OU Team Rater Competition Finals! [Won by Miridy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Welcome to RMT's 1st ever Team Rater Competition! In this tour, we'll start off with 32 participants (or however many sign up), and instead of battling each other, we, the hosts, will provide a team to be rated each round. For each round, participants will rate the given team, and then submit it to the Team Raters they are assigned. When each round is over, the people who submit the best/better rates will move on to the next round. This time around, it will be for OU Team Raters.

Some key points of interest:
  • The rates in the final 3 rounds will count towards the Team Rater
    badge
  • The winner will be given voice in the RMT room on PS! (If you are currently an active voice and win, you may be promoted to driver)
  • Each round will last one week, meaning you have to submit your rate to your designated Team Raters within that time period.
  • If you are eliminated and would like some feedback on your rate, including why you weren't able to move on, you are more than welcome to ask the Team Raters you were assigned to submit your team to.
Failure to provide a rate or a valid reason within the time period allotted will result in a disqualification.

The deadline for Finals is November 29th at 11:59 EST and must be submitted to Team Pokepals

1. Miridy
2. Nedor
3. -Lone

Sorry for the delay, and we decided to combine semi-finals + finals into 1 week so the final round can be a bit more competitive with 3 participants instead of 2.

Last edited:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Here's the team for Finals: Credit goes to Snowy. for providing the team!

I started off wanting to build around the core of Sableye and Volcarona, as they provided synergy for each other. Sableyes role in this core was to prevent hazards as best as possible by utilizing fake out for a free first turn mega. It also attacked as a way to cripple the opponents pokemon through any means possible (knock off + WoW) to further the amount of st up opportunities provided to Volcarona.

Volcarona's duty was to take advantage of the set up opportunities provided by Mega Sableye and potential sweep or dismantle the opponents team for the remaining pokemon on my team to clean up. It also acted as a check to many of Sableyes common threats like Gardevoir, Kyurem-b, Serperior and t-wave-less Clefable, which is why a bulkier spread with roost was chosen over an offensive one, as it provided more longevity.

Next the team was looking rather weak to Pokemon like Heatran, SpD Talonflame and gliscor, as they could all easily break apart and deal with the current core of pokemon. This is why a rain dance Manaphy was added, as it allowed for an easy and simple way to check these Pokemon, while at the same time absorbing status. It also worked as a lose check to Zard Y, as you could potential get the Rain Dance up before they were able to fire off a Solarbeam.

The team was starting to shape up, but it had a huge weakness to a few of the common and powerful wall breakers in the tier like Keldeo and Azumarill. To cover up this weakness Amoonguss was added, as it effectively checked both of these huge threats and also fixed up problems verse Mega Altaria and Diancie, which could plow through the team at the moment.

At this point the team had no ground resist, which meant that powerful ground types like Excadrill, Earth Plate Landorus and Mega or Offensive Garchomp gave me a lot of grief. I also didnt have a reliable switch into most latias and latios, so SpD Skarmory just made a lot of sense to add in. It also provided necessary Defog support needed to keep Volcarona healthy in case my Sableye went down or got weakened.

Finally, realising that i was extremely weak to a lot of common electric types like Mega Mane, Raikou and Thunderus and also some common physically offensive threats like Mega Lopunny, Bisharp and Mega Zard X. I decided to add in Hippo, as it effectively checked all these mons and provided much need stealth rocks to help wear down the opponent and make Volcaronas time easier.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 12 SpA / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
- Roost

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Defog

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
[01:51] Nedor : rates for this competition take me ~4 hours

This poor man might die of exhaustion lol
N E D O R
dont worry yuruu. I already shipped a 24 pack of water so that he can endure his rate. Miridy just sitting there doing jumpick jacks and pullups analyzing teams while watching rambo ready to go toe to toe with nedor and his russian bride isabella.

The dude lone is in a chamber training with the Cambodian fighting monkeys ready for the final round.

Intense round, much hydration needed.

Ok, I know it's a bit late, but this is the analysis of the winner rate of the semi finals, won by Miridy.

