np: ORAS UU Stage 5 - Center of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
AV Goodra is one of Goodra's worst sets. You're still physically vulnerable, but you don't hit very hard and you don't have Lefties recovery to offset the damage you take. We already have lots of Pokemon that effectively wall Zapdos that are far more utilitarian.
Question on that topic. I'm coming from OU, where AV is Goodra's most effective set. What's different here?

You can't hit as hard as other dragons, you have no recovery options, and tbh, it's outclassed in a bulky special dragon role by Dragalge who hits like a truck with Adaptability and doesn't struggle with fairies due to Poison Stab.

He kinda explains what's wrong with that in his post and idk why your using av goodra over dragalge in ou but w/e. Anyways, av goodra has tons of special bulk yes, but still gets shit on hard by physical attacks, being slow doesn't help it's case either. Av goodra also lacks tons of power it could have with a damage boosting itemy such as choice specs. Av goodra is kinda just an overhyped thing of early x/y. Restating post #25 essentially.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You can all say that goodra is bad but that doesn't stop it from being one of the most annoying things to face. It has good matchup vs pretty much everything aside from teams with like Umbreon or Blissey. It also comes in on nearly every special attacker in the tier which is a tall order considering we have stuff like Chandelure and Mega Blastoise. Hell, I played a game about a week ago where Goodra came in on my SPECS KYUREM and lived two ice beams and killed me with Draco Meteor.

You can all say that goodra is bad but that doesn't stop it from being one of the most annoying things to face. It has good matchup vs pretty much everything aside from teams with like Umbreon or Blissey. It also comes in on nearly every special attacker in the tier which is a tall order considering we have stuff like Chandelure and Mega Blastoise. Hell, I played a game about a week ago where Goodra came in on my SPECS KYUREM and lived two ice beams and killed me with Draco Meteor.
I can agree that goodra is severely hard to take down. The fact that people consider it to be inferior to the other dragon types helps it in a sense that people don't prepare for it as much. Once a player brings goodra in on something it can take a hit from, I've always found myself scared not so much by its attack stats. but from its coverage. With access to sludge wave, fire blast, earthquake, power whip, ice bean, draco/outrage and muddy water, most likely it can hit you super effectively. When I have my mega blastoise in on goodra, I switch out not because I can't beat it (bad example cause goodra comes out on top) but because I need blastoise to check entei or something else on the opponents team. My point is that goodra may not have the best offensive stats, but the bulk+coverage does make it more trouble to face than most people believe.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I would like to bring up the topic of Mega Abomasnow, who, in my opinion, has benefitted greatly from the Zapdos drop. Thanks to Zapdos + Water type or even Mamoswine cores running around wild, Mega Abomasnow can really put on the hurt, as it is the only thing that destroys both of those cores thanks to it's STABS. Thanks to Zapdos dropping, the usage of Steel and Fighting types have dropped a bit,and the usage of Dragon types have sort of rised, and that helps Mega Abomasnow a lot. He was already pretty anti-meta before, and now he's even more anti-meta. Overall, I'm glad that Mega Abomasnow gets a good chance to be in the spotlight, although his stack of weaknesses and speed still hurt him.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 28 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog/Substitute

Mixed Defensive. Only use Sub if you have hazard control. Good set, try it.

Alternative, bulkier EV spread: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD

Takes on common special attackers, like non-NP LO Azelf, and other things. Eats priority well. Eats banded/LO fighting moves with relative ease. Survives Dracos/Outrages. D-Pulse from Mega Sceptile does like 38%~ on average. You get the point.

Things you need to look out for: Calm Mind Sweepers, or Sweepers (Mence) in general; pair this up with stuff like Suicune, Swampert, Florges. Examples of offensive partners include Scarf Hydreigon/Mienshao and Guts Heracross or even Toxicroak.

In general, this set is easily mouldable on bulky offense, balance, and semi-stall cores. Just don't get set up on stupidly, and be sure to pair up with things that can take on setup sweepers. Whimsicott is another example. Umbreon, Florges, Vaporeon all make good wish partners, especially since they're clerics and provide a staple defensive core alongside this Zapdos for offensive mons to work around.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Lets look at what's going to drop to UU:
Charizard
Diancie
Gardevoir
Manectric
Metagross
Sableye
Venusaur

I bolded the ones that I think will be relevant, so there is probably going to be more stuff to look forward to other than Sableye coming back

Last edited:
I'd like to ask for some opinions about some of the less prominent drops, specifically these sets:

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 152 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- HP Fire / Giga Drain / Synthesis

