I don't use shampoo to wash hair

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
(This is not Firebot material. This is serious thread.)

I just tried something very new and I'd like to share.
You don't have to use shampoo to wash hair, there are natural and organic ways to wash hair without the use of shampoo (or stuff that involves artificial chemicals).

The thing that I'm currently really satisfied is a powder called Moroccan Ghassoul I bought from a fair trade shop.
It is a natural mineral clay mined in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco since the eighth century.
https://shop.hkfairtradepower.com/en-product-details-976.html
It is in powder form, and you add very little water to it to turn it into a paste.
The paste can then be used to wash face, wash body and wash hair.
I personally use it to wash hair, it is very good at taking the grease off, so it's good for people with oily type hair.
It also feels great and wonderful. It doesn't smell, but I don't think smell is necessary for hair washing at all.

If you think fair trade stuff is too expensive to you, you can buy it from Cosme, which is a Japanese brand. It is the same thing at a much cheaper price.

Another thing I've used in the past but stopped using... is the tea seed powder. Also called Camellia Seeds powder.
http://www.naturesblessing.com.hk/i...g=en&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=55

This is very very very very cheap!! As this is the residue byproduct of Camellia oil. It is also very useful-- use it as detergent to wash bowls, or even wash the walls of your shower room. It makes my shower room very clean and sparkly.
Again, it's in powder form, you add little bit of water to make it into a paste, and then use it to wash hair.
If you use it to wash dishes, just sprinkle some powder onto your dishes.

However, if you use it to wash hair, it doesn't make you feel "great" after the shower.
It is also very irritating to the eyes, even when it's very dilute.
So I don't use it to wash hair anymore, but I still use it to wash dishes.
But guys, this one is REALLY CHEAP.
If you are on a tight budget, you might want to try this so you can save your shampoo money.

So, ya. I stopped using the nasty chemicals. I don't think I'd use shampoo anymore.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
One can also use diluted baking soda and diluted vinegar, it's called the 'no poo' method:

http://www.treehugger.com/organic-beauty/would-you-ever-stop-using-shampoo.html

In my own case, my hair has demanded a carcinogenic chemical response, im gonna keep the shampoo and conditioner on hand for now.

I'm probably gonna get some of that moroccan clay. There should be an easy process to add scent to the clay, http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-use-ghassoul-rhassoul-for-soft-healthy-skin-and-hair/, according to this person you could just add drops of essential oils with the small amount of water. I'm not sure that is always a good idea as some essential oils will be irritating to skin or otherwise harmful. However, I feel comfortable saying that one would probably be safe adding one drop of chamomile, vetiver, marjorum, or bergamot essential oil as a way of scenting the mud.

Cresselia~~

One can also use diluted baking soda and diluted vinegar, it's called the 'no poo' method:

http://www.treehugger.com/organic-beauty/would-you-ever-stop-using-shampoo.html

In my own case, my hair has demanded a carcinogenic chemical response, im gonna keep the shampoo and conditioner on hand for now.

I'm probably gonna get some of that moroccan clay. There should be an easy process to add scent to the clay, http://hennablogspot.com/how-to-use-ghassoul-rhassoul-for-soft-healthy-skin-and-hair/, according to this person you could just add drops of essential oils with the small amount of water. I'm not sure that is always a good idea as some essential oils will be irritating to skin or otherwise harmful. However, I feel comfortable saying that one would probably be safe adding one drop of chamomile, vetiver, marjorum, or bergamot essential oil as a way of scenting the mud.
There are other people who also tried blending some ghassoul into a small amount of shampoo, and they say it makes the shampoo work better.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't it Philip that did the no poo method a few years ago? I remember the thread, but not sure who started it. I remember loving the idea and wanting to try it, but never getting around to it. I think when this current bottle of shampoo runs out, I'll give it a go.

Cresselia~~

I'm moroccan and I've never heard of that. Good for you if it works tho
Maybe it is like ancient then?

Well Camellia seed powder is supposed to be traditional for Chinese people, but like 99.9% of us haven't heard of it.
I only heard of it because I'm really into environmental protection/ conservation/ being natural... those kinds of stuff.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Does it work better than regular shampoo? In what ways?

