Super Mystery Dungeon (Spoilers abound!)

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Team Pokepals: According to the description, the TMs with rainbow glows mean that they're infinite-use, compared to single-use TMs.

Sitrus Berries increase maximum HP by 5 in this game. Life Seeds also boost HP.

A trick that carries over from previous PMD titles is to throw stat-boosting items through allies while wearing a Water Looplet or holding a Piercing Throw emera. You can get multiple stat boosts for the price of one. :)

--

I'm currently at 100% completion for Connections and Dungeons, and I've updated my post on the previous page about how I tackled certain bosses and dungeons. It was a pseudo-challenge for me to not use any stat-boosting items--not that I would recommend that for a 'fun' playthrough. The short version of how I got through half of the bosses/dungeons is by relying on the Ally Reviver emera. :U

I will say, though, if you want to be efficient with boosting stats, I'd look to Pokemon with certain movesets. Pokemon that use multi-hit moves or have a range of spread moves can increase DPT much more than standard single-hit moves, regardless of the power in the description. It's a bit sad to say that my starters got no love when I needed raw damage for harder dungeons. :P

So atm, I have like 250 Gold Bars, and I've used some to boost my attack and my partner's attack/special attack via Protein and Calcium. Do you recommend spending 100+ Gold Bars to power up my mons more? My Infernape currently has about 120 attack (150+ with the Wildfire Looplet) and my Sceptile has 118 Special Attack. How many Gold Bars would you recommend keeping?

Also, I realized you can trade in 100 of an item for a Gold Bar, so go get rid of Gravelrocks for a Gold Bar :)

Have you guys noticed that around some TM's, there's a rainbow type glow around the CD image? Does anyone know what that means?

Psynergy how did you get so much HP, and how do the power drinks and the other drinks work out? I got a couple but don't know how they work out. Also, does the Sitrus Berry work like it did in previous games and boost your HP by 2 permanently, or is there another item that does that?
Those multi use TMs also appear in Kecleon shops in some dungeon's last floors, I only know of 1 location that's a near guarantee for at least 1 per said shop room, Super Apple Forest, from what I can remember they appear around floor 14-15 and cost 0-4k P I say 0 because it's surprisingly slightly easier to steal in this game. Here's a very, very short guide on how to steal like a burglar....with teleporting powers. Note, due to how hard to find one of these items is I only recommend using this strategy on times where you don't have enough P to buy everything/it costs more than 2k P to buy everything.
Plan your heist in advance and always be prepared to pull off another one every time you go to a dungeon, there are 30 items you should always have on you that I can't remember exactly but I'll try to list them here:
3 decent looplets for your team
.75 a stack of throwing spikes/pointy stabby things as they not only do pretty good damage but also can hit your enemy if you're confused without risking hurting your team mates unless they're blocking your path to the enemy.
2 big apples (more might be needed as the most floors I've been through post game have had only about 20 floors or so, but 2 is all you need for sub 20 floor dungeons)
3 oran berries
1 pecha berry because poison is much more common than burn and it is always good to just have 1 on you at all times
4 tiny/non tiny reviver seeds
1 pure seed (this is the main key to pulling off a heist)
1 escape orb you never know when something will screw you over so hard that you need to use this
1 revive all orb
2 petrify orbs unless something like Weather makes your foes get hurt thus freeing them of the status condition, or Arceus forbid an opponent uses Agility on a previously stunned monster house it's pretty much surround the opponent with your team to activate them as you slaughter them one by one. These are so freaking amazing they trivialize the "stop X pokemon before C group of opponents gets them" missions that are quite rare, or just stops any and all monster houses unless the above conditions are met. It honestly makes those missions a joke because they become "walk over to the pokemon at the back of the room and beat the crap out of them while the other enemy pokemon do NOTHING" missions. You want 2 because if you encounter a monster house/2 and don't have 2 pokemon with attacks that hit every opponent and not your team you're basically going to seriously cry and regret that you did not bring 2 to that dungeon that game day.
5 Whirlwind wands these are rarely needed but do come in handy when you desperately just need 2 turns to get an elixir in you. These are also AWESOME when you're facing a boss that can only hit you at close range and you spam ranged attacks/attacks that have a better range than they do.
5 Warp wands See whirlwind wands but can teleport groups of enemies away with one wave and use
5 Petrify wands It's good to have these as Kecleon can now be effected by status conditions (you can't escape orb away though) and if you bring enough/bring enough stay away wands (which are harder to get and thus can be substituted for petrify wands and warp wands separately as you tend to only need one or the other) you could basically teleport and stun every Kecleon you come across, WARNING THEY ALWAYS HAVE DOUBLE SPEED THOUGH!.

