Whimsicott [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]
Whimsicott is one of the most annoying Pokemon in VGC15 thanks to its disruptive support movepool and Prankster. Between Taunt, Encore, and being the fastest Prankster user in the game, Whimsicott has the unique ability to shut down almost any Pokemon, from Aegislash to Thundurus. With Prankster, Whimsicott can easily use Encore to lock the opposing Pokemon into the ever-present Protect. The mere threat of being locked into Protect forces an opponent to play more aggressively even when it is not beneficial to them. Beyond sheer disruption, Whimsicott can provide direct support to its own team with Tailwind.

Whimsicott's main drawback is that it is incredibly frail, which forces it to use a Focus Sash or risk being OHKOed by even neutral hits, and it is unlikely that Whimsicott will survive for more than two turns. While Whimsicott can be very disruptive, because of its shallow movepool, Whimsicott is very predictable, and its poor offensive stats and limited movepool leave it with little to no offensive presence.

[SET]
name: Disruptive Support
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Encore
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Moonblast / Giga Drain
item: Focus Sash
ability: Prankster
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Whimsicott is primarily used for its ability to disrupt the opponent's strategy; the two best moves for doing this are Taunt and Encore. Taunt prevents the usage of status moves, whereas Encore locks the target into the move it used last. Taunt has the advantage of shutting down Pokemon that rely on support moves to preform well, such as Thundurus, Aegislash, and Amoonguss. While Encore is far more situational, it also has the advantage of being far more general, as Protect is such a prevalent move. This allows Whimsicott to incapacitate almost any Pokemon; Encore can also lock an opposing Pokemon into Trick Room, and Mega Salamence into Dragon Dance. When these moves are used in tandem with each other, Whimsicott has the capability to force switches or allow its partner to pick up KOs or set up. Whimsicott is also capable of providing more direct team support through Tailwind. Doubling your teams's Speed allows for offensive Pokemon, such as Terrakion, Kangaskhan, and Heatran, to attack more freely, as they do not have to worry about being outsped and potentially KOed. Because Whimsicott lacks a real offensive presence, the fourth moveslot should be reserved either Moonblast or Giga Drain. Moonblast OHKOes Hydreigon and 2HKOes Mega Salamence with no HP investment. Giga Drain hits Water-types for super effective damage and lets Whimsicott recover some health. The move that you opt for should be based around the coverage that your team needs the most.

Set Details
========

Whimsicott is a pretty straightforward Pokemon; maximum Speed EVs along with Prankster guarantee that its priority moves will go before Thundurus's. Maximum HP EVs do very little given how frail Whimsicott is anyway; however, no other stat benefits from the investment. Focus Sash ensures that Whimsicott is able to use at least one move before fainting.

Usage Tips
========

Whimsicott works best as a lead, as it offers very little late-game support due to its lack of an offensive presence. While counterintuitive, it's often better to let Whimsicott faint once it has provided its support to allow a more offensive Pokemon to come in and effectively use the disruption that Whimsicott provided early-game. Encore is used to lock an opposing Pokemon into Protect; however, it can effectively be used after Fake Out, Trick Room, or setup moves. As Whimsicott's Special Attack is so poor, it deals very little neutral damage, and it is almost always better to go for either Taunt or Encore. Whimsicott should use Tailwind when it is appropriate, such as when your Pokemon to be faster to win, or when Whimsicott is about to faint and is used as a final form of support.

Team Options
========

Mega Kangaskhan makes good use of Whimsicott's support. Taunt shuts down Aegislash, preventing it from either using King's Shield or Substitute. Taunt also prevents Pokemon from using status moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, two other common ways of checking Mega Kangaskhan. On top of that, Tailwind allows Mega Kangaskhan to outspeed every major threat with boosted or unboosted Speed. Mega Gengar has a far easier time setting up Perish Songs with Whimsicott's support. Whimsicott can also preventMega Gengar from being Taunted itself, as Whimsicott has the fastest Taunt in the game thanks to it Speed and Prankster. With Whimsicott's support, Mega Metagross has an easier time both setting up and maintaining a Substitute. Mega Metagross also appreciates the Speed boost from Tailwind, as it allows it to outspeed Landorus-T and OHKO it with Ice Punch. Offensive Pokemon in general enjoy Tailwind support, with Terrakion and Heatran being two good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Helping Hand is one of Whimsicott's better other options, in tandem with Tailwind it allows Whimsicott's partner to both hit harder and faster. Protect is an option if you are opting for longevity on Whimsicott; however, it is harder to fit on a set without becoming Taunt bait. Mental Herb is an option over Focus Sash if you are concerned with Whimsicott getting Taunted; however, this is very situational. Both Trick Room and Stun Spore are potential options over Tailwind. Trick Room Whimsicott is primarily for the surprise value, but is largely outclassed by Cresselia. Stun Spore lets you paralyze Pokemon, most importantly Landorus-T, but outside of that it is outclassed Thundurus. Charm and Confide are both potential options, as they lower the opposing Pokemon's Attack or Special Attack by two stages, respectively. These moves can be nice for crippling the opponent's powerhouses, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence; however, these drops can be reset by switching out, and the moves take up slots which can be better used by other moves. Fake Tears is an option that lowers the opposing Pokemon's Special Defense by two stages. It can be useful when used alongside strong special attackers such as Mega Gardevoir and Life Orb Rotom-W, which enjoy Tailwind support as well. However, Fake Tears is generally an inferior option to Helping Hand, as it only lowers Special Defense. The TerraCott combination is one which needs mentioning. The combination of Beat Up Whimsicott and Terrakion is both very strong and very obvious. A half decent player will be able to see this strategy coming very easily and will be prepared for it, be it through Choice Scarf Landorus-T or a Wide Guard user. While this strategy is far from a top-tier strategy, but it can be fun to try out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur are some of the best ways of dealing with Whimsicott. Ferrothorn has either Gyro Ball or Iron Head while Mega Venusaur as Sludge Bomb, which will bring Whimsicott down to its Focus Sash.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can OHKO Whimsicott through its Focus Sash, limiting Whimsicott's effectiveness, as it will only be able to use one move before fainting. Be wary of using Fake Out on Whimsicott if you aren't double targeting it, as Whimsicott will use Encore to lock Kangaskhan into Fake Out.

