2016 Grammy Nominees

So the Grammy nominees are out for 2016, and this is a thread to discuss them.

the full list can be viewed here: https://www.grammy.com/nominees

are there any artists that you think have been snubbed?

Personally I think 'To Pimp A Butterfly' needs to win Album of The Year, groundbreaking stuff, incorporated so much soul and art into his album, very mature sound, and compared the the other nominees, it has 10 times the influence, soul, and class. Also really hope The Internet's Ego Death wins "Best Urban Contemporary Album" over The Weeknd's new album, but since the Grammy's are more a popularity contest than a measure of real quality, I doubt it.

What do you guys think about the nominees?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Did you make an account just to discuss this? Is this a marketing ploy to get more hits for the Grammy website? Kink has questions.

edit: ok he pmed me and I'm convinced he's not a bot

Last edited:

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
are there any artists that you think have been snubbed?
I play 5 instruments and I sing.

the grammies are just a giant snub to artists.

yeah hella artists got snubbed, such as Björk
, sufjan stevens ( his music is pretty bad tho), Drake (stopped being fake af recently), Earl Sweatshirt, A$AP Rocky... The token hip hop album for album of the year, that does not win btw, trope persists. You heard Kanye hint at it at the VMAs: they just want black people in the room, they don't actually care about black people or aim to recognize 'black excellence'. But they have like 15 diff grammies just for gospel and christian music and taylor swift gets nominations even though her label is straight up named 'Big Machine Records'...even if she doesnt win her inclusion degrades the spectacle and is also outrageously misogynist and shows a commitment to continuing white supremacy in the pop music industry. sorry t swift fans really need to own up to how racist and sexist her music is, and how she/her machine has also done/said racist and sexist things against other artists. Super frustrating which is why i try to ignore the grammies

Last edited:

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While I agree that the grammys can be a popularity contest, it was this past show that awarded Beck album of the year over Beyonce's ... I have no opinion on this since I didn't really listen to either, but a lot of people think Beck's album was extremely top quality, despite not being in the same realm of popularity as queen bee.

as for this year, i'm glad to see some newcomers like lianne la havas get some love. But for the life of me i dont know why meghan trainor was nom'd for best new artist, i feel like she has been a thorn in my side for years... REALLY though, who cares what happens at this year's grammys when next year 25 is going to ruin everyone.

myzozoa made good points. the grammies aren't really anything other than a chance for the richest and most successful and the whitest artists masturbating for however many hours the show goes on for. most records/artists that win these awards aren't going to be talked about even in the next year, let alone 5.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Grammys are really just a gigantic popularity contest but I'll talk about my thoughts on the "Best Metal Performance" nominees:

1. August Burns Red - Identity

Eugh. No. How exactly did August Burns Red get nominated for anything again? They're shit.

2. Ghost - Cirice

Despite Ghost's satanic themes, this song is a bit more subtle about it. Regardless, the song has very powerful lyrics and a brutal Metallica-esque riff so I'm glad to see it here.

3. Lamb of God - 512

I like Lamb of God. "512" was definitely the best song off of VII: Sturm und Drang in my opinion, but I'm still uncertain as to how it stacks up against other nominees, esp. "Cirice" and "Custer."

4. Sevendust - Thank You

No opinion on Sevendust.

5. Slipknot - Custer

I love Slipknot. This song is awesome, with such a damn catchy riff and a catchy yet simple chorus "Cut, cut, cut me up and fuck, fuck, fuck me up" but I'm still not certain it's the best song off of .5: The Gray Chapter. To be honest, I'd have given the nomination to "The Devil in I" or "Killpop."

