2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
PenaltyPool is back. 3 precious points to the Red Men!!!
Some awful decisions by the ref and poor performance but just happy that Liverpool took advantage of the points dropped by Top 4 rivals. Plus, Sturridge and Henderson are finally back so Liverpool might seriously challenge for Top 4, especially as most of the "harder" away fixtures were over.

I'm surprised at myself for not being disappointed by today's result. Especially considering our position; a draw's no better than a loss. I suppose Spurs feel more like losers than we do though. On an unrelated note, have any of you ever taken the dizzy penalty challenge? Went out for a game with my friends after the derby and tried it for myself; I went around the ball twelve times (I'm 6'1) and could only graze the top of the ball with the sole of my boot as I fell lmao we laughed so hard. The others took it with relative ease as they're shorter.
The dizzy penalty is always the best. I managed to hit the ball on target so big ups there, but anyone in a wheelchair could have saved the shot so...

Reactions: HBK
So, Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo got on the Balon D'Or shortlist with Suarez missing out. Not exactly unpredictable but still makes me laugh at how he gets in while Suarez gets snubbed despite being part of the attack that scored 125 goals between them. I'm not even going to talk about Ronaldo's form and performances, especially in BIG games (no, scoring 5 goals against Granada / Espanyol doesn't count).

Suarez : 40 goals + 22 assists
Ronaldo: 48 goals + 14 assists

Then, you think about who plays a part in the big games. Hint: It's not Ronaldo.
Suarez scored against Man City, PSG, Real Madrid and Juventus while also having 2 assists against Bayern Munich.
What did Ronaldo do? Score a penalty against Barcelona? Scoring 5 goals against Espanyol?

Then, you think about their performances. When Ronaldo is not scoring, his contribution to the team is zero. Plus, he is totally reliant on the team to provide chances for him. (for proof, look at how many of his goals are tap-ins and penalties). In contrast, Suarez helped to turn Barcelona's form around after he has completely settled in, and that was when Barcelona was in bad form and Messi was calling for Luis Enrique's head. Suarez and Neymar also helped to carry Barcelona this season while Messi was out injured.

Well done, FIFA.

Last edited:
So, Messi, Neymar and Ronaldo got on the Balon D'Or shortlist with Suarez missing out. Not exactly unpredictable but still makes me laugh at how he gets in while Suarez gets snubbed despite being part of the attack that scored 125 goals between them. I'm not even going to talk about Ronaldo's form and performances, especially in BIG games (no, scoring 5 goals against Granada / Espanyol doesn't count).

Then, you think about who plays a part in the big games. Hint: It's not Ronaldo.
Suarez scored against Man City, PSG, Real Madrid and Juventus while also having 2 assists against Bayern Munich.
What did Ronaldo do? Score a penalty against Barcelona? Scoring 5 goals against Espanyol?

Then, you think about their performances. When Ronaldo is not scoring, his contribution to the team is zero. Plus, he is totally reliant on the team to provide chances for him. (for proof, look at how many of his goals are tap-ins and penalties). In contrast, Suarez helped to turn Barcelona's form around after he has completely settled in, and that was when Barcelona was in bad form and Messi was calling for Luis Enrique's head. Suarez and Neymar also helped to carry Barcelona this season while Messi was out injured.

Well done, FIFA.
I mean, everyone knows the Ballon D'Or is a joke award that is basically a popularity contest.

Well done, FIFA.
Let me warn you right now. If you spend too much time trying to think logically about FIFA's decisions, you will eventually lose your sanity. We all know how the top 5-10 players lay out, let fifa be ridiculous

Its bullshit that Neymar keeps getting rated as better then Suarez. I would like to see Neymar or Ronaldo carry an only half decent Liverpool side to within three points of the premier league title. I am not sure Messi could have either.

Its bullshit that Neymar keeps getting rated as better then Suarez. I would like to see Neymar or Ronaldo carry an only half decent Liverpool side to within three points of the premier league title. I am not sure Messi could have either.
outside of liverpool, barcelona, and people who enjoy watching the game, nobody like suarez as a pr athlete. He is top 3 but its not great pr for fifa so they will keep ronaldo in there for publicity

Idk I like Suarez a lot more than Neymar. I see Suarez as someone who has that competitive spirit but is also willing to help teammates and doesn't need to bask in the glory. Neymar on the other hand just whines and dives a lot. Suarez has his own theatrics too, but I find Neymar to be more obnoxious than Suarez when it comes to diving.

i really need someone to photoshop messi's head to a picture of DJ khaled with the caption: "another one."

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I will never fathom how Ronaldo made it over Suarez in to shortlist...He's still a top player, but this year he been nowhere near spectacular in flair, OR goals

the power of fanboy boners amazes me.

I will never fathom how Ronaldo made it over Suarez in to shortlist...He's still a top player, but this year he been nowhere near spectacular in flair, OR goals

the power of fanboy boners amazes me.
Pretty much this. The only reason he gets in is because he gets a lot of goals but you have to remember that most of them comes from tap-ins and penalties against small teams. Plus, Ronaldo's 48 goals + 14 assists might sound amazing but it is actually similar to Suarez's 40 goals + 22 assists. You also have to consider that Suarez is adjusting to a new league and doesn't have the team revolve around him. Plus, unlike a certain no.7, Suarez performs against big teams.

You would have thought that teams have learned to not play an open game against Liverpool after Liverpool destroyed Chelsea and Man City lol. Saying that, Liverpool really need to make Anfield a fortress again to sustain a real Top 4 challenge and perhaps a trophy (would be a great start for the new manager).

You would have thought that teams have learned to not play an open game against Liverpool after Liverpool destroyed Chelsea and Man City lol. Saying that, Liverpool really need to make Anfield a fortress again to sustain a real Top 4 challenge and perhaps a trophy (would be a great start for the new manager).
top 4 finish is seeming realistic right now and taking the league cup seriously might fill that quota

top 4 finish is seeming realistic right now and taking the league cup seriously might fill that quota
I know it looks great but the performance and results at Anfield hasn't been that good. Still, I'm buzzing. To think of just being 6 points off the top of the table and now in the semis of the League Cup. What a turnaround by Klopp - and that's with Rodgers's squad.

I know it looks great but the performance and results at Anfield hasn't been that good. Still, I'm buzzing. To think of just being 6 points off the top of the table and now in the semis of the League Cup. What a turnaround by Klopp - and that's with Rodgers's squad.
we will see how well they do once the buzz dies down a bit. By next year, he should have his players in and the buzz will die down and we will see how good he can make liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)