**Fire-types**: Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran all threaten Whimsicott. Talonflame will hit Whimsicott first due to Brave Bird's priority and also has access to Quick Guard , limiting Whimiscott to using at most one move. Heatran and Mega Charizard Y both offensively threaten Whimsicott and don't rely on support moves.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types, particularly Mega Metagross and Heatran, all offensively threaten Whimsicott. Aegislash will win this matchup; however, Aegislash must be careful of Taunt and Encore forcing it to switch, as they block it from or lock it into using King's Shield.

**Quick Guard**: Quick Guard blocks Whimsicott's primary means of support, largely making it useless. Talonflame and Virizion are two of the best users of Quick Guard in the format.

**Ignoring Whimsicott**: If your Pokemon aren't bothered by Taunt or Encore, Whimsicott's lack of offensive presence can be capitalized on. You can double target one Pokemon safely while the opponent is forced to switch out Whimsicott or lose momentum.

[OVERVIEW]
[pros]
  • Prankster, alongside great support movepool.
  • Taunt and Encore, shut down many Pokemon. Whimsicott can be very disruptive to the opponent's team.
  • Tailwind provides nice team support.
  • Fastest Prankster Pokemon.
[cons]
  • Incredibly frail.
  • Very obvious, limited options mean it's very predictable.
  • No offensive presence.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Taunt and Encore provide the primary form of support. Taunt shutting down Pokemon such as Aegislash and Thundurus. Whereas Encore locks a Pokemon into a single move, Protect and Trick Room importantly.
  • Tailwind provides team support. Doubling Speed is beneficial to offensive Pokemon, Terrakion, etc.
  • Giga Drain and Moonblast provides minimal offensive presence. Giga Drain hits Water-types for super-effective damage, and recovers some health. Moonblast OHKOes Hydreigon, and 2HKOes Mega Salamence with no HP investment.
Set Details
========

• Max Speed guarantees that Whimsicott priority moves will go before from Thundurus's.
  • Max HP does very little given Whimsicott's poor defenses, but no other stat benefits from it.
  • Focus Sash ensures that Whimsicott will be able to live on hit.
Usage Tips
========

• If being used Whimsicott should always be lead with, as it offers very little late game.
  • After providing it's support Whimsicott should be left to faint, so that a Pokemon with more offensive presence can come in and make use of the disruption that Whimsicott provided.
  • Encore Pokemon into Protect to shut them down.
  • Taunt or Encore are almost always better than attacking. Whimsicott's neutral damage is poor.
  • Tailwind when required, you need your Pokemon to be faster to win, or when it is a better option than Taunt or Encore.
Team Options
========
  • Mega Kangaskhan. Taunt shuts down Aegislash, one of its biggest counters. Taunt also prevents status moves, Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp. Tailwind Makes Mega Kangaskhan faster than everything with boosted and unboosted Speed.
  • Mega Gengar has a far easier time setting up Perish Songs with Whimsicott's support. Whimsicott can neutralize Pokemon by locking them into moves such as Protect or Fake Out with Encore, as well preventing Mega Gengar from being Taunted as Whimsicott has the fastest Taunt in the game, thanks to it Speed and Prankster.
  • Mega Metagross, Whimsicott's support gives it an easier time setting up and maintaining Substitutes. Mega Metagross also appreciates Tailwind support.
  • Offensive Pokemon which need Tailwind support, such as Terrakion and Heatran.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Helping Hand.
  • Protect.
  • Trick Room. Over Tailwind.
  • Mental Herb.
  • Stun Spore. Over Tailwind.
  • Charm/Confide.
  • Fake Tears. Helping hand usually better.
  • Beat up + Terrakion. Very strong, but obvious. Scarf Landorus-T, priority, faster Pokemon in general all threaten it. With the right support it can be very threatening.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Ferrothorn, Iron Head or Gyro Ball. Mega Venusaur has Sludge Bomb.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can OHKO Whimsicott through its Focus Sash, limiting Whimsicott's effectiveness.

**Talonflame**: Brave Bird, Quick Guard, faster, type advantage.

**Steel-type**: Mega Metagross, Heatran, Aegislash.

**Quick Guard**: Blocks Taunt, Encore, et cetera. Virizion, Talonflame.

**Ignoring Whimiscott**: If your Pokemon aren't bothered by Taunt or Encore, Whimsicott's lack of offensive presence can be capitalized on. You can double target one Pokemon safely, while the opponent is forced to switch or lose momentum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not qc, but possibly Tickle and Worry Seed for OO. Also, although it is kind of garbage, put TerraCott there too imo.

