CAP 21 CAP 21 - Part 11 - Complete Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Here in this thread, users may make complete movepool submissions for Crucibelle. At the conclusion of this thread, our movepool leader HeaLnDeaL will be compiling a slate of Final Submissions for the community to vote on, and the winning submission will become the official movepool for CAP21.

We recently made significant changes to our policies regarding movepools, so do not assume that rules from past CAP projects apply. See this Policy Review thread for more information about the new rules.

We've had a discussion of movesets, which identified the competitive movesets we intend to be the most viable in standard OU play. Please see the concluding post in that thread, as well as the following poll, for more information on those movesets.

The following rules apply to all Movepool Submissions:

• The movepool can contain a maximum of 70 total moves. You may have less than 70 moves, but not more.
  • There are no longer any limits to the number of Restricted Moves, as mentioned in articles on the CAP subsite and past CAP projects.
  • All movepools must have all the Mandatory Moves listed below.
  • No movepool may contain any of the Banned Moves listed below.
  • Any move not listed as Banned is provisionally allowed.
  • The Movepool Leader (HeaLnDeaL) and Topic Leader (jas61292, jazzy jas, jas numbers) may add Banned moves during the course of this thread. If that happens, there will be ample notification in the thread, and you will have the opportunity to remove those moves from your movepool prior to final submissions.

Final Movepool Submissions must include all of these moves, and they cannot be Event Moves. Submissions that don't have all these moves will not be considered for slating.

Head Smash
Gunk Shot
Coil
Wood Hammer
Low Kick
U-turn
Stealth Rock
Trick and/or Switcheroo
Rock Polish
Toxic Spikes
Reflect
Stone Edge

The "universal" TM/Tutor List for fully evolved Pokemon: Attract, Confide, Double Team, Facade, Frustration, Giga Impact, Hidden Power, Hyper Beam, Protect, Rest, Return, Round, Secret Power, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Snore, Swagger, Toxic

These moves are banned from inclusion in Final Submissions. Movepools that include any of these moves will not be considered for slating.

This list is subject to minor changes along the course of the thread. See the bottom of the list for Rock / Poison / Grass moves.

The follow moves are all banned.

-All special Fighting, Dragon, Fairy, Steel, Flying, Bug, Ghost, Dark, Psychic, Electric, moves with more than 110 BP (this means 110 BP is allowed) plus Chatter (Chatter has lower BP, but still banned)
-All physical Fighting moves with more than 65 BP and any attacking Fighting moves with an additional effect, plus Storm Throw, with the exception of Rock Smash (Rock Smash is not banned)
-All Fire/Ice/Water, physical AND special, moves with more than 70 BP plus Frost Breath (Frost Breath is banned), but with the exception of Dive (Dive is not banned)
-All physical Ground moves with more than 50 BP, including Bonemerang, but with an exception of Dig (Dig is not banned)
-All special Ground moves with more than 65 BP
-All physical Dark moves with more than 70 BP plus Knock Off (which has lower BP but is also banned)
-All physical Dragon, Fairy, Steel, Flying, Bug, Ghost, Psychic moves with more than 80 BP, with the exception of Fly (Fly is not banned)
-All physical Electric moves with more than 90 BP
-Any legendary exclusive move, attacking or non attacking

Acid Spray
Aqua Jet
Aromatherapy
Baton Pass
Belly Drum
Body Slam
Boomburst
Bullet Punch
Calm Mind
Chatter
Circle Throw
Clear Smog
Cotton Guard
Counter
Dark Void
Defog
Destiny Bond
Diamond Storm
Doom Desire
Dragon Dance
Dragon Tail
Encore
Eruption
Extremespeed
Fake Out
Foul Play
Frost Breath
Gear Grind
Geomancy
Glare
Growth
Heal Bell
Heal Order
Healing Wish
Heart Swap
Heavy Slam
Hypnosis
Ice Shard
Ingrain
Judgment
King's Shield
Knock Off
Leech Seed
Light of Ruin
Light Screen
Lovely Kiss
Lunar Dance
Magic Coat
Magnet Rise
Memento
Milk Drink
Mirror Coat
Moonlight
Morning Sun
Nasty Plot
Nuzzle
Oblivion Wing
Origin Pulse
Pain Split
Paleo Wave
Parting Shot
Perish Song
Psystrike
Pursuit
Quiver Dance
Rapid Spin
Recover and clones
Roar
Roost
Shadow Sneak
ShadowStrike
Shell Smash
Shift Gear
Sketch
Sleep Powder
Spikes
Spiky Shield
Spore
Steam Eruption
Sticky Web
Storm Throw
Stun Spore
Soft-boiled
Sucker Punch
Super Fang
Swords Dance
Synthesis
Tail Glow
Taunt
Thunder Wave
Volt Tackle
Water Shuriken
Water Spout
Whirlwind
Will-o-Wisp
Wish

(All Rock, Poison, and Grass, physical AND special, attacking moves are NOT banned, with the exception of legendary exclusive moves and Acid Spray / Clear Smog / Horn Leech, which are banned)

Click here for a general guide to making Gen 6 Movepools.
Click here for the list of Restricted Moves referenced above.

