-clefable
-manaphy
-togekiss
-opposing mega sableye depending on the set
-mega altaria(heal bell)
-azumarill
-mega diancie
-tornadus
-heatran(both can win or lose depending on the sets)
-specially offensive/mixed hoopa unbound
-mega loppuny
-latios(with a bit of chip damage)
-talonflame
-thundurus
-zard y
-gardevoir
-sd gliscor
-sub mega gyarados
-serperior
-mega venusaur
-keldeo
-excadrill(sets up rocks anyway cause of moldbreaker)

it loses to more mons than this(basically any mon with substitute) and everyone will guaranteed be using at least 3 of these mons on the same team from what i see on the ladder.

i dont use sableye on a full stall team. i use him to check things like:

-ferrothorn
-skarmory
-defensive landorus
-hippowdon
-klefki
-chansey/blissey

mons that commonly sets hazard and spread status so that my charizard can sweep and thats really the extent of the mons that sableye can check on its own, because it doesnt have enough bulk to keep walling things all day.
even the defensive mons above can chip it enough to where your sweeper can come in KO it, maybe unboosted.

this just seems like a kneejerk reaction. there have been a lot of instances on the ladder in my experience where people immediately ragequit when i bring in sableye on their ferrothorn and their rocks/spikes get bounced back.
from what i see, it seems to be proper protocol to lead with things like lando-t and immediately get up rocks and sableye prevents this. if people want to ban sableye, its effect on the hazard game shouldnt be the reason.

Last edited:
I'd look at it another way.

Wallbreaker/Stallbreaker + Healing Wish generally is one of the go-tos for breaking stall in general. Goth existing doesn't really change this, it just skews it more in the favor of this strategy. Goth or no Goth, this is a strong option against stall.

On the other hand, [Thing that can kill Sableye] + Healing Wish is, well, obviously a Sab effect. And that's what he's more referring to I'm guessing.
An example would be if you just banned Goth, it's not really going to change that much that Sab killer + HWish does well against stall. If you banned just Sab, this would open up tremendously, as 1. You're able to use things that could usually break stall, but not Sableye, as a healing wish target and 2. you've opened up avenues to using Pokemon that aren't extremely crippled by Gothitelle existing (currently anything that does this and doesn't lose to other core stall members loses to Sableye) and aren't forced to use HWish at all (but it's still beneficial to run it if you choose to do so).
Well there is HW Choice Scarf Gardevoir who has existed and does a good job, and HW has always been good, but never forced. What are you saying with Gothitelle? It targets any specific target the team struggles against and revenges / watches it struggle regardless.

-zard x
-clefable
-manaphy
-opposing mega sableye depending on the set
-mega altaria(heal bell)
-azumarill
-mega diancie
-tornadus
-heatran(both can win or lose depending on the sets)
-specially offensive/mixed hoopa unbound
-mega loppuny
-latios(with a bit of chip damage)
-talonflame
-thundurus
-zard y
-gardevoir
-sd gliscor
-sub mega gyarados
-serperior
-mega venusaur
-keldeo
-excadrill(sets up rocks anyway cause of moldbreaker)
if having raw answers alone was enough to prevent a ban then rayquaza would be ou. you cant just list checks in a vacuum. pretty much everything you listed gets walled to death by your typical grab bag of stall mons that sableye's always paired with. like without goth the only things on here that really threaten typical abr stall are manaphy, hoopa, and torn-t sorta.

Saying Xatu is just as good as Sableye at shutting down passive mons means nothing, because Xatu's viability is questionable at best. It has shitty bulk, less utility due to its differing movepool (no Knock Off or Will-O, lacks STAB on Foul Play), and more weaknesses due to its typing. Even if Mega Sableye gets booted it's not going to cause problems, as it's way too flawed.
this just seems like a kneejerk reaction. there have been a lot of instances on the ladder in my experience where people immediately ragequit when i bring in sableye on their ferrothorn and their rocks/spikes get bounced back.
from what i see, it seems to be proper protocol to lead with things like lando-t and immediately get up rocks and sableye prevents this. if people want to ban sableye, its effect on the hazard game shouldnt be the reason.
This is basically my argument, i know Xatu is "shit" but the above worded it better than i did essentially. Im not arguing for Xatu being an issue and i wish people would stop taking me out of context. Xatu isnt going to replace Sable but it does cockblock passive mons, just as Sable does so that is not good reasoning to ban Sable imo. Also i fail to see how it means nothing when people are using is as reasoning to ban Sableye when it literally applies to Xatu too lol. I could use Reflect Xatu and shit all over the same stuff Sable does (i.e silly little Taunt+Wisp/Toxic + Recovery pokemon, passive hazard setters, Lando-T and even Tank chomp etc). In a nutshell, if Sable is banned id like it to be for the right reasons and not for reasons like "it makes passive mons useless", its like...and? So do alot of pokemon, Xatu included and im using it as an example to show this. Again i know Xatu is "shit" and its clearly never going to be Sable but as i said it still stops like 99% of the shit people are arguing for banning Sable.

