Espeon

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem

[OVERVIEW]

Espeon sports a fantastic ability in the form of Magic Bounce, which allows it to send status attacks such as Roar back to the opponent's team. Espeon also has great Special Attack and decent Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats such as Cobalion and apply good offensive pressure. Psychic is a great offensive typing in UU, where there are many Fighting-types. While Espeon is not known for being a defensive threat, its decent Special Defense allows it to take a few special attacks, especially alongside Morning Sun. Espeon is also a fairly good Baton Pass user. What holds Espeon back is its shallow offensive movepool, which makes it difficult to deal with most Steel-types. Furthermore, its Psychic typing gives it rather common weaknesses to Dark- and Ghost-type moves. Azelf is also usually a better setup sweeper due to its Speed and access to a superior offensive setup move in Nasty Plot.

[SET]
name: Fancy Glasses Cat
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Dazzling Gleam
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Trick / Psyshock / Baton Pass
item: Choice Specs
ability: Magic Bounce
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic, Espeon's main STAB move, allows it to break through both offensive threats, such as Cobalion, and defensive threats, such as Whimsicott. Dazzling Gleam is a must-have in order to hit prominent Dark-types in the metagame, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile. It also hits Dragon-types fairly hard. Shadow Ball allows Espeon to deal heavy damage to the Psychic- and Ghost-types that usually switch into it, such as Doublade and Reuniclus. Trick is a great option for the 4th moveslot, it lets Espeon heavily cripple some common switch-ins, such as Mandibuzz and Curse Snorlax. Psyshock is here to hit threats such as Florges and Blissey. Shadow Ball and Dazzling Gleam provide coverage against Psychic-types and Dark-types, respectively. Baton Pass allows Espeon to pivot out of a predicted unfavorable switch-in and gain momentum for its teammates.

Set Details
========

The EV spread used in the set maximizes Espeon's Special Attack and provides enough Speed to outspeed Heliolisk and Speed tie with Froslass. Magic Bounce allows Espeon to block entry hazards and status. Choice Specs gives Espeon overwhelming power, allowing it to trouble many offensive team archetypes and walls such as Blissey and Florges.

Usage Tips
========

This set is great at revenge killing relatively healthy threats. Send Espeon in on a predicted support move, such as Stealth Rock. If the opponent has a dedicated lead, such as Krookodile, Espeon can also force it out quite easily and then start to weaken the opposing team. Bringing Espeon in via VoltTurn is a great idea, as Espeon is too frail to switch into normal attacks. Espeon can switch safely into Pokemon that use support moves, such as Blissey, as they can't do much to it in return.

Team Options
========

Espeon has a much easier time cleaning with entry hazards on the opposing field; as such, Pokemon such as Krookodile are good teammates. Dark- and Steel-types force Espeon out, so it greatly appreciates Fighting-types such as Cobalion. Espeon has difficulties switching into powerful attacks, so Pokemon with access to either Volt Switch or U-turn, such as Mienshao and Crobat, are good teammates. Espeon fits incredibly well on offensive archetypes and pairs well with setup sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr, that appreciate Espeon's wallbreaking prowess. Cleaners such as Mega Sharpedo also greatly appreciate Espeon's ability to wear down threats. Wallbreakers such as Heracross are also good teammates.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind Sweeper
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock / Stored Power
move 3: Morning Sun / Baton Pass
move 4: Dazzling Gleam / Baton Pass
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows Espeon to sweep weakened teams. Psyshock is a must-have in order to beat Suicune, Snorlax, Florges, Blissey, and other special sponges quickly so that they can't leave Espeon in KO range for a priority move. Stored Power is also a nice option, allowing Espeon to OHKO Cobalion after two boosts. Morning Sun is a great move to recover any HP Espeon lost due to residual damage and allows it to stall out opposing special attackers. By using Baton Pass instead, Espeon can not only sweep but also turn another Pokemon into a possible wincon. Dazzling Gleam gives Espeon a way to check Hydreigon and hit every Dark-type in UU at least neutrally. The choice between replacing either Dazzling Gleam or Morning Sun with Baton Pass is based on which you feel is more beneficial to your team.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Espeon to hit as hard and fast as possible. Magic Bounce allows Espeon to be a unique sweeper that can't be phazed, Taunted, or statused while also granting its team great entry hazard control. Leftovers is the preferred item to increase Espeon's longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid directly switching Espeon in, as it is really frail and needs to be as healthy as possible to sweep effectively. Use Morning Sun wisely; remember that you have only 8 PP. Keep in mind that Espeon can still become statused by moves such as Scald and Sludge Bomb, so avoid them wherever possible. Use Baton Pass when a teammate has better chances to sweep than Espeon or when you want to avoid a move such as Sucker Punch or Pursuit. Pokemon that Espeon can set up easily on include Suicune, Florges, and Cresselia.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Swampert that can deal with Dark- and Steel-types are great teammates. Swampert also easily deals with Doublade, one of the best checks to Espeon. Powerful cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon, or very powerful and bulky Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos are great teammates if Espeon runs Baton Pass. Volt Switch and U-turn users are also great teammates, as they can bring Espeon in safely when you predict the opponent to use entry hazard or setup moves. Pokemon that require entry hazard control, such as Salamence and Mega Aerodactyl, appreciate Magic Bounce.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can allow Espeon to be a decent cleaner that outspeeds fast Mega Evolutions such as Mega Aerodactyl, but such sets lack offensive pressure and are easy to switch into. A dual screens set might seem good on paper, but Espeon is usually more suited to an offensive role. A Focus Sash set is a very solid anti-lead for offensive teams, but it is usually restricted to really fast-paced teams. Work Up is another option for sets using Baton Pass; however, unlike Calm Mind, Work Up does not increase Espeon's longevity.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon, such as Mega Aerodactyl, and common Choice Scarf users, such as Heracross, are among the best Espeon checks and can easily force it out.

**Pursuit Users**: Pursuit users such as Krookodile can easily check Espeon by trapping and KOing it.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Espeon has problems getting through most Steel-types, especially Doublade, which can set up on Espeon that lack Shadow Ball.

**Priority Users**: Priority easily stops Espeon in its tracks, especially if it's been worn down already. Powerful priority users that check Espeon include Lucario and Entei.

**Bulky Dark-types**: Dark-types, especially those that also carry recovery, such as Umbreon and Mandibuzz, are great answers to Espeon because they are immune to its STAB moves.

