ORAS UU: The Next Best Thing V2 (Toxicroak - Submission Stage)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
It's fucking time for Gligar

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack
- Knock Off / Roost

Yep, offensive Gligar. It's finally fucking here. Okay, so how this lordy set works is that it sets up on something that Gligar can set up on (Fighting types, passive Grasses, etc.) and it attempts to sweep. SD makes Gligar's subpar 75 attack stat pretty strong, especially when combined with it's great STAB combination and EQ. Wing Attack is usually used when I use it, but if you really predict Knock Offs coming your way, Acrobatics is an option that becomes amazingly strong after an SD with no item. Agility can be used to sweep easier, while Knock Off is nice for knocking off items of course. Roost is my preferred option for the 4th slot as it helps u set up easier thanks to recovery. If u wanna be a more bulky sweeper, then a more bulky spread like 252 HP over the Speed EVS can be used. Overall, while this set has some flaws, like sometimes not killing when it needs to even after an SD, and Ice types ruling the current meta, but I still think this set can shine with team support, and I hope you can agree too!

#GligarIsGod =]

+2 252+ Atk Gligar Aerial Ace vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Whimsicott: 240-284 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 255-301 (70.8 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Gligar Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 422-500 (162.9 - 193%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 153-180 (44.4 - 52.3%) -- 73.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 402-474 (124 - 146.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Small Gliscor

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe or 248 HP / 8 SpDef / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Toxic / Taunt / Earthquake
- Substitute
- Roost
- Earthquake / Taunt / Toxic

This set is fairly straightforward Gligar set adapted from a similar Gliscor set.

Why this?
Gligar, whether Defensive or Specially Defensive, is incredibly bulky, but suffers from a certain passiveness that invites many of UU's set-up sweepers to set-up on Gligar. This set capitalizes on this and dissuades set-up sweepers through the use of Toxic.

Immunity is the Ability of choice simply because it cannot be hit with Toxic, a boon for any defensively-oriented Pokemon. The EV capitalizes on Gligar's base 85 Speed, which allows it to outspeed many of UU's premier offensive Pokemon, such as Mamoswine, SD Feraligatr, or CM Cresselia.

The moves are pretty much standard fare adapted from Stallbreaker Gliscor. Toxic makes Pokemon such as Feraligatr, Florges, or Cressilia think twice before setting up on Gligar. Substitute and Roost are the crux of this set and guarantees Gligar's longevity. The last slot has Taunt slashed in to stop bulkier Pokemon from recovering, such as Florges' Synthesis. With the slashed slots, you can go with three configurations.
1) Toxic / Earthquake: Standard fare. Pressures many set-up sweepers in the tier.
2) Toxic / Taunt: Massive Taunt bait, but is extremely useful if your team has a serious problem with Cresselia, Florges.
3) Taunt / Earthquake: Sounds weird, but its greatest advantage is its ability to somewhat stop CM Reuniclus when played correctly.

This is a very niche set and only works on certain teams.

Last edited:
Stallbreaker Gligar
Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 Spe (alternatively 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe or 240 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD / 8 Spe)
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Stallbreaker Gligar plays similarly to Crobat's stallbreaker set, but takes advantage of its greater bulk and ability to beat Steel types more easily in exchange for Crobat's speed. Taunt + Toxic essentially disarm most non-bulky Water defensive Pokemon in UU against Gligar, such as Chesnaught, Florges, Mega Aggron, Umbreon, Cresselia and Blissey. Toxic still puts extra pressure on the Pokemon it cannot beat on its own, like Suicune, Zapdos and Vaporeon. Immunity is really useful on this set since it means that Synchronize and Magic Bounce aren't as big factors when using Toxic.

148 Spe will outspeed standard Tentacruel and some defensive variants of Rotom-H, while the defensive and specially defensive spreads can be used if checking specific threats is more of a concern than speed.
thats already an analysis set

Damn, 3 sets already...guess everyone was locked and loaded. Here's a slightly different approach to Gligar.

Wind Scorpion (Tailwind Supporter Gligar)

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SDef
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Tailwind
- Roost
- U-Turn

Specially defensive Gliscor Gligar. This set functions as a pivot into a number of both physical and special threats to more offensively inclined balance teams, and improves match-ups against offensive teams. Tailwind gives the perfect boost to many slower heavy hitters, allowing 'Mons like Banded Heracross, Mega Ampharos, and Mega Blastoise to apply heavy pressure to the opponent's team. Megas also make good partners to absorb Knock Offs that would cripple Gligar. U-Turn off of 412 Speed in high-speed winds allows for the perfect switch choice, ensuring Tailwind isn't wasted, and keeps momentum. Roost keeps Gligar healthy and allows it to repeatedly pivot in to check big threats and whip up a Tailwind. All in all, the set is all about momentum, which is always a big boon to balance teams, which can struggle to keep up with opposing offensive pressure at times.

The EVs and nature give a jump point in Defense, with the rest dumped in Special Defense and HP to give it impressive mixed bulk with Eviolite.

