ORAS Ubers Balanced Uber Squad. Peaked 11th

Hey y'all, im here just making another RMT because I want to try out a new team. I made this team randomly and added some new moves here and there to optimize and it managed to do well and even beat some top of the ladder players. It even peaked 11th before the ladder was reset and managed to get into the upper 1680's with my alt account. Considering the ladder was reset, I want to try playing with a new team and hopefully attempt to improve this team so it can peak better in the future if used again.

Proof of peak:
Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 11.05.37 AM.png

After playing with many playstyles, my preferred one is clearly balance. I hate stall and hyper offense is either a hit or miss for me. I lurked around the smogon forums and had a decent idea of what kind of team I wanted to create, mainly revolving around Ho-Oh as it's my favourite 'mon currently.

Team members:

fcbNBfZ.png

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 12 Spe / 44 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake

No team can really be classified as an Uber team if Primal Groudon isn't present. The opportunity cost of not using it on your team is too high imo. I chose the standard Sp.def primal groudon because it does so many things. It can check xerneas at +2 and cripple it with para (although it takes ~50% from a moonblast). It can burn things with lava plume and when boosted by the sun and STAB along with the fact Pdon's not too shoddy SpA plus it has a 30% chance to burn foes makes it a very useful move. Earthquake is another mandatory STAB and I chose it over Precipice Blades because I prefer the accuracy over immediate power. Stealth rock is Stealth rock and useful when the other team has Ho-Oh, Lugia, Yveltal, or Mega Salamence, etc. I took away 12 EV's from defence and put them into speed so I can speed creep other Primal's. Also provides with a crucial paralysis and burn immunity.

big_thumb_204d12d04253985e6b73f556b511046c.jpg

Yveltal @ Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 244 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Every team needs a mandatory E-killer check and I chose the standard defensive Yveltal set. Yveltal checks E-killer- Arceus Ghost, Mega Gengar, the Lati's. This set can OHKO a +2 standard E-killer with foul play when combined with dread plate. Sucker punch is also useful when the opponent is a choiced mon or you know when an attack is coming. It can also deal decent damage to mega-kanga and Ho-OH and OHKO Latios and at times Latias, depending on the EV spread. Taunt is useful when the other team sends out a pink blob or lugia and when combined with sucker punch, can result in decent damage being done. Toxic was originally in place of Oblivion wing but after realizing I had two other pokemon, I decided to use oblivion wing to gain back decent HP and lengthen Yveltal's longevity. Plus it helps against an incoming dark resist mon such as Xerneas.

Arceus-water-form-pokemon-trading-cards-9164786-293-240.jpg

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Defog
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Arceus-Water is one of the better primal groudon checks in the tier. And I chose its bread and butter set except I decided to use ice beam over Judgment for personal reasons. It can beat Pdon 1v1 by utilizing toxic and icebeam and defogging away stealth rocks. Recover is mandatory as it allows Arceus-Water to extend its lifespan and when combined with its decent physical bulk, makes it hard to wear down. Toxic is used to wear down opponents. Defog is used to clear away hazards for Ho-Oh and Yveltal. I prefer ice beam over judgment because it does more damage to Rayquaza, Mega-Salamence and incoming Lati switch in. EV's are self explanatory. 252 HP for maximum bulk, 16 in speed to make it a respectable speed tier along with speed creep and the rest in defence to handle primal groudon and other physical attackers such as Mega-salamence and Ho-Oh better.

mega_gengar_by_perfect1up-d6yd7wj.png

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

I chose Mega Gengar as my Mega initially because I wanted to test it out and see how it fits onto this team. It surprisingly fit very nicely and performs a lot of roles well. It can check and trap walls such as the pink blobs and Lugia (without psychic) and eliminate them using taunt and either destiny bond/focus blast). After mega evolving, I can use mind games to help check E-killer if yveltal is weakened or down using destiny bond and taunt. It also provided a nice Extremespeed and fake out resist and can be useful against Xerneas if it hasn't geomancied yet. The moveset is pretty standard. Destiny bond is to help eliminate mons that would be a hindrance to my team such as Arceus-Water. Taunt is useful against walls and against playing mindgames with other pokemon, so I can later use destiny bond to eliminate them and help pave the way for a win. Shadow ball is mandatory STAB and does decent damage to the Lati@s, Giratina, Arceus-Ghost, etc. Focus blast is the last move and is my only option because it has decent coverage albeit shaky accuracy. It hits Blissey, ferrothorn, mega kanga, Arceus and darkrai for decent damage ( if it doesn't miss -.-) Ev's are once again standard. 252 to speed tie mewtwo and other mega gengar after evolving, 252 in special attack to maximize damage output. Provides a crucial poison immunity as well.