I have the unpopular desire to transcend chemophobia and stick with everything chemical, because they are literally engineered to work for the specific purpose (like when people clean their house with vinegar instead of bleach and you know that it probably isnt _really_ clean).

On a greater note, I think that chemophobia is overrated. Everything is a chemical. Just because it came from nature doesn't mean that it is any better to put on your body than "chemicals". People also came from nature, and we make things, so ymmv

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tbh if ur able to find a way of exceeding basic chemicals you should use it. That example of mixing a small amount of shampoo with ghassoul seems perfect here, because it allows you to use the basic chemicals (shampoo) and another substance to make the product more efficient.

I agree with MikeDawg that chemophobia is overrated (really it should be synthephobia cause it is in reference to synthetic compounds but w/e), but we do need to be careful with how we use them to better sustain our planet and our health.

Cresselia~~

Does it work better than regular shampoo? In what ways?

I have the unpopular desire to transcend chemophobia and stick with everything chemical, because they are literally engineered to work for the specific purpose (like when people clean their house with vinegar instead of bleach and you know that it probably isnt _really_ clean).

On a greater note, I think that chemophobia is overrated. Everything is a chemical. Just because it came from nature doesn't mean that it is any better to put on your body than "chemicals". People also came from nature, and we make things, so ymmv
It is not necessarily chemophobia, it is also about supporting organic/ natural industries because the latter reduces pollution and reduces the energy used in synthesizing chemical compounds.
I am not an anti vaxxer type of person, I do major in biology and environmental sciences, so I do talk about science.
Why do you disgust chemophobia anyway? It does no harm even when it is real.
Are they associated with anti-vaxxers in the West?
Here in the East, it's the science people who are buying natural products.
I'm disappointed and shocked at how people actually think of chemophobia when someone decides to support natural products. And this makes me very unhappy.
Even if it isn't better than shampoo, you should support some charity in your life. Don't be so selfish.
And to go to the extent to discourage people from doing good deeds?
Laugh at people who are acting nice?
It's your problem if you don't want to support charity, it's your own business. Stop discouraging people.

Besides, artificial chemicals in shampoo do harm your hair, and theycover up with adding other chemicals.

I will google the english names of said chemicals later.

But natural ghassoul and tea seed powder is really better for your hair plus supporting them is aiding a charity.

It is a bit like how I support organic farms due to the ecological protection they offer, rather than for health reasons.

------------

Edit:
Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) belongs to a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds that are commonly referred to assilicones.[1] PDMS is the most widely used silicon-based organicpolymer, and is particularly known for its unusual rheological (or flow) properties. PDMS is optically clear, and, in general, inert, non-toxic, and non-flammable. It is also called dimethicone and is one of several types of silicone oil (polymerizedsiloxane). Its applications range from contact lenses and medical devices toelastomers; it is also present in shampoos (as dimethicone makes hair shiny and slippery), food (antifoaming agent), caulking,lubricants, kinetic sand , and heat-resistant tiles.
This chemical is present in nearly all shampoos. It makes your hair feel "smooth", but is actually damaging to your hair.
The reason why your hair feels "smooth" after using these shampoos is because the compound fills the gaps of your hair.
So in reality, your hair hasn't become smoother.
Truth is, the constant filling and dissolving of this chemical onto your hair is damaging to your hair, because it widens the gaps on your hair.

When you first use natural shampoo or other natural substances to wash hair, your hair will feel less "smooth" because you are no longer applying the dimethicone onto your hair.
It takes a long while for your hair to feel smooth again, because it does take time for your hair to repair. (Your hair does not repair if you don't switch shampoo)

Last edited:
Lol, I just tried looking for my thread, but it must've been purged. RIP.

I read an article a few years back where someone stopped using soap and shampoo and reported some amazing results. Some of which included being completely acne free, having less BO, having smoother/softer skin, and getting lots of hair compliments.

I tried it myself, and while I couldn't do the no shampoo thing (I stuck it out for 2 months and decided it wasn't for me), I actually ended up really liking the no soap piece. I used to have bacne, and I noticed it disappear, my skin was less oily and felt smooth to the touch, girls actually commented on how nice I smelled, etc. I still use deodorant, but I haven't used soap on my skin (other than washing my hands) in 5 years and counting. Still feels great and I haven't noticed any negative side effects.

