Multi Gen Simple Questions, Simple Answers Mk. II (Read Before Making a Thread)

As it says in the title, please make sure to read this before posting a thread in the subforum. If you have a question that can be answered in one post, please ask it here. Threads are intended for discussion and those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation.
why is xernues moon blast very powerfull and can mostly ko almost all pokemon in 1-2 turns?
When posting in the thread, please follow these guidelines:
  1. Make sure that your post is relevant to Ubers.
  2. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  3. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  4. At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  6. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.
  7. If you're new to Smogon and looking for help getting acquainted, check out the Mentorship Forum.

Frequently Asked Questions

When will [insert Pokemon here] / [insert Move here] / [insert Item here] be banned?

It will not.

Why is Mega Rayquaza banned?
You can read about it here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rules-general-information-and-helpful-links.3536522/

Can I ask a question about any generation of Ubers here?

Yes. Make sure you specify which Gen you're referring to.
As it says in the title, please make sure to read this before posting a thread in the subforum. If you have a question that can be answered in one post, please ask it here. Threads are intended for discussion and those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation.

2. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  3. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  6. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.
  7. If you're new to Smogon and looking for help getting acquainted, check out the Mentorship Forum.

When will [insert Pokemon here] / [insert Move here] / [insert Item here] be banned?

It will not.

You can read about it here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rules-general-information-and-helpful-links.3536522/

Garchomp has no niche at Ubers, while MegaMence is one of the best pokemon here.

Take a look at the Viability rankings to see wich are the best mons at Ubers.

Last edited:
I used to play pokemon a lot like 8-9 years ago nowhere near as big as it is now ofcourse. I recently found a server on minecraft about pokemon and decided to try it out and it's amazing so far, tons of old pokemons, I'm not up to par with all the new gen pokemons and such so I'm not sure up to what gen the server is.

However I would love to get some help from experienced people to make a proper team, theres 2-3 pokemons that I absolutely love and would love to make a team around them(Keep in mind I'm a complete noob when it comes to making teams and competitive play, there are no restrictions either, no banned pokemons etc).

Tyranitar
Semi shitty IVS
EVS: 255 atk 180 SPD and 77 HP

Salamance
IVS: 26 26 31 28 31 31
EVS: 255 ATK 1 Defence 3 SP Defence 252 SPD

Rayquaza

Don't have one yet but I'll be getting it soon.

Edit:
Just got a Metagross, think it will fit well with this team, unsure what to train the EVs for though was thinking 252 Atk and split the remaining betwen DEF and SDef

PS: There's no leagues so feel free to mix every type of pokemon you remember to make a great team around these 3 if you can please!

PS2: The server's pokemons only go up to Rayquaza/Celebi!

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why do some recommended move sets for Mega Mawile include Baton Pass but doesn't include Substitute, or stat boosting moves?
Baton Pass is mainly used for passing stat boosts, and beneficial statuses. Also, Baton Pass can be used for switching out without getting Pursuit Trapped. Pursuit Trap doesn't seem to be much of an issue for Mega Mawile, since it resists dark attacks and has good physical bulk.

Just out of curiosity, why do some recommended move sets for Mega Mawile include Baton Pass but doesn't include Substitute, or stat boosting moves?
Baton Pass is mainly used for passing stat boosts, and beneficial statuses. Also, Baton Pass can be used for switching out without getting Pursuit Trapped. Pursuit Trap doesn't seem to be much of an issue for Mega Mawile, since it resists dark attacks and has good physical bulk.
i really dont know man

It will not.

why is drakries dark void at 80% can it get lower than that

It will not.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Baton Pass is to be used to gain momentum on switches into its checks, partnered with things like Primal Kyogre who can take advantage of the common Primal Groudon switch-in.

this is not a place to joke
If a moderator posted after me on that same day and still let that post stay without commenting on it, then clearly there is no problem with the post. Please don't quote 3-month old posts in an attempt to mini-mod or fish for likes. If you had any idea what had been going on at the time I posted that, you'd understand why I did it.

Also, you don't need to quote the OP to ask a question, especially since your questions keep getting lost inside of weird quote boxes. I assume this was your question?
why is drakries dark void at 80% can it get lower than that
If so, the answer is that Game Freak set it to 80%, so we set it to 80%. Also, aside from the use of Brightpowder, evasion abilities like Sand Veil and attacks that lower accuracy like Sand Attack (lol), the accuracy won't get lower.

Is there a way for a Rayquaza with Dragon Ascent to be unable to Mega Evolve? (While having the mega bracelet).

Will the event Rayquaza evolve if it knows DA but I didn't complete the Delta Episode?

Last edited:

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
You have to click the mega evolve button to mega evolve it. You can choose to keep it unmega'd and still use Dragon Ascent.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
No idea, but if I had to guess it's derived from that Nieztch guy's book and the term Ubermench or whatever. It means "the superman" or something.

I'm almost guranteed to have butchered the spelling (it's German), so I suggest you look it up.

The crossover of the term "über" from German into English goes back to the work of GermanphilosopherFriedrich Nietzsche. In 1883, Nietzsche coined the term "Übermensch" to describe the higher state to which he felt men might aspire. [Sarah's note: mensch means "man" in German.] The term was brought into English by George Bernard Shaw in the title to his 1903 play Man and Superman.

from the almighty wikipedia, let's forget it was commonly used by the nazis to referr to arian people so we don't have to come up with a new tier name imo

edit because perfectionism:

Über, sometimes written ueber, uber oruuber, is a German language word meaning "over", "above" or "across". It is anetymological twin with German ober, and is cognate (through Proto-Germanic) with English over, Dutch over, and Icelandicyfir, among other Germanic languages. It is also distantly cognate to both Latin superand Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), through Proto-Indo-European.

Last edited:
The crossover of the term "über" from German into English goes back to the work of GermanphilosopherFriedrich Nietzsche. In 1883, Nietzsche coined the term "Übermensch" to describe the higher state to which he felt men might aspire. [Sarah's note: mensch means "man" in German.] The term was brought into English by George Bernard Shaw in the title to his 1903 play Man and Superman.

from the almighty wikipedia, let's forget it was commonly used by the nazis to referr to arian people so we don't have to come up with a new tier name imo

edit because perfectionism:

Über, sometimes written ueber, uber oruuber, is a German language word meaning "over", "above" or "across". It is anetymological twin with German ober, and is cognate (through Proto-Germanic) with English over, Dutch over, and Icelandicyfir, among other Germanic languages. It is also distantly cognate to both Latin superand Greek ὑπέρ (hyper), through Proto-Indo-European.
Thanks, but why was it chosen as the term for the Smogon tier? Was there any real meaning to the decision, or was it just chosen because it sounded cool way back when Smogon was first made?

Uh I guess as more pedantic way of stating the tier contains 'the best'. Makes sense because the best translation is probably 'upper'. So yeah probably the latter, you'd have to ask @c.haos to be sure I guees

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thanks, but why was it chosen as the term for the Smogon tier? Was there any real meaning to the decision, or was it just chosen because it sounded cool way back when Smogon was first made?
To embrace our Germanic roots. Our name is the German translation of Koffing, after all.

Okay, I seriously don't know, it was probably just because it sounds cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)