Spriting Contest - Contest #8: Spriter of the Month: Ice-cold Claws - NEXT CONTEST COMING SOON

Well damn, I got too excited and already made my entry.
Entry:

Here they are, the original bat family.

Regular colour(top) explanation:
I chose the red/black theme for the regular version because I thought it seemed fitting and they are bats and all, and blue/purple is a colour-combo I do not like even if it helps complement the Poison-type theme.

Shiny Colour(bottom) explanation:
The shiny colours are just the inverted colours of their regular colours, simple as that.

All in all, I noticed how Crobat's colours are the reverse of Zubat and Golbat's colours. Golbat is blue(body) and pink/purple(wings) as while Crobat is purple(body) and blue/blue-green(wings). This is further proven by their shiny colours. I kept that kind of reversed-colours pattern because I thought it was cool.

GOOD LUCK to everyone!!!

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Regular version
Reasoning: The reason I picked purple is because purple is a very versatile color that goes well with a lot of brighter colors. Brighter colors obviously taking the focus of your eyes. Complementing it with a bit of a vague yellow-ish color to complement the contrasts.

Shiny version
Reasoning: I tried to 'invert' the color palette making the purple a bit darker, changing green to bright blue and changing the vague yellow-ish color to a bit darker shade. Bright blue works really well purple and yellow fits both as well.

Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited:

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here is my work

Explanations:

I wanted to do just like the regular dratini family colors, dratini and dragonair's colors are related but dragonite colors are totally different. I've chosen to put the dragonite color according to dragonair's orbs and also the colors of the wings. I've made the shiny version a bit brighter compared to the regular one.

Ok done with it
#Dragomir.PNG

I was viewing the most random Chinese gowns two of which catched my eye. So i tried to incorporate those in one of my sprites i.e. Lucario but then I realised Lucario has just one pre evolution. So after quite a time I thought of Hydreigon Line why not use them on it. Plus when i imagine shiny pokemon i quite see them different from normal or rather totally opposite in scheme. Blue+Silver and Red + Gold quite are quite the opposite imo.

Regular Version:(Second one from above)
So these colours were taken from lucario and steelix. At first look it seems that Blue colour is exactly same but on close look you will see its much lighter. The eyes are red (from shiny sprite).The Pattern and "crown" on head is silver. The Silver and Blue go hand in hand and look very fascinating together so i tried to put this incorporeal scheme here.

Inspiration >>

Shiny Version:(First one from above)
So these colors were taken from shiny reshiram and Ledyba. The combination of gold and red looks very regal and gives a stunning combination. The body is red and the Pattern and "crown" are gold which gives it a very posh look.

Inspiration >>

Last edited:

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting Period
All the participants have finished their works, it's time to nominate the best sprites ! During 3 days, everybody on smogon could be able to vote, here are the rules to follow:
  • You will have to vote for 2 sprite families, if you vote two times for the same participant, he will earn 2 points.
  • You will have to vote for one regular sprite family & one shiny sprite family
  • The participants can also vote
  • Give a brief explanation of why you have chosen these 2 families
  • Once you have voted, you can't edit it, so make sure to choose the right sprites.
End of the votes: 03/12/2015

New colorization sprites:

Nightmare Serum

VuvuzelaBzz

Kasumi♥

Awu

Twerkerella

Cynthia612

bobochan

slow mo my bobo
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

My regular sprite family vote goes to Twerkerella.
Was uber disappointed this artist did not enter last week ;-;
Every entry so far has been easy on the eyes and really nice overall, that Flaaffy sprite was SUPERB.

Gotta vote for Nightmare Serum for the shiny sprite family.
This person was not kidding about the whole "Oh now this is my forte".
Regular Crobat reminded me too much of Shiny Charizard, which is a negative for me, otherwise would have killed this week.

Nice job this week to all artists!

Gonna vote for Twerk for regular sprite that roselia sprite is especially eye catching and white and red rose-hands look awesome. For shiny sprite I will go with Vuvu's sprite as the naval blue looks really great on haxorus and yellow color is nicely complementing that.

Reisen

I double vote for Nightmare Serum sprites

The colors in the regular sprites are great, they look like dracula / vampire it is way better than the normal colors in my opinion and the colors of the shiny sprites are also really awesome especially on Crobat, well done

Reisen

Hey guys !

The voting period ends for now, I guess with the semester exams we are all busy irl but I will still announce the winner !

Spriter of the Week - 1st place: Nightmare Serum - 4 votes in total

2nd place:
Twerkerella - 3 votes in total

Twerkerella earns 3 points with this contest and jumps to the first place of the leaderboard !
VuvuzelaBzz earns 1 point for this contest

I hope that you will be more for the Special Christmas contest that is coming for the whole month of december !

Thank you to everyone and be prepared for the next contest that will start the 06/12/2015 !

Reisen

Special Contest
Christmas
Hey guys,

As you all know, Christmas is coming soon, that's why there is a special spriting contest dedicated to that event ! During a month the participants will have to make a specific work related to christmas theme, here are the different rules for this contest:

• The participants will have to make 2 sprites for this contest (it can be a unique pokemon, a unique trainer or a trainer with a pokemon)
  • The participants will have to respect the theme which is Christmas
  • The sprites will have to be in the avatar size which means in 80x80
  • The participants can edit their sprites until we reach to the deadline
  • Do not steal other people creations
How to post for this contest ?

The participants will have to post their two sprites in this way:

Sprite #1: img
Sprite #2: img

For the voting part, the participants and the users will have to vote for the best first sprite and the best second sprite, which means there can be more than a winner for this contest.

To participate just post "In" in the topic to be added as a participant for this contest !

Deadline: 12/01/2016
If the participants don't post their sprites before that date, their participation will not be considered.

Participants:

Awu
S0L1D G0LD
Ice-cold Claws
Nightmare Serum
Cynthia612
VuvuzelaBzz
Erz
SiTuM'parleT'mort
OfficialThatGuy

Christmas sprites:

VuvuzelaBzz

S0L1D G0LD

SiTuM'parleT'mort

Nightmare Serum

OfficialThatGuy

Awu

WINNER OF THE CHRISTMAS CONTEST:

1st place: SiTuM'parleT'mort - 5 votes in total

2nd place: Awu , S0L1D G0LD & VuvuzelaBzz - 3 votes in total

Last edited:
In, as always, about the sprites tho, should they be a scratch sprite(both pokemon and trainer) or an edited official sprite(i.e. Re-coloured Weavile with a santa hat)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)