Not qc, but possibly Tickle and Worry Seed for OO. Also, although it is kind of garbage, put TerraCott there too imo.
Tickle is kinda outclassed by Charm, Charms is only really for Mega Khan, Mence, etc. It's better to get the immediate -2 as they can still deal decent damage at -1, and -1 Defense isn't that amazing. Worry Seed is a gimmick worse than TerraCott, the Pokemon which it neuters you can hinder more with taunt/encore, etc. TerraCott is really bad, Scarf Landorus-T is as common as ever. It's also really obvious. I'll add if it comes up in qc, but it's really bad. Thanks though, Tickle is something I looked seriously when I was testing.

No mention of Protect? I mean it is pretty good on Whimsi as it allows it to avoid Fake Out, then Encore next turn. Whimsi is also super frail and in general for scouting what to Encore next turn is very good imo.

I'd prefer to see Moonblast slashed over Giga Drain. Having such a fast way to smack Dragon-types is wonderful.

I would like to see Fake Tears in Other Options. Its okay and hitting something ultra hard is cool. Mention that its more questionable than Helping Hand and more useful for taking down fatter targets

Beat Up and Terrakion is the elephant in the room with Whimsicott. I'd like to see both of them mentioned in Other Options with a disrecommendation that the strategy is super obvious and very questionably effective vs anyone who knows its coming, despite the massive buff it got with Encore + Beat Up being legal.

Other than that, solid work! QC 1/2

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Personally I think Beat Up deserves a bigger mention on Whimsicott because the famous TerraCott core can be very threatening if played right. I would slash it behind Taunt in the main set, and then mention Terrakion in Team Options.

Other than that looks good to me, QC 1/2

Personally I think Beat Up deserves a bigger mention on Whimsicott because the famous TerraCott core can be very threatening if played right. I would slash it behind Taunt in the main set, and then mention Terrakion in Team Options.

Other than that looks good to me, QC 1/2
I'm willing to mention Terracott more favourably than it is now, but I don't remember it really having any success post 2011. It can be threatening, but it requires so much support to work consistently. The set listed works well, Terracott works more variably. I'm willing to mention it more favourably, but I really think OO is the right place for it just due to the inconsistency.

A month late, and I'm not QC, but I have a few nitpicks:

Giga Drain should be unslashed, with only a mention in Moves. It's cool for a bit of recovery and hitting a few mons super-effectively (i.e. Suicune, Azumarill, Rhyperior, Mega Swampert), but Moonblast is more powerful and has better overall coverage (especially since a lot of mons resist Grass). Helping Hand deserves at least a Moves mention as well, it's pretty useful in general (it'd be used over Tailwind, esp. if you already have another source of speed control).

I'm not sure about the EV spread; outspeeding Thundurus is cool, but it sacrifices Whimsicott's bulk, and it's not like Whimsicott can do much to it anyway, while Thundy easily beats it with HP Ice regardless. I'd list a bulky spread with all those SpA and Spe EVs moved and split between its defenses in Set Details at the very least, if not as the main spread. I'm sure there's at least a few different spreads that work efficiently, particularly with the appropriate nature and held item.

Speaking of those, a Bold or Calm nature should also receive a Set Details mention at the very least as well. For the held item, Sitrus Berry or Mental Herb is the most useful item in general, but a type-specific damage reduction Berry of your choice (particularly Coba, Yache, or Occa) works well with a certain EV spread of your choice.

If QC disagrees, then those bulky spreads should be at the top of OO. On that note, remove Helping Hand and Mental Herb, mention both Cobalion and Virizion with the point regarding Beat Up, and Switcheroo + Flame Orb, Lagging Tail, or Iron Ball (it's cool for screwing with fast offensive or support non-Mega mons, but mostly prediction-reliant).

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
ar(c)
amcheck
[OVERVIEW]
(add blank line)
Whimsicott is one of the most annoying Pokemon in VGC15; (RSC) thanks to its disruptive support movepool and its ability, (RC) Prankster. Between Taunt, Encore, and being the fastest Prankster Pokemon in the game, (AC) Whimsicott has the unique ability to shut down almost any Pokemon, from (I would add something like "from bulky Pokemon such as") Aegislash to (..."to fast Pokemon such as") Thundurus. With Prankster, (AC) Encore Whimsicott (I don't know if you meant "With Prankster + Encore, Whimsicott" or "With Prankster, Encore Whimsicott"; the latter says the set is around Encore. Regardless, a comma is needed somewhere.) can lock the opposing Pokemon into, (RC) the ever present, (RC) Protect. The mere threat of being locked into Protect forces an opponent to play more aggressively even when it is not beneficial to them. Beyond sheer disruption, (AC) Whimsicott can provide direct support to its own team with Tailwind.

