything but you should aim to set up against Normal- or Flying-types. Don't set up until Tyrunt's counters and checks have been hit by Knock Off or weakened, as then the extra power from Dragon Dance will allow for a sweep. Using Memento or Parting Shot creating more of a set up opportunity is helpful but not necessary. Try scouting for potential checks like Choise Scarfed Mienfoo or anything able to outspeed after a +1 boost.

Team Options
========
Gothita and Wynaut are fine choices for eliminating fighting-types, Wynaut can also turn pokemon into set up bait with encore.
Croagunk and Pancham can be useful for luring in or eliminating Fairy types like Spritzee by hitting it with super effective Poison-type attacks or Knock Off making it much easier to sweep later in game, Pancham can also make use of Parting Shot allowing it to create set up opportunity. Entry hazard setters such as Ferroseed or Trubbish will help Tyrunt achieve some more KOs. Notably Cottonee is able to proving good synergie threatening the majority of checks as well as providing Memento, Stun Spore and Knock Off support.
Spritzee can again be used as a strong allies as it can Wish pass and Heal Bell keeping Tyrunt status free and Healthy. Having some form of hazard control with Rapid Spin or Defog on the team is essential meaning Drilbur and Vullaby are nice cut for this job. Finally Knock Off users like Pawniard make good allies as they are able to weaken the opposing team making sweeping with or without boost much easier, Pawniard in particular makes a good ally as it reliably deals with fairy types and baits all the other answers to Tyrunt allowing you to weaken them. Same counts counts for Magnemite who in addition can scout for set up chances with Volt-Switch.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock Phazer
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Dragon Tail
move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 4: Earthquake / Brick Break / Zen Headbutt
item: Berry Juice
ability: Sturdy
nature: Jolly
evs: 204 Atk / 60 Def / 212 Spe

Moves
========
STAB Dragon Tail can be utilized to punish switch-ins giving it an edge in damage output over other Phazers. Stone Edge is Tyrunt's strongest STAB move for this set, Rock Slide can be used as well for more accuracy but this lacks damage output. The last move Earthquake in combination with Stone Edge makes one of the best coverage combinations in the game. Zen Headbutt is amazing coverage in this tier, with Tyrunt's high physical attack it's able to 2HKO the vast majority of the tier after after being weakened by Stealth Rock damage including it's answers Pancham and Timburr. Brick Break on the other hand can be used to 1HKO Pawniard.

Set Details
========
23 HP IV's are necessary to hit 21 HP allowing full HP to be restored after being knocked into the Sturdy ability.The EV investment is to maximize it's speed allowing it to outspeed the 14 speed tier including Magnemite and offencive Vullaby. The Attack investment is to gain optimal damage output. The remaining EV's are put into Defense making it deal better with Flying Types. If there is Wish support on the team it should be considered to use Eviolite with a spread of 52 HP/ 204 Atk / 140 Def / 76 Spd.

Usage Tips
========
Tyrunt has the usefull Berry Juice and Sturdy combination ensuring it to survive 2 hits. Because of this usefull combination the user should keep Tyrunt's HP at maximum at all costs, this includes having Hazard controll as this is the easiest way to shut down the ability. Take opportunities to set up Stealth Rock or use Dragon Tail if it's already up. It should phaze every opponant it can't ensure the kill on, this way you weardown your opponant for your allies and also prevent him from defogging or spinning your Stealth Rocks away. You have watch out for Fairy types not only do they shut you down from using Dragon Tail but they also can take advantage of your weakness.