To continue on planning ahead for a heist, if you don't have ally revive on you, which is a SUPER rare drop in Super Apple Forest, or if even if you do make sure you put your team mates in a room far away from the stairs and store you're about to rob and have their tactics set to "wait there" (once the store security is activated Kecleon will spawn by your allies and could thus block the stairs) then go to the shop take all of the items on the carpet (once you've stolen something and have walked away you'll be chased by what are essentially biological Store Security terminators so if you're going to take something without paying for it, take EVERYTHING without paying for it), walk away until the shop keeper says something like "HELP! THIEF!" and then likely kills you once, get revived with a reviver seed and then whatever you do next EAT THE PURE SEED then run like hell to the stairs and if you encounter any bio terminator security either use the Petrify orb if you can't reach them with a Petrify wand but they will reach YOU in two of their very quick moves, and once you're on the next floor you're entirely safe from any terminators etc.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I disagree. Stealing in this game is much harder than past games, specifically due to the Kecleon spawn points near the stairs + Trawl Orb no longer being relevant when it comes to pulling heists. Additionally, I found an... annoyance while scaling Stone Tree Mountain. I picked up all items I wanted to buy, made my way to the nearest hallway to leave the shop, paid for them, picked up the item that was underneath me, made one step out of the shop and BAM thief. Worst thing that forced me to restart the trek on the 44 floor dungeon. I've honestly found it much easier to simply pay for what Kecleon offers, as money is really easy to come by in this game and his item choices are really solid - there's an emphasis on reviver seeds, apples, and elixirs.

Heal Seeds > Pecha Berry as they heal all status (including the anomalies that aren't normally considered statuses in normal Pokemon games).

I will say, though, if you want to be efficient with boosting stats, I'd look to Pokemon with certain movesets. Pokemon that use multi-hit moves or have a range of spread moves can increase DPT much more than standard single-hit moves, regardless of the power in the description. It's a bit sad to say that my starters got no love when I needed raw damage for harder dungeons. :P
I don't have a main party. I cycle through 30 Pokemon that have spread moves. They are just insanely good moves in this game and their range is absolutely deceptive in hallways, and giving them up is just impossible in my opinion. Notable members go to Glaciate + Earth Power + Draco Meteor Kyurem, Silver Wind + Heat Wave Volcarona, and Type Bulldozer Petal Blizzard Meganium for just being nukes in dungeons. My starters were easily left on the wayside over them.

I disagree. Stealing in this game is much harder than past games, specifically due to the Kecleon spawn points near the stairs + Trawl Orb no longer being relevant when it comes to pulling heists. Additionally, I found an... annoyance while scaling Stone Tree Mountain. I picked up all items I wanted to buy, made my way to the nearest hallway to leave the shop, paid for them, picked up the item that was underneath me, made one step out of the shop and BAM thief. Worst thing that forced me to restart the trek on the 44 floor dungeon. I've honestly found it much easier to simply pay for what Kecleon offers, as money is really easy to come by in this game and his item choices are really solid - there's an emphasis on reviver seeds, apples, and elixirs.

Heal Seeds > Pecha Berry as they heal all status (including the anomalies that aren't normally considered statuses in normal Pokemon games).

I don't have a main party. I cycle through 30 Pokemon that have spread moves. They are just insanely good moves in this game and their range is absolutely deceptive in hallways, and giving them up is just impossible in my opinion. Notable members go to Glaciate + Earth Power + Draco Meteor Kyurem, Silver Wind + Heat Wave Volcarona, and Type Bulldozer Petal Blizzard Meganium for just being nukes in dungeons. My starters were easily left on the wayside over them.
This is why I always have a pure seed on me whenever I go into a dungeon.

I like getting 3 Gastrodons with Muddy Water and Storm Drain. The other 2 gastrodons will spam muddy water and power you up. Add blizzard and earth power and you will have a great combo.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I brought that combo to the Kyogre dungeon without stat boosts and got promptly destroyed mid dungeon by Double Slap Alomomola. It's really fun though.

