Applying to college

May the odds ever be in your favor.

If it's any consolation to you Harvard applicants, I'm predicting a 0.44% increase in admission percentages.

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
Hey for people thinking about Hopkins, it's a very hard school to do well at compared to its peers, so if you think your GPA will actually matter (like if you want to apply to med or law school), then you might be better off going to a school of similar caliber that grades a bit easier (think Brown). Just food for thought.

As for public health, a bachelors in public health won't really let you do anything. Hopkins has the best public health school in the country and one of the best med schools too, but you can get into their MPH program from any top school as long as your GPA is okay (3.6+ is nearly a lock, but that's hard to hit at Hopkins undergrad) and your GRE is above average (which isn't hard). Hopkins med is a crapshoot even if you're coming from Harvard, so don't go to Hopkins undergrad just to try to get into Hopkins med. Hopkins also has a reputation for being cutthroat (though I'm sure it's at least slightly exaggerated and probably depends on what you're doing ie premed vs like history or something).

If anyone is considering going into a healthcare field and wants advice, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the field, particularly from an admissions standpoint, and I can help you target specific undergrads that will align well with your goals.
This contradict a lot of what professors and panel people said about graduate school admissions at my uni. If your school has notorious grade inflation and a less-than-stellar student body—Brown and Columbia are the obvious two—then the standard 3.6 cut-off is thrown out with the expectation being closer to 3.8-3.9 with A+ beyond refactored as counted as a 4.0 rather than 4.33. Graduate schools know that it is much harder to keep a decent GPA at Caltech, UChicago, JHU and Princeton than to do so at some peer schools. Med schools may have hard cut-offs, but graduate schools in most other disciplines don't. Further, grades are a tiny part of what matters. Recommendation letters and journal / conferences publications are far more important for PhD programs.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I'm so lost on how to write for my essay prompt. I've gone through at least three drafts, and all of them have turned out terrible. Any writing tips would be greatly appreciated. The prompt is: "Please tell us about the particular life experiences, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring specifically to our campus that will enrich our community".
It is never going to get easier to write it, so there is no point in putting it off. Get something down (loooks like you have been good with this), and if you arent feeling it, scrap it! Once you found a good idea, revise it until you are proud of it.

For this essay in particular, don't write about your desires or passions. Write about things that you have DONE! Your actions should tell the story of what you are "passionate" (what an awful word) about, while simultaneously offering proof of that. If you don't have anything noteworthy, start SOMETHING (really can be any kind of project related to what you want to major in or something you enjoy doing hobby-wise). It can be shitty as long as you fabricate it well enough in your essay (ie. Lots of specifics and very obvious implications of how that defines you as a person).

Last edited:

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
This contradict a lot of what professors and panel people said about graduate school admissions at my uni. If your school has notorious grade inflation and a less-than-stellar student body—Brown and Columbia are the obvious two—then the standard 3.6 cut-off is thrown out with the expectation being closer to 3.8-3.9 with A+ beyond refactored as counted as a 4.0 rather than 4.33. Graduate schools know that it is much harder to keep a decent GPA at Caltech, UChicago, JHU and Princeton than to do so at some peer schools. Med schools may have hard cut-offs, but graduate schools in most other disciplines don't. Further, grades are a tiny part of what matters. Recommendation letters and journal / conferences publications are far more important for PhD programs.
1. Yes, your GPA is somewhat undergrad dependent and will be contextualized, but it will not excuse poor performance, and the extent to which school name makes up for a slightly lower GPA does not have a consensus and has been discussed ad nauseam on other areas of the internet (PM me if you are really interested in these discussions and I'll find some for you).

2. Yes, A+ counts as 4.0, not 4.33. I have not heard of rampant grade inflation at Columbia (Brown and Yale, yes, Columbia I've always thought was in the middle), but you're a student there, so you probably know better than me.

3. Med schools don't have hard cutoffs actually, but they are by far the most stats driven graduate school (except for top-tier law). For masters programs, it's generally do you have decent stats? Do you have a decent essay and decent recs? Then you're good. For PhD, if you want to go to a good lab at a solid institution, yes, recs, publications, connections mean a lot more, absolutely. I am a medical student, so the bulk of my expertise will be with medical school admissions, but I'm somewhat familiar with admissions for other health-related fields as well.

4. In general, med school admissions are an entirely different beast than MS/PhD/MPH programs, but there are some similarities, so it's important to specify which you're talking about (not directed at you - just this conversation in general).

Sorry, I think I'm lacking in reading comprehension here, but can you tell me what's contradictory about what your advisors have said vs. what I've said? I mean this 100% non-sarcastically (if there was any confusion).