Ho-Oh_HeartGold_&_SoulSilver_TCG_artwork.jpg

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Easily the MVP and my favourite pokemon on the team. This thing is my main way of doing significant damage to the other team so it's crucial that rocks are off the field. Moveset is standard for the choice band set. I think Sacred fire is probably the most OP move. It has 100BP, 95% accuracy and 50% chance to burn the foe. All of this, when combined with Ho-oh's decent special bulk and regenerator, make it extremely hard to break down after physical checks have been burned. Also, the burn comes in handy when facing suicide leads, smeargle, Scolipede as it can break sashes. Brave Bird is another mandatory STAB move that does nasty damage when combined with choice band. Most people usually aren't expecting max speed so I usually get the 2HKO on Pdon and the OHKO on primal kyogre on the times I choose to stay in. Earthquake rounds off the coverage by hitting Arceus-Rock switch in for super effective damage and forcing it to recover. Sleep talk allows it to absorb dark void from Darkrai and other mons. I chose max speed because it surprises other people who think it's the bulky CB set. 248 in attack and 8 EV's in HP so it can switch in twice into stealth rock is necessary. Also provides another burn immunity

klefki.jpg

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Play Rough

The glue to this team. It acts as an emergency stopper to set up pokemon such as Xerneas, DD/SD rayquaza, DD Mega Salamence, etc. It also checks Lati@s, Yveltal (non heat wave) and Xerneas. Thunder wave allows me to cripple fast mons such as mega gengar, arceus, genesect, etc so others can revenge kill them later. Also parahax comes clutch for me at times as well. Toxic is for incoming Pdon switchins and anything that resists thunder wave. Spikes is to set up pressure for the opponent and force them to defog or else they'll take up to 25% damage from 3 layers. Play rough is the last move so i can deal damage if taunted and is also STAB so it does more than Foul play. 252 EV's in Sdef and HP to make it the ideal xerneas check and help take attacks from strong special attacks. Also provides another toxic immunity.

Well that's my team! It's not the best but I think you guys can help improve it. So let me know how it is and what I can change to make it better.

Solid team bro, only thing i can see is like, charti yvvy over dread pl8, and optimizing the ho-oh spread, but other than that, not much too say, oh maybe spdef klefki

Hi

I think you should use Hex instead of Shadow Ball on GGar. It might be much powerful most of the time thanks to all of your status spreaders (Klefki, PDon, ArcWater).
Hope I helped ;)

PS: Nice team

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty solid Ho-Oh balance that has a strong resemblance to a couple known builds. With that said I think your Yveltal is sort of awkward for this team, although Yveltal is kind of a necessary evil because of SD Arc. In terms of structure, Mega Gengar is what is preventing this team from defaulting to a certain sample team, so I won't be suggesting you change that.

Your current Yveltal set is torn apart by Stone Edge EKiller, so you're somewhat forced to run a Charti Berry (also provides a secondary check for SD Arc Ground). The only Yveltal set that I really think benefits from a Dread Plate is an offensive one (without a Dread Plate Foul Play still deals the damage you need it to). Between Yveltal and Mega Gengar, EKiller is covered well enough, although you can consider running Protect on Mega Gengar as insurance while Focus Blast is also an option. Oblivion Wing is not a great choice on defensive Yveltal because it just doesn't hit very hard and thus doesn't recover very much; you're generally much better off by running Roost. If you want a good way to deal with incoming Xern and other fairies you can try running U-turn so you can pivot into Mega Gengar. Also consider running more Speed on Arceus-Water.

Summary:
- Run a Charti Berry on Yveltal
- Consider running Protect and / or Focus Blast over Taunt and Shadow Ball on Mega Gengar
- Run Roost over Oblivion Wing on Yveltal
- Consider U-tun over Sucker Punch or Taunt on Yveltal
- Consider running more Speed on Arceus-Water

Overall this is a pretty chiseled down build so there wasn't much to say, good luck.