Whimsicott's main drawback is that it is incredibly frail. Whimsicott's frailty forces it to use a Focus Sash or risk being OHKOed by even neutral hits. It is unlikely that Whimsicott will survive for more than two turns. While Whimsicott can be very disruptive, however, (RC) with its shallow movepool, (AC) Whimsicott is very predictable. Whimsicott's poor offensive stats and limited move slots movepool leaves it with little to no offensive presence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(add blank line)
Whimsicott is primarily used for its ability to disrupt the opponents opponent's strategy,; (RC; ASC) the two best ways of doing this are Taunt and Encore. Taunt prevents the usage of non-offensive status moves, whereas Encore locks the target into the last used move. Taunt has the advantage of shutting down Pokemon reliant that rely (subjective but flows better imo) on support moves to preform well, such as Thundurus, Aegislash, and Amoonguss for instance. While Encore is far more situational, it also has the advantage of being far more general (how?). Protect being such a prevalent move allows Whimsicott to incapacitate almost any Pokemon, Encore can most importantly lock an opposing Pokemon into Trick Room, (RC) and Mega Salamence into Dragon Dance. Combined When these moves are used in tandem with each other, (AC) Whimsicott has the capability to force switches, or allow its partner to pick up KOes, (AC) or set up. Whimsicott is also capable of providing more direct team support through Tailwind. Doubling your Pokemon's Speed allows for offensive Pokemon, such as Terrakion, Kangaskhan, and Heatran, to attack more freely, (AC) as they do not have to worry about being outsped and potentially KOed. While Because Whimsicott's lacks a real offensive presence, (AC) the fourth slot should be reserved for either Moon Blast or Giga Drain. Moonblast OHKOes Hydreigon, (RC) and 2HKOes Mega Salamence with no HP investment. Giga Drain hits Water-types for super-effective super effective damage, (RC) and lets Whimsicott recovers some health. The move which that you opt for should be based around the coverage that your team needs the most.

Set Details
========
(add blank line)
Whimsicott is a pretty straight(remove space)forward Pokemon,; (RC; ASC) Max maximum Speed EVs along with Prankster guarantees that Whimsicott's priority status moves will go before from Thundurus's. Maximum HP EVs does very little given how frail Whimsicott is anyway,; (RC; ASC) however, no other stat benefits from the investment. Focus Sash insures ensures that Whimsicott is able to get off at least one move before fainting.

Usage Tips
========
(add blank line)
Whimsicott works best as a lead, as due to its lack of offensive presence it offers very little in the late game late-game due to its lack of an offensive presence. While counter intuitive, it's often better to leave Whimsicott to faint once it has provided it's its support, (RC) this is to allow a more offensive Pokemon to come in and effectively use the disruption that Whimsicott provided in the early game early-game. Encore is used to lock an opposing Pokemon into Protect primarily,; (RC; ASC) however, it can effectively be used after Fake Out, Trick Room, or set(remove space)up moves. As Because Whimsicott's Special Attack is so poor lackluster, (AC; lackluster fits better imo) it deals very little neutral damage, because of this so it is almost always better to go for either Taunt or Encore. Whimsicott should use Tailwind when it is appropriate,; (RC; ASC) for instance, (AC) when it is needed in order for your Pokemon need to be faster to win, (RC) or when Whimsicott is about to faint and is used as a final form of support.

Team Options
========
(add blank line)
Mega Kangaskhan makes good use of Whimsicott's support. Taunt shuts down Aegislash, preventing it from either using King's Shield or Substitute. Taunt also prevents status moves, such as Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, two other common ways of checking Mega Kangaskhan. On top of that, (AC) Tailwind allows Mega Kangaskhan to outspeed every major threat with boosted or unboosted Speed. Mega Gengar has a far easier time setting up Perish Songs with Whimsicott's support. Whimsicott can neutralize Pokemon by locking them into moves such as Protect or and Fake Out with Encore, (RC) as well preventing and prevent Mega Gengar from being Taunted, (AC) as Whimsicott has the fastest Taunt in the game, (RC) thanks to its high Speed and Prankster. (You mentioned this before though?) With Whimsicott's support, (AC) Mega Metagross has an easier time both getting up and maintaining a Substitute. Mega Metagross also appreciates the Speed boost from Tailwind, as it allows it to outspeed Landorus-T and OHKO it with Ice Punch. Offensive Pokemon in general enjoy Tailwind support,; (RC; ASC) Terrakion and Heatran are good examples.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
(add blank line)
Helping Hand is one of Whimsicott's best other options, (RC) a good alternative to use in tandem with Tailwind, (AC) as it allows Whimsicott's partner to both become faster and hit harder and faster. If you are opting for longevity on Whimsicott, (AC) Protect is an option; (ASC; flows better) if you are opting for longevity on Whimsicott, however, it is harder to fit on a set without Whimsicott becoming Taunt bait. Mental Herb is an option over Focus Sash if you are concerned with Whimsicott getting Taunted,; (RC; ASC) however, this is very situational. Both Trick Room and Stun Spore are potential options over Tailwind. Trick Room Whimsicott is primarily for the surprise value, (RC) factor but is largely outclassed by Cresselia. Stun Spore lets you Whimsicott paralyze Pokemon, Landorus-T importantly; (ASC) however, outside of that, (AC) it is outclassed Thundurus. Charm and Confide are both potential options, as they lower the opponents foe's Attack or Special Attack by two stages respectively. These moves can be nice for crippling the opponents opponent's powerhouses, (RC) like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence among others. However, these drops can be reset by switching out, and the moves take up slots which that can be better used occupied by other better moves. Fake Tears is an option, (AC) as it which lowers the opponents foe's Special Defense by two stages, (AC) which. (Remove Period) It can be useful when used alongside strong special attackers such as Mega Gardevoir and Life Orb Rotom-W, these special attackers both of which enjoy Tailwind support as well. However, Fake Tears is generally an inferior option to Helping Hand, (AC) as it only lowers the foe's Special Defense. The TerraCott Terrakion and Whimsicott combination is one which that needs mentioning, (AC) as the. (Remove Period) The combination of Beat Up Whimsicott and Terrakion is both very strong and very obvious. (then why mention it, and why in OO?) A half decent player will be able to see this strategy coming very easily and will be prepared for it, be it through Choice Scarf Landorus-T or a Wide Guard user. While this strategy is far from a top tier strategy, but it can be fun to try out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur are some of the best ways of dealing with Whimsicott. Ferrothorn has either of Gyro Ball or Iron Head, either or of which will bring Whimsicott down to its Focus Sash. (Remove Period) Whereas, (AC) whereas Mega Venusaur has Sludge Bomb, (AC) which can just as easily bring Whimsicott to its Focus Sash.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can OHKO Whimsicott through its Focus Sash, limiting Whimsicott's its effectiveness, (AC) as it will only be able to get off one move before fainting. Be wary of using Fake Out on Whimsicott if you aren't double targeting it, however, (AC) as Whimsicott will Encore lock Mega Kangaskhan into Fake Out with Encore.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran all threaten Whimsicott. Talonflame is faster than it, (AC) so Brave Bird is a higher priority move due to Gale Wings, limiting Whimiscott to at most one move, while and it also having has Quick Guard to block Whimsicott's attacks. Heatran and Mega Charizard Y both offensively threaten Whimsicott and don't rely on support moves.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types all offensively threaten Whimsicott, especially Mega Metagross and Heatran in particular. Aegislash will win this match-up, (RC) matchup; (ASC) however, Aegislash must be careful of Taunt and Encore, (AC) which force forcing it to switch, as they block it from or lock it into using King's Shield respectively.

