Other SMOGON NOMIC (PROPOSAL PHASE 18)

I'm a lot busier than I had hoped, so that's why I have not been active much. If there are subs available I wouldn't mind being subbed out, otherwise I can still play but I won't post proposals and votes every cycle.

Proposal: Direction Proposal
On the proposal phase each player must propose a theme for the next proposal phase. Theme will be voted separately from proposals and are chosen when the absolute majority of player vote for one of them. When a theme is elected it must be respected on the next proposal phase ; If a proposal do not respect the theme then this proposal is simply ignored by the host. (eg. if the theme is scoring all rules on the next proposal phase must be about how to score points.)

This is all on the players right now. If we want to stay true to nomic "every rule is player-created and player-voted", then the hosts are doing the best they can. What needs to happen is people need to stop thinking about how to win already, and focus on making a playable game. Currently, we have no gameplay. We are sitting in a sad little circle and voting no on other people'so proposals because the world will end if somebody else scores a point. If you think a rule is iffy, then vote yes and make plans to edit or propose a counterrule down the road.

If you don't want to play this game, request to be subbed out. If you do want to play this game, start voting yes.

Leethoof

If people want to submit rules that are better than "we have a random coloring book page ambiguously in the game" then I'll vote for it. I'm not going to vote yes on anything that exists ever just because you disagree. I vote yes on the things I want to vote yes on and no on the things I don't want to see. If they pass, I'll sure as hell play along. But just because I don't like a majority of the rules on the table doesn't mean I have an obligation to pass them anyways just for the fuck of it.

I agree that we all should probably take a halt to some of the safe rules and start proposing more out of the box ideas though. Especially on at least one way to get some points and some competitions up in here.

Ok here's my cool new rule pls nobody hate I think it's really great. I understand that this is supposed to be a game of collaborative crelativity as we design the game on the fly, but I think it's better if we all submit our own fully fleshed game ideas and pass them beneath the watchful gaze of our hallowed peers. That way, nothing out of the ordinary can happen, and we can fully 100% see the long-term consequences of our rules.

Proposal: Stubbornia - the Game
I made it in a separate link because it is very well-thought out, and I'd rather not have anyone else add to or change a portion of my rule.
The rules are on this link.

Not a real proposal my coloring book one still stands I think we can make some sort of goofy board game from it

Last edited:
Would anyone care to comment on my post earlier? If you disagree I won't be particularly offended or anything.
Well i personally think it would make the game even more confusing and hard to play than it's already is. You can make a proposal out of it and i would be glad to try it but i think it's a ruleset more adapted to an irl game plus the phase give us a time indication to time our rules on (for example : my very first rule proposal wouldn't work with your system as someone could abuse it by making dumb proposal to draw freely card.)

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Well i personally think it would make the game even more confusing and hard to play than it's already is. You can make a proposal out of it and i would be glad to try it but i think it's a ruleset more adapted to an irl game plus the phase give us a time indication to time our rules on (for example : my very first rule proposal wouldn't work with your system as someone could abuse it by making dumb proposal to draw freely card.)
I see what you're saying. Thinking about it more, I think what I'm suggesting doesn't actually require any new rules. What I'm suggesting is if you have a proposal that gets rejected, you should probably not just give up on it entirely. If you think it the proposal has potential, you should try to find out what is wrong with the proposal, and make modifications for it before the next proposal phase. This will probably involve asking others what they think.

Also, we shouldn't freak out if very few people make proposals every proposal phase, it just means people are still in the process of making one or modifying one of their previous ones. However, we should indeed freak out if very few people participate in the vote.

Also, I find the 54 card idea more appealing right now for whatever reason. My suggestion though is that everyone starts with like 5 random cards, and that there are only 4 decks. The reason I suggest 5 cards is because I want people to have more options to do things, instead of being extremely limited at the start. The reason I want a deck limit is because I want people to be able to track somewhat how many of each card there is in the deck when sharing information with others. When the deck runs out of cards something happens.

Last edited:

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Discussions seem to be going the right way, but I'll be launching this update so that everyone's proposals can be cleared up and you can all begin proposing the bigger deal rules afterwards.

Proposal: Three is a Magic Number
Until a winner is declared, there must always be at least three active players for the advance to the next phase. Should there be an occurrence where there are only two active players to end the round, the hosts will have 48 hours to find a sub. Should the hosts fail to find a sub in this time period, the last player(s) to be eliminated will be allowed to return to the game as if they had not lost in the first place.
Proposal: I have to drive 4 hours on Sunday
Between now and Sunday, December 13th (US Central Time), any user may post one Spotify playlist comprised of 4 hours' worth of songs that any reasonable observer would classify as some form of rock music. Doing so will earn the poster 10 points. Walrein may only participate in this if at least 1 other user posts a playlist, and the playlist Walrein posts must be a new playlist created after the time of this rule's passage (this restriction does not apply to anyone else).
Proposal: Mercy Rule
Should any one player be 75 or more points ahead of the player with the next most points, they shall automatically win the game.
Proposal: Speed things up a teeny-tiny bit

