ORAS OU Dragons

Hi all, its has been (FOUR years) since I really played Pokemon, so my old team has gotten a bit rusty. Back in the day it was doing most decent, even though I had a major weakness to other dragons. Mainly Latios was my biggest threat, why I couldn't kill any Blissey after Garchomp got killed. Also Cloyster with that Shell breaking technique really gets the best of me...

Now, I am back. I still would like to fight with dragons, as I think they're the most fun type to play with. Offcourse, many more weaknesses has come... Fairy? Never heard of that type. Did some testing, but it seems I can't kill though them with ANY dragon type move. This is bad. Sure, I can still kill them, but need some help against those. Especially Hyper Voice(?!) is extremely deadly.
Lets see how my team looks like right now.

Team v1:

Team v2:

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 76 HP / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Recover
- Healing Wish
- Dragon Pulse
Latias as a double screen guard was really outdated... I think her typing isn't suited for that job anymore. Still, she gets the Defog skill, which is really useful in clearing Stealth Rocks or spikes, which will make the life of Charizard and Gyarados easier. Recover goes above Roost, so I will never be harmed by Earthquake and such. Dragon Pulse to use my attack move more often. Draco Meteor is just not doing it anymore...

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
Garchomp used to be my main physical attacker. Great strength and his Focus Sash will make sure he gets my Stealth Rock up. Nice set, thanks -Latios-! I now know what you mean with getting locked into Outrage. I forget I couldn't switch out in the mean time... Would this also be against Fairies? Or will the move "fail" and make me free to pick a new option?

Goodra @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Toxic
Kingdra is gone... I guess I didn't really need more Ice protection, then I already had. Goodra is really the replacement of Kyurem. Kyurem was my stall / annoy unit, but with Kyurem-Black in the team, I can't use him anymore :( Goodra isn't as good, but he gets the job done. Great switch in against any Grass type. Gave him Flamethrower for Ferrothorn, I see alot of those out there. Also can handle Skarmory, but not as great. Might've liked some healing on him, other then Leftovers.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
New Kyurem set. Much stronger then the last one. Kyurem does big damage. I do want something over Stone Edge. Without Super Effective damage and/or crit it isn't the next greatest thing. What skill would you guess get over it? I believe Kyurem can't get Earthquake, any suggestions? I feel he should get Outrage, just because of his insane base strength.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Bounce
Stall Gyarados. I needed Thunder Wave for those pesky Choice Scarf fighters. Any reason why Gyarados is still flying type this gen? I figured they might've replace it and made it a pure water type. Still, only weak to Stealth Rock, while it doesn't mind fighting moves. Many people think this is a dragon and spam dragon moves against it (which I don't care). Bounce is nice, but does cost a turn to set up. I can also inflict PAR to my opponent (30% chance), but they might switch out into something steely and hurt me more... Waterfall for flinch hax, or just a nice STAB move. Earthquake... Because... MegaCharizard? Used to be Roar. I think I might like Roar back, since I can't Phaze at all at the moment.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
- Roost
I just really disliked Charizard-X. But this is a great unit to have in my party. Alot of people think it IS X. So they through things at me, that don't really hurt. Ancient Power is there for Heatrans, or Charizard-X. Not really sure if I should get something above Flamethrower, it seems a bit weak.

My dragon team in a nutshell. Sure, I know mono teams don't tend to work out well, but it is really fun to use team. I would to try and reach the max potential of a dragon team, WITH Gyarados (or other dragonlike pokemon) in it. I haven't scouted Serebii much for the types and such, but probably need to buy either X/Y to get fully into this... I am an "older" player, so I might not learn as quickly as I used to do.

Right now Fairy types are my main thread, while Steel types also hurt. Maybe you can point out other weaknesses, while I just play around with this team. You are allowed to replace EVERYTHING. But I think I really want to keep that Kyurem set.
Hope to receive some nice feedback :)

Some options I am considering right now...
>

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi SSJDennis . Interesting team you have, and welcome back to the competitive scene! I like the fact that your team is centered around dragon types, but as you said, you have little for fairy- types. The fairies in mind are Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, Clefable, Mega Diancie and Togekiss. These are the most relevant fairies in OU right now. Next, you have no stealth rocks. Along with that, you lack hazard removal despite you having 3 Pokémon weak to stealth rocks (Kyurem, Gyarados, Charizard). And the worst part is you have a Latias which has access to Defog. I can also see Landorus-Therian & Mega Manectric being annoying to the team, being able to volt switch, u-turn, or hp ice all over your team. Now, I may ruin the theme of the team to sustain and/or create viability, so sorry. :[
Your current team:

-- I'm not very fond of your moveset here. Latias just isn't the mon for dual screens. I'm not saying dual screens aren't useful for this team, but as I said; Latias isn't the best for this. Instead, I would go for Klefki. It resists fairies for the team, and even sets up screens for the team.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Fairy Lock
- Foul Play

-- Instead of your current scarfed set, I would consider an Offensive Stealth Rock moveset. This way your team has rocks, which would punish switches very nicely. Garchomp is still very offensive, but losing the scarf is quite a bummer I will admit.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry / Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Swords Dance / Fire Blast

Bolded text = Options I would prefer for your team, but you can still run another one.