Alright, I've been noticing a ton of people have this fear of spikes running rampant in a metagame that lacks Sableye. I'm going to explain why this fear should not exist, and therefore there are less reasons to want to keep Sableye in the tier.
The suspect ladder is essentially a Spikes stacking HO mess NOW aka what you said, so id say this "fear" is pretty warranted and if OU turns into this i dont think ill be the only one who doesnt see this as a desirable metagame at all. All ill say is "sable has never been in the tier WHILST goth/stag has been banned so we cannot accurately gauge its influence properly".

EDIT:
like without goth the only things on here that really threaten typical abr stall are manaphy, hoopa, and torn-t sorta.
Thats bs.

EDIT 2: Unless you just meant on his list, in which case my apologies for misunderstanding.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: Unless you just meant on his list, in which case my apologies for misunderstanding.
i did just mean his list. i don't really think anyone believes that team will survive without goth. i just think its dumb for someone to roll off a bunch of checks as their argument when sab's not being suspected for being overpowered in itself.

if having raw answers alone was enough to prevent a ban then rayquaza would be ou. you cant just list checks in a vacuum. pretty much everything you listed gets walled to death by your typical grab bag of stall mons that sableye's always paired with. like without goth the only things on here that really threaten typical abr stall are manaphy, hoopa, and torn-t sorta.
your talking about sableye being paired with mons like unaware quagsire, heatran, chansey and skarmory, correct?

ive seen people sweep that stall team with things like sub sd moldbreaker pangoro. the charizard set i use OHKOs-2HKOs everything mon that sableye is typically paired with.

yes, sableye is paired with other stall mons when on a stall team. but you do realize that you have 5 other slots on your team, right? keldeo is one of the most commonly used mons. variants like sub and/or cm destroy teams like that.

ive seen innovation like dragon dance or swords dance zard y w/flare blitz, earthquake & solar beam. takes over half off chansey unboosted, quag is OHKOd by solar beam. heatran dies to eq.

banded azumarill OHKOs-2HKOs everything on that team except skarmory.

sub+nasty plot thundurus destroys.

adamant mega lopunny 2HKOs quagsire, OHKOs chansey and 2HKOs skarm with some chip damage.

sd+taunt gliscor cant be statused and shuts down everything on that team except skarmory.

nothing on that team can wall hoopa.

serperior w/synthesis uses every mon on that team as set up fodder except heatran. hp ground isnt uncommon on serperior though. hp fire can beat skarmory.

not sure if you would use this or not, but dugtrio is used to trap heatran and people do use it outside of beating stall.

and im pretty sure there are much more mons that i havent listed whom dont have to run niche or otherwise unviable sets to beat sableye stall.

there are ways to beat the sableye stall teams that you mention. most of them involve the mons that are already commonly used.

Last edited:
your talking about sableye being paired with mons like unaware quagsire, heatran, chansey and skarmory, correct?

ive seen people sweep that stall team with things like sub sd moldbreaker pangoro. the charizard set i use OHKOs-2HKOs everything mon that sableye is typically paired with.

yes, sableye is paired with other stall mons when on a stall team. but you do realize that you have 5 other slots on your team, right? keldeo is one of the most commonly used mons. variants like sub and/or cm destroy teams like that.

ive seen innovation like dragon dance or swords dance zard y w/flare blitz, earthquake & solar beam. takes over half off chansey unboosted, quag is OHKOd by solar beam. heatran dies to eq.

banded azumarill OHKOs-2HKOs everything on that team except skarmory.

sub+nasty plot thundurus destroys.

adamant mega lopunny 2HKOs quagsire, OHKOs chansey and 2HKOs skarm with some chip damage.

sd+taunt gliscor cant be statused and shuts down everything on that team except skarmory.

nothing on that team can wall hoopa.

serperior w/synthesis uses every mon on that team as set up fodder except heatran. hp ground isnt uncommon on serperior though. hp fire can beat skarmory.

not sure if you would use this or not, but dugtrio is used to trap heatran and people do use it outside of beating stall.

and im pretty sure there are much more mons that i havent listed whom dont have to run niche or otherwise unviable sets to beat sableye stall.
literally the whole reason sableyes being suspected is because of the notion that responses to typical sableye teams are too far outside the rest of the meta, and that in accounting for it you open up holes in your team to other archetypes. Listing things like adamant lopunny, physical zard-y, pangoro, or gen v shit like sub np thundurus (does jack shit to quag btw) actually hurt the case for sableye because if someone had to resort to gimmicky shit for a single archetype (practically a single team at this point) then there'd be no case for keeping sableye in. this applies to more viable sets as well. SD+taunt gliscor needs two attacks to do anything to the team, but no recovery outside of poison heal weakens him a lot against more offensive ones.

amoongus is more notable than heatran and what i had in mind. can easily take on azu or serp. and clear smog+regenerator causes problems for more passive setup sweepers like clef or gliscor

there are ways to beat the sableye stall teams that you mention. most of them involve the mons that are already commonly used.
i agree but you have to actually make a case for that instead of just rolling off a bunch of mons that beat sableye (and certainly not one that includes "use your own sableye"), especially when a lot of them need to seriously gimp themselves against every other playstyle just to fight stall.

