Accessing Showdown with a proxy?

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Showdown actively blocks proxies (including Tor) because spammers love to use them to evade bans.... But hey if you can get on Smogon try your luck with PS! anyways.

Cloud_Motion

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Well, I can get on YouTube, Facebook and every over task used for procrastination. But no Showdown... siiiigh.

Do you have a computer not connected to your college's restricted network somewhere? For example, at your home or dorm. If so, you could set up a VPN on this other computer and connect to it via the college network, assuming your college doesn't block your home IP. Here's an example of setting up a VPN on Windows 7. I'm not sure what operating system you'd run at home, but the steps are similar for later Windows versions. Other operating systems, especially open ones like Linux, would have free solutions as well.

As a bonus, you can use the VPN when accessing public Wi-Fi networks to encrypt your data. A nefarious individual can use public Wi-Fi spots to sniff unencrypted data, and too many websites have poor or non-existent HTTPS support, which means your password on these sites would be transmitted as plain-text.

Doesn't stop the NSA, or even your home ISP, but it will bypass your college's network (assuming you can connect to the VPN).

You can try a browser extension like ZenMate. You'll still be able to play, but you'll be locked from chatting and PMing (except for moderators I think?).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)