While this is a submission thread, discussion on Work-In-Progress (WIP) and Final Submissions is encouraged so the community can make an informed decision during the polling stage.

This thread will be open for submissions and discussion as soon as HeaLnDeaL posts his opening remarks.

-----------------

CAP21 so far:

Name: Crucibelle
Typing: Rock/Poison
Abilities:
Base - Regenerator / Mold Breaker
Mega - Magic Guard
Stats:
106/105/65/75/85/104 > 106/135/75/85/125/114

Art Design:

Base Forme

Mega Evolution

Leadership Team:

jas61292 - Topic Leader
imanalt - Typing Leader
DetroitLolcat - Abilities Leader
sparktrain (aka nerd) - Stats Leader
HeaLnDeaL (aka loser) - Movepool Leader

Concept:
Name: Typing Underdog

General Description: A Pokémon which utilizes an undervalued typing to its full potential, by playing towards both its strengths and weaknesses.

Justification: Each typing possesses a unique set of characteristics, causing all of them to perform very differently in various aspects of battle. However, not every typing has been granted the opportunity to display this potential, being forced into suboptimal roles by virtue of stats, ability and movepool, and therefore often being labelled as “bad”.
This concept aims to do a detailed analysis on the primary function of such a typing along with its potentially unexplored capabilities, by creating a Pokémon that that emphasizes the typing’s most prominent traits and utilizes them effectively.
This approach will not only allow us to widen our understanding on the unique niche and preferred playstyle of the typing, but will also give us additional insight on the mechanics that lead to success and failure of the typing when comparing CAP to the wielders in the lower tiers.

Questions to be answered:
  • What are the most important traits the Pokémon gains from the chosen typing, both positive and negative?
  • Is quality or quantity of weaknesses/resistances/immunities more relevant to the chosen typing? What does this mean for the way it is played?
  • How significant is the niche provided by the typing in OU? Are there any striking flaws in the typing that can’t be played around and prevent the Pokémon from performing reliably?
  • How reliant is the typing on stats, ability and movepool in order to succeed in OU?
  • Are the unique characteristics granted by the typing enough to set the Pokemon apart, or does it face strong competition for its role from Pokémon of other types?
  • Is there any distinct playstyle that suits the chosen typing the best? Or can the same typing be utilized in an entirely different approach to similar success?
  • How important is a type’s versatility for its overall success?
  • Is a single Pokémon capable of portraying most relevant aspects of the entire type?

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Well, many of you guys might know me as a competitive participant within CAP, but I also am definitely familiar with flavor and there are a number of things that I want to see in movepool submissions so that the flavor submitted makes sense and adheres to in-game standards as much as possible (some of our competitive goals do break with flavor, however, which is acceptable; but here, I'd prefer it if some guidelines were still met).

First off, you should notice that in the required move category I included a list of universal or near-universal moves learned by the vast majority of fully evolved Pokemon. In the past, these moves were not *exactly* required in CAP. However, if you go through the winning movepools, you will still see these moves. Not including these moves in the past has put users and their submissions at a severe disadvantage. To both avoid this and to encourage the existing flavor of these moves, I am marking them as required for this CAP.

I also really encourage all of you to strongly consider move-type and move-move correlations. Some of these correlations might have to be broken due to our competitive limits and our list of banned moves, but in the majority of cases, I think these lists will be very helpful.

Our banned moves list is somewhat subject to change. If someone submits a move that is not banned but is later determined to be ban worthy, then the move will be added to the banned list and the user will be notified. That said, I think I will also allow users to argue for exceptions of the banlist, within reason (and WITH reason attached to justify the move). If you'd like to use a move that is currently banned but you feel it has zero competitive merit and should be unbanned, I want you to tag me in your post and to explain explicitly and thoroughly on why the move should not be banned. Afterwards, I will make my judgment and let you know.

Lastly, any submission that has any shot of being slated must have considerable justification for the flavor of the submission. Consider your justification as your best argument on why you think your flavor is top notch and deserves to be slated.

Good luck, and have fun. Hopefully the above gives you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Also, try to format your submission in a nice looking way so that others can read it easily... See past examples in the archive if you're completely new to this...