finding ways to beat stall is simple. the problem, which a lot of higher level players are having, is that a team needs to be able to contend with anything it can reasonably come across. if the meta is stretched too thin, then a team has to accept that theyre going to lose games at the teambuilding stage rather than in battles themselves; an effect which people can understandably want to minimize. you cant just throw flare blitz on zard-y and act like there are no consequences in doing that.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Here's the team I used early in the month (I've been too busy trying to get legend in Hearthstone to get reqs but I went 10-2 with this against some reasonable teams since it was early in the month):
suspect me plz (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Drain Punch
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

RIPSAB (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

RIPSABL (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Endeavor

RIPSABLE (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

RIPSABLEYE (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

suspect me (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

Do you really want the ladder to be filled with shit like this? Medicham's usage will jump to like 12% and Klefki will shoot up. One of my two losses was even to a hipster running non Mega Sableye. Had it been mega, I would have been BETTER OFF since Kube could have killed it after I got it low. But in this case Kube got burnt and Sable recovered it off.
I'm pretty sure with Sable gone the meta will be this. You say you want Goth ban because it restricts the ability to switch. Well, Sable is a cure to that - by defending the meta from hazards it defends your ability to switch. It seems really contradictory to call both Goth and Sable uncompetitive. Sable clearly isn't broken because it isn't that bulky, it's super slow and passive unless it is calm mind. So is it unhealthy? Well I think it adds diversity by making stall better. People say it takes away diversity with the trash argument "stall can't use other megas" but that's stupid as hell. Does it cause matchup? NO. It simply forces you to run a stallbreaker. Goth forces you to use shed shell. People have already said all the counters Sable has. Why do you want to ban it?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Remember when we thought M-Gard, M-Medi, and M-Hera would wreck shit once Aegislash left? It's the same argument here and it's just as flimsy.

Medi's usage will definitely spike, but after people get over it the meta will likely settle again or move on to whatever flavor of the week is popular. Stop freaking out and making hyperbolic statements about the future of the meta. We won't know for sure what will happen with the state of the meta until Mega Sableye is gone and we let time pass.

Last edited:
Here's the team I used early in the month (I've been too busy trying to get legend in Hearthstone to get reqs but I went 10-2 with this against some reasonable teams since it was early in the month):
suspect me plz (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Drain Punch
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

RIPSAB (Medicham-Mega) @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

RIPSABL (Scolipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Endeavor

RIPSABLE (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

RIPSABLEYE (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

suspect me (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Outrage
- Ice Beam

Do you really want the ladder to be filled with shit like this? Medicham's usage will jump to like 12% and Klefki will shoot up. One of my two losses was even to a hipster running non Mega Sableye. Had it been mega, I would have been BETTER OFF since Kube could have killed it after I got it low. But in this case Kube got burnt and Sable recovered it off.
I'm pretty sure with Sable gone the meta will be this. You say you want Goth ban because it restricts the ability to switch. Well, Sable is a cure to that - by defending the meta from hazards it defends your ability to switch. It seems really contradictory to call both Goth and Sable uncompetitive. Sable clearly isn't broken because it isn't that bulky, it's super slow and passive unless it is calm mind. So is it unhealthy? Well I think it adds diversity by making stall better. People say it takes away diversity with the trash argument "stall can't use other megas" but that's stupid as hell. Does it cause matchup? NO. It simply forces you to run a stallbreaker. Goth forces you to use shed shell. People have already said all the counters Sable has. Why do you want to ban it?
There is a lot wrong with what you posted here. First, you're implying that this garbage HO team will shape the meta in anyway. Also Medicham's usage wont' shoot up some arbitrary number that you randomly chose, which would be 18% on par with heatran and keldeo. Keys is already not a problem even if it does shoot up the ranks, which is just silly, because it already can deal with sableye well. You also comment that sableye can be dealt with by stall breakers. Taunt using stallbreakers don't do well against sableye, and mons like gard don't do too well against offence, so you end up running something to take care of that one mon, if that isn't over centralizing I don't know what is. The arguement with goth that you have to run shed shell. Pokemon like heatran don't have to run chople or yache berry, but some people chose to use that for luring and whatnot, to take care of goth you need to use shed shell or be a master predictor. That's also pretty over centralizing. Do you not believe that over centralizing mons should be banned or something?

literally the whole reason sableyes being suspected is because of the notion that responses to typical sableye teams are too far outside the rest of the meta, and that in accounting for it you open up holes in your team to other archetypes. Listing things like adamant lopunny, physical zard-y, pangoro, or gen v shit like sub np thundurus (does jack shit to quag btw) actually hurt the case for sableye because if someone had to resort to gimmicky shit for a single archetype (practically a single team at this point) then there'd be no case for keeping sableye in. this applies to more viable sets as well. SD+taunt gliscor needs two attacks to do anything to the team, but no recovery outside of poison heal weakens him a lot against more offensive ones.

amoongus is more notable than heatran and what i had in mind. can easily take on azu or serp. and clear smog+regenerator causes problems for more passive setup sweepers like clef or gliscor
regarding the bold, i see this a lot, not just for this specific suspect test, but for all suspect tests in general. what do you think the most desirable meta is?