Hi

I think you should use Hex instead of Shadow Ball on GGar. It might be much powerful most of the time thanks to all of your status spreaders (Klefki, PDon, ArcWater).
Hope I helped ;)

PS: Nice team
Hi, thanks for the rate! I changed shadow ball to hex on gengar and it's kind of a 50-50 right now, as sometimes poke's aren't statused. I'll test it out more and decide whether I want to keep it or still use shadow ball.

This is a pretty solid Ho-Oh balance that has a strong resemblance to a couple known builds. With that said I think your Yveltal is sort of awkward for this team, although Yveltal is kind of a necessary evil because of SD Arc. In terms of structure, Mega Gengar is what is preventing this team from defaulting to a certain sample team, so I won't be suggesting you change that.

Your current Yveltal set is torn apart by Stone Edge EKiller, so you're somewhat forced to run a Charti Berry (also provides a secondary check for SD Arc Ground). The only Yveltal set that I really think benefits from a Dread Plate is an offensive one (without a Dread Plate Foul Play still deals the damage you need it to). Between Yveltal and Mega Gengar, EKiller is covered well enough, although you can consider running Protect on Mega Gengar as insurance while Focus Blast is also an option. Oblivion Wing is not a great choice on defensive Yveltal because it just doesn't hit very hard and thus doesn't recover very much; you're generally much better off by running Roost. If you want a good way to deal with incoming Xern and other fairies you can try running U-turn so you can pivot into Mega Gengar. Also consider running more Speed on Arceus-Water.

Summary:
- Run a Charti Berry on Yveltal
- Consider running Protect and / or Focus Blast over Taunt and Shadow Ball on Mega Gengar
- Run Roost over Oblivion Wing on Yveltal
- Consider U-tun over Sucker Punch or Taunt on Yveltal
- Consider running more Speed on Arceus-Water

Overall this is a pretty chiseled down build so there wasn't much to say, good luck.
Hello, thanks for the rate! When I originally made this team, my original besides Oblivion Wing was roost on Yveltal but I never got the chance to use it during the game, and it was for the most part a wasted move slot. I'll try changing it to u-turn to see how that pans out. I also had protect on mgar but I realized i needed focus blast to watch out for incoming tyranitars, blobs and ferrothorns, and avoid getting pursuit trapped by certain mons. What speed tier do you suggest I run on Arceus Water?

Also, regarding charti berry yveltal,
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Yveltal: 400-473 (87.9 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

while
+2 8 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 331-391 (86.6 - 102.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO.
This is without dread plate. I'm worried since it doesn't OHKO for sure, Ekiller can just use a combo of stone edge + espeed or 2espeed's and proceed to severely damage my team whereas with dread plate I get the OHKO for sure.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What speed tier do you suggest I run on Arceus Water?
- 56 beats Adamant Rayquaza and Modest Kyurem-W
-124 beats max 90s
- 64+ beats max 95s, standard Mega Mence, and 252 110s

This is without dread plate. I'm worried since it doesn't OHKO for sure
+2 0 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 364-430 (95.2 - 112.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 0 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Foul Play vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 331-391 (86.6 - 102.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Adamant and Jolly SR cases. Without Charti you just auto lose to SE EKiller so statistically it's much better to have a Charti Berry than a Dread Plate.

Mono Ice Beam Attacking WaterCeus is outclassed by DragoCeus. Run this set over your WaterCeus. Judgment means you beat M Mence all the time, have a relatively strong STAB to actually damage the opp, and you break Ho-oh's sub. 56 speed ev's to mean you don't just get 2hkoed by LO Ada Ray's Dragon Ascent on the switch in.

Arceus-Dragon @ Draco Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Defog
- Judgment
- Recover

Minority

Numquam Vincar
ice beam does like, 6 to mega diancie
No it 3HKOs.

This team doesn't need to be opening itself up more against Mega Diancie. Getting Defog off Arceus-Water to something else so it can run Judgment and Ice Beam is very desirable, but isn't feasible without extensive restructure. I already optimized this team as much as I could without changing much; if you think Ho-Oh is an issue it makes more sense to run rock coverage on P Don rather than replacing Arceus-Water with Arceus-Dragon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)