Team Options
========
For the Eviolite set; Spritzee is the best partner as it can switch into Fighting-type attacks, keep Tyrunt alive with Wish allowing Tyrunt to take better advantage of Eviolite and could eliminating status what is a general positive to the team. In addition, Spritzee could use Calm Mind as well taking advantage of the worn down opponents. The Berry Juice version wants to have Rapid Spinners and Defoggers like Vullaby as these ensure the Sturdy ability stays active. Other options such as Magnemite, Pawniard, and Skrelp can tank the Steel- and Fairy-type attacks aimed at Tyrunt while Tyrunt can absorb Fire-type attacks for the former two. Pumpkaboo is immune to Fighting and resists Ground while also being a spinblocker to keep Stealth Rock up against Drilbur and Staryu. Lastly, Trubbish can take on Fighting- and Fairy-types ,absorb Knock Off ensuring Berry Juice stays up and putting Spikes or Toxic Spikes to build up on Dragon Tail damage. In addition, Skrelp can also set up Toxic Spikes.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Choise Scarf can be used to turn Tyrunt into an effective revenge killer as it can hit 15 speed or 19 attack, Sadly it lacks damage output compared to what the Dragon Dance-set can do. A completely different set with 52 HP / 124 Atk / 76 SpD / 212 Spe, Adamant nature holding Eviolite and utilizing the Strong Jaw ability can be used for the Dragon Dance-set and allows you to make use of Fire Fang over EQ/ZHB to deal with Ferroseed as well as Cottonee and Ice Fang to heavily damage Ground-types. A Rest and Sleep Talk set allows for a more durable approach but it lacks coverage as you want to run Dragon Tail/Earthquake and Stone Edge, Dragon Tail in this prevent you from being set up bait against anything but Fairy-types. In addition Curse can be combined with Dragon Tail allowing you to slowly wither down the opponent, but completely blocked by Fairy-types. Rock Tomb can be used on the Phaze-set giving further support as well as letting it outspeed anything unboosted in the metagame. Finally Iron Tail gives coverage against Fairy-types but has unfortunate accuracy and hits little else.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types such as Spiritzee and Snubbull both threaten Tyrunt with their super effective STAB moves, while being immune to Tyrunt's Dragon STAB moves. Cottonee especially can be worrisome as it can make Tyrunt set up bait with Encore and Memento.
While they should watch out for Iron Tail, this still doesn't always pick up a 2HKO on Snubble and Spritzee.

**Ground-types**: Ground-Types such as Hippopotas and Drilbur deal heavy damage to Tyrunt with super effective STAB moves and posses the bulk necessary to threaten both set options. Drilbur can hit trough Sturdy and Rapid Spin away Stealth Rocks. While Hippopotas can Phaze the Dragon Dance set, sadly gets phazed out by Dragon Tail for the Phazing set.

**Fighting-types**:
The multitude of strong Fighting-types such as Timburr, Mienfoo, Pancham, and Scraggy all give Tyrunt major trouble.
They can easily check the Dragon Dance set if it lacks Zen Headbutt by damaging and recover at the same time with a Super effective Drain Punch or Knock Off its Berry Juice.

**Steel-types**: While they should be wary of Earthquake, Magnemite with Sturdy can switch in on anything as long as it has not taken any prior damage, and can threaten with Flash Cannon. Pawniard threatens the Stealth Rock set if it lacks Brick Break, Scarf Pawniard outspeeds +1 Tyrunt and can remove or heavily damage Tyrunt with Knock Off and Iron Head respectively. Lastly Ferroseed only has to watch out for a Strong Jaw set with Fire fang as it's able to take any other attack, punish Outrage thanks to Iron Barbs and shut down Tyrunt's speed with Thunder Wave.

Last edited:

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
I would mention pawniard as a good partner for tyrunt, it checks opposing pawniard and it can helps spam Knock Off, on fighters such as Mienfoo, allowing Tyrunt to swep easier.

did you just c/p all the descriptions from the old analysis? that kind of defeats the purpose of a revamp...

did you just c/p all the descriptions from the old analysis? that kind of defeats the purpose of a revamp...
No i actualy used it as a base for the revamp, i actualy edited the majority of the lines only leaving some parts and the general lay out untouched, all parts were changed where possible, what i did. For example i kept the main lines of the Overview but edited the sentences to what it ressembels currently. (objectively speaking there isn't too mutch that has changed outside of the set's and the viability of the set's now getting better moves and ability options)

Last edited:

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You need to update your analysis to the new format before QC can begin. I'd also suggest taking a close look at things like movesets and other options.