you are saying that sableye teams force you to run "gimmicks". these would be pokemon or sets that arent commonly used. this would actually work against an argument that involves restriction on the meta.
your argument boils down to "I cant run the standard Lando-T, Latios, Zard-X, Ferrothorn, Clefable, etc."

if sableye or more specifically the teams that its used with force you to use other mons(they arent trash if they do what they are intended to do), that would mean that its presence is diversifying the meta, not restricting it since with the meta evolving, you would have to use different types of pokemon and different types of sets.

you are saying that sableye in itself isnt overpowered, but the teams that it is used in make it broken. if people are saying things like sableye+Stag is overpowered, then we should be testing a meta with no Stag, not one with Stag and no sableye.

if sableye is only overpowered because of Stag, then that would mean that the only grounds for it being suspected would be its hazard control. banning it because of that is showing bias to one particular playstyle.
the basis of this suspect test within itself is ridiculously shoddy.

i agree but you have to actually make a case for that instead of just rolling off a bunch of mons that beat sableye (and certainly not one that includes "use your own sableye"), especially when a lot of them need to seriously gimp themselves against every other playstyle just to fight stall.

finding ways to beat stall is simple. the problem, which a lot of higher level players are having, is that a team needs to be able to contend with anything it can reasonably come across. if the meta is stretched too thin, then a team has to accept that theyre going to lose games at the teambuilding stage rather than in battles themselves; an effect which people can understandably want to minimize. you cant just throw flare blitz on zard-y and act like there are no consequences in doing that.
supposed "Sableye teams" forcing people to run mons that otherwise arent normally run would be a positive since the meta would be forced to show more diversity.

you think that only certain players would have to switch up their teams to adapt to the evolving metagame? everyone would have to do this.

for example, physically based zard y, it 2HKOs chansey under the sun with flare blitz, a big improvement from a 4-5HKO isnt it? earthquake OHKOs heatran, another one of zard ys checks.

the sun that zard y gives itself boosts its flare blitz to the same strength as zard Xs and it still has a base 165 special attack to OHKO quagsire, OHKO rhyperior, 2HKO alomomola, OHKO gastrodon and 2HKO slowbro with solarbeam.
do people use it? no.
is it a "gimmick"? no its not. the set has its purpose and its perfectly usable.

this is just one example. having to use things out of the norm doesnt make something a "gimmick".

Last edited:
This is basically my argument, i know Xatu is "shit" but the above worded it better than i did essentially. Im not arguing for Xatu being an issue and i wish people would stop taking me out of context. Xatu isnt going to replace Sable but it does cockblock passive mons, just as Sable does so that is not good reasoning to ban Sable imo.
I believe the main problem people have with your argument is that, although Xatu may "cockblock" certain passive mons, it's flat-out not as usable as M-Sableye is. This plays into the argument of not thinking about matchups in a vacuum, as, yes, it can block those pokemon, but what will happen after? Can it stand up on its own against other types of pokemon with your set? I'm not entirely confident that a Roost/Reflect/(I assume toxic or wisp to not make yourself setup bait)/X set will do the work that M-Sableye can, especially since it can more permanently increase its defenses (psuedo in the form of its wisp set, actual in its CM set).
If I'm not articulating it well, the main point I'm trying to get across is that it seems when people mention the "cockblocking" , it appears they're mentioning it as an added bonus to M-Sableye's already impressive talents, not that it's the only thing that defines it.

Again your naming sets that have a reason they are used in the meta. These 'mons aren't for even for Sableye! Lopunny doesn't even have to be adamant to beat Sableye (either), and if your that worried run a status asorber or cleric.

Physical Y-zard is non existent but a mixed set runs flare blitz to 2HKO Chansey and Fire Blast nukes Sable anyhow.
20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 271-321 (42.2 - 50%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
56 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 282-333 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
232 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 276-325 (90.7 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And NP Thundy doesn't even sub anymore and just breaks everything but Chansey (which mixed sets do) and Unaware-Clefable,

Physical Y-zard is non existent but a mixed set runs flare blitz to 2HKO Chansey and Fire Blast nukes Sable anyhow.
20 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 271-321 (42.2 - 50%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
56 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 282-333 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
232 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 276-325 (90.7 - 106.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

And NP Thundy doesn't even sub anymore and just breaks everything but Chansey (which mixed sets do) and Unaware-Clefable,
I'm not sure what you're arguing here--you're pretty much playing into his argument since you're weakening your Charzard in the process of dealing with other pokemon (it seems like your set either gets rid of a valuable coverage move or roost, both vital in keeping Zard-Y alive).
stopped reading right here lol

I just wanna say a few things: I think Sableye is a major s-rank in the tier and its not overcentralizing, but gothitelle is overcentralizing and does not let you use a lot of pokemon unless they carry shed shell, mail, or a mega stone, and because of this, Sableye gothitelle stall is very annoying for many different playstyles, including balance and offense, so I am glad to see it go.