**Special Walls**: Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges can tank some hits from Espeon, but they have a hard time against the Calm Mind set.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've used Espeon a crapload, and I'm of the opinion that its primary set should be Choice Specs, with both Psychic and Psyshock to attack both ends of the spectra, in addition to giving you chance for a mid game sweep/late game clean due to its high speed. It's second set should be Calm Mind Baton Pass, which automatically acts as a sort of sweeper depending on the coverage.

Everything else, namely Choice Scarf and Dual Screens, should be in Other Options. I've used Assault Vest as well, and it screws over Scarf Hydreigon + some other mons assuming a Dark Pulse or Shadow Ball will OHKO, such as Scarf Chandelure, Mega Blastoise, etc (pretty much anything that commits to staying in that will never expect AV, but perhaps it's the lack of it being popularized that makes it so effective) but that's about it. So I'll let my fellow QC members decide if AV is even worth a mention. Ultimately, although Espeon faces stiff competition from its faster counterpart Azelf, its ability Magic Bounce works so well with slowswitching and u-turning, that Espeon becomes a sort of hit'n'run pivot smasher, and this "quality" works amaaaazingly on balanced cores with it's stopnstart mentality, serving as the "choiced wallbreaker" mon, destroying teams at a moments notice.

Here's how the set looks like:

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
  • Beats Reuniclus (as long as its not carrying shadow ball) even when switching into a Calm Mind, as Reuniclus can't take the constant 40-50% attacking pressure (after Lefties recovery), and the SpD drop eventually beats it.
  • 50% chance to OHKO Cobalion after 1 SR switch in: +1 252 SpA Espeon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 288-340 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, which means any chip damage (Volt Switch from a Forry for example ;) ) is enough to clean up Coba.
  • Obvi 2hkos Florges and blissey with Psyshock, Dazzle is obvious and will OHKO Mence after SR and Krook automatically. Dazzle does anywhere from 46-76 to mandibuzz depending on the set, so it's a great way to scout which mandi you're facing if it decides to switch in with a teeny chance to OHKO if SR are out.
  • Calm Mind Reuniclus is not the competition of Espeon, it is Azelf which has a wider movepool, useful ability in Levitate, and a considerably more effective speed tier. There is also general consensus that if you use an Eeveelution, it's kinda difficult to find the other ones to fit on your team. However, Baton Pass Wishtect Umbreon and Espeon make great partners for a Balanced backnforth.
  • And of course, it smashes all forms of BO and HO due to it being Spec'ed by nature, bar anything that outspeeds it.
In general, the overall usefulness of the Specs set is apparent in my opinion, however if other QC want to add anything / disagree, by all means let's discuss it.

As for the secondary Calm Mind set, I think it should look like this:

move 2: Psyshock
evs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe

It's not that you're forcing the user to choose between Morning Sun / Baton Pass, it's that any combination of MS + BP, MS + DG, BP + DG all work perfectly fine, which means team dependent selection.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looking through this, so far it could use quite a bit of work. Nevertheless though:

Overview
  • The first bullet point isn't quite correct since Dragon Tail and Circle Throw still exist as a type of phazing which bypasses Magic Bounce, so I'd reword that a bit.
  • Choice Specs shouldn't be mentioned in the Overview at all so remove this bullet point; I'll come back to this point in a bit though.
  • I don't understand the fifth bullet point - "Can sweep even with Roar Suicune." - I'd just remove it entirely tbh.
  • Third last bullet point is untrue if you're asking me. Psychic-type has only 2 resistances and one immunity, making it a pretty good offensive type if you ask me, and it has a resistance to itself and one of the most common types in the tier, Fighting, so I wouldn't say it's terrible defensively either; one of UU's most premier walls, Cresselia, shares this same exact typing.
  • Second last bullet point should probably be removed too, I don't see it giving out too much information you wouldn't give out in Set Details / Usage Tips.
First Set - Moves
  • Shadow Ball's description should be changed - it not only provides s/e damage against Doublade, it provides super effective damage against Ghost-types and Psychic-types, while also providing neutral coverage against Steel-type Pokemon.
  • Trick could probably get a mention in Moves, but depending on how other QC members go about it, it could end up getting a slash on the set itself.
First Set - Set Details
  • Ok so I believe the EV spread should just a standard 252 / 252 with SpA and Spe being maxed out since there's no reason not to run Max Spe since the 16 HP isn't going to be giving much difference and there's no reason to lose out on Speed-ties with opposing Espeon and Froslass. The current spread means you also miss out on outspeeding Heliolisk, for which there is no reason to be doing.
  • Back to my point in the Overview, here's where the Choice Specs mention should be.
  • Yeah analyses shouldn't have the 0 Atk IVs for Foul Play thing - it's mostly common knowledge iirc and something else I can't remember exactly but basically we're not supposed to put that in analyses.
First Set - Usage Tips
  • I would really change how the first bullet point sounds, since Espeon isn't supposed to be a Pokemon like Slurpuff that sits there waiting for late-game to come where it finally cleans the floor, Espeon, as far as my limited knowledge of it goes, should probably be a more proactive presence, yes it's probably good to be used as a cleaner late / mid game but it's presence deters the use of a lot of support moves, such as Stealth Rock, so it's probably best to make it more active to show your opponent you aren't afraid of putting it in the firing line to prevent entry hazards and such. The Specs set is also a decent breaker so it doesn't have to be limited to just being brought in to clean.
  • I'd add a point saying to send in Espeon against predicted support moves.
  • That last bullet point should probably be changed, not many Pokemon dont have ways to deal with Espeon and they only really need like 1 way for it to be effective; Blissey for example takes a lot of Espeon's health by using Seismic Toss anyways.
First Set - Team Options
  • First bullet point has way too much jumbled into it because of a good example. Entry hazard setters, Fighting-types, VoltTurn users should all be separate bullet points with a special mention to Cobalion in another bullet point straight after saying how it fulfills all three roles.
  • Second bullet point should also have a bit of separation, that being sweepers, cleaners and wallbreakers.
Second Set - Moves
  • Baton Pass should probably be mentioned before Dazzling Gleam, as that's how it's ordered in the set itself. After Dazzling Gleam then you can have that final point explaining how any combination of Morning Sun / Baton Pass / Dazzling Gleam works well.
  • I believe that Shadow Ball could get a mention here though.
Second Set - Set Details
  • Again referring to comments in Set Details for the first set, unless someone from QC knows that 16 HP is useful for whatever reason.
  • Life Orb could honestly probably get a mention here and maybe even on the set itself since I've seen LO 3 Atks + CM do some work before.
Second Set - Usage Tips
  • The first bullet point should change a bit, Espeon should avoid being directly switched into threats because it's frail, not because of it's typing; Psychic and Fighting are two fairly common types in UU if you're asking me so it's resistances aren't exactly rare.
  • Espeon doesn't force suicide leads out, it just forces them to go for a kill instead of laying an entry hazard, which they will usually get, as most suicide leads can definitely KO Espeon.
Second Set - Team Options
  • OK so first bullet point should be changed, there's no reason to have partners designed to take on specific Pokemon if those specific Pokemon don't even directly threaten Espeon; i.e Florges and some variants of Hydreigon. Team options should probably be dictated towards removing general threats first, and then especially Doublade.
Checks and Counters
  • Please fix the spacing.
Anyways should a QC member agree with this then this can be your 1/3.