The rate starts with a pretty deep analysis talking about the similitude with tour players, Blunder in this case, so knowing how the team works. Then he explained which kind of weaknesses the team has, mentioning the no ice resistances and at the same time the 3 ice weaknesses, with only Mega Lopunny after the Mega Evolution beeing able to outspeed Weavile, this means that anytime Weavile comes in it kills a member of your team with little to no effort. Manaphy is the only member of the team which is able to take a hit from Weavile, but even then knock off is a 2HKO and there are some chances that Icicle Crash + Knock Off + Stealth Rocks can kill Manaphy since it has no Leftovers, nevertheless Manaphy does not have an immediate way to threaten Weavile other than Scald burns, how he said. Another problem Miridy mentioned is Mega Alakazam, since it outspeeds every member of the team and beeing able to 2HKO Tornadus-T with Psychic after Stealth Rock, and at the same time Tornadus cannot OHKO. The rest of the team is either ohkoed or does not have enough power to scare Alakazam (Manaphy) or is the stealth rocks setter so it is not difficult to bring said 'mon in the ohko range (Garchomp). Mega Gardevoir threats the team as well, beeing able to OHKO Garchomp and Amoonguss as well, not having a safe switch-in. Then there is a nice explanation about Shed Shell Manaphy, mentioning that Shed Shell + Pursuit helps against Gothitelle, which is right, but Manaphy does not have enough power, Chansey is not 2HKOed after 2 Tail Glow even with Scald burns, Unaware Clefable can stall Manaphy with Moonlight and threatening slowly with Moonblast, and Tyranitar doesn't help against these problems. She talked about how much effort this team puts on Manaphy, to take hits, and how this 'mon doesn't have too much longevity.

He talked about Ice Beam Mega Lopunny, talking about how good it is for not taking contact secondary damange, which is great, but at the same time it fails to 2HKO Tank Chomp and a chance to fail the 2HKO on defensive Landorus-T, which is a guarantee 2HKO with Ice Punch, even with max hp max def, so that's why he suggested to change Ice Beam with Ice Punch.

The second change is Rain Dance > Energy Ball, beeing able to 2HKO Chansey and 93% to 2HKO Clefable after Stealth Rock with no burns, since Clefable is pretty pressured under rain because of Moonlight nerf, and Wish + Protect version opens up moveset problems for Clefable and potential dangerous mindgames against the Clefable user, getting some problems with burns. With this change Shed Shell on Manaphy starts beeing useful.
Rain Dance does not help only against these two 'mons it also helps against modest Charizard Y or at worst speed tieing timid ones by changing weathers, potentially locking them on a nerfed Solar Beam so that Manaphy can attack with a powerful water stab under rain, and against Slowbro, who actually loves coming in against mega Lopunny in order to spread either Thunder Wave or Scald against the switch in, the same could be said about Special Defensive Heatran with Toxic/Lava against Tornadus-Therian or early game Mega Sableye since the team does not really have a real burn absorber, especially since Manaphy lacks leftovers and Tyranitar has Sand Stream so residual damage is even more lethal, how Miridy said.

As second change, Latias > Tornadus-T, supporting better Manaphy, against the same Manaphy checks, with 100% accuracy, against Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur and Breloom, and not even KOed by Rock Tomb, and the most important reason and explanation he picked Latias and not Latios, usually Latias is inferior, is because of Healing Wish, which helps and support Manaphy and Mega Lopunny giving them back full health and recover from any status. With this change the team still be weak to Weavile, Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam, so the last change was Special Defensive Klefki over Amoonguss, with a specific EVs spread allowing Klefki to have a 56% change to OHKO Weavile after Life Orb damage with Play Rough, considering no Stealth Rocks, a 80% chance to 2HKO Mega Gardevoir and a clean 2HKO on Mega Alakazam after Stealth Rock, and still having enough bulky to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Alakazam's Focus Blast or Hidden Power Fire after Stealth Rocks. Miridy suggested Heal Block over Magnet Rise on Klefki, which is a gimmick majority of Magnet Rise's targets, which blocks defensive threats such as Clefable or Mega Venusaur.

With those changes the weakness for Hippowdon, Mega Diancie and Excadrill raised, so as a very last change, Surf on Latias as a last move, OHKOing Excadrill and Mega Diancie, and beeing able to beat mixed Hippowdon without the Special Attack drop. Excadrill cannot OHKO Latias and the raise of Hidden Power Fire, gives Mega Diancie a 349 speed, beeing not able to outspeed Latias, at the same time Surf is not expected. She put some other options, such as Psychic over Ice Beam on Manaphy and a different EVs spread on Mega Lopunny to 2HKO standard tank chomp after Fake Out with Ice Beam and clean 2HKO Landorus-T.

Thanks to the great analysis, the explanation of the changes, the metagame knowledge and an overview which explains how to face some kind of threats, Miridy get the highest mark between all the partecipants and reached the FINALS.

Congrats!