1. Yes, your GPA is somewhat undergrad dependent and will be contextualized, but it will not excuse poor performance, and the extent to which school name makes up for a slightly lower GPA does not have a consensus and has been discussed ad nauseam on other areas of the internet (PM me if you are really interested in these discussions and I'll find some for you).

2. Yes, A+ counts as 4.0, not 4.33. I have not heard of rampant grade inflation at Columbia (Brown and Yale, yes, Columbia I've always thought was in the middle), but you're a student there, so you probably know better than me.

3. Med schools don't have hard cutoffs actually, but they are by far the most stats driven graduate school (except for top-tier law). For masters programs, it's generally do you have decent stats? Do you have a decent essay and decent recs? Then you're good. For PhD, if you want to go to a good lab at a solid institution, yes, recs, publications, connections mean a lot more, absolutely. I am a medical student, so the bulk of my expertise will be with medical school admissions, but I'm somewhat familiar with admissions for other health-related fields as well.

4. In general, med school admissions are an entirely different beast than MS/PhD/MPH programs, but there are some similarities, so it's important to specify which you're talking about (not directed at you - just this conversation in general).

Sorry, I think I'm lacking in reading comprehension here, but can you tell me what's contradictory about what your advisors have said vs. what I've said? I mean this 100% non-sarcastically (if there was any confusion).
What about MD/PhD combined degrees?

The Kitty Cat

Banned deucer.
The issue is that going to a school with easier grading to improve chances of getting into graduate schools is a terrible idea because grades are viewed relatively so long as you go to a well-known school. My other point was that the magic 3.6+ number that many people throw around is rubbish.

What about MD/PhD combined degrees?
I had this in mind when writing that post. I really don't know how admissions works for MD/PhD, but I know research experience is important.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
The issue is that going to a school with easier grading to improve chances of getting into graduate schools is a terrible idea because grades are viewed relatively so long as you go to a well-known school. My other point was that the magic 3.6+ number that many people throw around is rubbish.
They're somewhat viewed relatively, but how that relativity works is not always clear, and no one can say whether a 3.5 from Hopkins or a 3.9 from Brown is stronger. When in doubt, if you know you want to do something (say, medical school), go to the school that has the best track record for that particular thing (assuming you have a choice). 3.6+ was for MPH only and was an arbitrary ballpark number. For medical school, it's a whole host of other factors, and GPA is a "necessary but not anywhere near sufficient" component. Also no one is going to look at a 4.0 from Brown and be like "he went to an easy school so that 4.0 doesn't matter". If they only have a 30 (yes I know its scored out of 528 now - this is around a 509 on the new test) MCAT and got a 4.0 at Brown, then yeah, maybe someone's going to be like "wtf is going on here", but if that 4.0 is backed up by a monster 38 (521 new) or something, no one is going to care that the 4.0 is from an easy school. That's the main reason the MCAT exists - to provide something that is standardized to give context to something that is inherently unstandardized. If you go to Hopkins and do BME and get like a 3.3 or something, but you then get a 40 (522ish) MCAT, they're probably gonna be like "damn okay this kid is pro and his GPA doesn't tell the whole story". However, if you do the same thing and get a 31 they're gonna be like "uhhhh there isn't really anything here that's saying this kid is strong academically, let's come back later maybe". So there's a whole mess of things to worry about and yes GPA doesn't exist in a vacuum, so you can't just say school A 3.3 = school B 3.8 and have them be the same all else being equal because all else will never ever ever be equal.

My general advice for people that need a high GPA for something is as follows:

1) go to a well-regarded school that you like and think you will be happy at
2) go to a school that isn't going to kick your ass (so unless you're literally one of the smartest kids ever, generally avoid WashU, UChicago, Hopkins if you have a choice between them and other comparable schools with good track records of getting people where you wanna go)
3) go to a cheaper school if money is an issue or if you're going to be in debt forever because med school loans suck (this can either mean your state school or a scholarship to a strong private school)
4) Don't get too hung up on which school is easier, but understand that some schools are harder to get a higher GPA at than others and you don't want to make things harder for yourself than they have to be unless you have a very good reason to

I had this in mind when writing that post. I really don't know how admissions works for MD/PhD, but I know research experience is important.
MD/PhD is even harder than MD alone. Median stats for MD alone is 3.7/31 while for MD/PhD they're closer to 3.8/34 - an enormous jump. The most competitive applicants for top MD or MD/PhD programs will generally have 3.8+/37+. Research experience is also important, but you just have to show familiarity and understanding - productivity, while valued, is not an absolute necessity.