Last edited:
Most mons with Head Smash also get access to other head-collision moves, such as Headbutt. This is problematic, since Headbutt is banned by this ruleset. Is there any chance we could have Headbutt allowed due to extenuating circumstances? Headbutt probably won't end up on any competitive set, but is a rather flavorful move, and it's only barely 5 BP above acceptable level.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Most mons with Head Smash also get access to other head-collision moves, such as Headbutt. This is problematic, since Headbutt is banned by this ruleset. Is there any chance we could have Headbutt allowed due to extenuating circumstances? Headbutt probably won't end up on any competitive set, but is a rather flavorful move, and it's only barely 5 BP above acceptable level.
I'm not HeaLnDeaL, and I will need to talk with him on this and get back to you later with an official ruling, but personally I think that Headbutt is fine. As it stands, I personally feel the list of banned moves in the OP is unnecessarily restrictive with regard to non-competitive moves (ie banning special moves of competitively irrelevant types), and is in fact self contradictory in certain places (Secret Power and Hyper Beam being both required and banned). Until I can have such a conversation with HeaL though, my advice would just be to use your best judgement as to its competitive merit, and as HeaL said, if you can make an argument that a move is irrelevant competitively it can potentially be removed from the banlist.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
^Because we decided to not allow nuzzle in the poll, which means that T wave shouldn't be allowed as well since they do the same things competitively.

NumberCruncher, I'm fine with upping the normal physical moves w/ effects stuff to include Headbutt.

I know that this is annoying but why are pursuit and roar on the list? Surely if this is also about flavour then we should think not just competitatively about the moves.I just don't understand what is the need to ban all these weak moves.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
The_Emperor, we decided specifically last thread to not allow Pursuit because of it's effect on psychic types such as the Latis; it creates a situation where both staying in and switching out could ruin them.

We didn't talk Roar in the last thread, but to me it's clear that it has competitive merit here, since it could allow CAP to set hazards and force switches. Therefore, I think it should remain banned.

Final Submission

Movepool loosely based on the movepools of two amorphous pokemon, Muk and Magcargo, who happen to share types, as well as several Ghost types.

TOTAL MOVES: 66 unique

repeats are underlined

Level Up

--Ancient Power
--Smog
--Pound
--Withdraw
--Rollout

-7-Withdraw
-12-Rollout
-14-Sludge
-19-Headbutt
-21-Toxic
-26-Rock Slide
-31-Metronome
-36-Venom Drench
-38-Transform
-43-Sludge Wave
-45-Block
-50-Gunk Shot
-55-Acid Armor
-62-Head Smash

TM
--Toxic
--Venoshock
--Hidden Power
--Hyper Beam
--Protect
--Rain Dance
--Safeguard
--Frustration
--Return
--Shadow Ball
--Double Team
--Reflect
--Sludge Wave
--Sludge Bomb
--Sandstorm
--Rock Tomb
--Facade
--Rest
--Attract
--Round
--Incinerate
--Giga Impact
--Rock Polish
--Rock Slide
--Poison Jab
--Dream Eater
--Swagger
--Sleep Talk
--U-turn
--Substitute
--Secret Power
--Confide

--Strength
--Rock Smash

Egg (Amorphous)

--Toxic Spikes -Cofagrigus, Weezing
--Wood Hammer -Trevenant
--Coil -Eelektross
--Imprison -Muk, Gardevoir, Banette, Mismagius, Spiritomb, Reuinclus, Chandelure, Cofagrigus, Trevenant
--Power Gem -Mismagius
--Curse -Gengar, Banette, Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Cofagrigus, Chandelure, Trevenant, Muk, Weezing, Mismagius, Magcargo, Swalot, Chimecho, Gastrodon, Garbodor, Stunfisk
--Belch -Muk, Weezing, Swalot, Garbodor
--Stockpile -Swalot, Drifblim, Garbodor, Weezing, Magcargo, Gastrodon
--Swallow -Swalot, Drifblim, Garbodor, Weezing, Magcargo, Gastrodon
--Spit Up -Swalot, Drifblim, Weezing, Magcargo, Gastrodon
--Water Sport -Jellicent

Tutor

--Low Kick
--Stealth Rock
--Trick
--Block
--Covet
--Zen Headbutt
--Gunk Shot
--Gastro Acid
--Water Pulse

Here's the rundown on various outlier moves and some general trends:

Ancient Power: Urns and other containers are known for being ancient artifacts.

Smog: When a container is closed and there are vile things inside, it's bound to produce some really noxious gases.

Sludge, Venom Drench, Sludge Wave, Water Sport, Gastro Acid: I have the impression that with Crucibelle's high speed, it's bound to cause some splash/wave action, either purposefully or unintentionally. These moves follow that idea.

Withdraw: I based this on what Yilx has said before about Crucibelle being shy and wanting to retreat inside of its urn. I prefer this over Harden, as it already has a hard exterior urn.

Rollout: Place Crucibelle on its side and watch it roll.

Headbutt, Zen Headbutt: Crucibelle's lid hat looks very painful, so I added headbutt moves. Also, most pokemon with Head Smash get other head-based moves.

Metronome, Transform: Because of Crucibelle's nature as a gelatinous liquid, I gave it some moves that can take advantage of this. Metronome doesn't really need much flavor reasoning because anything with fingers can use it, somehow, and Crucibelle can make its own fingers.