**Quick Guard Users**: Quick Guard blocks Whimsicott's primary means of support, largely making it almost completely useless. Talonflame and Virizion are two of the best users of quick guard in the format Quick Guard in VGC 2015.

**Ignoring Whimiscott**: If your Pokemon aren't bothered by Taunt or Encore, Whimsicott's lack of offensive presence can be capitalized on. You can double target one Pokemon safely, while the opponent is forced to switch out Whimsicott or lose momentum. (Uh, what? this last part doesn't make sense, sorry.)
Snobalt P Squared The Dutch Plumberjack

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rhythms add Rhythms remove (Rhythms comment)
Snobalt add Snobalt remove (Snobalt comment)

[OVERVIEW]
Whimsicott is one of the most annoying Pokemon in VGC15; (RSC) thanks to its disruptive support movepool and its ability, (RC) Prankster. Between Taunt, Encore, and being the fastest Prankster Pokemon user in the game, (AC) Whimsicott has the unique ability to shut down almost any Pokemon, from (I would add something like "from bulky Pokemon such as") Aegislash to (..."to fast Pokemon such as") Thundurus. With Prankster, (AC) Encore Whimsicott (I don't know if you meant "With Prankster + Encore, Whimsicott" or "With Prankster, Encore Whimsicott"; the latter says the set is around Encore. Regardless, a comma is needed somewhere.) can easily use Encore to lock the opposing Pokemon into, (RC) the ever-(AH)present, (RC) Protect. The mere threat of being locked into Protect forces an opponent to play more aggressively even when it is not beneficial to them. Beyond sheer disruption, (AC) Whimsicott can provide direct support to its own team with Tailwind.

Whimsicott's main drawback is that it is incredibly frail. Whimsicott's frailty forces it to use a Focus Sash or risk being OHKOed by even neutral hits, and it. It is unlikely that Whimsicott will survive for more than two turns. While Whimsicott can be very disruptive, however, (RC) with because of its shallow movepool, (AC) Whimsicott is very predictable. Whimsicott's poor offensive stats and limited move slots movepool leaves it with little to no offensive presence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(add blank line)
Whimsicott is primarily used for its ability to disrupt the opponents opponent's strategy,; (RC; ASC) the two best ways of moves for doing this are Taunt and Encore. Taunt prevents the usage of non-offensive status moves, whereas Encore locks the target into the last used move it used last. Taunt has the advantage of shutting down Pokemon reliant that rely (subjective but flows better imo) on support moves to preform well, such as Thundurus, Aegislash, and Amoonguss for instance. While Encore is far more situational, it also has the advantage of being far more general (how?). Protect being such a prevalent move allows Whimsicott to incapacitate almost any Pokemon,; (change to semi) Encore can importantly also lock an opposing Pokemon into Trick Room, (RC) and Mega Salamence into Dragon Dance. Combined When these moves are used in tandem with each other, (AC) Whimsicott has the capability to force switches, (RC) or allow its partner to pick up KOes or set up. (Rhythms, remember that Whimsicott isn't the mon that's setting up.) Whimsicott is also capable of providing more direct team support through Tailwind. Doubling your Pokemon's team's Speed allows for offensive Pokemon, such as Terrakion, Kangaskhan, and Heatran, to attack more freely, (AC) as they do not have to worry about being outsped and potentially KOed. While Because Whimsicott's lacks a real offensive presence, (AC) the fourth moveslot should be reserved for either Moon Blast or Giga Drain. Moonblast OHKOes Hydreigon, (RC) and 2HKOes Mega Salamence with no HP investment. Giga Drain hits Water-types for super-effective super effective damage, (RC) and lets Whimsicott recovers some health. The move which that you opt for should be based around the coverage that your team needs the most.

