Pokkén Tournament

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Finally, the long-awaited return of Shadow Pokémon
Jokes aside I'm now even more confused on whether or not it'll be playable lol. I mean I wouldn't mind it remaining an ultra-powerful boss but I could totally see a powered-down, non-shadow Mewtwo being unlocked after you beat this or something.
I'm sure that'll be the case. They have the model and the moveset so they'll probably have a normal Mewtwo.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I hope we can unlock some characters after beating their stages.
Seriously, if they have Mewtwo, but not playable, a lot of fans will cry. Mewtwo's really popular, right?

So is this also tacit confirmation of a single-player campaign? I don't think I'd seen anything explicitly about single-player before now.

Alternatively Dark Mewtwo could be the Master Hand equivalent in this game. I think I'd prefer to see a more fleshed-out single-player, because when done right those can teach you so much about how to play the game, and I often find in this sort of game I'm missing a lot of the depth because I don't know all the combos etc.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
The single player will likely be exactly like Street Fighter or Tekken... 10 matches of varying difficulty ending in a boss.

I can't really see it being anymore than that.

The single player will likely be exactly like Street Fighter or Tekken... 10 matches of varying difficulty ending in a boss.

I can't really see it being anymore than that.
Makes sense, thinking about it, considering that it's at heart an arcade game. Arcades can't really have any sort of play session that requires you to save and come back later.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shadow mewtwo really looks like an extra boss such as Akuma in Street Fighter.

Also I'm pretty sure that Weavile could be interesting to play, it is fast and strong, fore sure I will main it !

Well, might as well put it out there: if we buy the first release version of the game we'll be able to get an amiibo card that unlocks Shadow Mewtwo from the start. So, better get it quickly before the amiibo hunters start eating it up.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Did I mishear the Direct or did they say Shadow Mewtwo was going to be playable?
They weren't really clear. They said they were releasing a card that would unlock it from the start instead of you needing to go through certain requirements. Though they never explained what they meant by unlocked. Will it be a playable character? Will we just be able to battle it whenever we want?

Also it sort of looks like the Pokken Trailer was implying there would be a story mode of some kind in the Wii U version probably involving Shadow Mewtwo being the main antagonist.

Last edited:

Reisen

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Generally when there is an announcement like this one "mewtwo joins the battle" it means that the character would be playable but I agree on the fact that they weren't very clear.

Anyways can't wait until spring 2016 !

Reisen

Here are my thoughts about the playable characters

PIKACHU

Pikachu will definitely be top tier in Pokken Tournament game. Indeed Pikachu is very fast and strong in melee. It can even using moves like Electro Ball which allows Pikachu to keep a pressure by the distance. What makes Pikachu so powerful ? It is all about its starting combo moves. We can notice the fact that Pikachu has access to some Heihachi's moves, who is one of the strongest playable character in the Tekken games. Pikachu has access to Hell Axle which is Heihachi double air kick move but it also has access to Dragon Uppercut, which is the strongest Heihachi move. If we take a look at the starting combo moves, Pikachu can use the Spinning Demon and also the Wind God Fist which is a very famous move in Heihachi movelist when you want to start a combo. All of these moves are powerful and make Pikachu very dangerous in the Pokken Tournament game. Combinated with a fluidity in the battle, Pikachu will definitely be one of the strongest characters, but also one of the easiest to main in my opinion. It will be a strong character that could fit very well for casual players.

BLAZIKEN

Blaziken looks very interesting in its way of making combos. Its movelist seems to be mainly composed by kicks moves and Blaziken reminds me a lot of Hwoarang, a famous Tekken character that is practicing Taekwondo. Blaziken is fast and has an impressive strength. It also has access to a mega evolution which makes it even more dangerous. I really think that Blaziken could be one of the most interesting character in Pokken Tournament just by the fact that it can make fluid and fast combos, whether air or land. I hope it will not hard to play, as Hwoarang is, because I would really enjoy to play Blaziken.

GARDEVOIR

The main problem of these kind of games is that front and melee moves have a huge advantage. Gardevoir has, in my opinion, a limit in that game because it can only make a pressure by distance. Gardevoir melee moves are mostly made to protect itself. However, Gardevoir can make a huge pressure by distance. It has access to some powerful moves such as Moonblast and Magical Leaf. The player will need to be very good to main Gardevoir and to be able to make a pressure by distance to the opponent.

WEAVILE

Weavile is my favorite character in Pokken Tournament, it will be the first that I will play with. Weavile is known to have very good Atk and Speed stats. It is confirmed in Pokken Tournament, Weavile is strong and very fast. All its combos are fluid and it can also make some ice traps on the field, which allow Weavile to be able to make a pressure in a specific area. I don't know why but it reminds me a lot of Wolf in Super Smash Bros. I also really enjoy how Weavile dodges in Pokken.