agree with kreme, other than the defensive typing part. cress isn't regarded so highly as a defensive mon cus of its typing, that's probably the biggest thing holding it back in fact other than its meh offenses...u cant compare espeon to cress because espeon doesn't have the second biggest defensive stats in the game lol

other than that, take ass vest out of oo lol, there's no reason to use it at all. slash colbur on the cm set as well, i've seen it do pretty well in uu open and lets it get a cm / pass if it needs to. other than that imma stamp tha kreme post, gud work

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
agree with kreme, other than the defensive typing part. cress isn't regarded so highly as a defensive mon cus of its typing, that's probably the biggest thing holding it back in fact other than its meh offenses...u cant compare espeon to cress because espeon doesn't have the second biggest defensive stats in the game lol

other than that, take ass vest out of oo lol, there's no reason to use it at all. slash colbur on the cm set as well, i've seen it do pretty well in uu open and lets it get a cm / pass if it needs to. other than that imma stamp tha kreme post, gud work
Let Krene in QC team imo, working on implementation of check, thx Kreme and Bouff :) Implemented, want QC opinion on slashing Trick.

Last edited:
Definitely slash Trick for Specs, before the fourth moveslot. It's important for preventing stuff like Lax from setting up as well as crippling counters like Mandibuzz. Also, I'd like to see Grass Knot mentioned in Moves for Specs as a way of hitting most Water-types for huge damage.

For the CM set, I kind of have a problem with so many variations being on the same set. I feel that you're trying to combine two Espeon variations in one set: a) an offensive LO full-coverage set and b) a more long-term, Leftovers Morning Sun/Baton Pass variant. The former isn't even worth it at all since NP Azelf would basically always do a better job with better speed, coverage, and power. So yeah sorry Kreme but I think that Life Orb and Shadow Ball shouldn't have gone on there in the first place.

However, Stored Power slashed after Psyshock for sure. While it doesn't hit as hard right off the bat, it is hugely powerful after a couple boosts (for example, 2HKOing Doublade and Mega Aggron, and OHKOing Cobalion at +2). Don't remember which game it was but I know that CM Stored Power Espeon swept a dude in UU Open. You also still beat the same CM users you would normally beat with Stored Power.

OK, so there needs to be an all-out attacking Focus Sash set mentioned /at least/ in Other Options but I would honestly prefer an actual set devoted to it - depending on what other QC members think. It functions on hyper/some bulky offense teams as a way to deter hazards from shit like Sash Azelf, Froslass, SR Krook, and others, and still hit fast and hard, and works especially well with a fast U-turn user. Moves are Psychic / Shadow Ball and then some combination of Dazzling Gleam (Hydreigon and other Dark types) / HP Fire (mostly Forre) / Grass Knot (Krook, Mamo, waters). I've used this set myself and it's solid, tagging hilarious as the one who gave me the idea and might have something to add as well.

Lemme know when you implemented this so I can go over the whole thing again.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Definitely slash Trick for Specs, before the fourth moveslot. It's important for preventing stuff like Lax from setting up as well as crippling counters like Mandibuzz. Also, I'd like to see Grass Knot mentioned in Moves for Specs as a way of hitting most Water-types for huge damage.

For the CM set, I kind of have a problem with so many variations being on the same set. I feel that you're trying to combine two Espeon variations in one set: a) an offensive LO full-coverage set and b) a more long-term, Leftovers Morning Sun/Baton Pass variant. The former isn't even worth it at all since NP Azelf would basically always do a better job with better speed, coverage, and power. So yeah sorry Kreme but I think that Life Orb and Shadow Ball shouldn't have gone on there in the first place.

However, Stored Power slashed after Psyshock for sure. While it doesn't hit as hard right off the bat, it is hugely powerful after a couple boosts (for example, 2HKOing Doublade and Mega Aggron, and OHKOing Cobalion at +2). Don't remember which game it was but I know that CM Stored Power Espeon swept a dude in UU Open. You also still beat the same CM users you would normally beat with Stored Power.

OK, so there needs to be an all-out attacking Focus Sash set mentioned /at least/ in Other Options but I would honestly prefer an actual set devoted to it - depending on what other QC members think. It functions on hyper/some bulky offense teams as a way to deter hazards from shit like Sash Azelf, Froslass, SR Krook, and others, and still hit fast and hard, and works especially well with a fast U-turn user. Moves are Psychic / Shadow Ball and then some combination of Dazzling Gleam (Hydreigon and other Dark types) / HP Fire (mostly Forre) / Grass Knot (Krook, Mamo, waters). I've used this set myself and it's solid, tagging hilarious as the one who gave me the idea and might have something to add as well.

Lemme know when you implemented this so I can go over the whole thing again.
Done. Focus Sash seems a great option to ct hazards with a veeery fast paced team, will give some playtesting on it, but I think it could get a set anyway.

In the intro, don't say "terribly outclassed by Azelf as a setup sweeper" since, again, CM Espeon works as more of a long-term, sustainable sweeper against more defensively oriented teams (this should be mentioned in Usage Tips for this set as well). You can compare the two but it's not totally outclassed.

Checks and Counters could use a lot of work. They should be divided into "Faster Pokemon" which should highlight physical attackers and Choice Scarf users, "Bulky Steel types" like Doublade Mega Aggron Empoleon, "Priority", "Bulky Dark Types" which is basically Umbreon and Mandibuzz, and "Special Walls" where you should say many of these risk getting set up on by Calm Mind.