But again, let's be real here - my thoughts on these tracks don't matter, nor do what anybody else thinks about the quality of these songs - the Grammys are just a gigantic popularity contest so Slipknot is probably winning this award (iirc .5: The Gray Chapter was the only album a song nominated for this category came off of that charted at #1 on Billboard 200,) Taylor Swift is probably winning everything she's nominated for, and great artists like Björk continue to get shafted. Regardless, does anyone actually care? We'll be talking about the winners on Twitter for a few months then forget about it.

yeah, never managed to take the grammies seriously for reasons stated prior in this thread, so the most enjoyment i've been able to get out of them boils down to tryna validate a lot of the terrible choices made. to see any of kendrick, courtney barnett, alabama shakes, bjork, d'angelo and the vanguard, liana la havas, flying lotus, w.e pick up an award would be dope, but given how these always tend to look to mainstream appeal moreso than pure quality, so pretty dang sure they won't. rock and metal are looking hilarious this time around, and if you ever needed hard proof in regards to how subpar the grammies are as a judge of music, the epic is left without mention in the jazz category. only thing to look forward to would be ghost potentially winning metal performance to give a speech in full ghost attire.

God, the nominations are absolutely abysmal. just looking at the main categories, seeing Ed Sheeran, Kelly Clarkson, See You Again, etc is absolutely laughable. tay better sweep those pop categories though (even though we all know carlegend slae jepsen deserved to sweep)<3

The Grammys are really just a gigantic popularity contest but I'll talk about my thoughts on the "Best Metal Performance" nominees:

1. August Burns Red - Identity

Eugh. No. How exactly did August Burns Red get nominated for anything again? They're shit.
Hey, Rescue & Restore is an amazing album. The new one is pretty meh tho, I'll give you that.

Grammys are a joke and everyone knows, T Swift deserves to win everything except maybe AOTY, I'm torn between 1989 and TPAB there.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah, never managed to take the grammies seriously for reasons stated prior in this thread, so the most enjoyment i've been able to get out of them boils down to tryna validate a lot of the terrible choices made. to see any of kendrick, courtney barnett, alabama shakes, bjork, d'angelo and the vanguard, liana la havas, flying lotus, w.e pick up an award would be dope, but given how these always tend to look to mainstream appeal moreso than pure quality, so pretty dang sure they won't. rock and metal are looking hilarious this time around, and if you ever needed hard proof in regards to how subpar the grammies are as a judge of music, the epic is left without mention in the jazz category. only thing to look forward to would be ghost potentially winning metal performance to give a speech in full ghost attire.
bjork has been playing a lot on my local radio station. Not sure if that counts as becoming one of the "popular" artists but clearly that is a step in the regard.

not that I care or expected any differently but the metal category is painful
It's almost as if whoever decides the Grammy nominees knows nothing about metal and that a Dio cover by a comedy rock band should never have won an award for Best Metal Performance...

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
God, the nominations are absolutely abysmal. just looking at the main categories, seeing Ed Sheeran, Kelly Clarkson, See You Again, etc is absolutely laughable. tay better sweep those pop categories though (even though we all know carlegend slae jepsen deserved to sweep)<3
Not like you can expect much from a TV show targetted at people who didnt know who Paul McCartney or Arcade Fire were

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Best Contemporary Instrumental and a few other Jazz/R&B categories look legit compared the shitshow the rest of it is shaping up to be.

I personally hope Snarky Puppy snags that category. They have been absolutely phenomenal over this year. The kind of sheer flair and innovation they bring to their music is unprecedented. Making funk and improv work with one of the biggest orchestras in the world (with the Metropole in Sylva) is taking it to the next level.
Any one of you not listening to them you're missing out on perhaps the best collective on the planet. Especially if you're a funk/jazz/R&B fan. You'd probably dig them even otherwise.
A sample from the nominated album.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
The major awards seem like a popularity contest these days, its almost as bas as the AMAs or something. But the other categories look p sweet.

Best American Roots song needs to go to The Travelling Kind. Not only does it have great lyrics and instrumentation, but one of the writers is from my area and has worked with my brother (a professional guitar player) a ton. I've also met him several times, and he's a really swell guy. I'm just really proud of him and really hope he wins.

Otherwise, Hamilton for Best Musical Theatre soundtrack, Tori Kelly for Best New Artist, Interstellar for Best Score, Pentatonix for Best Acapella, and To Pimp a Butterfly for Album of the Year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)