These are good things to talk about and consider if you want to go into medicine, but they are not the end-all-be-all. Just things you need to keep in mind.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Wanted to post an update saying I got accepted to one of the three schools I applied to; the University of Wisconsin: Oshkosh. Still waiting to hear from Steven's Point and Eau Claire, but I'm super excited nonetheless!

So I guess this is a good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from their school of choice, I believe in all of you!

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If anyone's interested, so far I've heard back from four of the five unis I've applied to: UCL and Warwick have both offered me AAB, Exeter AAA, and I have an interview at Cambridge in the second week of December. Just waiting on Durham, who tend to be late responders so I've heard. Either way, UCL's my second choice and I'm not going to get an offer with lower grades than theirs from Durham, so it's now either UCL or Cambridge. If Cambridge reject me, I'll definitely be going to UCL in other words, since it's the joint lowest grades-wise and you can't choose a backup choice with the same/higher grades as your offer. Just hope I don't fuck up the interview

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wanted to post an update saying I got accepted to one of the three schools I applied to; the University of Wisconsin: Oshkosh. Still waiting to hear from Steven's Point and Eau Claire, but I'm super excited nonetheless!

So I guess this is a good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from their school of choice, I believe in all of you!
hi, i go to point and its really good if you are into natural resources. Oshkosh is lame and only go there if you like getting wasted.

Magnemite is a freshmen at eau claire so he can tell you about it

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Had a college visit at MICA today and it was really hype, the campus is integrated into the city and everything looks so awesome wow

Letter of recomendation request from Berkeley....any insights people? Is this for those on the fence? The finalist pool? Rejected kids given a second chance?

They're playing it real smart - applicants with a range of stats have gotten the request, so it's very hard to spot patterns here.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Letter of recomendation request from Berkeley....any insights people? Is this for those on the fence? The finalist pool? Rejected kids given a second chance?

They're playing it real smart - applicants with a range of stats have gotten the request, so it's very hard to spot patterns here.
It means they want to take you, but they aren't convinced that you are who you say you are on your application.
It's quite common in an age where for example tryhards go to like some community shelter for a few weeks and then write about how "lifetime of social service has changed their perspective of life to be holistic and empathic" and shit like that (that example wasn't made up)

It's either that or they want to thin out the field more.

Get a hold of the high school teacher who liked you the best, doesn't matter what subjects he or she taught and just ask them to write an honest assessment, it would marginally help if the teacher was from/could comment on your potential in your applied course.

Just go for it. It's not like you have anything to lose.

Asek

Banned deucer.
idk how relevant this is to this thread, but any aussies here get their ATAR's and as such know their uni fates today? I know of a few smogoners who are around my age and live over here, surely some of you got some good news today! As for myself I got the score I needed to get a guarenteed spot at Melbourne uni, which is all that I could of asked for.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
i went to rutgers solely because of price and made a huge mistake..
So I was just browsing through this because I'm almost done with my college applications, and I saw this post. I applied to Rutgers (though not my top choice). Just wondering, what made it a huge mistake?

henry

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
idk how relevant this is to this thread, but any aussies here get their ATAR's and as such know their uni fates today? I know of a few smogoners who are around my age and live over here, surely some of you got some good news today! As for myself I got the score I needed to get a guarenteed spot at Melbourne uni, which is all that I could of asked for.
oi what are you planning to study? i'll buy you a beer sometime

Asek

Banned deucer.
oi what are you planning to study? i'll buy you a beer sometime
Arts (no bully) for my undergraduate, wanted to do commerce but I didn't do maths methods for the prerequisite subjects. Might try switch across bit I'll see how I enjoy arts, still trying to decide what to major in but leaning towards one of the asian languages on offer. My end goal is to do well enough in my undergraduate to get into the melbourne law school for my graduate course, but thats a fair while away from now so who knows what I'll be thinking when that time comes. How is melbourne as a campus btw? IIRC you were studying something to do with health (my gut says oral health), and I've never gotten a chance to visit the campus (live too far away), mainly going there for its rep as I know practically nothing about the campus atmosphere.

And I'll definitely hit you up for a beer :)

Congrats, Asek! Hope that's a big relief for you. :D If Melbourne offers it, I'd suggest taking remedial math, since you're considering switching across; any school that offers remedial math lets it be used as a prerequisite towards units that require high school math pretty much almost all the time. I took remedial math at my old school so I could do a Bachelor of Science, used it as prerequisite for the first-year math unit, then ended up a dual mathematics major lol. Can't hurt too badly to try. And in that spirit I hope your Arts degree works out, there's a lot of possibility in a BA! You could always do a joint degree if you end up wanting to do commerce again, just about everything is offered as a joint degree with a BA these days lol. Good luck at school and getting into law or whatever catches your eye.