Implement this and QC 2/3

I am not QC and am new around here but the Choice Specs set should definitely have Psychic as its main STAB attack. "Psyshock is your main STAB, breaking through many of the would-be switch ins to Espeon, such as Florges, which Espeon 2HKOes."
One should not be using Specs Espeon to break pokemon like Florges and Blissey. Specs Espeon should be used to plow through Balance and offensive teams that consist of pokemon like Cobalion, Whimsicott, Suicune, Swampert, etc. Psyshock should always be the main STAB for pokemon that run Calm Mind for obvious reasons. Psychic's base power being 10 points higher as well as being able to hit hard on Physical Defensive and Offensive pokemon (which special attackers are suppose to do) make Psychic the better option for any Non-Calm Mind Psychic type. Although Psyshock is most definitely a great last move slot to lure pokemon such as Blissey and Florges.

Last edited:

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
I am not QC and am new around here but the Choice Specs set should definitely have Psychic as its main STAB attack. "Psyshock is your main STAB, breaking through many of the would-be switch ins to Espeon, such as Florges, which Espeon 2HKOes."
One should not be using Specs Espeon to break pokemon like Florges and Blissey. Specs Espeon should be used to plow through Balance and offensive teams that consist of pokemon like Cobalion, Whimsicott, Suicune, Swampert, etc. Psyshock should always be the main STAB for pokemon that run Calm Mind for obvious reasons. Psychic's base power being 10 points higher as well as being able to hit hard on Physical Defensive and Offensive pokemon (which special attackers are suppose to do) make Psychic the better option for any Non-Calm Mind Psychic type. Although Psyshock is most definitely a great last move slot to lure pokemon such as Blissey and Florges.
Implemented, will be copyediting, and, unless QC disagrees, I'm implementing this.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You should give the competition it faces from Xatu as a Magic Bounce user in the overview as it gives it huge competition for a slot.

You should give the competition it faces from Xatu as a Magic Bounce user in the overview as it gives it huge competition for a slot.
Xatu's main appeal is Magic Bounce and Espeon's isn't. Magic Bounce is a nice plus to Espeon but Espeon's role is more often than not going to be a Hazard bouncer and pivot like Xatu.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Espeon is an ok Pokemon in the UU metagame (change to Espeon is an average Pokemon in the UU metagame, however, it sports a fantastic ability in the form of Magic Bounce, which allows Espeon...)
What sets Espeon apart is its great Special Attack and good Speed tier, (change the beginning to Espeon has a great Special Attack stat and hits a decent Speed tier, allowing it which allows him to outspeed threats such as Cobalion and grants Espeon good offensive pressure.)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Also mention that Psyshock gives Espeon two Psychic STABS that deal with completely different Pokemon, thereby making it more effective against a larger portion of the tier.

Team Options
========

You might want to fix your spelling, grammar and syntax in this paragraph

Team Options (second set)
========

I wouldn't really put Moltres as one of the staple mons that requires Hazard control. Put something more common and prevalent, like Mega Aero.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Checks and Counters
===================

You gotta gotta gotta mention Pursuit, m'boy.

Overall this analysis is very well done in terms of information and knowledge. It need polishing from a syntax and grammar standpoint, so give it a few more reads before submitting it in for GP status.

After you make these changes, 3/3

Amcheck
Remove Add Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Espeon is an average Pokemon in the UU metagame, however, it sports a fantastic ability in the form of Magic Bounce, which allows Espeon to send back to the opponent's team status attacks such as Roar. I think you need to rewrite this sentence entirely. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that Espeon isn't good but it has one redeeming factor in Magic Bounce? Or are you trying to say that Espeon without Magic Bounce is average and Magic Bounce is what makes the Pokemon? Espeon has also a also has great Special Attack and hits a decent Speed tier, the latter of which allows him to outspeed threats such as Cobalion and grants Espeon apply good offensive pressure. While Espeon is not known for being a defensive threat, its decent Special Defense allows it to take a few special attacks if followed by some Calm Mind boosts Are you trying to say that Espeon can switch in on a special attack then set up Calm Minds?, especially alongsides Morning sun Sun . Espeon is also a fairly good Baton Pass user for a team, especially taking into account its rather fast paced use I again have no idea what you're trying to say here. Psychic-type is a great offensive typing in UU, which sports many great Fighting-types. What holds Espeon back is its shallow offensive movepool, that which makes it usually struggle difficult to deal with most Steel-types,. Furthermore, its Psychic-typing giving gives it rather common weaknesses to Dark- and Ghost-types. and the fact that Azelf is also usually a better set up sweeper due to it being faster, and Nasty Plot being the superior set up move if compared to Calm Mind, at least for two offensive threats its speed and access to a superior offensive set up move in Nasty Plot. Even taking this into account, Espeon may can and will be a dangerous threat to a an unprepared team if it isn't prepared for it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic is your main STAB, breaking through several threats, both offensive and defensive such as Whimsicott and Cobalion. Psychic, its main STAB, allows Espeon to break through both offensive threats, such as Cobalion and defensive threats, such as Whimsicott. Psychic is not your STAB, it's Espeon's STAB. Dazzling Gleam is a must have in order to be able to hit Dark-types proeminent prominent in the metagame, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile. while also hitting It also hits Dragon-types for fairly hard damage. Shadow Ball allows Espeon to do heavy damage to the Psychic- and Ghost-types that usually switch in on Espeon, such as Doublade and Reuniclus.Trick is a great option for the 4th moveslot, as you can heavily cripple some common Espeon switch-ins such as Curse Snorlax and Mandibuzz Mandibuzz and Curse Snorlax. Psychock Psyshock is here to hit threats such as Florges and Blissey, which, while not Espeon's usual targets, are still good to cover in case its needed. Its coverage moves, Alongside Psychic, allow Espeon is able to deal with very different threats, covering a large part of the tier.

Set Details
========

The EV spread used in the set maximizes Espeon's special attack and provides a Speed enough enough speed to outspeed Heliolisk and speed tie with Frosslass, backed up by a Timid nature, while giving Espeon max SpA.Magic Bounce allows its user to have very solid hazard control and a status absorber, while sending all these moves (Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave) back to its original user. i think a general description of Magic Bounce should suffice. On another note, watch your parallel structure please. Choice Specs gives Espeon overwhelming power, causing trouble to many offensive archetypes and walls, such as Blissey and Florges.