I did Destiny Tower! Apologies for shit quality, I was hyped when I finished.

http://imgur.com/iDsAmBb.png

http://imgur.com/7xhv7eM.png

Here's the proof I guess.

http://imgur.com/fzRqFbD.png

The Pokemon I did it with. I'm setting a record for lowest stats ever. I didn't want to waste my time or gold bars boosting mons I -thought- would do well in theory.

http://imgur.com/RP8et2r.png

Silver medal! Missing a few treasures and dungeons so I'll be working on those.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I used Pure Seed + Tiny Reviver Seeds + Slumber Orb for the one time I decided to steal from a Kecleon Shop. I would've used a Petrify Orb if I had one. The changes they made to stealing caught me off guard, but it was an experience in improvisation. Money comes easily enough in the game that you can pay for those shiny TMs, so I usually bring enough Poke for that. It saves a few item's worth of space, too, in your bag.

I've tried out Pokemon with spread moves as teammates, but they tend to spam their spread moves all in the first few levels of a dungeon instead of when I need them. It's a bit of a hassle to toggle their tactics or movesets, so I go with multi-hit/long-range users.

Is Arceus affected by Soak in this game? I guess that could be an obscure utility for Judgment. Otherwise, it does seem like a gameplay artifact.

Do you have any suggestions for farming Gold Bars? I'm currently doing runs at Mysterious Geoglyph and am not sure if there's a better way.

Hm, I don't know if you finished it, but can't you just complete quests to reach a certain rank until you reach the final rank. You get rewarded with lots of Gold Bars so they can be useful for some purposes. Idk why I'm stupid enough to use them on Reviver Seeds, but at least it's the best way to farm Gold Bars if you hadn't finished all quests. Another way to farm Gold Bars would be trying to detect dungeons where Gold Bars are more likely going to be found in ( though the chances of getting one is rare).

Also, what rank do we need to have to receive quests from Legendary pokemon? Cuz I am in the Gold Rank, and the only quest that I got from a legendary is just a quest from Mesprit.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
Sundar: I mentioned above that I 100% the game, implying I got to Grand Master Rank. There's no place for me to get more Gold Bars besides dungeon-trekking.

As for legendary Pokemon, Serebii has a list of how legendaries unlock. It's not completely accurate--I think it's mixing up Master and Grand Master rank for some--but it should suffice.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Quanyails I believe there are specific dungeons that have a higher spawn rate for Gold Bars (I believe Super Apple Forest has a high rate spawning from the 6th floor and above, with a high chance of spawning a rainbow tm shop on the last floor). Money wise I know Hidden Cave has the highest net poke spawn rate in the game.

Soak doesn't work on Arceus in the main games so I doubt it works here. Even if it did, it is so hilariously situational. Kinda disappointed there's no randomized forme changing or anything.

Sundar You may not see much initially, but keep in mind that a lot of legendaries connect through one another. It'll make sense as you go along and rank up - for reference, the last rank only opens up Zygarde and Yveltal. Definitely use Serebii to keep track as it's to your advantage to unlock powerful legends quickly if you don't want to abuse stat boosts.

Uxie is only accessible after you beat Mesprit's dungeon, and the same goes for Azelf after you beat Uxie's dungeon. Somewhere along the line, Diancie opens up. Likewise, Articuno must be done first before the other birds.

Some legends like Victini and Shaymin are simply walking and talking to them in a town connects.

Last edited:
So, is this game worth picking up?
Is it good like Time/Darkness/Sky, or is it simply a joke like the last Mystery Dungeon we got?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
So, is this game worth picking up?
Is it good like Time/Darkness/Sky, or is it simply a joke like the last Mystery Dungeon we got?
I pretty much summed it up here:

If you've played the 1st 2 PMD games (Red/Blue and Time/Dark/Sky) and enjoyed them (especially for their plot) then you'll like PSMD. It's got a really good plot story, there's a lot of references to mons from the previous game, including Team ACT (Alakazam-Charizard-Tyranitar) from Red/Blue, and The Guild Members from Time/Dark/Sky. It's a bit different thanks to Gates to Infinity with the moves leveling up system, but it's still pretty cool no doubt. Leveling up is stupid because it's extremely slow, the floors feel longer so you're forced to actually bring Elixirs, but overall it's pretty fun.