Maximum attack power with enough speed investment to outspeed Mega Aerodactyl under sun, with the rest to bulk. Really not sure about that last move slot; HP Fire beats Doublade, Mega Aggron, Mega Beedrill, and Forretress. It also lets you beat Crobat after rocks. However, running Giga Drain or Synthesis gives this mon some much-appreciated recovery at the cost of struggling with those mons. Sun is definitely a niche team archetype, but Venusaur's pending arrival makes me want to give it a try.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock/Psychic
- Energy Ball / Focus Blast
- Trick

Gardevoir - at least on paper - looks like a decent scarfer. It has a unique STAB combo that pressures poison/dark cores. It has lots of coverage options, but Energy Ball is the most promising move since it beats both Feraligatr and Mega Swampert after Gardevoir has traced their respective abilities. Focus Blast is another promising coverage choice to beat Mega Aggron. However, that speed is a little low and prevents it from revenging Mega Beedrill/Sceptile/Aerodactyl which it could otherwise scare out if it were only slightly faster. It also lacks a high BP move, so although it's got 100% accuracy and good SpA it falls short of key OHKO's. Not sure of how good it is, but it looks interesting since our options for fast fairy STAB's are pretty limited currently.

Anyone have thoughts on these two?

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Time to talk about these guys (The relevant ones)

Metagross: While Gross was eh in XY, I think he'll definetely be good this time around. He's a great check to Fairies and Psychics, and with 130 attack has a powerful offensive presence. It's problems are still here though, as his typing is both a gift and a curse, but the curse is most apparent, as types like Fire, Ground, and Dark are still very common. Overall, I think Metagross will be a neat addition to the tier, as it can wall a lot of things while still hitting hard, but it still has some faults.

Potential Sets:

Metagross @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake / Ice Punch

Agility Gross could be a great sweeper late-gamer, with Gross' good coverage and set-up abilities. With Adamant, +2 speed lets it's speed be 478, basically outspeeding every non-Scarfed mon in the metagame, also allowing it to have maximum attacking power. Definetely will be a great sweeper.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch / Grass Knot

This lets it wall the stuff it walls a bit easier, along with living basically any neutral special attack. AV also lets it have maximum coverage, which is great as well. EV spread could definetely be a bit tweaked to be more speedy though. Overall, AV Metagross can be a great offensive special sponge.

(grass knot 2HKOs Mega Swamp even with Adamant, btw)

Gardevoir: Gard seems pretty cool, Scarf mentioned above might be a cool late-game cleaner, I can also see stuff like Life Orb or even Offensive Calm Mind working. It still has pitiful physical defense and average speed, but it's definetely cool to have another Fairy. Also, Trace can lead to some cool stuff, like Flash Fire or Dry Skin.

Potential Sets:

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball / Shadow Ball / Calm Mind

This set hits very hard, thanks to Life Orb and Gardevoir's 125 special attack and excellent coverage. While it suffers a bit from Gardevoir's 80 speed, I think this set can serve as a really nice wallbreaker.

Scarf is said above.

Diancie: Okay, Diancie isn't the greatest mon ever, but I feel like it could a cool addition, especially with stuff like Fire types and Flying types on the rise, so it's Rock/Fairy typing can let it wall a lot of things. It isn't that passive either, with 100 attack and 100 special attack stats along with powerful Base Power STABs let it hit hard. it's typing, like Metagross, is a gift and a curse as well, and it's 50 HP hurts it's amazing defenses. But overall, Diancie could be a nice addition with it's typing and moves.

Potential sets:

Diancie @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 HP
IVs: 0 Speed
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

This is OTR Diancie. It could probably work pretty nicely on Trick Room teams, or even on it's own, with Diancie's nice mixed attacking stats. It's STABs hit really hard with Life Orb, and it's slow enough to outspeed a lot of mons under TR. Earth Power is for Steels, giving Diancie nearly perfect coverage.

SR Diancie can also work but I haven't gotten a good enough EV spread for it yet.

Mini talk-abouts:

Venusaur: Seems like the child of Amoonguss and Roserade, having balanced defensive stats as well as nice special attack. Might receive some competition, though.

Manectric: Other than Overheat and LightningRod, outclassed by Heliolisk, Galvantula, and Zapdos.

Sableye: ewww Prankster

Charizard: Useless pretty much, I can see low ladder ABUUSING this thing though. C'mon low ladder guys, RU and NU want it too!

Overall, the UU meta is gonna change a lot with the addition of these new base forms, and I like it! I can't wait to try out stuff like Diancie and Metagross! Go UU! =)

Also #PrayForRU it has like no counter to normal Sharpedo dudes.