Block, Imprison: This is loosely based off of Pandora's Box and its ability to contain things much larger than itself. Adds to the mystical vibe of Crucibelle.

Rain Dance, Water Sport, Water Pulse: I have the impression that Crucibelle would be able to carry water, and containers in ancient times were mostly used as water containing vessels.

Safeguard: Along with Reflect, this allows it to use its mystic powers for protecting its teammates.

Shadow Ball, Dream Eater, Curse: These add to the mystical aura of Crucibelle, further strengthening the ties it has with Ghost types. This justifies the presence of Wood Hammer, which I felt was necessary because of how outlandish it is compared to the rest of the movepool.

Incinerate: I took a lot of creative liberty with this one. It's based off of the concept of greek fire, a naval weapon used in ancient times to set other boats alight. It's been theorized to have been contained/thrown in pots.

Belch: It makes a lot more sense when paired with Stockpile and Spit Up, and it's a nice physical Poison move that this mon has few of.

Last edited:

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Final Submission

We don't know that much about Crucibelle - but we know that it is shy as heck. We can also say, purely from looking at it (And Magic Guard), that it's slightly mystical. I've themed Crucibelle around this - giving her moves which allow her to keep her distance and stun foes, as well as area control.

Crucibelle would likely be a common site in abandoned villages and the like. Not that Crucibelle would have anything to do with the village being abandoned, but Crucibelle are shy enough that they probably don't notice the village being abandoned to begin with. Not that they're bothered, either.

HS Head Smash
- Astonish
- Endure
- Protect
- Withdraw
5 Rock Throw
7 Toxic
10 Fake Tears
14 Confusion
16 Confuse Ray
19 Toxic Spikes
23 Smack Down
25 Reflect
28 Sludge
32 Acid Armor
36 Rock Slide
40 Psybeam
44 Hex
48 Torment
52 Rock Blast
56 Gunk Shot
60 Explosion
(LU Pattern, starting from 5, was +2/+3/+4 up to Acid Armour, then +4s onward)

Early on, Crucibelle are very cautious, very nervous. They learn quickly how to hide themselves and survive attacks inside their pot. As they grow, they learn how to manipulate and trick others into not attacking them, as well as how to keep threats at bay. Eventually their tricks become meaner and more damaging.

Barirng Astonish, every move Crucibelle uses is non-contact. Crucibelle is much happier hiding in her pot than being that close to people. Heck, even from Level 5, Crucibelle will trade their ability to Astonish for the ability to throw Rocks at people. Because people should leave them alone.

Head Smash is Heart Scale'd here - if only because with that giant Helmet it doesn't make sense for it to only learn that through breeding.
Amorphous/Mineral
Coil (Eelektross)
Defense Curl (Sudowoodo)
Rollout (Sudowoodo)
Wood Hammer (Sudowoodo)

As per usual Egg moves contain moves which don't generally fit the 'personality' of the mon, I don't feel would work well as HS moves, but can't be gained through TM or Tutor. I don't think that wild Crucibelle would generally want to spend a lot of time wrapping up on itself as in Coil and Defense Curl, especially when she already has Withdraw, and she's not the type to often make big contact strikes as with Wood Hammer.

Rollout is on there because Crucibelle could literally curl up into it's pot and roll into a target. Interestingly, of the 16 mons who get Rollout by Egg, 11 also get Defense Curl by Egg, which is partly why Crucibelle has it.
TM06 Toxic (R)
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect (R)
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down (R)
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect (R)
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM41 Torment (R)
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM63 Embargo
TM64 Explosion (R)
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM71 Stone Edge
TM80 Rock Slide (R)
TM83 Infestation
TM84 Poison Jab
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Secret Power
HM06 Rock Smash

Crucibelle gets all of the TMs you'd expect your average Poison and Rock mon to get. Psychic and Shadow Ball complete the theming from the LU movepool. Grass Knot is in here both because a lone Wood Hammer is weird, and because Crucibelle would be the type to trip a foe up before they ever reach her.
Snore
Low Kick
Iron Head
Zen Headbutt
Gunk Shot (R)
Block
Skill Swap
Helping Hand
Trick
Snatch
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Stealth Rock
Gravity

Quite a lot of moves here. The two headbutts are here for obvious reasons, especially since we have Head Smash. Block is included because of it's popularity within Rock types. Gravity is also included - although Rock Types learning gravity comprise of only 10 of the 55 Rock-Types, Crucibelle's mystical theming (Similar to Carbink and Lunatone) makes it ideal to learn Gravity. I've also added a couple of other sort of "area" moves, playing into the fact that Crucibelle likes to hide and control if, when, and where she fights.