Usage Tips
========

While Espeon can be used as cleaner mid- to late-game, it must be well exploited in order to grant the opponent doesn't set up its hazards or inflict your Pokemon with any status This sentence is confusing :(. The Choice Specs set is also great at revenge killing relatively healthy threats with fairly high amounts of HP.
Try sending Espeon on a predicted support move, such as Stealth Rock. If the opponent has a dedicated lead such as Krookodile, you may force out it quite easily and then start to weaken the opposing team. Bringing Espeon in via VoltTurn it's is usually a great idea, as Espeon is too frail too switch in on normal attacks. You can usually switch in safely on Pokemon that have their's moveset composed mostly by use support moves, such as Blissey, as they won't do much to you in return.

Team Options
========

Espeon would have has a much easier time cleaning if there is with hazards on the opposing field; as such, Pokemon such as Krookodile, would fit as are good teammates. Espeon is forced out by Dark- and Steel-types, so Fighting-types such as Cobalion are greatly appreciated. Espeon has difficulties coming in on powerful attacks, so Pokemon with access to either Volt Switch or U-turn are good teammates. Examples include Mienshao and Crobat. Espeon fits incredibly well on offensive archetypes and pairs well with set up sweepers such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr, which has a far easier time sweeping with Espeon's ability to break through defensive Pokemon appreciates Espeon's wallbreaking prowess. Cleaners such as Mega Sharpedo also greatly appreciate Espeon's worning down threats ability to wear down threats. Wallbreakers such as Heracross are also good Espeon's teammates, especially those with great synergy with Espeon such as Heracross.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind is the staple move of this set, allowing Espeon to sweep through worned worn down teams. Alternatively, you can replace worn down with weakened. Psyshock is close to unvaluable here, and is a must have in order to beat Suicune, Snorlax, Florges, Blissey, and other special sponges quickly, so they won't leave you in KO range for a priority move. Stored Power is also a nice option if you are focusing on letting Espeon grab more boosts than usual, allowing it to OHKO Cobalion at +2. Morning Sun is a great move to recover any HP you may have lost due to Scald's Burns and other forms of residual damage, and allows you to stall out opposing special attackers. The decision on using Baton Pass at all deppends wether you team has a great special attacker, such as Hydreigon, that would be able to clean the opposing team. By using Baton Pass, Espeon may not only sweep but also turn another Pokemon on into a possible win condition. Dazzling Gleam gives to Espeon a form way to check Hydreigon and hit every Dark-type in UU at least neutrally; combined with Psyshock, Espeon has ok-ish coverage. The choice between using Baton Pass over either Dazzling Gleam or Morning Sun is based on team composition; if it's prefered to have a win condition with autonomy, Morning Sun should be kept, while Dazzling Gleam allows Espeon to sweep even with some threats, such as Krookodile, still around.

Set Details
========

This set's EVs max Espeon's SpA and Speed followed by a Timid nature, granting it's as offensively reliable as possible.Rewrite Magic Bounce allows Espeon to be quite an unique sweeper that can't be phazed, taunted or statused, while also granting his team great hazard control. Leftovers is the prefered item to maintain autonomy for Espeon in order to sweep. Life Orb is too dangerous as it might leave Espeon in KO range for several moves, while Leftovers does quite the opposite. What do you mean by autonomy? I'm also not quite sure what you're trying to say in the second sentence.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid bringing Espeon on a switch in. Espeon is really frail on both sides and it really wants to keep healthy as much as him can. Use Morning Sun wisely, remember you have only 8 PP and you must use it when you are really worned down, and, in most cases, against a Special Attacker, with some Calm Mind boosts. Remember you may still get statused via moves such as Scald and Sludge Bomb; avoid staying much on them if possible, as these might start to worn you down really quickly! You can use Baton Pass when a teammate may have better chances to sweep the opposing team than Espeon, or when you want to avoid moves such as Sucker Punch and Pursuit. Some of the Pokemon Espeon has ease on setting up on includes Suicune, Florges, Cresselia and overall most walls. Once again, I have to try and guess what you're saying. You should also fix simple things such as "worned" to "worn" (using the correct past tense form). Avoid using exclamation points and watch your parallel structure. Try and rewrite this paragraph...it has too many problems for me to fix n_n.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that are able to deal with threats that force out Espeon such as Dark- and Steel-types, for instance such as Swampert, are great teammates. Swampert also easily deals with Doublade, one of Espeon's best checks. Powerful cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon, or just very powerful and bulky Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos are great teammates if using Espeon uses Baton Pass. VoltTurners are great teammates both fast and slow users of it; fast can bring Espeon safely on a predicted Stealth Rock set up for instance, while slow bring Espeon safely on battle. ??????????? Pokemon that requires hazard control such as Salamence and Mega Aerodactyl appreciate Espeon's heavy hazard control it brings to his team.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can be a decent cleaner that outspeeds fast megas such as Aerodactyl, yet but it rather lacks offensive pressure and it's is easy to switch in to., unlike Choice Specs. A Screens set might seem good on paper, but Espeon is usually wanted to give its teammate a more offensive support, and Screens aren't usually that good anyway. A Focus Sash set is a very solid anti-lead for Offense teams, but then it's a set is usually restricted to really fast-paced teams, hard to pull off on other styles. Assault Vest gets many of Espeon checks, such as Scarf Chandelure and Hydreigon on a bad spot, due to these usually being expected to KO Espeon. Assault Vest's consistency is really restricted to its surprise element though. ???????Espeon has a wide supportive movepool, with gems such as Wish and Heal Bell, but it's offensive nature makes that Espeon can't make the most of these moves. Work Up is another option for the Baton Pass set if you want to support physical and mixed attackers, but it doesn't increase Espeon's surviability, unlike Calm Mind. Espeon has a wide support movepool, with gems such as Wish and Heal Bell, but it's offensive nature means that Epeon cannot make the most of those moves. Work Up is another option for the Baton Pass set, however, unlike Calm Mind, Work Up does not increase Espeon's survivability.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon such as Mega Aerodactyl, or common Choice Scarf users, such as Heracross, are among the best Espeon checks, and can easily force it out.
**Pursuit**: Pursuit users such as Krookodile may easily check Espeon, trap, and KO it.
**Bulky Steel-types**: Espeon has problems getting past through most Steel-types, especially Doublade, which may set up on Espeon lacking Shadow Ball, and Mega Aggron.
**Priority**: Priority easily stops Espeon in its tracks, especially if its been worn down a bit already. Powerful priority users that may check Espeon include Lucario and Entei.
**Bulky Dark-types**: Being immune to Espeon's STAB, Pokemon such as Umbreon and Mandibuzz, which also care recovery, are great answers to Espeon.
**Special Walls**: Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges may tank some hits from Espeon, but they will have a hard time against Calm Mind.
This analysis is probably not ready for GP...please fix the easy stuff. There were numerous misspelled words that SpellCheck could have easily fixed and nearly every sentence had some problem with parallel structure or awkward wording.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Winry: Remove Add Comments
Amcheck: Remove Add Comments
[OVERVIEW]