Also if you're relocating and haven't done so already, before you go off to enjoy your freedom, def recommend looking into accommodation first, because you should know where you're going now right. Its about this time of year all the year 12 leavers start applying or registering intent to, 'cause they know their ATAR, and then returning students will have locked down their contracts. A lot of schools don't start formal intake until January but might accept applications. My current school just ran out of the non-$$$$$$ accommodation. We live in a rural area and my brother couldnt get student accommodation his first year and had to go live somewhere kinda random with people twice his age because he left it too late. Even if its not on-campus and you plan to just room with students or something.

I already accepted an offer awhile ago 'cause I'm transferring from my old university but I recently got awarded $15k p.a. (i.e. doubling my annual income) in residential scholarships which is pretty rad. Especially since I'll be living in Sydney and need every cent lmao. Just doing paperwork now like getting registered with the disability services, applying for prior recognition learning, accommodation stuff, and getting ready to move.

Props on your hard work and enjoy your holiday \o/

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Arts (no bully) for my undergraduate, wanted to do commerce but I didn't do maths methods for the prerequisite subjects. Might try switch across bit I'll see how I enjoy arts, still trying to decide what to major in but leaning towards one of the asian languages on offer. My end goal is to do well enough in my undergraduate to get into the melbourne law school for my graduate course, but thats a fair while away from now so who knows what I'll be thinking when that time comes. How is melbourne as a campus btw? IIRC you were studying something to do with health (my gut says oral health), and I've never gotten a chance to visit the campus (live too far away), mainly going there for its rep as I know practically nothing about the campus atmosphere.

And I'll definitely hit you up for a beer :)
melbourne's a beautiful campus, tons of parks and nice gardens around, a few good cafes and bars, and really close to the city and nice places to go out. i live at home so i can't really comment on accomodation. i really like it but i mostly chose the university because i used to live nearby.

i'm actually a physical chemist, graduated with a bachelor of science with honours yesterday, and got a phd offer with a government scholarship today to start next year. watch out for the student portal though: i'm trying to reenrol in the new degree and it keeps freezing up.

Congrats, Asek! Hope that's a big relief for you. :D If Melbourne offers it, I'd suggest taking remedial math, since you're considering switching across; any school that offers remedial math lets it be used as a prerequisite towards units that require high school math pretty much almost all the time. I took remedial math at my old school so I could do a Bachelor of Science, used it as prerequisite for the first-year math unit, then ended up a dual mathematics major lol. Can't hurt too badly to try. And in that spirit I hope your Arts degree works out, there's a lot of possibility in a BA! You could always do a joint degree if you end up wanting to do commerce again, just about everything is offered as a joint degree with a BA these days lol. Good luck at school and getting into law or whatever catches your eye.

Also if you're relocating and haven't done so already, before you go off to enjoy your freedom, def recommend looking into accommodation first, because you should know where you're going now right. Its about this time of year all the year 12 leavers start applying or registering intent to, 'cause they know their ATAR, and then returning students will have locked down their contracts. A lot of schools don't start formal intake until January but might accept applications. My current school just ran out of the non-$$$$$$ accommodation. We live in a rural area and my brother couldnt get student accommodation his first year and had to go live somewhere kinda random with people twice his age because he left it too late. Even if its not on-campus and you plan to just room with students or something.

I already accepted an offer awhile ago 'cause I'm transferring from my old university but I recently got awarded $15k p.a. (i.e. doubling my annual income) in residential scholarships which is pretty rad. Especially since I'll be living in Sydney and need every cent lmao. Just doing paperwork now like getting registered with the disability services, applying for prior recognition learning, accommodation stuff, and getting ready to move.

Props on your hard work and enjoy your holiday \o/
Congrats Jumpluff - that is an awesome scholarship. Which Uni arr you going to?

Congrats Jumpluff - that is an awesome scholarship. Which Uni arr you going to?
Thanks Chaser ^^! Macquarie. I did get offered to UQ if you're wondering but preferred to be in Sydney / wanted the security of not having to wait for December/January to know where I'd be moving. Plus it might be easier to perform to pick where I iike for a Masters/PhD (Brain institute still the goal) at a school that isn't as quite as competitive as UQ in bio

edit: congrats michael, hopefully I'll be catching up to you in a few years. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)