UU Simple Questions Thread

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is having dual Healing Wish users bad in a HO team ?
Yes, it is considering you've got two Pokemon willing to suicide to leave you down to 4v6 and you'll usually have a set win condition for the match which shouldn't need more than 2 chances to sweep the opponent anyhow. But as LilOu said, if it works out for you then great and there isn't really any rule saying otherwise.

Yes, it is considering you've got two Pokemon willing to suicide to leave you down to 4v6 and you'll usually have a set win condition for the match which shouldn't need more than 2 chances to sweep the opponent anyhow. But as LilOu said, if it works out for you then great and there isn't really any rule saying otherwise.
If you put it like that than haha yeah it sounds redundant seeing how it's very unlikely I ever will need to use healing wish twice.

Sun-boosted attackers and Chlorophyll sweepers. Anything that can take a hit from a Chlorophyll sweeper crumbles in front of stuff like Band Entei and Nasty Plot Mega Houndoom.

Umbreon has never been "centralizing," but it's fallen in popularity a bit. It may be on the rise since Zapdos' drop, though.

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Well i have two questions:

What separates a good team from a great team?
What separates a good player from a great player?
(other than hax)

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Well i have two questions:

What separates a good team from a great team?
What separates a good player from a great player?
(other than hax)
This questions are kinda weird to answer, since you are asking "What's the difference between a 8/10 team from a 10/10 team". Now, if you were to ask "What's the difference between a bad and a good team", a good team is one that was made taken into consideration metagame trends. That is, having ways to deal with the top mons in usage stats and Viability Rankings + having ways to deal with different playstyles: not only do good vs. offense but have mons that are capable to pressure defensive teams to a breaking point. CTC explains this better than me, though, so catch this quote that has helped me a lot with my teambuilding since then. (quote is from XYOU, iirc)

CTC said:
I'll give newer builders some advice. Here are some procedures you can take when building. Look at, say, 10-30 top-tier Pokemon. Does any one of them straight up sweep you? Do you have two checks or counters to at least the top 10 Pokemon? Do you have a win condition should the game drag out, and do you have a secondary damage output should the first one be hard countered? Do you have the offensive synergy to wallbreak? On the reverse, does your stall team lose to Stealth Rock plus aggressive double switches? Does your Defog user synergize with your Stealth Rock weak Pokemon (Zapdos as Defog user plus Stealth Rock weak Pokemon Kyurem-B is very weak to Terrakion, for example)? If you're testing a gimmick or some innovation, does it affect mons that are relevant enough in OU play? Does your innovation have practicality should you not run into the mon you're trying to surprise (Facade on Breloom for Venusaur is still a 140 BP move to hit Latios and Latias, for example)?

And always remember to have a revenge killer or a few priority attacks or a check to setup mons (Thundurus is usually the no-brainer). Just don't straight up lose to *insert Mega Evolution after a Dragon Dance* like half the ladder. And last but not least have fun building. No one enjoys puttin' together some bread and butter standard team, because it's lame and I already did that first. That will be all, enjoy building and I will be uploading most of my teams soon to the Rate my Team section on Smogon.
Link to the full interview here.

Regarding the good/meh player question, a good player is one that is capable of analyzing team matchup and identify both his and his opponent's win conditions. This will lead to the next step, which is creating a gameplan. Once the strengths and weaknesses of both teams have been identified, the good player will start thinking ahead and taking decisions accordingly to the it, so that it can be finally achieved at the endgame. Don't just make the loudest choice of each turn, but really think of what outcome will that choice bring with it, which bring us to Risk vs. Reward. One of the things that bad players do is not measure the consequences of their plays, thus sacrificing win conditions / key mons to stupid choices. A good player knows when to take the risky play and when to go for the safe one. Knows when to sack a mon and when to not. Knows what to sack. These things may sounds really dumb, but little things make the difference at the end.

Also, "How to battle and win" is a guide made by a good friend of mine in the BW era, which may help you out, as it touches every aspect a great player takes into account. I know it says that is for newer players, but you would be surprised how many "old" players that have been around for a long time lack the basic knowledge of these concepts, and it is never bad to refresh some stuff that we may have forgotten.

Hope this helped and sorry for the not so simple answer lol.

Last edited:
Yes, if they fall below the 1.7% quickdrop.

Looking at the showdown list thing, it seems that we are getting Alakazam, Altaria, Regular Charizard, Diancie, Gardevoir, Lopunny, Manectric, Medicham, Metagross, Pinsir, Sableye, and Venusaur.

Zam, Manectric, Metagross, and Sableye all sound cool but overall I can't really see any of the others staying UU for very long. Diancie might be cool seeing as TR is more viable here than OU, maybe Venu would fall RU, could see it being used a bit
Also hoping for Sylveon and Conk :3

I noticed that M-Aboma is A rank in the viability rankings right now, but just dropped to RU. Is there a reason it's not getting much usage right now?

I noticed that M-Aboma is A rank in the viability rankings right now, but just dropped to RU. Is there a reason it's not getting much usage right now?
Two reasons, actually.
1. It's really slow and has a crippling 4x weakness to Fire, which is a common offensive type, and
2. The UU low ladder are idiots. This is also the reason why Milotic and Vaporeon are still UU even though Alomomola exists.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the whole separate tiering of megas thing means that we're about to get a ton of new toys from OU during the quick drops right?
2. The UU low ladder are idiots. This is also the reason why Milotic and Vaporeon are still UU even though Alomomola exists.
yet alomomola is ru, the same tier that still has ambipom and typhlosion, rofl

LilOu

PO poopyhead
the whole separate tiering of megas thing means that we're about to get a ton of new toys from OU during the quick drops right?
Yeah. Loppuny, Venu, Altaria, Charizard, Metagross, Gardevoir, Sableye, etc. I think Alakaziteless Alakazam is at 2.5%, so not coming down.

Guys, the UU page needs to have Pidgeotite added to its listing of banned items. It says in the Strategy Dex that Mega Pidgeot is BL, so yeah.

Sorry if it's the wrong thread for that, but it's the quickest one I could think of :P

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys, the UU page needs to have Pidgeotite added to its listing of banned items. It says in the Strategy Dex that Mega Pidgeot is BL, so yeah.

Sorry if it's the wrong thread for that, but it's the quickest one I could think of :P
what UU page are you referring to?

Is the Crawdaunt retest because of its performance in the Borderline Tournament or something, or are we starting retests for a lot of BL things??

So yes and no. The tier leaders are paying attention to the BL tournament and that's probably where the impetus for the Crawdaunt retest comes from, but they are not actively looking for retest suspects.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)