SUICUNE

Like Gardevoir, Suicune is very strong with making a pressure by distance. However, the main difference between Gardevoir and Suicune is that Suicune is able to fight in melee also. It has a very nice move that can protect itself on 360 degrees which allows Suicune to repel the opponent and be able to attack him by distance. Yet, I think that Suicune will be quite difficult to main, that's the problem with characters that make a main pressure by distance.

GENGAR

I really thought that regular Gengar was slow at the beginning but I was wrong. Gengar is powerful and has awesome moves such as Hypnosis or Shadow Punch. It looks like it can also use Shadow Sneak. Gengar is able to make a direct pressure to the opponent even if he is far away by using the Shadow Punch move that can be used by distance and also in melee. Gengar has access to its Mega evolution and its special move (looks like Dream Eater) is very strong. It literally remove more than 250 HP to a Weavile, which is massive. Its regular moves are very strong however, Mega Gengar is slow as I thought. Gengar has access to solid moves, looks strong and funny but I don't think I would play it personally.

CHARIZARD

I wasn't really surprised to see Charizard as a playable character in Pokken Tournament. It has some moves from Super Smash Bros and can also make a pressure by distance by using fire balls that can be charged. It also has access to its mega evolution X however I find Charizard very low in this game. I found it low in Super Smash Bros aswell, I'm not really fan of Charizard even if it looks powerful.

LUCARIO

Lucario is truly amazing in Pokken Tournament. Indeed it has a very fluid melee moves and it is very fast. Lucario is also able to use Aura spheres which can be charged just like in Super Smash Bros which make it even more dangerous. Lucario is faster in Pokken than in SSB in my opinion and I find it great because Lucario originally needed to be like that. Lucario can make fantastics dodges and isn't heavy, which means that it can easily jump and then be able to own the area. I don't think that Lucario will be hard to main, however it would probably be difficult to make combos but this is what makes Lucario interesting. It also has access to its mega evolution, which just make it more powerful. Lucario will definitely be part of the top characters in the Pokken Tournament in my opinion.

MACHAMP

Machamp reminds me a lot of a mix of wrestling Tekken characters. It has access to some King and Craig Marduk moves which are really strong in Tekken. Machamp isn't fast, just like Marduk but its strenght is really incredible. Certainly the best in melee, if the opponent is trapped in a corner by Machamp, you are sure that Machamp would totally own it. However like I said before, Machamp is quite slow, which is always a problem against fast Pokemons such as Weavile or Lucario. I think that Machamp could be part of the best characters but it will have to be played perfectly due to its lack of speed in its combos and movements.

PIKACHU LIBRE

Pikachu Libre is way different than regular Pikachu. Indeed, it makes a lot of wrestling moves and isn't faster as regular Pikachu. I'm really not interested in that character to be honest, but I think it could be difficult to main because I don't see a lot of combos from this character, it is more like wresting powerful moves but that's all what Pikachu Libre can really do. However, I really like the wink they did with the Tekken character Jaycee, who is available in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 because the wrestling moves are very similar to her.

Jaycee

King

Marduk

Hwoarang

Heihachi

Last edited:

Reisen

Awu PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we not have any discussion of tiering etc in a game that's not even out yet? How on Earth can you know what will be the strongest characters in a game you haven't played?
By watching video of matches.

Also;
Here are my thoughts about the playable characters
This isn't a tiering thing, this is just my opinion based on my Tekken experience.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
This isn't a tiering thing, this is just my opinion based on my Tekken experience.
first sentence said:
Pikachu will definitely be top tier in Pokken Tournament game.
Yeah.

I wouldn't make judgments until you have your hands on the controller and can compare notes with other players. You don't know the frame data, cancels (if any), or the general quirks of how each character plays.

Cresselia~~

I wouldn't make judgments to comments of people who haven't played.
Watching videos are not going to tell much about how difficult each Pokemon are.
Pokken is a fighting game, and everyone functions differently when it comes to fighting games, because people have different reflexes/ cognition abilities. preferences, and ways around things.
A character easy for somebody is not necessarily easy for you.

Reisen

I know guys, I just gave my personal opinion about the playable characters it might be different for the others which I totally respect.

When I say that Pikachu would definitely be top tier, I say that because it seems to have a fluid and fast movelist in my opinion again I wouldn't offend anyone, just share my thoughts.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I know guys, I just gave my personal opinion about the playable characters it might be different for the others which I totally respect.

When I say that Pikachu would definitely be top tier, I say that because it seems to have a fluid and fast movelist in my opinion again I wouldn't offend anyone, just share my thoughts.
Problem is you got to remember the weaknesses that probably comes with it. Pikachu is small and quick but that usually means its hits are weaker. And watching a video can only tell you so much, you need to play the character that for you if the balance is just right or if there's something off and you can't get into the character.

For example many people say Meta Knight is top tier in SSB, but I just can't get a feel for him. I don't know why, but it feels like Meta Knight is just not a character for beginners/casual players which I would classify myself as.

