The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
here's a few i like

Horimiya <- romcom
ReLife <- doesn't really focus on romance too much in the beginning, but its worth it trust me
Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! <- romCOMEDY
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan <- no comedy, dramatic romance

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yo can anyone recommend me different romance / romcom mangas to read?

Currently I've caught up on:

Last Game - A little rich kid who is good at everything meets a plain girl who happens to be better than him at everything and ends up falling in love with her. She falls in love with him but they don't realize it ever. I liked it a lot, the interactions were pretty cute

Masamune-kun no revenge - This was ok, its about a guy who used to be fat and tried to confess to a really popular girl as a kid. She rejected him and it humiliated him so he trained and worked hard to be super attractive to win the girls heart to get revenge on her

Minamoto-kun Monogatari - i thought it was fairly decent, but its pretty ecchi. Guy got bullied as a kid for having a really pretty face so he has a fear of women, his aunt tries to help him get rid of the fear of women by forcing him into her experiments on love. Basically every female character is meant to be a sex icon

Nozoki Ana - this one was REALLY good, although a little ecchi as well. A guy learns that in his apartment theres a peephole where the girl next door spies on him every day, and ends up blackmailing him. Starts off really smutty but turns into a good romance.

I don't really mind ecchi stuff, but I'd rather not just read straight smut manga, and I don't really like things like kissxsis. I much prefer just the classic romance stuff. Any suggestions?

Bokura Wa Minna Kawaisou: very similar to Sakurasou anime, but more adult-like. There are a lot of great moments.

Koi To Uso: Basically imagine if the government was a match-making service with your future spouse pre-determined. Then imagine if you had a person you liked other than the one the government matched you up with. This is that kind of manga.

Wagatsuma-San Wa Ore No Yome: A masterpiece imo. Basically a total loser gets random dreams that are prophetic-like in nature, showing Wagatsuma - the most prettiest girl in school - as his future spouse. He in turn, starts to do everything in his power to gain her love. The fun in this manga is in the many tropes and jokes it panders with (various cultural, movie, tv show, etc references). The supporting cast is really great as well, which makes this manga a gem.

I don't have any others I'm really reading atm that I like that are romcoms (I read mostly horror, murder mystery, protag stuck in a fantasy/game world - yeah I know).

Otherwise, if you don't mind Manhwa, "Looking for a Father" is good.

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
what should i know about watching gintama, this show has been endlessly hyped so if its not literally perfect ill be sad :^)

what should i know about watching gintama, this show has been endlessly hyped so if its not literally perfect ill be sad :^)
I've seen like two episodes... It's an episodic comedy with some overarching plotline that isn't important. It's anime-comedy, so some things will be funny but a lot of it is just exaggerated voice acting. My two cents, I guess, before someone who actually watches it pitches in.

apparently the first two episodes can and should be skipped if you've never read the manga? i'm not 100% sure why but the "proper" start is episode 3 for viewers completely new to the series

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's a hit-and-miss kind of a deal. Very culturally specific humour at times so either you'll find it funny as fuck or you'll not get it at all...

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The final episode of The Asterisk War aired earlier today. Potential spoiler alert for anyone who's not seen it all yet, so don't read the rest of this post if you don't want to know anything about the episode or series (not written it yet so idk if there will be any, so playing it safe).
I was entertained by the series and will watch season two, but i felt that there is missed potential tbh the development of the characters could have been a lot better, although that isn't really anything that I ever really mind in anime, and it felt like the plot was mostly one-directional, without much going on outside of training and the odd interaction or two. The antagonist feels undetermined, with it hinting at allekant gakuen being the key antagonist while still hinting at one or two other potential candidates, although this may just be because of the nature of the light novel so i'll probably let that one slide. However, don't know why they ended the season before showing Todou and Sasamiya's fourth round match or at least revealing its result. This is not something that can be layed onto the light novel, and while it seems minor it just makes it feel like the season ended ten minutes earlier than it should have. Also we got that prelude at the start of the series that we haven't really been given any development on other than that it was Ayato's sister. I think it would have been better to run the season as 24 episodes so that this prelude wasn't completely in the dark.

However, I feel that beyond these knitpicks the season was pretty good. Generally speaking I dont mind this sort of thing so it doesn't really impact my opinion of the what we've got so far, and it was entertaining enough for me to get plenty of enjoyment out of it despite flaws like this.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
rakudai was weirdly really good IMO, the animation was super high quality (especially in the last 2 episdes) and i found myself loving the MCs

why does asterisk get s2 and this doesnt, anime fans love their battle harems and they love their bad ones even more i guess.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
rakudai was weirdly really good IMO, the animation was super high quality (especially in the last 2 episdes) and i found myself loving the MCs

why does asterisk get s2 and this doesnt, anime fans love their battle harems and they love their bad ones even more i guess.
I'll prolly watch it cause it sounds better. S2 on asterisk was prolly just due to the light novel tbh, although idk why they didn't just do a 24 episode season to account for it tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)