Set Details
========
(add blank line)
Whimsicott is a pretty straight(remove space)forward Pokemon,; (RC; ASC) Max maximum Speed EVs along with Prankster guarantees that Whimsicott's priority status moves will go before from Thundurus's. Maximum HP EVs does very little given how frail Whimsicott is anyway,; (RC; ASC) however, no other stat benefits from the investment. Focus Sash insures ensures that Whimsicott is able to get off use at least one move before fainting.

Usage Tips
========
(add blank line)
Whimsicott works best as a lead, as due to its lack of offensive presence it offers very little in the late game late-game due to its lack of an offensive presence. While counter(remove space)intuitive, it's often better to leave Whimsicott to faint once it has provided it's its support, (RC) this is to allow a more offensive Pokemon to come in and effectively use the disruption that Whimsicott provided in the early game early-game. Encore is primarily used to lock an opposing Pokemon into Protect primarily,; (RC; ASC) however, it can effectively be used after Fake Out, Trick Room, or set(remove space)up moves. As Because Whimsicott's Special Attack is so poor lackluster, (AC; lackluster fits better imo) it deals very little neutral damage, because of this so it is almost always better to go for either Taunt or Encore. Whimsicott should use Tailwind when it is appropriate,; (RC; ASC) for instance, (AC) when it is needed in order for your Pokemon need to be faster to win, (RC) or as a final form of support when Whimsicott is about to faint and is used as a final form of support.

Team Options
========
(add blank line)
Mega Kangaskhan makes good use of Whimsicott's support. Taunt shuts down Aegislash, preventing it from either using King's Shield or Substitute. Taunt also prevents status moves, (RC) such as Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, two other common ways of checking Mega Kangaskhan. On top of that, (AC) Tailwind allows Mega Kangaskhan to outspeed every major threat with boosted or unboosted Speed. Mega Gengar has a far easier time setting up Perish Songs with Whimsicott's support. Whimsicott can neutralize Pokemon by locking them into moves such as Protect or and Fake Out with Encore, (RC) as well preventing and prevent Mega Gengar from being Taunted, (AC) as Whimsicott has the fastest Taunt in the game, (RC) thanks to its high Speed and Prankster. (You mentioned this before though?) With Whimsicott's support, (AC) Mega Metagross has an easier time both getting setting up and maintaining a Substitute. Mega Metagross also appreciates the Speed boost from Tailwind, as it allows it to outspeed Choice Scarf Landorus-T and OHKO it with Ice Punch. Offensive Pokemon in general enjoy Tailwind support, such as Terrakion and Heatran are good examples generally enjoy Tailwind support as well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
(add blank line)
Helping Hand is one of Whimsicott's best other options, (RC) a good alternative to use in tandem with Tailwind, (AC) as it allows Whimsicott's partner to both become faster and hit harder and faster. If you are opting for longevity on Whimsicott, (AC) Protect is an option; (ASC; flows better) if you are opting for longevity on Whimsicott, however, it is harder to fit on a set without Whimsicott becoming Taunt bait. Mental Herb is an option over Focus Sash if you are concerned with Whimsicott getting Taunted,; (RC; ASC) however, this it is very situational. Both Trick Room and Stun Spore are potential options over Tailwind. Trick Room Whimsicott is primarily for the surprise value, (RC) factor but is largely outclassed by Cresselia. Stun Spore lets you Whimsicott paralyze Pokemon, particularly Landorus-T importantly; (ASC) however, outside of that, (AC) it is outclassed by Thundurus. Charm and Confide are both potential options, as they lower the opponents foe's Attack or Special Attack, (AC) by two stages respectively. (Confide drops it by just one stage.) These moves can be nice for crippling the opponents opponent's powerhouses, (RC) like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence among others. However, these drops can be reset by switching out, and the moves take up moveslots which that can be better used occupied by other better moves. Fake Tears is an option, (AC) as it which lowers the opponents foe's Special Defense by two stages, (AC) which. (Remove Period) It can be useful when used alongside strong special attackers such as Mega Gardevoir and Life Orb Rotom-W, these special attackers both of which enjoy Tailwind support as well. However, Fake Tears is generally an inferior option to Helping Hand, (AC) as it only lowers the foe's Special Defense. The TerraCott Terrakion and Whimsicott combination is one which that needs mentioning, (AC) as the. (Remove Period) The combination of Beat Up Whimsicott and Terrakion is both very strong and very obvious. (then why mention it, and why in OO?) A half-(AH)decent player will be able to see this strategy coming very easily and will be prepared for it, be it through Choice Scarf Landorus-T or a Wide Guard user. While this strategy is far from a top tier strategy, but it can be fun to try out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur are some of the best ways of dealing with Whimsicott. Ferrothorn has either of Gyro Ball or Iron Head, either or of which will bring Whimsicott down to its Focus Sash. (Remove Period) Whereas, (AC) whereas Mega Venusaur has Sludge Bomb, (AC) which can just as easily bring Whimsicott to its Focus Sash.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can OHKO Whimsicott through its Focus Sash, limiting Whimsicott's its effectiveness, (AC) as it will only be able to get off use one move before fainting. Be wary of using Fake Out on Whimsicott if you aren't double targeting it, however, (AC) as Whimsicott will Encore lock Mega Kangaskhan into Fake Out with Encore.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran all threaten Whimsicott. Talonflame is faster than it, (AC) so its Brave Bird is a higher priority will always move first due to Gale Wings, limiting Whimiscott to at most one move at most, while and it also having has Quick Guard to block Whimsicott's attacks. Heatran and Mega Charizard Y both offensively threaten Whimsicott and don't rely on support moves.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types all offensively threaten Whimsicott, especially Mega Metagross and Heatran in particular. Aegislash will win this match-up, (RC) matchup; (ASC) however, Aegislash must be careful of Taunt and Encore, (AC) which force forcing it to switch, as they block it from or lock it into using King's Shield, (AC) respectively.