Notably I've excluded Gastro Acid. Compared to the other Poison-Types which learn Gastro Acid, Crucibelle's Muk-like body felt out of place.
Acid Armor
Astonish
Attract
Block
Coil
Confuse Ray
Confusion
Defense Curl
Double Team
Embargo
Endure
Explosion
Facade
Fake Tears
Frustration
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Gravity
Gunk Shot
Head Smash
Helping Hand
Hex
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Infestation
Iron Head
Low Kick
Magic Room
Payback
Poison Jab
Protect
Psybeam
Psychic
Reflect
Rest
Return
Rock Blast
Rock Polish
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Throw
Rock Tomb
Rollout
Round
Safeguard
Sandstorm
Secret Power
Shadow Ball
Skill Swap
Sleep Talk
Sludge
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Smack Down
Snatch
Snore
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Substitute
Swagger
Torment
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick
U-turn
Venoshock
Withdraw
Wonder Room
Wood Hammer
Zen Headbutt
Total Moves: 70
Restricted Moves: 33

Physical Attacking RMs (15):
Explosion
Facade
Frustration
Gunk Shot
Head Smash
Iron Head
Low Kick
Payback
Poison Jab
Return
Rock Blast
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Wood Hammer
Zen Headbutt

Special Attacking RMs (6):
Grass Knot
Hidden Power
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave

Non-Attacking RMs (12):
Acid Armor
Coil
Protect
Reflect
Rest
Rock Polish
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick

Move-Move Misses & Rationale:
We do miss a few. Better to address them, since I feel missing them is completely justified in these cases.

We have Confusion without Flash and Psych Up. My justification here is that of the Poison-Type lines which learn Confusion (Venonat+, Dustox, NidoranM+), only the former learns Flash, whilst none of them pick up Psych Up.

Because of Stone Edge, theoretically Strength should be a thing. However, the presence of Rock-Type Pokemon like Diancie, Carbink, Solrock, and Lunatone is enough, especially with Crucibelle's body structure being so fluid. I'll also note Archeops as an example of a case where even a higher ATK stat doesn't imply Strength ^^'

Finally, Torment usually implies Taunt. However, Taunt would lead to things attacking Crucibelle... which I imagine Crucibelle would not be fond of, given her trait of shyness. Also, Taunt is banned.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Dogfish44, Mirror Coat is banned unless you can tell me a very convincing argument that it is not competitive. Which might be hard, since we have massive special defense and HP and could take a plethora of special attacks and then retaliate with Mirror Coat.

Final Submission

- Venom Drench
1 Tackle
1 Withdraw
1 Copycat
8 Astonish
12 Headbutt
17 Sludge
22 Mimic
26 Ancient Power
31 Torment
35 Toxic Spikes
40 Iron Head
44 Coil
49 Zen Headbutt
53 Belch
58 Head Smash
62 Gunk Shot

So the first thing to notice about Head Smash users is that Head Smash using Rock types generally don't have mush outside of that as far as Rock moves in their movepool. Aggron has precisely zero other Rock moves in it's Level-up structure, and Tryantrum, Relicanth, and Rampardos only have Ancient Power, which every Fossil mon has. Further, the Rock aspect of this mon is the urn around the mon and not the mon itself. Therefore, Ancient Power is the only other Rock move this thing learns by normal level-up. It's other Rock moves come from Egg moves and TMs.

Poison types, on the other hand, tend to get quite a few level-up Poison moves, especially if they get Gunk Shot by leveling. Ergo, Poison type moves show up frequently as it levels up.

So when I was making Crucibelle's moveset, I thought about how a monster like Crucibelle would attack. Head Smash gives a decent impression on how the mon tends to operate in close quarters. When it's attacked, it pops out of the jar and smacks the opponent in the face with it's head. Seems reasonable, but what about when the fight isn't in close quarters? Crucibelle is confined to a jar, and its arms in base form don't seem sturdy enough to drag the jar along with any degree of haste. This seems like a significant liability to Crucibelle. It also seems inconsistent with it's natural 102 base speed. So how do we get Crucibelle to close the gap between its opponent and itself? I got to thinking "What if Crucibelle provokes its opponent?" If Crucibelle would get its opponent fenzied enough to charge it, it would no longer need to close in on the opponent, as the opponent would close in on it, and fall prey to a headlong collision. So I gave it vocal moves like Torment, Mimic, and Copycat very early, and used the later end of its level-up cycle to refine it's ability to hit with its head. It gives us a nice little narrative.

Acid Armor (From Grimer)
Flatter (From Croagunk)
Power Gem (From Mismagius)
Splash (From Wobuffet)
Water Sport (From Frillish)
Wood Hammer (From Phantump)

So I would imagine Crucibelle would fall under the categories of Human-like (With Alakazam, Mr. Mime and the like) and Amorphous (Like Muk and Swalot). Given that Crucibelle is a liquid pokemon, Splash and Water Sport seem flavorful enough. I felt it didn't really get enough good Rock moves from just the TMs with Ancient Power and Head Smash, so I threw Power Gem in from Mismagius. Acid Armor and Flatter are flavorful, and Wood Hammer is mandatory.