I'm not sure
stopped reading right here lol

since that was kind of a shitpost ill try to be more clear and ill even use capitals this time. i also wanna make it clear that i dont really give a shit if sableye gets banned or not, and that while this post is generally going to be from the "ban sableye" side of things, i'm just trying to give some ground for people to tackle. dont try and take my head off over this. edit: wow this got long why am i hung up on this cartoon videogame

~~~

Something I'm seeing a lot in the "keep sableye crowd" (and its definitely not everyone but these guys are hurting your case) is a basic misunderstanding as to the implications of being suspected for overcentralization.

What's clear I suppose, is that overcentralization in Sableye's case, means that it has a strong impact on overall teambuilding. Sableye is incredibly good at preventing hazards, is immune to passive stallbreakers that rely on taunt or status, and has a good matchup against most mons that would utilize these tactics, which allows him to provide these abilities to the rest of his team quite effectively. Because of this, a stall player only truly has to be concerned with huge damage (e.g. hoopa) or setup sweepers that can muscle through unaware mons and anything that may reset their stats like amoongus (rain dance manaphy fits here). Obviously, as people are aware, gothitelle is typically used to cover this weakness, as teams very often only carry one of these and goth provides very reliable removal.

This is further exasperated by the overall reliability in what these mons do. Someone said earlier that offense was the most mathup-based archetype, but it's really the opposite. There's a good reason stall is far more popular in tournaments and high ladder than it is at low-mid ladder, and it's because the threatlist is much smaller. It doesn't matter that your team may be weak to flare blitz zard-y when you're pretty much never going to see it, and when it is so inherantly flawed that you don't have to worry about it becoming meta. Stall aims to defensively check/counter as much of the metagame as possible, which can lead it its checks becoming more explicit when it does that successfully. It's much more difficult to play around a weakness to stall than it is to something more offensive like Manectric. In the case of typical goth stall, sableye and his merry friends narrow down the team's weakness to massive damage, and goth tops it off by trapping a number of mons capable of that. However, the actual matchups vs stall isnt the issue in itself, but rather how that matchup issue affect teambuilding and in turn has an effect in other matchups.

It's important to note here that this isn't inherently bad whatsoever. Literally everything affects the meta in this way. The issue of overcentralization occurs when a meta is wide enough that it can't be properly checked with one team. A team being weak to manaphy is fine because manaphy is a top tier threat that's useful in a hundred other ways. That manaphy needing shed shell is a bit more problematic because that item is a liability if fighting a team that isn't explicitly weak to manaphy and using gothitelle to trap it.

Something you may realize from this, if it wasn't obvious, is that banning absolutely anything narrows the threatlist in a way that should reduce matchup issues (except in the case where said mon is checking something else that would be overcentralizing, which is a perfectly valid argument to make and people have been mentioning spikes HO and medicham of being capable of this). A lot of good players believe that the ORAS meta is too matchup based, and if that is the case, then the only way to improve it is to narrow the meta through banning something. Sableye is on the table because it is a strong threat which eliminates (or at the very least makes very difficult) many standard methods of dealing with mons which you have a bad matchup against, which in turn makes it a bigger priority when teambuiling, which in turn weakens one's team against other threats.

BASICALLY what this comes down to is that when something is being suspected for overcentralization, you should consider these points:
  • Are matchups and issue in ORAS? To the point where you'd want to ban something in order to emphasize battling skill more?
  • Is sableye a notable enough contraint on teambuilding that in accounting for it, you significantly weaken your matchup against other common mons or archetypes?
  • Does sableye check any important threats or playstyles which would become overwhelming if he were to be banned?

The arguments people should NOT be making are that it's an S-rank threat that people need to account for, and especially not that you can beat it with some off the wall shit that would surprise people if you made it halfway through a room tour with. It would be ridiculous to accuse some A- threat of being overcentralizing, and "being creative" with countering it comes with implications that it is necessary to do that, which would actually indicate that it is overcentralizing. People naming viable sets or cores (and not a list of mons ffs) that can dismantle stall without leaving huge holes against balance or offense is actually a good response though.

also adamant lopunny blows flaccid cock

This argument makes me mad, and it's not just you it's been a lot of people saying this. I mean, are we supposed to beat a team with a single Pokemon? Is that what we're aiming for? You can't say Sableye is broken because alongside 5 other Pokemon it walls most of the metagame. That's insane. The list of checks/counters provided was quite extensive, and included 2 other S rank mons so noone can claim that it's a list of obscure mons. So what if these things don't 6-0 entire teams specifically designed to outright wall as many things in the metagame as possible? In fact, some of them actually can, but that's besides the point. When something that stops your Sableye check comes out, you can switch. This is how Pokemon is supposed to work. When you introduce something that can remove the ability to switch, you encounter a problem.

