The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
A little bit of backstory, I started playing Pokemon in Gen I back in 1999, but I didn't pick up and play a Gen II game until the holiday season of 2006. Why is this relevant? Keep on reading to find out.

I've had not my first, or first two, but my first three shiny Pokemon ever from Fire Red meet unfortunate ends, due to being a 10-11 year old noob/just being plain stupid.

The first shiny I ever came across was a shiny Gastly from Lost Cave. Since I didn't know what a shiny Pokemon was at the time, 10 year old me freaked out over seeing a blue Gastly with a weird "ding" sound accompanying it. I thought my game glitched up, so I promptly turned off the game at the encounter. RIP Gastly.

The second shiny was a Slowpoke from Cape Brink. I did catch this one for myself, but general noobness would also ensure his existence would be a short-lived one. Despite the whole Togepi egg thing from Five Island, I still wasn't aware that you could actually breed Pokemon at this point; I still had the Gen I mindset that gift Pokemon were one-off species, unless you trade for more of them. I promptly traded the Slowpoke to my brother in exchange for his Togepi, unaware that I could've just bred another egg on my own. Not even a week later, my brother got his LG cart stolen. RIP Slowpoke.

The third shiny was a Zubat from Mt. Moon. I caught this one, traded it to my Emerald cart, trained it, and used it in the Battle Frontier. All was good in paradise...until I learned of this intriguing peripheral called a Game Shark. I bought one from the local Game Stop, and went to town using all sort of codes on the game, one of which was a warp code that didn't work properly for some reason (iirc, it was the Faraway Island code). Instead of taking me to the island, the warp code spits me out in the middle of the ocean at what was supposed to be the island, with Surf active. I couldn't move, use Fly, or use an Escape Rope; the only escape was to restart. In a spontaneous act of brilliance, I saved my game, restarted it, and realized I just got myself stuck in some non-existent location with no way out, except restarting the the save file. Diamond/Pearl were out at this time, and said Zubat (now a Crobat) was in my PC box.....but it knew Fly. RIP Crobat.

tl;dr I had a reputation as a shiny Pokemon serial killer back during the GBA days.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
A long time ago, I was messing around on pokemon emerald, and I had a team of level 100's. I was facing Wallace and felt like throwing my master ball at his Milotic just for fun, and then when I found Latias later, I was like "OH SHIT IT'S GONE" because I failed to realize that the game saves right after defeating the champion.

Another moment I had, was the 1st time I tried catching Regice. I managed to PP stall it with a ton of failed Ultra Balls, and that's when I saw the move Struggle for the very first time. I was like "HOLY CRAP THIS THING HAS 5 MOVES" and then used my master ball on it, only to find out later struggle wasn't on it's move list.

I'm pretty sure we've all had that time when your only mon was poisoned, and you didn't have any potions or antidotes, and you managed to "black out" 1-2 steps away from Nurse Joy.

I had caught my first ever shiny (Golbat) on Pokemon Platnium because of sheer luck. I left the game, forgot about it, and then I reset the save data. Literally right after I reset it I remembered that I had a shiny Golbat on there. I haven't caught a shiny since. :(

Reactions: JES
Any of you guys remember that Shiny Dog Trio event period for HG/SS?
I managed to get Shiny Suicune and Shiny Entei from them, back on my first HG copy, when I was young and stupid.
One of my friends offers to trade a Pichu for my Suicune, and a Vulpix for my Entei.
I also traded my ONE Eevee on the GTS for a Raichu, even using my ONE Thunderstone on it to make it a Jolteon and finish the trade.
These are only some of my noob offenses from my first HG game. I was an idiot.

Any of you guys remember that Shiny Dog Trio event period for HG/SS?
I managed to get Shiny Suicune and Shiny Entei from them, back on my first HG copy, when I was young and stupid.
One of my friends offers to trade a Pichu for my Suicune, and a Vulpix for my Entei.
I also traded my ONE Eevee on the GTS for a Raichu, even using my ONE Thunderstone on it to make it a Jolteon and finish the trade.
These are only some of my noob offenses from my first HG game. I was an idiot.
I regret missing those events entirely, though I did at least get the Celebi one for Platinum and SS... Not that I would have known to RNG them to not suck, but still.