Last edited:
I see potential for Charizard in UU. It's pretty versatile and has some things over the other Fire types like reliable recovery (offset by Stealth Rock to an extent, but we have pretty good hazard control options in this tier), Dragon Dance, Swords Dance, Tailwind and Solar Power. I made some sets that I think could be viable here:
Charizard @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast

This is probably the most "standard" Zard set. It competes with Moltres, but it does have higher speed, Focus Blast and Blaze to stand out. HP Grass also seems like a good option on this set for the Water/Grounds and Rhyperior. Not much else to explain here.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Tailwind
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast

This set is like the 1st one, but Tailwind allows it to sweep against offense, give some temporary support to its team, and run a Modest Nature. Longevity is mediocre without Roost, but this is a set that I can see giving it a defined niche.

Charizard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake / Flare Blitz

While other Dragon Dance users like Salamence and Haxorus compete with it, Zard offers the ability to set up on some Fairy types and Fire types and strong Flying STAB. Suicune and Mega Aero will probably give this set the most trouble since even a +1 Acrobatics will fail to 2HKO Cune and Aero resists both the STAB combo and AcroQuake. The following set has better potential to break bulky Waters:

Charizard
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Tailwind
- Acrobatics

This functions much like Zard X's SD set in OU. Sets up against defensive teams and has Tailwind to outspeed offensive Pokemon. +2 Acrobatics will 2HKO Suicune and other non-Emp bulky Waters.

Charizard @ Leftovers
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam

This set could be good for special wallbreaking and fits on Balance best. Leftovers seems best on this set over Heat Rock or Charcoal so that it doesn't die too early. With Heat Rock, Zard might be an okay sun setter for dedicated Sun teams, but I highly doubt in on paper.

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (120 Atk / 136 SpA / 252 Spe when using Flare Blitz)
Timid / Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk (31 if running Flare Blitz of course)
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower / Flare Blitz
- Air Slash / Dragon Pulse / Earthquake

This set could be a good late game cleaner on Sun teams. Flare Blitz could be used to dick on Blissey and the last slot is used to prevent Flash Fire users from dicking on you. 120 Atk EVs give a more than 50% chance of 2HKOing Blissey in the Sun with Flare Blitz and without Stealth Rock. Chandelure, Darmanitan and Infernape are probably more consistent as Scarfed Fire types, but Solar Power Fire Blast seems like a pretty good niche.

All six of those sets may or may not be viable. We'll see later on I guess. Just don't get carried away with Zard on the ladder guys lol. RU wants it too.

Goodra seems like it could be better in the new meta since it's one of the best checks to a Venu + Zard/other Fire type Sun cores.

In a world where the only thing that pulled Charizard out of NU was two INCREDIBLY powerful Mega Evolutions, why are we talking about base Charizard? I'm sorry to be rude, but like BrandonBeast said, you're not going to see it outside of low ladder.

Manectric is likely falling back to RU. Lightningrod is nice and Overheat/Flamethrower coverage is cool, but Zapdos' bulk and utility and Heliolisk's higher SpA and Speed as well as superiority immunity (and by that I mean a Water immunity is way better than Electric in UU, and in general) means Manectric is pretty outclassed.

It'll be cool to have Metagross back. The Assault Vest is REALLY fucking obnoxious to break, and Agiligross is a decent lategame cleaner. It has great Attack, but poor moves with which to abuse it, but a Choice Band set might be viable. Clear Body will help keep it from being totally neutered by Arcanine.

As far as I can remember, Diancie didn't make a huge impact by itself in UU. Its bulk is mostly neutered by its bad HP, and I think it was dealing with Metagross at the time, too, who resists both your STABs, doesn't care about Earth Power that much off base 100 SpA, and OHKOs Diancie by looking at it funny. It will be a decent Trick Roomer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell out of UU.

I don't actually really know what Venusaur does. I never played HGSS UU, and while I'm familiar with Chlorosaur and a little bit of Mega Venusaur, I don't know what he does outside of that. He's sorta bulky? And he can sleep shit and absorb Toxic Spikes? I know he was once the "King of DPPt UU," but that was when Heracross was BL.

Don't fucking talk to me about Sableye.

I've got a friend that loves Scarf Gardevoir for Trace shenanigans (as Megazam has proven time and again, Tracing shit like Sheer Force will make children weep), but it's a little slow without that (not that Mega Beedrill gives a shit either way) and very physically frail. No idea what sort of impact it will make.