Block
Giga Drain
Gunk Shot
Hyper Voice
Low Kick
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Role Play
Shock Wave
Snore
Spite
Stealth Rocks
Trick
Uproar
Zen Headbutt

Basically, Crucibelle gets all the moves it's supposed to get, along with a few flavor ones. I also gave it shockwave, since Pokemon in the amorphous egg group seem disproportionately likely to get Shock Wave for whatever reason.

TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM46 Thief
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM68 Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM71 Stone Edge
TM80 Rock Slide
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-Turn
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Secret Power
TM100 Confide
TM06 Rock Smash

So as it turns out, there's only two other Pokemon in the game that have both Gunk Shot and Head Smash, and those are Phanphy and Donphan. So Crucibelle's TM list heavily mirrors Donphan's TM list. In fact, I think the only differences are that the banned moves aren't on Crucibelle and Crucibelle gets Torment (because it's already in her Level-up movepool), the Poison TMs that Don didn't have (because Poison types tend to get all of the Poison HMs), and U-turn + Reflect (because it was mandatory).

That's a total of 67 moves.

Last edited:
WIP

Let's talk about crucibles.

A crucible is, basically, a vessel that can withstand very high temperatures. This temperature tolerance allows it to be used to hold some substance while that substance melts or vaporises. Historically, crucibles have been a crucial component of smelting and refining metal.

Not all crucibles have lids. One of the kinds that does, though, is what's called a cementation crucible, which was used in Roman times to produce brass. By boiling zinc (yes, these things can produce zinc gas) and reacting it with copper, brass can be made in just such a crucible. It's a tricky process, though: without a lid, the zinc gas will escape before it reacts, but if it's too tightly sealed, the gas pressure will cause the crucible to break. And you might have to break the crucible open afterwards anyway - the brass might melt onto the sides and freeze there.

Crucibelle's art also makes it look like another artefact from Classical times - a kind of storage jar known as a pithos. These could be huge; some were big enough to be used as coffins. And if we're talking about noxious stuff emerging from a pithos, well, Pandora's "box" was originally imagined to be a pithos. (We call it a box nowadays due to a 16th-century translation error.)

Put it all together and you get my vision for Crucibelle: a ceramic crucible (hence the Rock typing), decorated like a pithos, filled with all the sludges and noxious gases made through metallurgical or funerary processes (hence the Poison typing). Maybe, like Claydol, it was brought to life by mysterious ancient magics? Or perhaps, more like Voltorb, it's an industrial process that somehow awakened. Who knows?

Anyway, to the movepool.

- Head Smash
- Toxic Spikes
- Harden
- Poison Gas
- Smog
5 Rock Tomb
8 Smokescreen
12 Sludge
16 Silver Wind
21 Protect
25 Trick
29 Ancient Power
34 Sludge Bomb
38 Coil
42 Stone Edge
47 Gunk Shot
52 Metal Burst
58 Haze
63 Head Smash

Since this is CAP 21, I decided to give Crucibelle moves at levels that are multiples of 21, with the spacing done more or less arbitrarily between these milestones (but making the moves less frequent as the levels rise). Silver Wind makes sense if Crucibelle is making zinc gas in its interior; Ancient Power seems appropriate for something (potentially) based on Classical artefacts; Metal Burst is Crucibelle overheating and exploding its contents over its opponents. (Most Pokémon that get Metal Burst are Steel-type, but there's precedent for a non-Steel-type having it too; Sableye and Rhyhorn get it as egg moves.)

One thing I rather like with this movepool is that Crucibelle alternates between learning Rock- and Poison-type attacking moves. The Poison-type ones are pretty sludgy or gaseous, rather than acidic; I don't get a 'corrosive' vibe from this CAP. The Rock-type ones are chosen either for flavour (Ancient Power and Rock Tomb - the latter of which is perfect flavour-wise if you think of Crucibelle as a funerary pithos) or necessity (Stone Edge and Head Smash). Head Smash is also repeated as a Level 1 move, since a lot of Gen VI movepools double up significant moves like this; it's placed first in the list, with four other Level 1 moves after it, specifically so it'd still be 'hidden' to a Trainer hatching a Crucibelle from an egg. (If we vote to give Crucibelle prevolutions, this provision would probably become moot, but it's here in case.)

There are five gas-based moves in the level-up set (Poison Gas, Smog, Smokescreen, Silver Wind, Haze) which tally with the fumes a crucible might give off and the fluid look of Mega Crucibelle (a look which, incidentally, justifies Coil as a level-up move for me; I can't imagine it not being able to loop itself up weirdly).

TM06 Toxic
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM59 Incinerate
TM60 Quash
TM64 Explosion
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM71 Stone Edge
TM80 Rock Slide
TM83 Infestation
TM84 Poison Jab
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Secret Power
TM100 Confide
HM04 Strength
HM06 Rock Smash

Crucibelle's TM and HM set was partially inspired by a fellow Poison-type with a similar coloration and similar gloopiness: Swalot. I have, of course, removed the banned moves from Swalot's set, and instead put in some flavourful moves to complement Crucibelle's decidedly eerie look - things like Psychic, Shadow Claw, Infestation and Quash. Incinerate is in there because Crucibelle is a crucible, and incinerating stuff is what it's (theoretically) designed to do; Explosion is that process going wrong.