He talked about Ice Beam Mega Lopunny, talking about how good it is for not taking contact secondary damange, which is great, but at the same time it fails to 2HKO Tank Chomp and a chance to fail the 2HKO on defensive Landorus-T, which is a guarantee 2HKO with Ice Punch, even with max hp max def, so that's why he suggested to change Ice Beam with Ice Punch.
While I fully understand the benefits of Ice Punch over Ice Beam, I found it difficult to justify changing a set that the team was built around, could you elaborate on why this is fine in this case?

yuruuu Miridy explained why Ice Punch is a better choice, but in the final part of the rate she gave an import of another EVs spread, which 2HKOs Tank Chomp and Landorus-T, how I said.

Miridy

♩_♩
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
yuruuu if you are interested this is my analysis on why Ice Punch is a better fit overall:
Ice Beam Mega Lopunny may seem like a great idea since said move is not a contact one, however it fails to 2hko Rocky Garchomp, also it has a chance to fail 2hkoing defensive Landorus after Stealth Rocks/Fake Out and Leftovers, while Ice Punch at -1 will always 2hko after stealth rocks and leftovers the standard 252/240+ ev spread.
Of course, I understand the logic behind this, rough skin+rocky helmet damage is quite a problem but the payoff isn't enough when Ice Beam has a laughable damage output against Garchomp and inferior to Ice Punch against Landorus-Therian, there are other ways so that the team can get past these bulky grounds, as such the first change I would make is Change Ice Beam to Ice Punch.
Understandably if a team is started around x 'mon with y moveset it should be taken into consideration, this is what motivated me in making another version of Mega Lopunny that try to take advantage of Ice Beam:
Lastly, why I personally don't support it, the build started from Ice Beam mega Lopunny, so it should be taken under consideration, if players prefer to use Ice Beam on Mega Lopunny they can do it but Lopunny needs an ev spread fix, a Naive Nature with 200 atk, 56 satk 252 speed allows Mega Lopunny to always kill 252/164+/76 Tank Chomp with Fake Out and two Ice Beams, while also 2hkoing defensive Landorus with Ice Beam with Leftovers in consideration without taking stealth rocks under consideration.
Personally I don't think you should use Ice Beam on Mega Lopunny, duh; but if someone wants to well that's their choice, but it shouldn't be ignored that there are better ways to gain Ice beam's objectives.
Good luck to both Miridy and -Lone ~
Thanks, u2, hoping that I don't get critted, though, haha.

Tonight I'll start finishing the rate (I apologize right now since it is a bit long), whoever wins, good job! This tournament was an interesting take, hopefully they'll be other editions in the future, I surely learned alot about oras ou, and approached me to a different sight of RMT, surely you tend to help other players fixing their team, but you also get better yourself at analyzing teams, situations said teams could face and coming up with solutions helps you as a battler both at building your teams and when you fight.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
4 hours holy shit. I did my rates in 15-20 minutes
Judging on the winning rates the finalists are well deserves. Good luck to all three

TPP

Head TD
Alright, the time has come to announce the winner of the first edition of the Team Rater Competition.

The winner is...

Winner
Miridy

Before people ask for explanations or start complaining, I want to say I will explain what my co-hosts and I decided and that Enki will be doing an analysis for both rates.

After receiving the rates the other day, most of the hosts read the rates, and we started discussing them. Only Miridy and Nedor submitted because Lone had some CPU problems. We are glad we received long rates, but this time it was a bit redundant, as each one had a notable problem with them (one changing the team a bit too much while also managing to not securely fix a major threat, and the other with changing the base/core of the original team, which goes against the standard RMT rules). We discussed this for a good deal of time, and in the end, Miridy was voted the winner through a majority vote. Also, we all agreed that Miridy was fantastic throughout the entire tour, and Nedor also grew/improved a good deal as well. It was a very close round, but the major issues with each one made it difficult to judge, as well as the fact that each participant gave completely different suggestions. Both Nedor and Miridy deserve praise for doing well, so be sure to commend them for doing really well, and making this tour a great one.

Thank you to all of our participants, and a big thanks to my fellow co-hosts, especially Enki for being a really helpful co-host, and for writing up the analysis for the winning rate, Snowy for always being there and help suppy the teams, Yagura and Mur for being there and helping with decisions, and finally TNT for being a big help in deciding our final winner. Be sure to congratulate Miridy and I hope to see you in the next edition :)

Last edited:
I know you're trying to be funny but this comment is just plain stupid joking or not.
No I was not trying to funny, I'm not a big fan of long rates and I'm basing my opinion on the fact that most of them are long for the sake of being long and not explaining the changes since they often keep repeating the same reasoning again and again. A short meaningful rate that does good suggestions is better than a tl;dr.

I'd love to hear your point of view since this is a very interesting topic and I suppose it'll be based on viable arguments since you went as far as calling what I said stupid.

EDIT: I wasn't referring to Nedor's rate btw, both of Miridy's and Nedor's were long af.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)