Project RU Matchmaking Redux (Week 7: Support Jumpluff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Torterra is bait for Tangrowth. It generally struggles with Fire-types, Durant, and Ice-types. So I'll take a more defensive approach:

Emboar @ Leftovers
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower

Fat Pig Emboar is a great defensive partner for Torterra bar the shared Flying weakness. Emboar is a strong check to Tangrowth, Durant, and most opposing Fire- and Ice-types thanks to its typing and heavily invested bulk. Will-O-Wisp nerfs physical attackers, which can help Torterra tank hits on that end of the spectrum even more reliably. Protect is really nice to make sure the opponent isn't trying to send in something like Jolteon or Eelektross to lure in Torterra with a coverage move. Flare Blitz and Superpower provide strong STAB options to allow Emboar to beat what its supposed to offensively. A specially defensive EV spread is used considering a lot of the things Torterra needs Emboar to switch in on hit from the special side most times (Houndoom, Abomasnow, Tangrowth, etc.) but you can certainly go more physically defensive if Mega Glalie, SD Mega Abomasnow, Escavalier, and Durant are more troublesome to you. Remember, Torterra is complete bait for Tangrowth and generally complete bait for (Mega) Abomasnow, so any defensive partners need to take care of them as a high priority.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Just a reminder, there's only two more days to post a partner for Torterra. The last two weeks, we've had 6 entries each. If possible, I'd like to at least have that many again.

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs:252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Water
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Torterra has problems with Durant, Fire types, and Ice types. Scarf Delphox can take on all of those fairly well with Flamethrower and HP Water. Dazzling Gleam also hits Flygon and Houndoom quite well, and with Torterra on your side, you don't need Grass knot to take on Slowking and Alomomola because you have Wood Hammer :)

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Megahorn

Torterra despise facing ice types like sneasel and mega glalie, opposing bulky grass types like tangrowth and mega abomasnow / abomasnow and mons like vivillon which while uncommon can use torterra as setup bait. Enter escavalier which possess the ability to check or directly beat a ton of mons that give torterra trouble while it appreciates torterra getting rid of water types and opposing steel types like mega steelix which escavalier cant touch and all. Be aware they share a fire weakness so patch that with other potential partners (something something mola, jellicent, slowking)

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
That concludes Week 3! Glad to see there were a few last minute submissions and thanks to everyone that participated. The winners for this week are Tyrantrum (fran17), Emboar (EonX), and Escavalier (MrAldo). Congratulations! It was super close between Escavalier and Slowking, but I didn't think Slowking had a super great match up against most common Grass- and Ice-types since they all outspeed and typically hit Slowking hard.

Week 4:

Magneton @ Eviolite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Llamas came up with this pretty nifty trapper set which you can read more about here, though I did switch it to HP Fire. I'll be very interested to see what comes out of this.

By the way, if anyone has any feedback about how this thread could be improved, please let me know. I've been trying to mix things up each week with mons that are either uncommon or new-ish to the tier. If you have an ideas or would like to see things go in a different direction, I'd love to hear about it. I was thinking about giving a break down of each submission or maybe creating a rubric for submissions. Is that something people would like for me to do?

Reactions: rau

eren

je suis d'ailleurs
Reserving Trum!

CHE TE NE FREGA (Tyrantrum) @ Stone Plate
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake

RP Tyrantrum is an excellent partner for this set as Magneton is able to trap its main check, Steelix. With Hidden Power Water, Magneton can also heavily damage another great Tyrantrum check in Rhyperior. Either of these weakened or removed greatly aid a Rock Polish Trum sweep.

Finally: Magnet Rise Magneton is criminally underused. I've been preaching it for ages now.

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

SD Aboma is a cool partner for this because Magnezone can weaken Durant and Escavalier in order to put them in Aboma's range. Aboma on the other hand uses fat ground types that checks Magne as a setup fooder :)

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Flygon can check the Pokemon Magneton hates, i.e. Heat Wave Sigilyph, Houndoom and Seismitoad. Magneton in turn takes care of Flygon's checks in Togetic and Abomasnow as well. They can also check each other's weaknesses (Magneton takes care of Ice while Flygon takes care of Fire and Ground).

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Durant @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Thunder Fang / Hone Claws
- Superpower / Hone Claws

Life Orb Durant is scary enough as it is. Eliminate the Pokemon that force it to use Superpower (and likely switch out due to stat drops) and it becomes even scarier. While Durant does next to nothing for Magneton defensively, it becomes a complete menace if Maneton is able to remove the likes of Escavalier and Mega Steelix. Magneton also fares decently well against Slowking, which can OHKO with Fire Blast if Durant misses, and it can force a lot of damage on Seismitoad thanks to Magnet Rise, thus allowing Durant to reliably push through it with X-Scissor. Hone Claws can be used over either coverage option to fix Durant's accuracy, but having Thunder Fang for Qwilfish and Superpower for Steels in case Magneton is caught off guard by something is advised as a backup measure.