-- I don't see much reason to run Kingdra on your team. Its only real niche is being a rain attacker with Swift Swim. Your team has no rain. I was mentioning hazard control earlier, so why not run Starmie here? It has access to Rapid Spin, which can spin rocks away for Charizard.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin / Recover
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire

-- I personally feel Charizard-Mega-X is fine here. It takes better advantage of the screens being up. I would rather run Dragon Claw > Outrage. Despite it having more power, Dragon Claw doesn't leave you locked in, which may become useful against fairies. Next, I would run Roost > Earthquake. It gives Charizard further longevity, which is generally more useful than hitting TTar and Heatran. Even then, those mons are checked by other mons on your team like Garchomp.

Team after my changes:

Mega Altaria
Kingdra
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Gyarados
Mega Gardevoir
Starmie
Serperior
Clefable (Calm Mind)
Togekiss
Mega Sceptile

Kingdra
Mega Gyarados
Starmie
Tornadus

I hope this rate helps you, and good luck.​

Yeah, they've really gimped the Dragon type with this generation. Fairies are pretty much the new Dragon type - they thought dragons were OP, so hey let's solve that by creating an even more OP type!

I would highly recommend you run a Steel type move on some of your dragons, especially for Mega Diancie who has a 4x weakness to that type along with low HP - any well-placed Steel type move will OHKO it. I myself use a Dragonite with Iron Head on my Flying team and it has worked wonders against those sissy fairy users.

For your team, you can do the following:

• Iron Tail > Earthquake on Mega Charizard X - Although the accuracy is shaky at 75% so no harm if you don't want to use it, but it gives you the bonus of hitting Fairies as well as the Rock types already covered by Earthquake. High risk, high return.
  • Flash Cannon on Kyurem - though looking at your current Kyurem set it's pretty difficult to fit this here. So honestly...
  • Choice Scarf Black Kyurem > Kyurem - There is little opportunity cost in using Black Kyurem here as he is essentially the same Pokemon (same typing, same HP / Speed / Special Defense stats) but better. You get the added benefit of hitting Water types with Fusion Bolt and you can just hit way harder physically in general thanks to that massive Attack stat, and by running a mixed set (which is perfectly normal for Kyurem-B) you can target any Pokemon's lower defensive stat. Not to mention Kyurem-B also learns Iron Head which will outspeed and hit Fairies.

And yeah, replace every Outrage on your team with Dragon Claw. Outrage is now really a move best suited in the Monotype tier, and the presence of a Fairy on the opponent's team practically disables you from using it - speaking of Monotype though, have you tried running this team in that tier?

Apologies if I missed anything, and hope I helped!

Hi SSJDennis . Interesting team you have, and welcome back to the competitive scene! I like the fact that your team is centered around dragon types, but as you said, you have little for fairy- types. The fairies in mind are Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, Clefable, Mega Diancie and Togekiss. These are the most relevant fairies in OU right now. Next, you have no stealth rocks. Along with that, you lack hazard removal despite you having 3 Pokémon weak to stealth rocks (Kyurem, Gyarados, Charizard). And the worst part is you have a Latias which has access to Defog. I can also see Landorus-Therian & Mega Manectric being annoying to the team, being able to volt switch, u-turn, or hp ice all over your team. Now, I may ruin the theme of the team to sustain and/or create viability, so sorry. :[
I hope this rate helps you, and good luck.​
Hi -Latios- thanks for your input. But really not going to get anything like Starmie or something like that into my team XD Did take your Garchomp set. It is really cool, but I am not really "good" with it yet. I just get carried away when I get Stealth Rocks up XD Also Latias also takes away my Rocks :( That is no fun! To bad nothing can learn Rapid Spin. Would you try Latios over Latias? He can also learn Defog, has a bit more strength, but does miss out on Healing Wish.

Yeah, they've really gimped the Dragon type with this generation. Fairies are pretty much the new Dragon type - they thought dragons were OP, so hey let's solve that by creating an even more OP type!

I would highly recommend you run a Steel type move on some of your dragons, especially for Mega Diancie who has a 4x weakness to that type along with low HP - any well-placed Steel type move will OHKO it. I myself use a Dragonite with Iron Head on my Flying team and it has worked wonders against those sissy fairy users.

For your team, you can do the following:

• Iron Tail > Earthquake on Mega Charizard X - Although the accuracy is shaky at 75% so no harm if you don't want to use it, but it gives you the bonus of hitting Fairies as well as the Rock types already covered by Earthquake. High risk, high return.
  • Flash Cannon on Kyurem - though looking at your current Kyurem set it's pretty difficult to fit this here. So honestly...
  • Choice Scarf Black Kyurem > Kyurem - There is little opportunity cost in using Black Kyurem here as he is essentially the same Pokemon (same typing, same HP / Speed / Special Defense stats) but better. You get the added benefit of hitting Water types with Fusion Bolt and you can just hit way harder physically in general thanks to that massive Attack stat, and by running a mixed set (which is perfectly normal for Kyurem-B) you can target any Pokemon's lower defensive stat. Not to mention Kyurem-B also learns Iron Head which will outspeed and hit Fairies.

And yeah, replace every Outrage on your team with Dragon Claw. Outrage is now really a move best suited in the Monotype tier, and the presence of a Fairy on the opponent's team practically disables you from using it - speaking of Monotype though, have you tried running this team in that tier?

Apologies if I missed anything, and hope I helped!
Hi Drillbreaker, thanks for your support! Yes, got two Steel moves on my fighters. Just incase one of them dies to an unlucky crit. Kyurem-Black is probably one of the missing links in this team before. Flash Cannon could've gone over Earth Power, but that would've made me weak against Heatran and such. Not to sure about the last skill slot on Kyurem. What would you pick? Any standard picks?

I am also REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY weak against Cloyster after Shell Smash :( Really no clue how to handle that really. Any tips?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)