The thing that made Sableye good was that Goth could trap and cripple/remove Sab's checks and counters. I think we need to focus on just getting rid of the cancerous filth that is Gothitelle, because Sableye truly isn't that bad.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Prenote: I am fairly tired while writing this so it's probably rambly, maybe repetitive, and possibly have tired brainfart inaccuracies as a result, so feel free to point out any obvious errors I probably made. I think the general idea behind the post should be on point though.

This argument makes me mad, and it's not just you it's been a lot of people saying this. I mean, are we supposed to beat a team with a single Pokemon? Is that what we're aiming for? You can't say Sableye is broken because alongside 5 other Pokemon it walls most of the metagame. That's insane. The list of checks/counters provided was quite extensive, and included 2 other S rank mons so noone can claim that it's a list of obscure mons. So what if these things don't 6-0 entire teams specifically designed to outright wall as many things in the metagame as possible? In fact, some of them actually can, but that's besides the point. When something that stops your Sableye check comes out, you can switch. This is how Pokemon is supposed to work. When you introduce something that can remove the ability to switch, you encounter a problem.

The thing that made Sableye good was that Goth could trap and cripple/remove Sab's checks and counters. I think we need to focus on just getting rid of the cancerous filth that is Gothitelle, because Sableye truly isn't that bad.
I feel like this post really encapsulates what I don't like about the STag Ban arguments, and what makes a lot of them so flawed. Let's look at what's said here.

• Sableye is a key member of stall teams
  • It's effectiveness exists because its supported by 5 other members that are effective at covering its weaknesses
  • The point of stall is to wall as much of the meta as possible, which is what current stall teams are accomplishing
  • Gothitelle denies switching of your key counters to Sableye (who generally is your team's stallbreaker), breaking the flow of the game
  • Therefore, Gothitelle is broken

The general argument is pretty solid on the surface, but there is a key point that skips a bit of logic. It's this bit right here.

• Gothitelle denies switching of your key counters to Sableye (who generally is your team's stallbreaker), breaking the flow of the game
Now, what doesn't matter that the Pokemon here is Sableye. You could replace that Pokemon with any stall mega or any other Pokemon for that matter, and the flaw in this becomes the same.

Is Gothitelle being able to trap those answers the reason why the flow of the game is being broken? Is Gothitelle the one creating this problem? I mean, it certainly looks like it does, it has one incredible niche in trapping that it's exceedingly effective in, and does it with absolute consistency (barring hax). But let's back up first.

There is another major point that I think a lot of people tend to forget. Obviously if you made a two pokemon team and went onto OU ladder, MSab + Goth isn't gunna get you wins. So the point being:

• It's effectiveness exists because its supported by 5 other members that are effective at covering its weaknesses
This is major. Why is Sab + Goth so good? Because you also have Chansey, Skarmory, Clefable, Slowbro, Quagsire, whatever the hell you want to run to clean up the rest. Gothitelle takes down threats just as these do, but it does so in a much more narrow and specialized fashion. Pokemon ultimately a game where you have 6 pieces to start with, and your goal is to get rid of your opponent's 6 pieces. The end result on Gothitelle being that it kills or cripples something that otherwise would tear through your team, and in a lot of cases it becomes crippled or dies in the process, so effectively this turns the game into a 5v5 in your favor as it targets the enemy Pokemon that's the most effective against your team, while Gothitelle is often valueless for you outside of that one crucial pick. But what's really saying if that pick by Goth contributed more to the team than say, the great typing and hazard control of Skarmory, or the general control Clefable can contribute over a game? These Pokemon are considered higher rank for a reason: they are much more broader in utility than Gothitelle, and are usually the real threats on stall, the reason why Gothitelle picking a threat is important has nothing to do with Gothitelle, it's that 1 for 1ing favorably means a lot when you have such strong team members that can so easily cover all their bases. Maybe goth will trade its life to cripple 1 thing, but this ultimately leads to Clefable straight KOing 3 Pokemon. This is the end result of what STag does. Goth is an enabler for other Pokemon to do the dirty work, and it's only pushing stall to the point of being gamebreaking when you can get 5 Pokemon that can cover literally every single threat EXCEPT a few Pokemon that you leave Gothitelle to easily clean up.

Goth isn't the best Pokemon on a stall team. It's also not going to be the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and usually not even 5th best member of your team. It's an inherently weak Pokemon that does one very specific niche that stall incredibly badly needs well enough to get the job done. Which is why I don't like the idea of banning it.

Banning Goth would almost certainly be less impactful on stall than banning something like Clef, Skarmory, or Chansey, and that just doesn't feel right.

Yes, Goth contributes to stall in a way that can feel unfair, and can feel very unfun to play against, which makes it a great scapegoat for Sableye. Would people try and dare get away with banning Clefable to keep Sableye in the tier? It's a lot harder to convince people it's not Sab when the target isn't something that feels terribly unfun to play around, even if Goth isn't as inherently powerful as Clef is. The same arguement goes triple for Gothorita, if anyone is for some reason still trying to argue that thing could even crawl out of D Rank.

I can't call someone incorrect for saying Goth is a reason why Stall is currently broken, because they're not, but it call it THE reason... or even a top 3 reason... honestly it's not correct. You have a team of 6 Pokemon, and their strengths lie in being able to cover the weaknesses of others. Gothitelle does that all right, but so does Clef and Skarm, and they do it on a bigger scale than Goth does, just in a way that emphasizes gameplay more than teambuilding. Then there's Sableye, who does it on an absolutely ridiculous scale, blocking status, hazards, taunts, and a laundry list of Pokemon from even threatening to touch your team.