Pros
  • Deep Plot
  • References to Previous Games
  • It's not Gates to Infinity
  • The Save System lets you go back to your last save spot when you lose in a dungeon, meaning you can "go back in time" and not lose anything
  • Nice graphics

Cons
  • This game is really hard (It's possible to lose in nearly every dungeon if you're not careful)
  • The dungeons don't feel memorable with the mons in them and the music. In previous games (namely the 1st 2 games with Red/Blue and Time/Dark/Sky), a lot of people including myself basically have dungeons memorized in terms of how many floors, what mons to expect, and the theme song for that dungeon. There's really none of that barring the floor count in this game.
  • Story starts out pretty slow, and post game is pretty much you doing whatever you want.
  • "Attack" or clicking the A button now does a set 5 damage instead of being based on your attack stat like it was in previous games.
  • You're probably gonna end up with a half broken L button like me, or exhaust the R button as well. You need L + A to perform any move, and you're gonna go for 3+ moves each floor at the bare minimum, so be wary of that.
That's all I got for now, and I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff, so hopefully others can get whatever I missed.

I'm absurdly stuck on the Poliwrath River boss, because I have Torchc + Riolu and an absolute shit assortment of items (1 Oran Berry and a few wands). I could try going through the dungeon again to get items, but I REALLY don't want to have to fight those Heliolisk again. Any tips?

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
I'm absurdly stuck on the Poliwrath River boss, because I have Torchc + Riolu and an absolute shit assortment of items (1 Oran Berry and a few wands). I could try going through the dungeon again to get items, but I REALLY don't want to have to fight those Heliolisk again. Any tips?
Orbs work in boss battles now, so use that and or a petrify wand. Petrifying an opponent prevents them from moving, so you'll be able to pick them off one by one. Bring Blast and Reviver seeds too. Beating them one at a time is how I usually handle boss battles, so if you haven't tried that, do that.

Orbs work in boss battles now, so use that and or a petrify wand. Petrifying an opponent prevents them from moving, so you'll be able to pick them off one by one. Bring Blast and Reviver seeds too. Beating them one at a time is how I usually handle boss battles, so if you haven't tried that, do that.
Welp time to redo the entire dungeon then :(

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Does anyone know how to activate primal forms? Has this been discussed yet in this thread?
Unless someone has since found out and I haven't seen it, Primals might actually be boss-only, as dumb as it sounds. I've tried a variety of things but Awakening Emera doesn't activate Primals, giving them the respective Rain's Blessing or Sun's Blessing Emera doesn't do it, and none of the special looplets appear to activate them either. I've seen no record of people successfully using them and when I asked Serebii awhile back he said that apparently nobody had been able to make it happen before either. I don't understand why they wouldn't be available for us to use since that they are in the game but given nobody else seems to have found out how to do it...yeah.

Of course if I'm wrong and there's actually a known way now, feel free to correct me here.

That only worls through 4/10 of the way through the main game. Bosses are next to immune to status conditions after that. And by that I mean they're affected by them and stuff like they'll move via whirlwind wand, but if you use something like a petrify wand all that will happen is that they will have it during the turn you use it...then break out of the condition and attack you anyway. The only conditions that bosses are fully affected by are Traunt wand, whirlwind wand, ban seed (they only work on one move per pokemon, I've tried) and....yeah, that's about it, anything else they will instantly bereak out of with in 1-2 turns.

TPP

Head TD
That only worls through 4/10 of the way through the main game. Bosses are next to immune to status conditions after that. And by that I mean they're affected by them and stuff like they'll move via whirlwind wand, but if you use something like a petrify wand all that will happen is that they will have it during the turn you use it...then break out of the condition and attack you anyway. The only conditions that bosses are fully affected by are Traunt wand, whirlwind wand, ban seed (they only work on one move per pokemon, I've tried) and....yeah, that's about it, anything else they will instantly bereak out of with in 1-2 turns.
Yeah that's the most annoying feature of boss battles. The easiest way for them to fall for status is usually with the sleep emera or other emera. For most boss battles, I just used a truant wand so they'd only move every other turn, and it's permanent so they can't undo it.

Also, any luck with the Poliwrath Brothers?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)