Each turn, the leading player gains 1 point. If there's a tie, all players who are in the lead will receive this point
Proposal: Game Accelerator
If any player votes NO on more than 75% of the proposals in a voting phase, they must write a minimum of two (2) sentences on why they voted no, and what a better alternative is / how they think the game should move forward. If any player fails to do so, they lose 25 points.)
PROPOSAL: GAME BOARD NUMBER 1
There is this coloring book page in the game
Proposal: Direction Proposal
On the proposal phase each player must propose a theme for the next proposal phase. Theme will be voted separately from proposals and are chosen when the absolute majority of player vote for one of them. When a theme is elected it must be respected on the next proposal phase ; If a proposal do not respect the theme then this proposal is simply ignored by the host. (eg. if the theme is scoring all rules on the next proposal phase must be about how to score points.)
Thetwinmasters
brightobject
sunny004

appear to not have taken action, but will currently not face repercussions

Ullar and Golden009 have failed to take action and will be removed from the game, possibly to be replaced by a substitution. Due to the nature of the game, substitutions are not strictly needed.

Thetwinmasters
PokeguyNXB
ButteredToast
Pidge
Izhuark
Walrein
Leethoof
Phione
brightobject
sunny004
More Cowbell

Full playerlist, noone currently has points.

Voting begins. Starting with this voting phase, rules will be considered to have reached a winning majority if a majority of voting players voted for it, rather than a majority of players in the game. Voting phase ends early if everyone has voted or every rule has reached a majority for or against it out of the maximum possible votes.

If there are any questions or anything I've said appears to be wrong, please notify me and acidphoenix immediately.

Last edited:
ButteredToast [YES]
Walrein [NO]
Phione [YES]
PokeguyNXB [YES]
sunny004 [NO]
Leethoof [NO]
Izhuark [NO] But I agree on the idea that themes should be SUGGESTED and we can follow that. Having a rule on it (especially worded/rationalized the way it is) is pretty meh.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Hey guys, so as Leethoof pointed out a while ago, we still haven't figured out a lot about this game.

Important questions:

a. what game to play -- note that the game probably should be a combination of multiple levels of "gameplay" and come from various sources
b. how to win
c. how many players can win.

As such, I want to get an idea of the sorts of games that people enjoy playing.

Note that we probably are not going to turn this nomic into a pokemon tournament or anything of the sort, but it might be able to give us some direction on where we want to take the game. I actually have a pretty interesting idea that incorporates proposals but want to get some feedback on what kinds of gamesplayers you all are.

Try to see if someone else mentioned something that you are similarly interested in and we can see if there are aspects of that game that might be interesting to incorporate into this one.

Questionnaire:

1. Simple or complex games?
2. Besides pokemon, what are 3 video games that you enjoy(ed) playing or could see yourself enjoying from what others have mentioned?
3. Are there any board games or forum games that you enjoy(ed) playing or could see yourself enjoying from what others have mentioned?
4. Do you enjoy strategy games?
5. Are there any sports or other competitive activities that you enjoy(ed) or could enjoy participating in from what others have mentioned?
6. How many people do you believe would be the maximum amount of people that you would feel comfortable allowing to "win" this game?
7. What would it take for you to believe that someone "deserved" to win in nomic?

My answers:

1. Prefer complex games. I like being able to plan things out and come up with fun, intricate solutions to problems and seeing multiple angles of dealing with a ruleset.

2. Fire Emblem, League of Legends, Undertale.

-I like the strategy elements of fire emblem. Being able to plan out moves and coming up with a party that covers a lot of bases is fun for me.
-League is fun because I get to call my friends bad
-Undertale is fun for the unexpected nature of some of the game concepts and the ability to choose what kind of player you are is interesting to me.

3. Forum mafia, resistance, risk/warlight, spades.
-mafia and resistance are about deception, planning, and strategy on various levels. I also enjoy the collaborative elements of mafia, although those are less present in resistance.
-warlight is fun because I enjoy strategic number crunching and the feeling of outplaying and outpredicting another player
-spades is fun because I get to call moi bad

4. I played basketball, am a casual fan of soccer, and enjoy debate.
-i have no idea how to incorporate basketball into this
-debate is awesome; articulating logical trains of thought and doing comparative analysis between multiple possible outcomes is always fascinating to me

5. I do not think that more than 1/5 of the player base rounded up should be able to win at a maximum; so in a game this size I wouldn't want more than 3 people to win. I would be fine with only one person winning, as well. I think a fifth is probably my limit because in my mind, 1/5 is about the amount that an average mafia team would have in a game and I think that 3 allows for some collaboration and different types of effort to be rewarded possibly, but still makes winning feel rewarding in being a fairly limited subset of players

6. I would want someone who puts in time and effort thinking about this game to be rewarded with a win, whether that be in the proposal stage itself or in some arbitrary game we use to determine point usage.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)