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Charizard
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Acrobatics

While other Dragon Dance users like Salamence and Haxorus compete with it, Zard offers the ability to set up on some Fairy types and Fire types and strong Flying STAB. Suicune and Mega Aero will probably give this set the most trouble since even a +1 Acrobatics will fail to 2HKO Cune and Aero resists both the STAB combo and AcroQuake. The following set has better potential to break bulky Waters:

Charizard
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost / Tailwind
- Acrobatics

This functions much like Zard X's SD set in OU. Sets up against defensive teams and has Tailwind to outspeed offensive Pokemon. +2 Acrobatics will 2HKO Suicune and other non-Emp bulky Waters.
I find two of the Charizard sets you mentioned inferior to Fletchinder for Charizard's lack of access to Gale Wings, unfortunately. While Charizard does have coverage moves to boot, Flying attacks in themselves deal formidable damage against most Pokemon in the tier already, anyway. However, this set could dent even those who resist attacks such as the aforementioned Mega Aerodactyl:

Charizard @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Acrobatics

It requires utmost support in clearing Stealth Rock away. Charizard won't set up Belly Drum if it switches into Stealth Rock.

In a world where the only thing that pulled Charizard out of NU was two INCREDIBLY powerful Mega Evolutions, why are we talking about base Charizard? I'm sorry to be rude, but like BrandonBeast said, you're not going to see it outside of low ladder.

Manectric is likely falling back to RU. Lightningrod is nice and Overheat/Flamethrower coverage is cool, but Zapdos' bulk and utility and Heliolisk's higher SpA and Speed as well as superiority immunity (and by that I mean a Water immunity is way better than Electric in UU, and in general) means Manectric is pretty outclassed.

It'll be cool to have Metagross back. The Assault Vest is REALLY fucking obnoxious to break, and Agiligross is a decent lategame cleaner. It has great Attack, but poor moves with which to abuse it, but a Choice Band set might be viable. Clear Body will help keep it from being totally neutered by Arcanine.

As far as I can remember, Diancie didn't make a huge impact by itself in UU. Its bulk is mostly neutered by its bad HP, and I think it was dealing with Metagross at the time, too, who resists both your STABs, doesn't care about Earth Power that much off base 100 SpA, and OHKOs Diancie by looking at it funny. It will be a decent Trick Roomer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell out of UU.

I don't actually really know what Venusaur does. I never played HGSS UU, and while I'm familiar with Chlorosaur and a little bit of Mega Venusaur, I don't know what he does outside of that. He's sorta bulky? And he can sleep shit and absorb Toxic Spikes? I know he was once the "King of DPPt UU," but that was when Heracross was BL.

Don't fucking talk to me about Sableye.

I've got a friend that loves Scarf Gardevoir for Trace shenanigans (as Megazam has proven time and again, Tracing shit like Sheer Force will make children weep), but it's a little slow without that (not that Mega Beedrill gives a shit either way) and very physically frail. No idea what sort of impact it will make.
The Fairy type and Defog are also two huge things that Gen VI brought for Charizard. Fairy type giving Charizard another resistance could really help with his defensive synergy and also allows it to set up on metagame threats like Florges, Aromatisse and potentially Choice-locked Gardevoir as well. Defog is huge since UU, RU and NU's spinners were kind of shitty last gen + we have Donphan, Tentacruel and Mega Blastoise now as spinners that are mostly reliable. I don't think that Charizard's weaknesses will be as pronounced as they were in Gen IV and V because of these changes. Of course, this is theorymon so we can't be sure until it's actually in the tier.

Also don't forget that Charizard actually had an analysis for UU in BW: http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/charizard/uu/. Unranked on the VR though, but that could possibly change for this gen ;)

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
venusaur won't be making much of an impact tbh. offensively it's outclassed by roserade, so unless you've been craving a physically defensive roserade without spikes for a while, there's not much use for venu.

the king of DPP UU was only crowned after rose got banned, and it was dethroned for a while during the heracross meta. both things are around at the moment and they're both picking up usage.

it'll be really nice in RU though

Charizard is outclassed by Typhlosion mostly, which is outclassed by any other UU and RU fire mons.

Btw I noticed all drops get rekt by Mamoswine. M-Aero will get 3 more checks though, which is nice

How come drought and drizzle are banned as opposed to politoed and ninetails, it seems a bit against smogons policy to ban a ability to nerf a certain pokemon. (for example you banned victini instead of V-create) I also feel that drought vulpix wouldn't be op because vulpix is even more ass than ninetails and then team would have to bend over backwards to support it

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Super excited about these drops. (except sable even though im gunna spam it)

Its gunna be fun testing the pert + froslass + sable core again in the current meta to see if it is still as effective as it was in x/y.

Garde should be a really versatile mon and metagross will be a nice non passive stealth rocker can be a bitch for offense to kill. Maybe even some agility sets will come into play o.O

I honestly don't know what zard is gunna do but I am curious about venu's presence. I'm curious to see how it will stack up vses a roserade and what it provides that rose doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)