Espeon is an average Pokemon in the UU metagame, however, it sports a fantastic ability in the form of Magic Bounce, which allows Espeon to send back to the opponent's team status attacks such as Roar. [let's just say this!] Espeon has also a also has great Special Attack and hits a decent Speed tier, the latter of which allows him it to outspeed threats such as Cobalion and grants Espeon apply good offensive pressure. While Espeon is not known for being a defensive threat, its decent Special Defense allows it to take a few special attacks if followed by some Calm Mind boosts Are you trying to say that Espeon can switch in on a special attack then set up Calm Minds?, especially alongsides Morning sun Sun . Espeon is also a fairly good Baton Pass user for a team, especially taking into account its rather fast paced use I again have no idea what you're trying to say here. Psychic-type is a great offensive typing in UU, where which sports there are many great Fighting-types. What holds Espeon back is its shallow offensive movepool, that which makes it usually struggle difficult to deal with most Steel-types,. Furthermore, its Psychic-typing giving gives it rather common weaknesses to Dark- and Ghost-types. and the fact that Azelf is also usually a better set up sweeper due to it being faster, and Nasty Plot being the superior set up move if compared to Calm Mind, at least for two offensive threats its Speed and access to a superior offensive setup move in Nasty Plot. Even taking this into account, Espeon may can and will be a dangerous threat to a an unprepared team if it isn't prepared for it. [filler!]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic is your main STAB, breaking through several threats, both offensive and defensive such as Whimsicott and Cobalion. Psychic, its main STAB move, allows Espeon to break through both offensive threats, such as Cobalion, [ac] and defensive threats, such as Whimsicott. Psychic is not your STAB, it's Espeon's STAB. Dazzling Gleam is a must-have [hyphenate] in order to be able to hit prominent Dark-types proeminent in the metagame, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile. while also hitting It also hits Dragon-types for fairly hard damage. Shadow Ball allows Espeon to do heavy damage to the Psychic- and Ghost-types that usually switch in on Espeon, such as Doublade and Reuniclus. [add space] Trick is a great option for the 4th moveslot, as you can heavily cripple some common Espeon switch-ins such as Curse Snorlax and Mandibuzz Mandibuzz and Curse Snorlax. Psychock Psyshock is here to hit threats such as Florges and Blissey, which, while not Espeon's usual targets, are still good to cover in case its needed. Its coverage moves, alongside Psychic, allow Espeon is able to deal with very different threats, covering a large part of the tier.

Set Details
========

The EV spread used in the set maximizes Espeon's Special Attack and provides a Speed enough enough speed to outspeed Heliolisk and Speed tie with Frosslass, backed up by a Timid nature, while giving Espeon max SpA.Magic Bounce allows its user to have very solid hazard control and a status absorber, while sending all these moves (Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave) back to its original user. i think a general description of Magic Bounce should suffice. On another note, watch your parallel structure please. Choice Specs gives Espeon overwhelming power, causing trouble to many offensive archetypes and walls, such as Blissey and Florges.

Usage Tips
========

While Espeon can be used as cleaner mid- to late-game, it must be well exploited in order to grant the opponent doesn't set up its hazards or inflict your Pokemon with any status This sentence is confusing :(. The Choice Specs set is also great at revenge killing relatively healthy threats with fairly high amounts of HP. [remove new paragraph] Try sending Espeon on a predicted support move, such as Stealth Rock. If the opponent has a dedicated lead such as Krookodile, you may force out it quite easily and then start to weaken the opposing team. Bringing Espeon in via VoltTurn it's is usually a great idea, as Espeon is too frail too switch in on normal attacks. You can usually switch in safely on Pokemon that have their's moveset composed mostly by use support moves, such as Blissey, as they won't do much to you in return.

Team Options
========

Espeon would have has a much easier time cleaning if there is with entry hazards on the opposing field; as such, Pokemon such as Krookodile, [rc] would fit as are good teammates. Espeon is forced out by Dark- and Steel-types, so Fighting-types such as Cobalion are greatly appreciated. Espeon has difficulties coming in on powerful attacks, so Pokemon with access to either Volt Switch or U-turn are good teammates. Examples include Mienshao and Crobat. Espeon fits incredibly well on offensive archetypes and pairs well with setup sweepers such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr, which has a far easier time sweeping with Espeon's ability to break through defensive Pokemon appreciates Espeon's wallbreaking prowess. Cleaners such as Mega Sharpedo also greatly appreciate Espeon's worning down threats ability to wear down threats. Wallbreakers such as Heracross are also good Espeon's teammates, especially those with great synergy with Espeon such as Heracross.
[add line]
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind is the staple move of this set, allowing Espeon to sweep through worned worn down teams. Alternatively, you can replace worn down with weakened. Psyshock is close to unvaluable here, and is a must-have in order to beat Suicune, Snorlax, Florges, Blissey, and other special sponges quickly, [rc] so they won't leave you in KO range for a priority move. Stored Power is also a nice option, if you are focusing on letting Espeon grab more boosts than usual allowing it to OHKO Cobalion at +2. Morning Sun is a great move to recover any HP you may have lost due to Scald's Burns and other forms of residual damage, [rc] and allows you to stall out opposing special attackers. The decision on using Baton Pass at all deppends wether you team has a great special attacker, such as Hydreigon, that would be able to clean the opposing team. By using Baton Pass, Espeon may not only sweep but also turn another Pokemon on into a possible win condition. Dazzling Gleam gives to Espeon a form way to check Hydreigon and hit every Dark-type in UU at least neutrally; combined with Psyshock, Espeon has ok-ish coverage. The choice between using Baton Pass over either Dazzling Gleam or Morning Sun is based on team composition; if it's preferred to have a win condition with autonomy, Morning Sun should be kept, while Dazzling Gleam allows Espeon to sweep even with some threats, such as Krookodile, still around.