New Format:
[OVERVIEW]

Generalize what the Pokemon does in the metagame and as a whole and why you should or shouldn't consider using it on your teams.

[SET]
name: SET NAME
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
item:
ability:
nature:
evs:

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Describe what the moves on the set do.

Set Details
========

Describe the other aspects of the set such as what the EVs do and nature/item.

Usage Tips
========

Describe how to use the Pokemon in question.

Team Options
========

Describe some teammates that would be a good idea to pair with this Pokemon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

List some options for the Pokemon user that are plausible but not always recommended due to either being not consistent enough or too outclassed by other Pokemon in the metagame.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Insert Threat Here**: Describe why the Pokemon is a threat.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Your [SET] headers need to be capitalized but otherwise it's good

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there. Re-entering the QC fray after something of an absence. Let's take a look at this, shall we?

OVERVIEW
Tyrunt has competition as a sweeper from much more than Axew, unfortunately. Scraggy and Corphish have good coverage with which to make use of Dragon Dance, as well as arguably better defensive typings. However, at +1/+1 (or even just with a scarf), very little can stop Tyrunt from annihilating teams with its incredibly strong Outrage. This, along with its ability to counter Fletchling, should be given the greatest emphasis in the overview.

STEALTH ROCK PHASER
Second QC opinion welcome here
I kind of have some problems with what this set is trying to accomplish all at once. You're suggesting lowering Tyrunt's HP IV at the same time you're trying to give it enough HP IVs to be sort of bulky. I believe this set should go one way or the other; bulky and slow, or fast and offensive. Since Hippopotas absolutely holds the monopoly on bulky, and you're using Berry Juice in order to effectively give him two lives at the cost of bulk, you should change the set into a faster lead variant -- kind of like what Onix is, only, it relies on its raw power and coverage in order to differentiate itself.

With that, here is what I suggest you turn the set into.

Tyrunt @ Berry Juice
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 204 Atk / 60 HP / 212 Spe
Jolly nature
IVs: 23 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt / Earthquake / Brick Break

The fourth move order is entirely up to you, really, but that's my opinion on what its most viable picks are. ZHB is just amazing coverage in this tier, and it 2HKOes the majority of the tier with a weakness to it after rocks. EQ is generic coverage, and it goes great with Rock, while Brick Break surprises Pawniard. Anything else not listed is kinda too niche to warrant a mention.

USAGE TIPS
Change this to reflect this set as less of a phaser and more of an offensive hazard setter. Tyrunt simply isn't built to last.

TO BE CONTINUED

Tyrunt @ Berry Juice
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 204 Atk / 60 HP / 212 Spe
Jolly nature
IVs: 23 Spe
May i ask what the use of 23 speed IV's are? You basicaly invest in speed to get faster and drop points without anything other then wasting Points you could invest in Defence (you gain 1 point in defence with 60). Is this ment to be 15 speed allowing me to potentially check pokes like magnemite, and outspeeding chinchou and sutch?

As for the HP drop: it put's me into Berry Juice range if i take an attack that would normaly kill me + healing me back to full, something i could not do if i have any investment or anything above 21 HP, something i can achieve by droping HP IV's. ANOTHER FORM of the set using eviolite run's HP investment, there is no notation of any investment in the Berry Juice set so i do not understand where you got that from. No where is noted tyrunt is to last long it's literaly made to live atleast 2 hit's, the physical defence investment barely does any difference tho.