The powerhouse of stall teams is Sableye, he covers what were once weaknesses of stall inherently, and the rest of the stall team is there to abuse that. Gothitelle exists only as a tool to block the most straightforward counter to that type of strategy: support a mon that can kill Sableye, and pick apart the rest of the team without the glue that holds the whole team together. Gothitelle is strong in this meta because it's a forced pick, as Sableye has so tightly bottlenecked the game that it's come down to "always run an explicit Sableye counter on every team or lose", and Gothitelle exploits that by using the other 4 members of the team as padding, and eliminating the usually single threat on the enemy team that this otherwise broken stall core can't handle. Once it does that, stall does its thing and wins the game. The fact that you have a single win condition which you are so forced to rely on, that condition always being a Sableye counter, and if it is eliminated you guaranteed cannot get back into the game regardless of where the status of the game currently is at, to me shows how ridiculous the effect Sableye has had on the metagame.

Ever since Goth came into the meta years and years ago, it's been annoying and unfun to deal with, but that's about it. Many people have gotten incredibly salty over this mon, but it's been obviously not broken for years and across multiple metas. This is because it's only as powerful as the cores it can support, and in the case of the current meta, it certainly found a broken core to work with. Goth never was a problem before Sableye, but significantly more importantly continues to not be a problem in its absence. It is decisively a normal mon without Sableye in the meta.

The real power of current stall lies entirely in the ability to support Sableye, and I don't really like the fact that so many people are arguing that Gothitelle is broken because it nearly auto-wins games by killing your Sableye counter. If it was "killing your stallbreaker" or something more generic, something more ubiquitous than that, I'd be on the train for taking Goth down. But it's not, Goth is specifically powerful in a meta where its primary role is to cripple or kill answers to Sableye. This is why it should be banned rather than Gothitelle. It's entirely Sableye's fault that the meta is where it is, and Gothitelle is just a byproduct of a meta revolving entirely around Sableye.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Why is Sab + Goth so good? Because you also have Chansey, Skarmory, Clefable, Slowbro, Quagsire, whatever the hell you want to run to clean up the rest. Gothitelle takes down threats just as these do, but it does so in a much more narrow and specialized fashion. Pokemon ultimately a game where you have 6 pieces to start with, and your goal is to get rid of your opponent's 6 pieces. The end result on Gothitelle being that it kills or cripples something that otherwise would tear through your team, and in a lot of cases it becomes crippled or dies in the process, so effectively this turns the game into a 5v5 in your favor as it targets the enemy Pokemon that's the most effective against your team, while Gothitelle is often valueless for you outside of that one crucial pick.
Being able to guarantee a kill on one mon has to be broken. It takes skill away from the game as if I can kill one of your things unless you specifically prep for Goth, then I don't need a team that covers for every weakness, taking away skill. Goth does not just kill your Sableye counters. It traps ALL stallbreakers (except ghost types). Guaranteeing a kill is clearly broken, and I don't know how you can even try to justify it with a straight face.
Stall teams still run Defog on Skarmory. Sableye does not automatically win the hazard game. People have used stall on the suspect ladder with Venu or ZardX etc and still have had success because Goth can trap the counters to those mons as well.

Goth never was a problem before Sableye, but significantly more importantly continues to not be a problem in its absence. It is decisively a normal mon without Sableye in the meta.
[sarcasm]Which is why it was suspected IN UBERS in XY. All it knows how to do is trap Sableye's counters. Beyond that, it must be garbage! [/sarcasm]
Goth can support literally any team. It's cancer. Stop letting your hatred for Sableye get in the way of rational thought.

Ever since Goth came into the meta years and years ago, it's been annoying and unfun to deal with, but that's about it. Many people have gotten incredibly salty over this mon, but it's been obviously not broken for years and across multiple metas. This is because it's only as powerful as the cores it can support, and in the case of the current meta, it certainly found a broken core to work with. Goth never was a problem before Sableye, but significantly more importantly continues to not be a problem in its absence. It is decisively a normal mon without Sableye in the meta.

The real power of current stall lies entirely in the ability to support Sableye, and I don't really like the fact that so many people are arguing that Gothitelle is broken because it nearly auto-wins games by killing your Sableye counter. If it was "killing your stallbreaker" or something more generic, something more ubiquitous than that, I'd be on the train for taking Goth down. But it's not, Goth is specifically powerful in a meta where its primary role is to cripple or kill answers to Sableye. This is why it should be banned rather than Gothitelle. It's entirely Sableye's fault that the meta is where it is, and Gothitelle is just a byproduct of a meta revolving entirely around Sableye.
How Goth has affected the previous metas years ago don't matter. Those are not ORAS Metas. They did not have the pokemon in them or the Mega Pokemon that exist in current ORAS. They did not have the increasing Power Creep particularly within offense. You can not use previous metas because they are all different thanks to the lack or inclusion of game functions such as Team Preview, Permanent Weather or Mega Pokemon.