Set Details
========

This set's EVs max Espeon's SpA and Speed followed by a Timid nature, granting it's as offensively reliable as possible. Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Espeon to hit as hard and fast as possible. Magic Bounce allows Espeon to be quite an unique sweeper that can't be phazed, taunted, [ac] or statused, [rc] while also granting his its team great entry hazard control. Leftovers is the prefered item to maintain autonomy for Espeon in order to sweep. Life Orb is too dangerous as it might leave Espeon in KO range for several moves, while Leftovers does quite the opposite. What do you mean by autonomy? I'm also not quite sure what you're trying to say in the second sentence.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid bringing directly switching Espeon on a switch in, [ac] as it Espeon is really frail on both sides and it really wants to be as keep healthy as possible much as him can. Use Morning Sun wisely; [semi not comma] remember you have only 8 PP and Espeon should only use it when it is low on HP you must use it when you are really worned down, and, in most cases, against a Special Attacker, with some Calm Mind boosts. Remember you Espeon may still get statused via moves such as Scald and Sludge Bomb; avoid staying much on them if possible, as these might start to worn you wear Espeon down really quickly. [period > !] You can use Baton Pass when a teammate may have better chances to sweep the opposing team than Espeon, or when you want to avoid moves such as Sucker Punch and Pursuit. Some of the Pokemon Espeon that can set up easily on has ease on setting up on includes Suicune, Florges, and Cresselia. [period] and overall most walls

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Swampert that are able to deal with threats that force out Espeon such as Dark- and Steel-types, for instance such as Swampert, are great teammates. Swampert also easily deals with Doublade, one of Espeon's best checks. Powerful cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon, or just very powerful and bulky Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos are great teammates if using Espeon uses Baton Pass. Volt Switch and U-turn users are also great teammates, as they can bring Espeon in safely when you predict the opponent to use entry hazard or setup moves. VoltTurners are great teammates both fast and slow users of it; fast can bring Espeon safely on a predicted Stealth Rock set up for instance, while slow bring Espeon safely on battle. Pokemon that requires entry hazard control such as Salamence and Mega Aerodactyl appreciate Espeon's entry hazard control's heavy hazard control it brings to his team.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can allow Espeon to be a decent cleaner that outspeeds fast megas Mega Evolutions such as Aerodactyl, yet but it rather lacks offensive pressure and it's is easy to switch into., unlike Choice Specs. A Screens set might seem good on paper, but Espeon is usually wanted to give its teammate a more offensive support, and Screens aren't usually that good anyway. A Focus Sash set is a very solid anti-lead for Offense offensive teams, but it then it's a set is usually restricted to really fast-paced teams, hard to pull off on other styles. Assault Vest gets many of Espeon checks, such as Scarf Chandelure and Hydreigon on a bad spot, due to these usually being expected to KO Espeon. Assault Vest's consistency is really restricted to its surprise element though. ???????Espeon has a wide supportive movepool, with gems such as Wish and Heal Bell, but it's offensive nature makes that Espeon can't make the most of these moves. Work Up is another option for the Baton Pass set if you want to support physical and mixed attackers, but it doesn't increase Espeon's surviability, unlike Calm Mind. Work Up is another option for the Baton Pass set; however, unlike Calm Mind, Work Up does not increase Espeon's survivability.

Checks and Counters
===================
[remove one empty line]
**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon such as Mega Aerodactyl, [rc] or common Choice Scarf users, such as Heracross, are among the best Espeon checks, [rc] and can easily force it out.
[add line]
**Pursuit**: Pursuit users such as Krookodile may can easily check Espeon, trap, and KO it.
[add line]
**Bulky Steel-types**: Espeon has problems getting past through most Steel-types, especially Doublade, which may set up on Espeon that lacking Shadow Ball, and Mega Aggron.
[add line]
**Priority**: Priority easily stops Espeon in its tracks, especially if its been worn down a bit already. Powerful priority users that may check Espeon include Lucario and Entei.
[add line]
**Bulky Dark-types**: Being immune to Espeon's STAB, Pokemon such as Umbreon and Mandibuzz, which also care carry recovery, are great answers to Espeon.
[add line]
**Special Walls**: Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges may tank some hits from Espeon, but they will have a hard time against Calm Mind.
[/quote]
1/2

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

(Let me know if anything here is unclear.)

[OVERVIEW]

Espeon sports a fantastic ability in the form of Magic Bounce, which allows Espeon it to send status attacks such as Roar back to the opponent's team status attacks such as Roar. (I don't really see any motive for the nonstandard ordering here) Espeon also has great Special Attack and decent Speed, which allows it to outspeed threats such as Cobalion and apply good offensive pressure. While Espeon is not known for being a defensive threat, its decent Special Defense allows it to take a few special attacks, especially alongside Morning Sun. (remove space) Espeon is also a fairly good Baton Pass user. Psychic-type Psychic is a great offensive typing in UU, where there are many Fighting-types. (I feel this sentence could benefit from being combined with or moved nearer to the sentence about Espeon's offensive abilities, but this is subjective) What holds Espeon back is its shallow offensive movepool, which makes it difficult to deal with most Steel-types. Furthermore, its Psychic typing (no hyphen) gives it rather common weaknesses to Dark- and Ghost-type moves. Azelf is also usually a better setup (one word) sweeper due to its Speed and access to a superior offensive setup move in Nasty Plot.

[SET]
name: Fancy Glasses Cat (I think the policy is that a more descriptive name, like "(Choice Specs)", should be added to the end of nonstandard set names)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic, its Espeon's main STAB move, allows Espeon it to break through both offensive threats, such as Cobalion, and defensive threats, such as Whimsicott. Dazzling Gleam is a must-have in order to hit prominent Dark-types in the metagame, such as Hydreigon and Krookodile. It also hits Dragon-types fairly hard. Shadow Ball allows Espeon to do deal heavy damage to the Psychic- and Ghost-types that usually switch into it, on Espeon, such as Doublade and Reuniclus. Trick is a great option for the 4th moveslot, as you can it lets Espeon heavily cripple some common Espeon switch-ins, (comma) such as Mandibuzz and Curse Snorlax. Psyshock is here to hit threats such as Florges and Blissey. Its coverage moves, alongside Psychic, allow Espeon to deal with a large part of the tier. (The placement of this sentence is strange; I would recommend moving it to the overview, but in that section it's specifically mentioned that Espeon has a "shallow offensive movepool," so I think the best option here is just to delete it. In addition, Baton Pass, which is slashed on the set, is not mentioned at all in the above paragraph, so something should probably be added about it.)