Ping_Pong_Along you should do Zebstrika next lol. totally not biased at all lol

Braviary (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird

You know what 'mon eats defensive teams for lunch? This guy. You know who hates steel types? This guy. But in all fairness, Braviary is still a very underrated threat for teams who struggle against balance or stall teams. Alomomola? Set-up bait. Amoonguss? Set-up bait. Gastrodon? You get the idea. This thing has the natural bulk to set-up on weak special attackers and substitute allows it to set up on status-reliant walls. It's bulk and great base attack stat also allows it to serve a small role against offensive teams, although that's not where it truly shines. Unfortunately, rock and steel types prevent Braviary from having the party it deserves. This is where Magneton comes in. It's ability to trap M-Lix and Registeel serves a great purpose when paired with Sub-BU Braviary. These two also have great type synergy: Magneton can take on Steel, Electric and Ice moves for Braviary while Braviary can take on the Ground types that target Magneton pre-Magnet Rise. Obviously Magneton cannot trap rock types (although it can Magnet Rise on Rhyperior and pressure it w/ Flash Cannon), so it makes sense to add a bulky water to the core such as Seismitoad, who can provide entry hazards and take on the aforementioned Rock types. Seismitoad also takes on fire moves directed at Magneton while both Braviary and Magneton can handle the Grass moves aimed at Seismitoad. Overall, a solid core for a balanced team.

Last edited:
Reserving Meloetta Didn't realize i still had to do this LOL

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

Mel is nice as it is walled by the very thing that Mag beats, Mlix. Mel on the other hand beats all the fighting types that plague Magneton. Scarf allows Meloetta to outspeed ScarfLee and +1 DD Scrafty.

Last edited:

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Great submissions everyone! Since it's already Wednesday, I'm gonna extend the deadline until this coming Monday. Feel free to post any of the recent drops.

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Okay, that's all for "Week" 4! The winners for this week are Tyrantrum (slurmz), Durant (EonX), and Braviary (Ban Me). Congratulations! I was pretty torn between Durant and Flygon, but I figured Durant takes better advantage of the holes Magneton punches through teams.

Week 5:

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Part of the reason I waited an extra week was so that people could get to use our new mons. Can't wait to see what you all come up with and keep up the great submissions.

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Sigilyph Durant

Durant @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Baton Pass

Durant forms a cool core with Absol because it can take care of the Fairy-type Pokemon for Absol, while still living a Mach Punch from Hitmonlee and Gurdurr due to it's good Defense stats. Absol also benefits from the fact that Durant forces a lot of switches, and it can gain momentum by clicking Baton Pass, giving Absol a chance to boost against that Pokemon if it tries to switch out.

Last edited:
Granbull @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Close Combat

So, Gran's a pretty cool partner for Absol here. Thanks to its typing and Intimidate, it can work very well as a cushion for the Fighting-types Sol fears, most notably Hitmonlee. Granbull can also work as a pretty good lure for Mega Steelix which, although is dealt with after a +2 Superpower, is always good to have worn down due to its prevalence as a defensive Pokemon.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
reserving Uxie

Blind Sight (Uxie) @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Memento
- Psyshock

Uxie is a nice fighting check which really thretens Absol's sweep. Stealth Rock gets the extra chip damage and break Focus Sash. U-turn can help to gain momentum for other team mates and Memento helps to get Absol reasy for his sweep. Psyshock can OHKO Hitmonlee which is the most prevelant fighting type with Mach Punch at the moment. The EV spread is meant to outspeed Adamant Hitmonlee. Colbur is used to help eat a Knock Off which can help to lure in things to set up the Absol sweep.

Last edited:
reserving delphox

Delphox @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Grass Knot

Delphox pairs nicely as it basically beats the biggest threats to Absol, which are steel types and fighting types. Colbur helps with some random threats like S-Punch Hitmonlee, and a few things like Tomb. Calm Mind helps boost it's wallbreaking prowess, and avoid things like S-Punch

Last edited:

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 96 HP / 164 SpA / 248 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- U-turn
- Psychic

Mesprit fulfills multiple roles for Absol, including a fighting check, rock setter to break sashes, U-turner to keep momentum going, and Healing Wish to help give Absol a second life if you manage to survive a while! [Mesprit doesn't get Memento, okay?] Psychic is here instead of Psyshock because Absol handles the physical side of things pretty darn well, if I may.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Protect

Shark makes an amazing duel dark core weakening tisse for Absol and once togetic tries to switch in on Absol's Knock Off its OHKOed by Ice after rocks. You can change Ice Beam to Aqua Jet to revenge fletch

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Great submissions for week 5! The winners for this week are Sharpedo (DKFirelord), Durant (Arifeen), and Uxie (SlaySlenderDragon XD). Congratulations! Honorable mention goes to Granbull (Esidisi).

Week 6:

Aggron @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Fire Punch

As an added challenge, I'm going to add that you can't submit Tyrantrum for this week.

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!

Uxie @ Leftovers / Colbur
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam / U-Turn
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

Uxie can provide Aggron with T-Wave support also Stealth Rock can weaken down Aggron switch in for it. Uxie also can also get Aggron in for free on a U-Turn. Uxie resists Fighgting and is immune to Ground already getting rid of Aggrons two most common weaknesses.

Last edited:

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reserving vileplume

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Aggron can struggle against water types like seismitoad, grass types like tangrowth and virizion and fighting types like scrafty and hitmonlee. Vileplume helps with this issue being able to soft-check an amazing amount of mons that threaten aggron with a decent offensive presence for a mon, while aggron takes care of the issue vileplume has against flying types. Cool duo overall.

Last edited:
reserving seismitoad

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave/Grass Knot

Seismitoad pairs well with Aggron for two main reasons. 1st off, it can tank all the water type moves thrown at Aggron and then hit back with some decent potency. It also takes out Mlix, which prohibits MAggron from spamming Head Smash :(

Uhh thanks Arifeen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)