Goth (Shadow Tag) doesn't need to be broken. Its uncompetitive. The ability completely removes a basic function of the game, switching. The only way around this is to be a Ghost or to be running Shed Shell. Shed Shell Manaphy is dumb. Goth/Shadow Tag gives me from the team preview screen the ability to look at the opponents team and say "I'm sniping that bitch off" and now before you've even started the opponent is under huge pressure.

Those two paragraphs has not said anything about Sableye being broken or problematic. It just repeats that the issue that Goth/Sable stall is broken. Not Sableye Stall by itself.

During the ORAS Meta, prior to Goth/Sable Stall there has been no real issues with Mega Sableye. It wasn't until these two were paired together that people saw an issue.

We've already listed the definition of Uncompetitive in the thread and Mega Sableye does not fit the description.

Overcentralizing? My ass. There are plenty of things in the Meta that solo M-Sableye teams can get checked or countered by that are commonly used and aren't obscure bullshit.

Unhealthy? Why? Because "I can't use my passive Stealth Rockers to get by so I have to use offensive ones to do it". Thats called a laziness to adapt to the premier threats in the metagame.

If your team can't win without Stealth Rocks/hazards and you're so reliant on them getting up, that's a massive teambuilding flaw on your part.
If your team can't deal with a top-tier threat in the metagame, thats a massive teambuilding flaw because there will always be top tier threats like Mega Sableye running the show that you have to prepare for and will be changing the metagame thanks to their influence.
If your team is crippled by having Stealth Rocks/hazards bounced back, thats a massive teambuilding flaw because how is that any different from having your opponent just dropping hazards on you?

Mega-Sableye by itself, is not unhealthy or anymore centralizing than what you expect of other top tier threats and is definitely not uncompetitive. The worst it really does is be crippling towards teams that decided to rely on passive hazard setters.

Last edited:
Hi, I just got reqs.

A lot of people forget that Goth doesn't have a defensive presence alone, but it can also trap things that wall offensive pokemon like M-Manectric, M-Beedrill, M-ZardX, and so on.

M-Sableye isn't hard to deal with due to the plethora of wallbreakers in the tier, but the fact that gothitelle can effectively trap them and render them useless is a huge obstacle in dealing with Sab.

This leads me to believe that it's Gothitelle who should go, and not M-Sableye. Ban goth.

The arguments people should NOT be making are that it's an S-rank threat that people need to account for, and especially not that you can beat it with some off the wall shit that would surprise people if you made it halfway through a room tour with. It would be ridiculous to accuse some A- threat of being overcentralizing, and "being creative" with countering it comes with implications that it is necessary to do that, which would actually indicate that it is overcentralizing. People naming viable sets or cores (and not a list of mons ffs) that can dismantle stall without leaving huge holes against balance or offense is actually a good response though.
How is acknowledging Sableye's S-rank status and the need to prepare for it a bad argument? You need to do the same things with other S-rank mons and even most A+ right? You can't make a team that doesn't prepare for Clefable or ZardX, that would be bad team building. Why would not preparing for Sableye not count as bad team building as well? You know it's there. You know it's S-rank. Why do we not acknowledge it?
As for listing mons that beat entire stall builds, that's just asinine. As Eraxxer pointed out; your wallbreaker is going to have just as many teammates as Sableye (more so when Goth gets banned). This is the reason why many teams use stall/wallbreaking CORES to take down defensive cores while still having options for other teams. Take RandomBro's list but don't stop at using just one mon, use two or three. There are mons on that list that not only threaten stall but also threaten offense (Torn, Lopunny, Serp etc) and balance (Hoopa, Gard... Serp) as well. Use these mons together to keep flexible. Offense and balance team members are just as reliant on teammates as stall mons

How is acknowledging Sableye's S-rank status and the need to prepare for it a bad argument? You need to do the same things with other S-rank mons and even most A+ right? You can't make a team that doesn't prepare for Clefable or ZardX, that would be bad team building. Why would not preparing for Sableye not count as bad team building as well? You know it's there. You know it's S-rank. Why do we not acknowledge it?
i dont even know why im even trying. im pretty sure you could have read literally any other sentence in that post and had your answer.

its a bad argument against OVERCENTRALIZATION. like no shit people have to account for a top tier threat that appears on one in every ten teams. people are already doing that.

as for the second part of your post, i said in the part that you quoted that naming viable sets and cores is a good argument. if people have good cores or sets that also rip through stall then post them. you cant just roll off a list of names that are merely capable of killing sableye though. a five year old could think of a way to kill him 1v1.

Last edited:
As for listing mons that beat entire stall builds, that's just asinine. As Eraxxer pointed out; your wallbreaker is going to have just as many teammates as Sableye (more so when Goth gets banned). This is the reason why many teams use stall/wallbreaking CORES to take down defensive cores while still having options for other teams. Take RandomBro's list but don't stop at using just one mon, use two or three. There are mons on that list that not only threaten stall but also threaten offense (Torn, Lopunny, Serp etc) and balance (Hoopa, Gard... Serp) as well. Use these mons together to keep flexible. Offense and balance team members are just as reliant on teammates as stall mons
The reason why he stated not to list pokemon and to list cores is because it makes a much better argument. A list of pokemon is fine, yes, but what really matters is if they work well together and still manage to be an effective threat against not only the target pokemon (in this case, m-sableye), but most of the tier. You cannot just pick any random combination of pokemon from that list and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)