**Quick Guard Users**: Quick Guard blocks Whimsicott's primary means of support, largely making it almost completely useless. Talonflame and Virizion are two of the best users of quick guard in the format Quick Guard in VGC 2015.

**Ignoring Whimiscott Taunt and Encore Absorbers**: If your Pokemon aren't bothered by Taunt or Encore, Whimsicott's lack of offensive presence can be capitalized on. You can double target one Pokemon safely, while the opponent is forced to switch out Whimsicott or lose momentum. (Uh, what? this last part doesn't make sense, sorry.)
Nice work buddy!
GP 1/2

Last edited:
Just wanted to comment on the EV spread before the second GP check. If the HP EVs purportedly aren't doing anything then they might as well be in Special Attack, since in theory you'll always be using either Moonblast or Giga Drain on the listed set. However, the only situation bulk EVs are going to be relevent is surviving specific 3/2HKOes, and since there are notable instances of these nearby, I'd personally be in favor of going back to the spread that outspeeds Thundurus. 236 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe, for example, makes Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Return a 2HKO, and 4 SpA Cresselia's Ice Beam a 3HKO. At minimum, I think the 4 Special Attack EVs should be moved into Defense, as that reduces the chance Jolly Mega Kangaskhan's Return will KO from 11.7% to 7%.

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I assume you implemented Snobalt's check from glancing at the intro... next time please change the title as well or at least post something like "implemented" so we can finish faster! :D

[OVERVIEW]
Whimsicott is one of the most annoying Pokemon in VGC15 thanks to its disruptive support movepool and Prankster. Between Taunt, Encore, and being the fastest Prankster user in the game, Whimsicott has the unique ability to shut down almost any Pokemon, from Aegislash to Thundurus. With Prankster, Whimsicott can easily use Encore [capitalize move names] to lock the opposing Pokemon into the ever-present Protect. The mere threat of being locked into Protect forces an opponent to play more aggressively even when it is not beneficial to them. Beyond sheer disruption, Whimsicott can provide direct support to its own team with Tailwind.

Whimsicott's main drawback is that it is incredibly frail, [ac] which Whimsicott's frailty [preventing repetition of Whimsicott, it/its, or frail] forces it to use a Focus Sash or risk being OHKOed by even neutral hits, and it is unlikely that Whimsicott will survive for more than two turns. While Whimsicott can be very disruptive, because of its shallow movepool, [ac] Whimsicott is very predictable, [ac] and its Whimsicott poor offensive stats and limited movepool leave it with little to no offensive presence.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
[blank line]
Whimsicott is primarily used for its ability to disrupt the opponent's strategy; the two best moves for doing this are Taunt and Encore. Taunt prevents the usage of status moves, whereas Encore locks the target into the move it used last. Taunt has the advantage of shutting down Pokemon that rely on support moves to preform well, such as Thundurus, Aegislash, and Amoonguss. While Encore is far more situational, it also has the advantage of being far more general, as Protect [capitalize] is such a prevalent move. This allows Whimsicott to incapacitate almost any Pokemon; Encore can also lock an opposing Pokemon into Trick Room, and Mega Salamence into Dragon Dance. When these moves are used in tandem with each other, Whimsicott has the capability to force switches or allow its partner to pick up KOes KOs or set up. Whimsicott is also capable of providing more direct team support through Tailwind. Doubling your teams's Speed allows for offensive Pokemon, such as Terrakion, Kangaskhan, and Heatran, to attack more freely, as they do not have to worry about being outsped and potentially KOed. Because Whimsicott lacks a real offensive presence, the fourth moveslot should be reserved either Moon Blast Moonblast or Giga Drain. Moonblast OHKOes Hydreigon and 2HKOes Mega Salamence with no HP investment. Giga Drain hits Water-types for super effective damage and lets Whimsicott recovers recover some health. The move that you opt for should be based around the coverage that your team needs the most.

Set Details
========
[add line]
Whimsicott is a pretty straightforward Pokemon; maximum Speed EVs along with Prankster guarantee that Whimsicott's its priority moves will go before Thundurus's. Maximum HP EVs do very little given how frail Whimsicott is anyway; [SEMICOLON, not comma] however, no other stat benefits from the investment. Focus Sash ensures that Whimsicott is able to use at least one move before fainting.