I understand the point of changing it's speed tier into a more versatile hight, however i don't think you see the use of the strengt it has, Onix has a better speed tier yes allowing it to outspeed Magnemite, Pawniard and speed tie Mienfoo to stop Taunt (26% run it + you have 50% to outspeed it.). However tyrunt has:
204 Atk Tyrunt Dragon Tail vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 7-9 (33.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
204 Atk Tyrunt Zen Headbutt vs. 140 HP / 100 Def Eviolite Pancham: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
204 Atk Tyrunt Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 10-14 (41.6 - 58.3%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
204 Atk Tyrunt Zen Headbutt vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Also generaly mutch higher physical attack for both Dragon Tail and Stone Edge(yea... Rock Blast....). Differentiating it from Onix by power is wider then you are suggesting it to be a too small to note difference especialy how lardge this damage difference is.
If the point of the Eviolite spread wasn't clear i could split that one in 2 aswell.
I will change the spread into a faster Tyrunt but i just want to be fully clear about the subject before i change it.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
May i ask what the use of 23 speed IV's are? You basicaly invest in speed to get faster and drop points without anything other then wasting Points you could invest in Defence (you gain 1 point in defence with 60). Is this ment to be 15 speed allowing me to potentially check pokes like magnemite, and outspeeding chinchou and sutch?

As for the HP drop: it put's me into Berry Juice range if i take an attack that would normaly kill me + healing me back to full, something i could not do if i have any investment or anything above 21 HP, something i can achieve by droping HP IV's. ANOTHER FORM of the set using eviolite run's HP investment, there is no notation of any investment in the Berry Juice set so i do not understand where you got that from. No where is noted tyrunt is to last long it's literaly made to live atleast 2 hit's, the physical defence investment barely does any difference tho.

I understand the point of changing it's speed tier into a more versatile hight, however i don't think you see the use of the strengt it has, Onix has a better speed tier yes allowing it to outspeed Magnemite, Pawniard and speed tie Mienfoo to stop Taunt (26% run it + you have 50% to outspeed it.). However tyrunt has:
204 Atk Tyrunt Dragon Tail vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 7-9 (33.3 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
204 Atk Tyrunt Zen Headbutt vs. 140 HP / 100 Def Eviolite Pancham: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
204 Atk Tyrunt Zen Headbutt vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 10-14 (41.6 - 58.3%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
204 Atk Tyrunt Zen Headbutt vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 10-14 (40 - 56%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Also generaly mutch higher physical attack for both Dragon Tail and Stone Edge(yea... Rock Blast....). Differentiating it from Onix by power is wider then you are suggesting it to be a too small to note difference.
If the point of the Eviolite spread wasn't clear i could split that one in 2 aswell.
I will change the spread into a faster Tyrunt but i just want to be fully clear about the subject before i change it.
Sorry, I meat 23 HP. You do want 15 Speed, as it is good for this thing to out speed stuff like offensive Vullaby and whatnot.

Sorry, I meat 23 HP. You do want 15 Speed, as it is good for this thing to out speed stuff like offensive Vullaby and whatnot.
Implemented, i did change the HP points into defence aswell. I also noted Zen Headbutt into the other options list for the Dragon Dance set. I change the full description of Overview, Set, Moves, Set details and Usage Tips to the form you recomanded.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
Excellent. Here's Part II.

DRAGON DANCE SWEEPER

I would probably give Outrage the first slash over Dragon Claw. Dragon Claw's combination of power and coverage are decidedly lackluster, and the raw power behind Outrage really sets it aside from other sweepers. Rock Slide should get a mandatory slash behind Stone Edge for accuracy reasons, and its third attacking move should be Earthquake / Zen Headbutt, as these provide far better coverage than Fire Fang (only hits Ferroseed, really). With that in mind, Sturdy becomes the superior ability regardless of which item is used.

A Jolly nature should get a second slash, as outspeeding 14 Speed Scarfers is always good.

OTHER OPTIONS

Remove Aerial Ace from OO, as it does not hit antything in the tier for good damage now that ZHB is a thing. Add Iron Tail to Other Options, as it can hit Fairy-types for good damage, however, it has poor coverage and hits little else.