Set Details
========

The EV spread used in the set maximizes Espeon's Special Attack and provides enough Speed to outspeed Heliolisk and Speed tie with Froslass (one s). Magic Bounce allows Espeon to block entry hazards and status. Choice Specs gives Espeon overwhelming power, causing trouble to allowing it to trouble many offensive team archetypes and walls, (remove comma) such as Blissey and Florges.

Usage Tips
========

The Choice Specs This set is great at revenge killing relatively healthy threats. Try sending Send Espeon in on a predicted support move, such as Stealth Rock. If the opponent has a dedicated lead, (comma) such as Krookodile, you may Espeon can also force it out it quite easily and then start to weaken the opposing team. Bringing Espeon in via VoltTurn is a great idea, as Espeon is too frail to (one o) switch into on normal attacks. Espeon You can switch (two words) in safely on into Pokemon that use support moves, such as Blissey, as they won't (can't?) do much to you it in return.

Team Options
========

Espeon has a much easier time cleaning with entry (two words) hazards on the opposing field; as such, Pokemon such as Krookodile are good teammates. Espeon is forced out by Dark- and Steel-types force Espeon out, so it greatly appreciates Fighting-types such as Cobalion are greatly appreciated. (passive voice; these changes are subjective but I feel they improve the sentence) Espeon has difficulties switching into coming in on powerful attacks, so Pokemon with access to either Volt Switch or U-turn, such as Mienshao and Crobat, are good teammates. Examples include Mienshao and Crobat. Espeon fits incredibly well on offensive archetypes and pairs well with setup sweepers, such as Dragon Dance Feraligatr, which that appreciate Espeon's wallbreaking prowess. Cleaners such as Mega Sharpedo also greatly appreciate Espeon's ability to wear down threats. Wallbreakers such as Heracross are also good teammates.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind is the staple move of this set, allowing allows Espeon to sweep weakened teams. Psyshock is a must-have in order to beat Suicune, Snorlax, Florges, Blissey, and other special sponges quickly so that they can't leave Espeon won't leave you in KO range for a priority move. Stored Power is also a nice option, allowing it +2 Espeon to OHKO Cobalion at +2. Morning Sun is a great move to recover any HP you Espeon may have lost due to residual damage and allows you it to stall out opposing special attackers. By using Baton Pass instead, Espeon may can not only sweep but also turn another Pokemon into a possible wincon. win condition. (not interchangeable) Dazzling Gleam gives Espeon a way to check Hydreigon and hit every Dark-type in UU at least neutrally. The choice between using Baton Pass over replacing either Dazzling Gleam or Morning Sun with Baton Pass is based on team composition; if it's preferred you prefer to have a win condition wincon with autonomy, you should keep Morning Sun should be kept, while keeping Dazzling Gleam allows Espeon to sweep even with some threats, such as Krookodile, still around. (I don't really see how these two statements are related to team composition)

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack and Speed EVs and a Timid nature allow Espeon to hit as hard and fast as possible. Magic Bounce allows Espeon to be a unique sweeper that can't be phazed, Taunted, or statused while also granting its team great entry hazard control. Leftovers is the preferred (two rs) item to increase Espeon's longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid directly switching Espeon in, as it Espeon is really frail and wants needs to be as healthy as possible to sweep effectively (or a similar addition). Use Morning Sun wisely; remember that you have only 8 PP andEspeon should only use it when it is low on HP. (I think this is implied) Remember that Espeon can still become may still get statused via by moves such as Scald and Sludge Bomb; avoid staying much on them staying in when statused (I'm not sure if this is what this means, the original is unclear) if possible, as these might wear status wears Espeon down really quickly. You can Use Baton Pass when a teammate may have has better chances to sweep the opposing team than Espeon, (remove comma) or when you want to avoid a moves such as Sucker Punch and or Pursuit. Some of the (repetitive) Pokemon that Espeon can set up easily on include Suicune, Florges, and Cresselia.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Swampert that can deal with Dark- and Steel-types are great teammates. Swampert also easily deals with Doublade, one of the best checks to Espeon's best checks. Powerful cleaners, such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon, or just very powerful and bulky Pokemon such as Mega Ampharos are great teammates if Espeon uses runs Baton Pass. Volt Switch and U-turn users are also great teammates, as they can bring Espeon in safely when you predict the opponent to use entry hazard or setup moves. Pokemon that require entry hazard control, such as Salamence and Mega Aerodactyl, appreciate Magic Bounce.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Choice Scarf can allow Espeon to be a decent cleaner that outspeeds fast Mega Evolutions such as Mega Aerodactyl, but it such sets lacks offensive pressure and is are easy to switch into. A dual screens set might seem good on paper, but Espeon is usually wanted to give its teammate a is usually used for more offensive support. A Focus Sash set is a very solid anti-lead for offensive teams, but it is usually restricted to really fast-paced teams. Work Up is another option for the sets using Baton Pass set; (both sets have Baton Pass slashed) however, unlike Calm Mind, Work Up does not increase Espeon's longevity. survivability.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Naturally faster Pokemon, such as Mega Aerodactyl, or and common Choice Scarf users, such as Heracross, are among the best Espeon checks and can easily force it out.

**Pursuit Users**: (subjective, but the other bolded categories all describe Pokemon) Pursuit users such as Krookodile can easily check Espeon by trapping and KOing , trap, and KO it.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Espeon has problems getting through most Steel-types, especially Doublade, which may can set up on Espeon that lack Shadow Ball.

**Priority Users**: (same reasoning as above) Priority easily stops Espeon in its tracks, especially if it's (apostrophe) been worn down a bit already. Powerful priority users that may check Espeon include Lucario and Entei.

**Bulky Dark-types**: Being immune to Espeon's STAB, Pokemon Dark-types, especially those that also carry recovery, (comma) such as Umbreon and Mandibuzz, which also carry recovery, are great answers to Espeon because they are immune to its STAB moves.

**Special Walls**: Pokemon such as Blissey and Florges may can tank some hits from Espeon, but they will have a hard time against the Calm Mind set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)