Grudge (Mismagius, Banette and others)
Metal Claw (Ferrothorn)
Self-Destruct (Golem, Weezing and others)
Wood Hammer (Sudowoodo, Trevenant)

Amorphous and Mineral are, to me at least, the obvious Egg Group choices for Crucibelle. Grudge is another eerie-look move; Metal Claw parallels Metal Burst in the level-up set for moves based on the molten metal that Crucibelle might contain; Self-Destruct, like Metal Burst and Explosion, is the crucible breaking; Wood Hammer is required.

Block
Gastro Acid
Giga Drain
Gunk Shot
Iron Head
Low Kick
Seed Bomb
Snore
Spite
Stealth Rock
Trick
Water Pulse

The tutor moves fall into four categories:
  • Eerie-look moves > Spite
  • Moves that parallel or copy other moves in the movepool > Giga Drain, Gunk Shot, Iron Head, Seed Bomb, Trick
  • Moves that make sense for a Rock- or Poison-type > Block, Gastro Acid, Stealth Rock (a lot of Rock-types get Block, even Bonsly and Roggenrola - these two despite not having any arms, which are mentioned in the move description)
  • Moves that are widely distributed > Low Kick, Snore, Water Pulse

In total, excluding repeats, this gives a movepool of 68 moves.

Questions, comments and alerts to moves that should be there but aren't, or that shouldn't be there but are, are most welcome.

Edits: removed Pain Split due to ban, replaced with Explosion, modified level-up set

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
HeaLnDeaL may I please request an unbanning of the moves Dig, Shadow Sneak, Explosion, and Memento on the basis that they are not serious competitive options for this CAP? I would like to include these moves in my submission entirely for flavor reasons, but this will be a competitively focused post.

Dig I think is banned because it is a Ground-type attack with >50 BP, but Dig is not a competitive move on anything (certainly not on this CAP in particular) so I am not sure. Is it banned?

On Shadow Sneak, I don’t think having priority is enough to justify the weakness of running a 40 BP non-STAB attack over something like U-turn, Grass Hammer, Low Kick, Coil, or Stealth Rock. CAP is already pretty fast, reducing the need for priority in general, and Ghost as an attacking type does nothing to alter Crucibelle’s interactions with the threat list, including Psychic-types. The priority offers little advantage to compensate for the pitiful damage output; Shadow Sneak does less than half as much damage as Head Smash against every Ghost-weak Pokemon in the tier (252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. vs. Latios: 37 - 43% [Head Smash: OHKO]; 252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4/0 Starmie: 40 - 47% [Wood Hammer / Head Smash: OHKO]; 252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. Mega Alakazam: 51 - 61% [Head Smash / Gunk Shot: OHKO]; 252+ Atk Shadow Sneak [+1 Atk] vs. Mega Alakazam [Ghost-weak with 55 HP / 65 Def]: 84 - 99%). The move otherwise has close to zero utility as a neutral attack (252+ Atk Shadow Sneak [+1 Atk] vs. Choice Scarf Keldeo: 25 - 29%) and so I am convinced it is not powerful enough to tempt people to use it.

Self-sacrificial moves in general have proven to be incredibly wasteful and only marginally useful since GF changed the formula for Self-Destruct and Explosion in Gen. V. Explosion is similar to Dig in that its mechanics prevent it from being a legitimate competitive option for anything that learns five or more competitive moves (Crucibelle Explosion vs. Hippowdon: 47 - 55%; Wood Hammer: 45 - 53%). The only Explosion users I can think of off the top of my head are Mega Glalie (but only because it is boosted significantly by Refrigerate) and lead Azelf (but only because it is intentionally discarded as a matter of strategy), neither of which make a very strong case for Explosion’s competitive worthiness in OU. Explosion also exacerbates the CAP’s problem with Steel-type switch-ins, making it even more unappealing.

Memento, like Explosion, has a sort of on-paper threat that never really works out enough to justify running it over almost any other move. A likely explanation: despite the enormous sacrifice of losing a team member while doing no actual damage, Memento is not even reliably effective. The best-case scenario is sacking your own Crucibelle on purpose to force a single switch, once, if you time it right against the right Pokemon. It’s no surprise that neither Whimsicott (who has the ideal ability for this) nor Latios (110 base Speed) use Memento, not just because they have at least one better option, but because it is a high-risk-low-reward strategy and an empirically inferior move (by contrast, Latias runs a good Healing Wish set that does not rely on such specific circumstances).

And Pain Split is allowed? Is this intentional?