Usage Tips
========
[add line]
Whimsicott works best as a lead, as it offers very little late-game support [? I assume?] due to its lack of an offensive presence. While counterintuitive (x), it's often better to leave let Whimsicott to faint once it has provided its support, as this is to allow a more offensive Pokemon to come in and effectively use the disruption that Whimsicott provided in the early-game [hyphenate]. Encore is used to lock an opposing Pokemon into Protect primarily, [rc]; [SEMICOLON] however, it can effectively be used after Fake Out, Trick Room, or setup moves. As Whimsicott's Special Attack is so poor, [ac] it deals very little neutral damage, because of this and it is almost always better to go for either Taunt or Encore. Whimsicott should use Tailwind when it is appropriate, for instance when it is needed in order for such as when your Pokemon to be faster to win, or when Whimsicott is about to faint and is used as a final form of support.

Team Options
========
[add line]
Mega Kangaskhan makes good use of Whimsicott's support. Taunt shuts down Aegislash, preventing it from either using King's Shield or Substitute. Taunt also prevents Pokemon from using status moves, [rc] such as Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, two other common ways of checking Mega Kangaskhan. On top of that, [ac] Tailwind allows Mega Kangaskhan to outspeed every major threat with boosted or unboosted Speed. Mega Gengar has a far easier time setting up Perish Songs with Whimsicott's support. Whimsicott can neutralize Pokemon by locking them into moves such as Protect or Fake Out with Encore, as well can also preventing Mega Gengar from being Taunted itself, [ac] as Whimsicott has the fastest Taunt in the game, [rc] thanks to it Speed and Prankster. With Whimsicott's support, [ac] Mega Metagross has an easier time both getting setting up and maintaining a Substitute. Mega Metagross also appreciates the Speed boost from Tailwind, as it allows it to outspeed Landorus-T and OHKO it with Ice Punch. Offensive Pokemon in general enjoy Tailwind support, with Terrakion and Heatran being two are good examples.
[add line]
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
[add line]
Helping Hand is one of Whimsicott's best better other options, in tandem with Tailwind it allows Whimsicott's partner to both hit harder and faster. Protect is an option if you are opting for longevity on Whimsicott; [SEMI not comma] however, it is harder to fit on a set without becoming Taunt bait. Mental Herb is an option over Focus Sash if you are concerned with Whimsicott getting Taunted; [SEMI not comma] however, this is very situational. Both Trick Room and Stun Spore are potential options over Tailwind. Trick Room Whimsicott is primarily for the surprise value, but is largely outclassed by Cresselia. Stun Spore lets you paralyze Pokemon, most importantly Landorus-T importantly, but outside of that it is outclassed Thundurus. Charm and Confide are both potential options, as they lower the opponents opposing Pokemon's Attack or Special Attack by two stages, [ac] respectively. These moves can be nice for crippling the opponent's [apostrophe] powerhouses, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Salamence among others; [semi not period] however, these drops can be reset by switching out, and the moves take up slots which can be better used by other moves. Fake Tears is an option which that lowers the opponents opposing Pokemon's Special Defense by two stages. It can be useful when used alongside strong special attackers such as Mega Gardevoir and Life Orb Rotom-W, these special attackers which enjoy Tailwind support as well. However, Fake Tears is generally an inferior option to Helping Hand, [ac] as it only lowers Special Defense. The TerraCott combination is one which needs mentioning. The combination of Beat Up Whimsicott and Terrakion is both very strong and very obvious. A half decent player will be able to see this strategy coming very easily and will be prepared for it, be it through Choice Scarf Landorus-T or a Wide Guard user. While this strategy is far from a top-tier [hyphenate] strategy, but it can be fun to try out.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur are some of the best ways of dealing with Whimsicott. Ferrothorn has either of Gyro Ball or Iron Head while Mega Venusaur as Sludge Bomb, either or which will bring Whimsicott down to its Focus Sash. Whereas Mega Venusaur has Sludge Bomb which can just as easily bring Whimsicott to it Focus Sash.

**Mega Kangaskhan**: Mega Kangaskhan can OHKO Whimsicott through its Focus Sash, limiting Whimsicott's effectiveness, [ac] as it will only be able to get off on use one move before fainting. Be wary of using Fake Out on Whimsicott if you aren't double targeting it, as Whimsicott will use Encore to lock Kangaskhan into Fake Out.

**Fire-types**: Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran all threaten Whimsicott. Talonflame is faster than it so will hit Whimsicott first due to Brave Bird's priority and also has access to Quick Guard is a higher priority move, limiting Whimiscott to using at most one move, while also having Quick Guard to block Whimsicott's attacks. Heatran and Mega Charizard Y both offensively threaten Whimsicott and don't rely on support moves.

**Steel-types**: Steel-types, [ac] particularly Mega Metagross and Heatran, [ac] all offensively threaten Whimsicott, Mega Metagross and Heatran in particular. Aegislash will win this match-up, [rc] matchup; [semi] however, Aegislash must be careful of Taunt and Encore forcing it to switch, as they block it from or lock it into using King's Shield.

**Quick Guard**: Quick Guard blocks Whimsicott's primary means of support, largely making it useless. Talonflame and Virizion are two of the best users of Quick Guard [capitalize move names] in the format.

**Ignoring Whimiscott Whimsicott**: If your Pokemon aren't bothered by Taunt or Encore, Whimsicott's lack of offensive presence can be capitalized on. You can double target one Pokemon safely, [rc] while the opponent is forced to switch out Whimsicott or lose momentum.

2/2

you missed several things in Snobalt's check and deleted some words, so please remember to implement carefully so when it goes onsite there aren't random words missing in the middle of sentences

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)