Problem is you got to remember the weaknesses that probably comes with it. Pikachu is small and quick but that usually means its hits are weaker. And watching a video can only tell you so much, you need to play the character that for you if the balance is just right or if there's something off and you can't get into the character.

For example many people say Meta Knight is top tier in SSB, but I just can't get a feel for him. I don't know why, but it feels like Meta Knight is just not a character for beginners/casual players which I would classify myself as.
Well, that's usually the balancing point of those kinds of characters. They are among the best if you can master them but anyone else with a working knowledge of the other characters can almost always school someone that isn't a master playing as him. There are always a few characters like that in fighting games.

Pikachu may also have very low health too such that any good attack would hurt it seriously. I don't know because I didn't watch, but there's always those kinds of balancing points in these games especially if Pikachu's attacks aren't weak/it's not too difficult to juggle your opponent around

It really depends upon how high the skill cap is. I'm actually kind of hoping for a rather large skill cap so as a competitive game it can have longevity much like Super Smash Bros. Melee; but... it's kind of difficult to determine if it will be. I mean, on one hand; the guys behind Tekken have a big hand in making it. They've been making fighting games for ages, they know what makes them tick; if they want to make a really good complex fighting game, they'll make a really good complex fighting game. ... I mean, I assume. I've never actually picked up a Tekken game so I'll just go by the reputation, large fanbase and the fact it's still going.
On the other hand... this is a Pokémon game. It has to be accessible to every corner of the very large variety of fans Pokémon attracts; including of course kids so this means the game may have to be simplified. Now of course, as shown with the aforementioned Super Smash Bros., it's very possible to make a game with a large skill cap which is still very accessible for casual players... but at the same time, the incredibly simple gamepad on the arcade versions doesn't inspire much confidence. I mean, I'm sure it'll still be a very good game; I'm still hyped for it more than any other Pokémon game, but I can't really help but wonder exactly how good this will be from a competitive angle.

Kurona, I agree with the majority of your post but I remain optimistic that the developers can nail that magic blend of accessibility and depth that makes Pokemon so great. Also, given Nintendo's good track record with Sm4sh and Splatoon of regularly tweaking the game post-launch, any imperfections in the game could be ironed out post-launch. That said, the same wavedashing that has given Melee its legendary status would be the first thing to be "fixed" by a patch if Melee were released today, so maybe you could argue that excessive tinkering post-launch is not a good thing for a game that is aspiring to have a serious competitive scene.

Kurona, I agree with the majority of your post but I remain optimistic that the developers can nail that magic blend of accessibility and depth that makes Pokemon so great. Also, given Nintendo's good track record with Sm4sh and Splatoon of regularly tweaking the game post-launch, any imperfections in the game could be ironed out post-launch. That said, the same wavedashing that has given Melee its legendary status would be the first thing to be "fixed" by a patch if Melee were released today, so maybe you could argue that excessive tinkering post-launch is not a good thing for a game that is aspiring to have a serious competitive scene.
That is definitely what I'm hoping for too; that'd be the absolute perfect ideal. It's honestly more the pad for the arcade version that scared me the most due to how incredibly simple it was - if I recall it was literally a single button and a d-pad; which made it seem a lot to me like they were trying to make it a bit too accessible at the cost of a good, flourishing competitive scene. We really can't say anything for sure without actual experience of course and I don't think this would make it a bad game - again, I'm more excited for it than any other Pokémon game there's ever been - it's... just a little nagging worry at the back of my head, I suppose.
I did forget about the patch angle tho. As it is a fighting game with a style that seems angled at a slightly higher age group than Pokémon is normally used to I can definitely see support similar to Smash's - albeit much, much less due to Smash being a massive title and Pokken... being a spin-off - especially in the form of a DLC character or two. That said, patches for fighting games; even ones that aren't really fixing any glitches and are just changing up the metagame a little (RIP Smash 4 Luigi), don't... really have any significant impact upon the base game. Whether you have the 1.1.2 update of Smash 4 or just the bare bones from release, it's really not that different - it's still the same gameplay. That said patches to change up the meta would be cool

"A new announcement is to be made about Pokkén Tournament on December 10th. This announcement is to be a brand new character as well as the winner of a recent Twitter campaign to decide a new Support Pokémon. Not much is known about which these Pokémon are yet, but the hint given is that the Pokémon will have the Japanese character "ン" in its name."
~Serebii

NEW POKéMON AREN'T DONE YET LET'S GO

Cresselia~~

"A new announcement is to be made about Pokkén Tournament on December 10th. This announcement is to be a brand new character as well as the winner of a recent Twitter campaign to decide a new Support Pokémon. Not much is known about which these Pokémon are yet, but the hint given is that the Pokémon will have the Japanese character "ン" in its name."
~Serebii

NEW POKéMON AREN'T DONE YET LET'S GO
"ン"? Let's see.
There's a lot of them, such as:
Muk,
Slowpoke,
Slowbro,
Slowking,
Munna,
Kingler,
Kingdra,

I'd say that Slowpoke/ Slowbro is very likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)