Media Videogame thread

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
sight, another souls argument, here we go.

(slight dark souls 2 spoilers ahead)

Freedom Planet
I think there's a LOT of reasons someone who liked Dark Souls 1 wouldn't like 2, but you probably wouldn't hate it the first time, or at least you'll like the DLC. Have you played Bloodborne? That's where it's at.
No there aren't. Yes, Dark Souls 1 is an overall better game, but no body who liked dks1 will really "hate" dks2. It's a bit easier, I don't like the new weapon break mechanics, it's a flat world instead of one that's more intricate in its design with shortcuts and shit, combat's a bit more clunky... but it's still a pretty damn good game with amazingly designed areas (that poisonous area, dragon aerie, and the one that looked like its flooded come to mind in particular). there really aren't a lot of reasons to hate dks2. If I were to give them numbers I'd give dks1 a 9/10 and dks2 an 8.5/10.

also listing some games from last year won't make me change my mind about dks2 being 2014 goty o.o

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly more than anything you listed the enemy placement just feels really chunky and I enjoyed my second playthrough very little.

also listing some games from last year won't make me change my mind about dks2 being 2014 goty o.o
Maybe not, but made it sound like 2014 was a bad year or something.

ok ok i don't wanna start another argument lol

i've heard that the controls on bloodborne are slightly different from DS and that can throw people off, so i'm probably not going to be playing it anytime soon - also it's quite pricey. i've also heard the comparison that DS2 bosses are a bit more humanoid and bloodborne is more on the eldritch abomination side. normally bloodborne would pique my interest more, but my favorite DS1 bosses were O&S and artorias so DS2 seems like a better personal fit

I've also barely scratched the surface of DS1 so i'm probably going to throw a few dozen more hours into it, maybe try a themed build, i dunno. beat gwyn a few hours ago, was pretty satisfying to finish my first playthrough.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone tried Dragon Quest heroes yet? Just saw its getting a release on steam, I've seen mixed reviews but keen to try another DQ game since I loved 5,6 and 9. I understand it plays like a hack n slash but am still interested since I enjoy those.

Dark Souls 2 was definitely a step back from the first one (as opposed to Bloodborne which was two steps back and one to the side) but both are pretty solid choices if you're liking the series.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've only played about an hour of Xenoblade Chronicles (plane had movies), but it's already made something of an impression on me. The battle system kind of reminds me of WoW (or what little I've played of it years ago), but with positioning being important for certain moves. Loving the voice work so far; the Welsh(?) accents are good are good fit while still being comprehensive.

Would you guys recommend something like Fire Emblem Awakening for someone who has never touched a real RPG?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bioshock trilogy is 85% off and being sold for 8-10 bucks, definitely get it imo one of the best franchises from last gen.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Dishonoured is also 75% off and being sold for 3 euros lmao this is an amazing game get it if you can. GOTY of whatever year it was released in.

GatoDelFuego can attest to that imo

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dishonoured is also 75% off and being sold for 3 euros lmao this is an amazing game get it if you can. GOTY of whatever year it was released in.

GatoDelFuego can attest to that imo
Yeah for real. This game is so well made. It's one of few games that I've put the time into 100% completion, because every bit of it is designed with such polish and focus. The level designers are really geniuses, because there are so many opportunities for you. The game is actually really easy if you're not on a high difficulty selection, but the way it sets up enemies to eliminate or bypass makes it all seem like a puzzle to be solved. The real fun starts when you limit yourself to silent runs or no kills runs, because it makes you squeeze your allowed actions to the highest level. The fact that all of the stages in the game allow for this kind of freedom, but still enough focus to make specific challenges difficult, shows true genius.

Should I buy Ori and the Blind Forest? I really want too, but I want to know if it's alright to play it using only keyboard.
Yes, it's fine (though you will also want a mouse if you lack one--it's used to control a fairly important ability [probably my favorite ability in the entire game] later on.)

It's a fantastic game, BTW--the soundtrack is amazing, there are plenty of moments to remember, the artstyle is gorgeous, and the gameplay is great.

Yes, it's fine (though you will also want a mouse if you lack one--it's used to control a fairly important ability [probably my favorite ability in the entire game] later on.)

It's a fantastic game, BTW--the soundtrack is amazing, there are plenty of moments to remember, the artstyle is gorgeous, and the gameplay is great.
Alright, great! I have a mouse of course, but I know certain platformers are better with a control so I wanted to know. The art and music (I saw one episode of gameplay, didn't want it spoiled.) seem very Studio Ghibli to me, and I'm excited to get it. It's on sale on Steam for $11.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
picked up dead rising 2: off the record, forgot how absolutely wicked fun these games are, altho im super bad

if anyone here has any of the SC2 games, just a note that online co-op missions should be available regardless of which expansions you have! they're pretty fun, you get your choice of three heroes to level up as (six if you have LotV) and can do random online matchmaking or play with a friend. you get paired with randoms in like 5 seconds anyway so yeah. i've learned that kerrigan cracklings are broken as fuck.

if anyone is interested in SC2 as an esport, the game's been gathering a decent amount of traction lately and has been getting more and more viewers, though this could just be because of how new the game is. overall LotV looks to be a lot more exciting of a game than HotS was. i'm surprised that there wasn't a dedicated starcraft thread on this subforum, otherwise i would have posted this there.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The FFVII remake had some footage shown at PlayStation Experience or whatever today. Apparently they've ditched the turn-based combat in favor of real time action that looks like it's curbing off of Kingdom Hearts, though there's also an ATB bar.

aVocado

@ Everstone
It was kinda obvious they'd ditch the turn based combat system because it's old as hell, but I'm really sad they did it tbh. I wanted to experience it in a version of FF7 that doesn't look like absolute fucking garbage graphics-wise ;_; like i can accept old gen graphics but goddamn ff7 is fucking ugly

Still, it looks a lot like crisis core's combat, which I /really/ liked, so it's not like I'm not satisfied with the change.

Also i'm surprised they gave us footage this early lol, it looks fucking amazing.

Last edited:
So I did buy Ori and the Blind Forest. And I love it. So much rage (Curse you anti-gravity!) which is common for me in platformers. But this is the first game to make me tear up a lot... I'm not even done. I'm scared to get to the end.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
crisis core's combat was good but it got away with that because zack fair was alone for 90% of the game. if those were anything but cutscenes im going to be extremely fucking disappointed and just replay ff6 for ios i guess. how hard is it to NOT change the game? christ

edit: those were definitely not cutscenes

aVocado

@ Everstone
Yeah turn based rpgs are so fucking old I mean Square's only good game in ten years was Bravely Default and people won't shut up about Undertale BUT GOTTA FUCKING PANDER

won't buy it rip in piece ff7

edit: I'm really hoping this just LOOKS dynamic, but I mean, look at it
You're missing one thing tho, those aren't AAA titles. Like, they probably don't even come close to one tenth of ff7 remake's cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)