After some further testing, yes, this set is actually very good on the appropriate team style. I'm genuinely impressed, just check out the replays. Also, shout out to to my Cleric Roserade from last week for putting work in on this team, except with HP Ground because it was needed.

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 140-165 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (average power of two Meteors)

252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom-H Overheat (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 142-168 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO (same way as Draco)

252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Leaf Storm (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 140-165 (42 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Rotom-H Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 156-188 (46.8 - 56.4%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 132-156 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (don't want a burn, but you get the idea of the bulk)

Still has great physical bulk as well

252+ Atk Choice Band Snorlax Return vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 141-166 (42.3 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+6 252 Atk Slurpuff Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 244-288 (73.2 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (relevant with Tailwind to outspeed with something else)

Even many mixed sets like Salamence can't break through Gligar

252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Eviolite Gligar: 117-138 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (Life Orb only gives a 41% chance to 2HKO, but LO DD is rare)

252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 129-152 (38.7 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:
Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Screech
- U-turn

Screech forces switches, and you can use U-turn to take advantage of it. Pair with a Pursuit user, so regardless of whether he switches out now or later, you can put yourself in an advantageous position.

Last edited:
I changed my set. Sorry for breaking the new rule. =)
Just wondering, any reasoning behind Wing Attack over Aerial Ace? I know the PP is different but it's not like AA has low PP, and every now and then never missing makes a difference. While testing my Gligar set, I actually lost to a Zoroark's Night Daze accuracy drop, which was incredibly annoying...

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 72 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

- Earthquake
- Roost

It's kinda matchup-reliant (let's say, vs fast Taunt users, Whimsicott or Mamoswine), but it is one of my favorite variants of Gligar. Although he acts as a passer (it's more reccomended to SD at mid-game), it's very cool to use him as pivot, since his Baton Pass acts like a pseudo-U-Turn, making him act like a nice pivot vs Entei, Lucario, some Mega Aero and Banded Hera, and Reuniclus (yes, it actually 1v1s Reuniclus depending of the scenario). You can put 252 HP Def, but lately I've been using some SpD benchmark to avoid LO Hydreigon and Specs Chandelure's Draco | Fire Blast's OHKO after rocks. Fortunately his bulk avoids the OHKO from Feraligatr or Suicune (both Ice Beam and Ice Punch, taking something around 70%~80%), so it actually finds a lot of opportunities to set-up and pass to good teammates, like Sharpedo, Aerodactyl, Feraligatr (i use it with Agility tbh), and Beedrill. His extra speed is there to creep some Mandibuzz, and try to BP before Cress and Suicune without Speed EVs, or with 4~12 EVs, but you can put more speed if you're paranoid about it.

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 72 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

- Earthquake
- Roost

It's kinda matchup-reliant (let's say, vs fast Taunt users, Whimsicott or Mamoswine), but it is one of my favorite variants of Gligar. Although he acts as a passer (it's more reccomended to SD at mid-game), it's very cool to use him as pivot, since his Baton Pass acts like a pseudo-U-Turn, making him act like a nice pivot vs Entei, Lucario, some Mega Aero and Banded Hera, and Reuniclus (yes, it actually 1v1s Reuniclus depending of the scenario). You can put 252 HP Def, but lately I've been using some SpD benchmark to avoid LO Hydreigon and Specs Chandelure's Draco | Fire Blast's OHKO after rocks. Fortunately his bulk avoids the OHKO from Feraligatr or Suicune (both Ice Beam and Ice Punch, taking something around 70%~80%), so it actually finds a lot of opportunities to set-up and pass to good teammates, like Sharpedo, Aerodactyl, Feraligatr (i use it with Agility tbh), and Beedrill. His extra speed is there to creep some Mandibuzz, and try to BP before Cress and Suicune without Speed EVs, or with 4~12 EVs, but you can put more speed if you're paranoid about it.
there it is. There is one more good set left if anyone can figure out what it is. I probably wont do it this week. Gligar is boring.

there it is. There is one more good set left if anyone can figure out what it is. I probably wont do it this week. Gligar is boring.
Tell me about it! I struggled to even scrap together what I did...but I was actually surprised at how good Tailwind is on Gligar. One of the better users of the move for sure, and honestly one of the better sets I've whipped up.

r0ady

People like to invent monsters and monstrosities
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
k only 2 days late n_n

upload_2015-12-10_0-11-35.png

This great gecko has been a keen threat to offence since its intro into oras. Sceptile supports an interesting movepool with a very unique typing and stat distribution, submissions end Monday 14th since I was late lol

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
254.gif

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Endeavor
This set still performs as a solid cleaner versus offensive team, although you do drop focus blast for coba or whatever. The upside is being able to lure and remove bulky shits that wall Sceptile normally. You basically remove Blissey/Umbreon/Gligar/etc for sceptile or something else to clean up later on. Main downsides are dropping all of the Leaf Storm Power and Focus Blast coverage. Oh and Substitute without even needing Endeavor still works fine thanks to the number of switches Sceptile can force, so it still comes in handy. Unfortunately all of my replays are too old from this but r0ady's seen it do work
edit: and it's better than non mega endeavor :[

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)