CAP 21 CAP 21 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golui

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ǝuᴉɟ sᴉ ƃuᴉɥʇʎɹǝʌƎ
WIP

Vasdora
(Vaz-doh-rah or Va-doh-rah)

Combination of 'vase' and 'Pandora'. In some interpretations of Greek mythology, 'Pandora's Box' was actually a jar.

WIP

Miasmos
(mahy-az-mohs)

Combination of Miasma and Pithos: the Greek word for Jar (I was also thinking of Pandora's Jar when I saw the art work)

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
WIP

Pan-clay-ill

Pan is the first part of Pandora's Box which is a jar that causes havoc.
Clay in being a clay jar which is representing ground
Ill is to represent grief and disease which is representing poison

Flo-do-rer-o

Forero is vase in spanish
Lodo is sludge in spanish
I just combined the two

Last edited:
WIP

Urnnox
(urn-noks)

Urn + nox(ious) = Urnnox!

I love using "urn" in this CAPs name, since Urns hold dead things and stuff....very toxic! And "noxious" is a great play on the Poison-typing of CAP, and kind of plays on "box," as in Pandora's Box.

WIP

Urnoxious

Pronunciation:
"Er-Nox-Shuss" (sounds oddly like "Obnoxious" lol)

Combination of "Urn" + "Noxious"
Sorry, NV, I noticed your post after I posted. Obviously, I love your idea. I just think that having the "ious" is a bit too much. I know ours are close, but I think "Urnnox" rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

Unsee

so smart me, enjoy book so much
is an Artist
WIP

Urnnox
(urn-noks)

Urn + nox(ious) = Urnnox!

I love using "urn" in this CAPs name, since Urns hold dead things and stuff....very toxic! And "noxious" is a great play on the Poison-typing of CAP, and kind of plays on "box," as in Pandora's Box.

Sorry, NV, I noticed your post after I posted. Obviously, I love your idea. I just think that having the "ious" is a bit too much. I know ours are close, but I think "Urnnox" rolls off the tongue a bit easier.
I must disagree with you there. It also adds a jeer-like "You're noxious!" connotation, which seems to work in conjugation with Yilx's child-like design.
Furthermore, noxious looks like a perfect way to describe it.
Both names are equally adequate.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Moderator Announcement:

This thread is now open for Final Submissions.

Please read the OP formatting rules very carefully. Any final submission that does not EXACTLY follow the prescribed format, will be disqualified without warning.

The Name slate will be constructed collectively by the CAP moderators. As stated in the OP, we will not slate names that are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

Final Submission

Petrolita

Petrol (gasoline) + Petrify (to turn to stone) + Lolita (a young woman)

Pronounced: peh-TROL-ee-tuh
IPA: /ˈpɛtrəliːtə/

As petrol/gas or oil accumulates debris, it turns into a gunky sludge that forms a dark brown or black coating similar to clay when left in the open air in a very similar fashion to what's depicted in the artwork.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Urnelf

A combination of "Urn" (a clay vase or pot with a lid) + "Elf" (a small lively creature).

Pronounced: "ERN-elf"
IPA: ərnɛlf

I like simple names, if at all possible. And it seems especially fitting for this Pokemon, which inhabits an urn-like container and has impish qualities that strike me as small and elf-ish!

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Slyme

Sly + Limestone + Slime

Pronounced: slahym
IPA: slaɪm

It's simple, but it works. We have a sly, swift slime. Limestone is also very porous rock, the kind our slime would live in.

Final Submission

Noxeletta

Noxious + Violet + Etta to make the name more feminine.

Pronounced: Nocks-Eh-Let-Tah

Well, she's noxious and violet, so I thought the two would pair well together in a name. The Etta is there to smooth things along, of course.

Final Submission

Urnnox

Urn + Noxious.

Pronounced: Urn-Ocks

This is a simple amalgamation of Urn and Nox, from noxious. The pot in which CAP lives very much resembles an urn, a vessel typically used to contain the ashen remains of a living being. Sounds gross, right? Noxious is a cool way to include the Poison-typing of CAP. Also, ending in "-ox" references "box," as in Pandora's Box, and is another simple reference to CAP's jar-like body full of maladies.

This name is simple, easy to pronounce, looks good in text, and flows in the same way other CAP names do (Necturna, Plasmanta, Mollux, etc.) In my opinion, the simplest names in Pokemon are the most endearing, and Urnnox gives that to our new CAP.

Final Submission

Miasmos

Miasma + Pithos

Pronounced: Mahy-Az-Mohs

Combination of Miasma an unpleasant vapor and Pithos, the Greek word for Jar, as in Pandora's Jar. This one's pretty obvious, CAP is a Poison type living in a jar/urn, so it makes sense to combine something poisonous with mention of its home.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Disqualified: Final Submission (Did not follow the specified final submission format)
Final Submission

Flodorero

Pronounced: Flo-do-rer-o

Forero is vase in Spanish while Lode is sludge in Spanish. I combined the two words the give it a nice tone making it easy but slightly fun to pronounce. This CAP mon is literally sludge in a jar so it makes sense. A little thing I noticed were he skulls on the jar which sort of represents the day of the dead which is also a little bit of inspiration towards using Spanish words. This name isn't to obvious to anyone that doesn't speak Spanish but some of the names in Pokemon itself aren't obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Submission

Toxiclay

Simply combining Toxic + Clay, these syllables flow smoothly together and sound nice. The girl looks like wet clay, thus the clay itself is toxic.

Pronounced: Tok-Sih-Clay

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Final Submission

Slopixie

A combination of "slop" (to spill or flow over the edge of a container) and "pixie" (a small, humanlike, supernatural creature).

Pronounced: Slaw-pixie
IPA: släpiksē

Simple, but effectively describes the design in my opinion!

EV

Banned deucer.
Final Submission

Gloppot

A combination of "glop" (ooze, slime, etc) and "pot" (the vessel it resides in).

Pronounced: Glaw-pot

Final Submission

Nervess

Nervous + Vessel

Pronounced: "Nur-ves"
IPA: nɜrvɛs

I settled on this for more reasons than just the combination listed too, that's just what it boils down to. For one, 'could be just me but the prefix of "Nerv-" I like because it connotes with unnerving or poisonous things. There's also the suffix of "-ess" which I think works well, regardless of the fact CAP21/most 'mons are gender neutral. Vessel is a more vague description of a vase by the way, if that causes any confusion.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Meekquarius

Combination of Meek (Timid, Cowardly) and Aquarius (Astrological, Water-bearer, uses Vases often)

Pronounced:"MEEK-wear-i-us"
IPA:mikwɛrajəs

Final Submission

Vatrus

A combination of the words "vat" (a tank, tub, or other similar container for storing liquid) and "virus".

Pronounced: "VAT-rus"
IPA: vætrʌs

Final Submission

Mystruze

Mistress + Ooze

Pronounced: "Mis-trUz"
IPA: mɪstruːz

So I decided to go with this name because the swapped out letters make it look like there are different words in it like mystery and this capmon is pretty mysterious...
But it also looks like the word ruse is in it too :P

Disqualified: Final Submission
Final Submission

Splatoon

A combination of "splat" and "spittoon." May or may not have been inspired by a certain Wii U game involving slime.

Pronounced: SPLAH-tune
IPA: ˈsplætuːn

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)