The premise of this all is that soap dries your skin out, and then your body tries to over-compensate by producing oils. It creates a nasty cycle of dry-skin-oily-skin, and many try to balance this by applying lotion to the skin after showering. That whole process can be cut out of your routine by just not soaping your body and simply scrubbing with water and a wash cloth. Your body normalizes after a month or so, and just produces a regular amount of oil.

Anyways, obviously this isn't for everybody. People sometimes get sketched out by it. All I can say is, it's worked for me and I won't be going back.

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this interests me. I'm probably gonna try this out when I get the time, will post thoughts here

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i use soap but not shampoo and folks dig my hair

i'm not going to post a photo tho bc im lazy i guess??? haha

Well, I don't shampoo my hair at times, but that's only due to me being half asleep in the shower. :p

In regards to the OP, I might try this method out. Sounds pretty interesting.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I read an article a few years back where someone stopped using soap and shampoo and reported some amazing results. Some of which included being completely acne free, having less BO, having smoother/softer skin, and getting lots of hair compliments.

I tried it myself, and while I couldn't do the no shampoo thing (I stuck it out for 2 months and decided it wasn't for me), I actually ended up really liking the no soap piece. I used to have bacne, and I noticed it disappear, my skin was less oily and felt smooth to the touch, girls actually commented on how nice I smelled, etc. I still use deodorant, but I haven't used soap on my skin (other than washing my hands) in 5 years and counting. Still feels great and I haven't noticed any negative side effects.

The premise of this all is that soap dries your skin out, and then your body tries to over-compensate by producing oils. It creates a nasty cycle of dry-skin-oily-skin, and many try to balance this by applying lotion to the skin after showering. That whole process can be cut out of your routine by just not soaping your body and simply scrubbing with water and a wash cloth. Your body normalizes after a month or so, and just produces a regular amount of oil.

Anyways, obviously this isn't for everybody. People sometimes get sketched out by it. All I can say is, it's worked for me and I won't be going back.
After hearing Phill out, I tried the no soap thing and it worked out for me too-- your skin just feels less oily. It even was working fine when living in China (where my nails were always blue from the pollution collecting on/around them). My skin was fine.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

What do you use instead of soap?

I was just skimming over this thread until I noticed the possibility of acne removal lol

My question is will a method like this work for somebody has excess oils regardless of if they wash or not. I was in a plane recently where I didn't wash my face with anything but water for 40 hours or so and by the time I started re-applying my shit tons of anti acne cream my face looked like pepperoni. I'll try not using soap only on my back and shoulders for a couple of days and report back with results.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I was just skimming over this thread until I noticed the possibility of acne removal lol

My question is will a method like this work for somebody has excess oils regardless of if they wash or not. I was in a plane recently where I didn't wash my face with anything but water for 40 hours or so and by the time I started re-applying my shit tons of anti acne cream my face looked like pepperoni. I'll try not using soap only on my back and shoulders for a couple of days and report back with results.
40 hours falls perfectly within the honeymoon period of your body flippin shit after changing a routine. I wouldn't take that as indicative of your future progress :)

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also, does it not smell, or do you have to put something in it to make it smell fresher?
i don't put anything in it; just rinse it thoroughly in the shower everyday etc

doesn't smell, not greasy and gross!!

I haven't used shampoo for over two years and my hair feels better than before. it used to be thin/silky and now it's thicker (and it doesn't smell and it's not greasy). I wash it with just water like az. thought about using some cleansing conditioners a few times but this seems to be working just fine (maybe in the future though)

actually this started because of phil. I was traveling through Europe and it was a hassle to keep getting shampoo every day, then I remembered that phil tried nopoo a few years back and didn't go insane, so I decided to try it. the first few weeks were a little rough but after that it's flowers and unicorns

It legitimately takes 2-4 weeks for you body to adjust, not 40hrs. If you can tough it out, great. If not, don't bother. Also don't try to compensate by washing your face with water more frequently. The point is for your body to be like "okay, we're producing way too much oil here" and dial it back. Just shower once a day and wash your face with water and a wash cloth. Same with the rest of your body. Should be good to go. I still use deodorant, FYI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)