CHECKS AND COUNTERS

Be sure to mention that Fairy-types, Fighting-types, and Steel-types must remain wary of Iron Tail, ZHB, and Earthquake respectively

QC 1/3

I disagree with Earthquake over Fire Fang, with strong Jaw Fire Fang's nearly as strong and hits the same stuff Earthquake would with the added benefit of OHKOing Foongus and Cottonee at +1 after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes. It also gives you the freedom to run Eviolite instead of Berry Juice, meaning you can survive Spritzee's Moonblast. And a neutral Outrage is stronger than a X2 Zen Headbutt, so I'm not really sure why that's in.

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
I disagree with Earthquake over Fire Fang, with strong Jaw Fire Fang's nearly as strong and hits the same stuff Earthquake would with the added benefit of OHKOing Foongus and Cottonee at +1 after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes. It also gives you the freedom to run Eviolite instead of Berry Juice, meaning you can survive Spritzee's Moonblast. And a neutral Outrage is stronger than a X2 Zen Headbutt, so I'm not really sure why that's in.
Strong Jaw Fire Fang hits many of the same foes as Earthquake for comparable damage, yes, but I would argue that hitting the likes of Chinchou and Croagunk among others is more important than getting the drop on Cottonee -- which can lock Tyrunt into a move other than Fire Fang with Encore.

Speaking of being locked into moves, annihilating Mienfoo with Outrage -- although stronger than Zen Headbutt -- can have enormous consequences, as it can pretty much allow something like Spritzee or Pawniard to set up right on Tyrunt's Outrage-locked ass. Zen Headbutt gets pretty wide coverage anyway.

Originaly i intended to list Zen Headbutt in other options untill i realised it's use, not only the limitation in Outrage being locked but rater the fact you can 2HKO fight types more effectively without a boost and only SR damage(SR is something you most definatly would want with any set up sweeper knowing sturdy/Sashed pokes end any sweep), Knowing fight is common and one of your main checks or answeres it should be self explaining.
Earthquake general is so mutch more important then anything, I don't understand how people think Brick break is generaly the better option if it only allowes you to hit 2 things stronger then you would with Dragon Claw at the time, both moves are irrelevant right now as Outrage 2HKO's lileep and EQ 1HKO's Pawniard with a chance to miss out:
+1 204 Atk Tyrunt Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+1 204 Atk Tyrunt Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 204 Atk Tyrunt Outrage vs. 228 HP / 140 Def Eviolite Lileep: 15-18 (57.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Earthquake unquestionably gives more coverage not only allowing you to have Edge-Quake coverage(Ground+Rock) (aka one of the best coverage combos 2 moves could give you since gen 1). It allowes you to hit: Skrelp, Pawniard, Chinchou, Omanyte, Tirtouga, Croagunk, Magnemite and many more, while Fire fang would only allow you to hit: Foongus, Magnemite and Ferroseed as Cottonee can prevent you from sweeping in any other situation that isn't Countering and even in that you did need to klick Fire Fang twice knowing it can encore you into Dragon Dance or block Outrage compleatly. The only notable pokes in this are Ferroseed and Foongus. Yea sure it has use with that.
Small note however
+1 204 Atk Tyrunt Outrage vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Foongus: 25-30 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO, only Knock off support needed
but i am not being picky on that.

More importantly however does Eviolite deserve a special explanation rater then listing it under other options like the original Dex noted? the only possitives I see are rater disapointing as you still get stoped by the same answers including Spritzee who you did need Iron Tail for to even have a chance at KOing it.
Sturdy generally gives you a mutch better chance to set up, the fact you need to keep it hazards free is notable especialy in the currentmeta game ,however knowing practicaly any Bulky Offencive team or Ballenced team should have this support it makes it mutch easier to build with.

There are clear possitives though, I just want to ask if I need to make a special mention of some sort in the set details for it?

Last edited:
This is the last form that I make it in, I currently just can't edit it properly in this week and because things have already been set back and forth I don't think I can finish the project as H&MBerkeley suggested to pass/reassine it to someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)