When I was 9 I took my sister's ruby version without her noticing looked at her pokemons to realize she had a yellow groudon (I didn't know shiny pokemons existed back then) I then overwrote on her file because I had found and catch a wurmple...

Also, I was Random encountering in friend safari while watching series. I didn't have the sound on and didn't look at the pokemon before running away. It was a shiny female snorunt...

MOD EDIT: Please don't double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my sister trade a shiny Froslass that was holding a Master Ball in one of those B2W2 random WI-Fi trades you know, with the hackmons because it didn't look even remotely different from a normal Froslass.

Yeah, I heard that one of my friends found a Celebi while walking around in Illex Forest. Is that possible?
No. BUT, if you were to take the Celebi to the shrine in Ilex Forest, it would trigger an event. (eventually ending up in the little room in Tohjo Falls and battling Giovanni) You could also use the Relocator in B/W with the Celebi to get Zorua.

No. BUT, if you were to take the Celebi to the shrine in Ilex Forest, it would trigger an event. (eventually ending up in the little room in Tohjo Falls and battling Giovanni) You could also use the Relocator in B/W with the Celebi to get Zorua.
Oh.
I defeated legendaries instead of trying to catch them to show that I was a Pokemon Master.

Little did I know that I had a long way to go...
No big deal, just rematch the Elite 4 and head back over there. Works in every generation.

EDIT:Heh, you already know that, don't you... Wow...

In pokemon emerald I ran away from a shiny. Poochyena at that one route after petalburg city. It was so early on in the game. My reasoning was that I already had a Poochyena.

I thought altering cave in emerald and leaf green had mew two in it so I ran throughout the cave for ages and ages.

The first time I saw suicune in leaf green in over reacted and ran from it.

Oh.
No big deal, just rematch the Elite 4 and head back over there. Works in every generation.
EDIT:Heh, you already know that, don't you... Wow...
Only since gen 4 has this held true. In gen 3 if you fainted a wild legendary, you didn't get a second chance at it. (though I think you could just wait for Groudon and Kyogre's weather spots to pop up again in Emerald if you faint them by accident)

Not really facepalm worthy but an interesting story:

On heart gold I was in Exrueteek city. I decided to train my pokemon in the grass route south of the city. I didn't check my poke gear. I shouted out loud "Entei" before running in as a joke. What happened next was so unexpected. Different battle music played. I began to panic. Instead of a wild pokemon appearing in front of me, it was Entei himself! I was so shocked as I hadn't checked my pokegear and it randomly appeared just as I was joking. It then fled. That is my experience with the pokemon Entei.

Forgetting that Toxicroak is Poison / Fighting ( I thought it was Dark / Fighting) and Close Combatted it with my Terrakion during the days of BW. It then OHKOed back with Drain Punch.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In Gold, I was level grinding a Hitmontop that knew Theif and was holding the EXP Share on Route 34. At one point I fought a Ditto, who stole my EXP Share and died because I didn't try to catch it. I lost my EXP Share because of it.

Reactions: JES
Ditto transformed into a Trainer's Pokemon, thus Theif stole the item.
It is still a wild Pokémon. No amount of Transform can change that. Also, even if that was true, you are always returned the item starting in Generation III (in NPC trainer battles, you could lose your item due to Thief in Gold, Silver, and Crystal).

In a related story, I used to think I would lose the item if it was Knocked Off in previous games, so I would actually reset if that happened. It wasn't until THIS Generation (I've been playing since Platinum, competitively since Black and White) that I learned otherwise thanks to Knock Off actually becoming good.

It is still a wild Pokémon. No amount of Transform can change that. Also, even if that was true, you are always returned the item starting in Generation III (in NPC trainer battles, you could lose your item due to Thief in Gold, Silver, and Crystal).

In a related story, I used to think I would lose the item if it was Knocked Off in previous games, so I would actually reset if that happened. It wasn't until THIS Generation (I've been playing since Platinum, competitively since Black and White) that I learned otherwise thanks to Knock Off actually becoming good.
AND we're arguing over whether or not something happened to someone else. In Pokemon Gold. When said person says it happened.
Edit: Let's not forget that for a while, all Pokemon that used Transform were treated as Ditto, and wild pokemon that knew moves they weren't supposed to know were treated a bit differently. I have no clue whether or not this applies to Gen 2 or is restricted to Gen 1, since the only other Pokemon that knows Transform is Mew.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)