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Korski

I'll go and unban Explosion... I talked with people on PS and Explosion + priority moves were the only normal moves people had didn't want allowed, but I think your calc shows that Explosion isn't that big of an issue.

I'm fine with unbanning Dig, since it's a two turn move with a lot of risk involved.

In regards to Shadow Sneak and Memento, however, I don't really want to create needless risks.

Shadow Sneak could be used to defeat a weakened Alakazam or even a very weakened Metagross, and I think the competitive movesets thread last time already encroached on Psychic-types too far to let us encroach further. Shadow Sneak may not be the most competitive option, but it potentially messes with pre-weakened versions of what should be some of our better/best checks, and therefore I don't think it is safe to remove from the banlist.

Memento probably has no business ever being used on a Mega set. I do see some potential for a Base set using it just to screw up an opponent after setting hazards and to give a teammate a high chance of setting up... I do agree that Crucibelle's current options make Memento somewhat of an inferior choice most of the time, but I am slightly afraid that it still might be niche enough to merit OO, and in which case it shouldn't be allowed. I definitely realize I'm being conservative here, and maybe needlessly conservative. I might change my mind later and let you know, but for now I'm going to tentatively say no to Memento... It has mostly been deemed a competitive move in past projects (and saw a bit of success with Volkraken), and it may be highly risky but I disagree with your notion that it is always low-reward because of does have potential to aid set up sweepers. But yeah... I might be overly conservative right now, and I recognize this, but for the time being I have to say no...

And Pain Split is not allowed; thanks for catching that.

EDIT: Just so everyone knows, I also just added Round and Snore to the universal list, so they are now required.

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission:

To me, Crucibelle's design appears to be a heavy pot along with an amorphous inhabitant - but the reality is the entire CAP is actually amorphous, and can melt even it's "pot" right into the ground. For various reasons though, being able to create a strong exterior to blunt attacks has many advantages, and so as it gains more experience it learns both to harden and soften its body to damage foes.

Movepool Flavor:
Crucibelle starts its natural level-up attacks using its hard exterior to attack with Tackle and defends itself with Withdraw. It soon learns Bide as well. As it grows, it quickly learns it can fling off parts of its poisonous body to damage opponents, and then more solid chunks of rock. In this way it succeeds through Acid, Sludge, Sludge Wave, and Toxic Spikes as well as Rock Tomb, Rock Slide, and Rock Blast. Crucibelle also learns to make more effective use of its full body, getting successively stronger full body attacks until it learns Head Smash. Finally, because it is amorphous Crucibelle takes some cues from fellow poison-type Muk and is able to Disable foes with its gunk, blend in with Acid Armor, and shrink its volume with Minimize.

Crucibelle's Egg Moves focus on learning sneakier attacks and strategies from other Pokemon. From its more solid brethren in the Mineral group it can learn Block, Endure, Power Gem, and Sand Tomb. Its shadier partners in the Amorphous group give it Astonish, Belch, Feint Attack, Haze, and Night Shade.

Tutors cover a few staples of Rock and Poison Pokemon, plus our required moves. Several rock Pokemon with either an electric charge or metal components learn Gravity. The only somewhat niche attacking move is Iron Head, which is useful solely for Diancie.

The TM / HM Learnset is very basic, consisting mostly of STAB, electrical attacks to back up some of the other magnetic flavor, Gyro Ball because of our roundish design.

Legend:
* - Repeated Move
& - Required Move

Level-Up (19)

H. Wood Hammer &
H. Coil &
- Tackle
- Withdraw
4 - Acid
6 – Rock Tomb
9 – Bide
12 – Sludge
15 – Disable
18 – Take Down
21 – Rock Slide
24 – Sludge Wave
27 – Rock Blast
30 – Acid Armor
36 – Minimize
42 – Double-Edge
48 – Toxic Spikes &
52 – Head Smash &
60 – Gunk Shot &
Egg (Amorphous/Mineral): (9)

Astonish
Block
Belch
Endure
Feint Attack
Haze
Night Shade
Power Gem
Sand Tomb
Tutor: 9 (11, 2 Repeats)

Block*
Gastro Acid
Gunk Shot* &
Helping Hand
Iron Head
Low Kick &
Gravity
Snatch
Snore &
Stealth Rock &
Trick &
TM: 33 (36, 3 Repeats)
TM06 Toxic &
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power &
TM11 Sunny Day
TM15 Hyper Beam &
TM17 Protect &
TM21 Frustration &
TM23 Smack Down
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return &
TM32 Double Team &
TM33 Reflect &
TM34 Sludge Wave*
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb*
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade &
TM44 Rest &
TM45 Attract &
TM48 Round &
TM68 Giga Impact &
TM69 Rock Polish &
TM71 Stone Edge &
TM74 Gyro Ball
TM77 Psych Up
TM80 Rock Slide*
TM84 Poison Jab
TM87 Swagger &
TM88 Sleep Talk &
TM89 U-turn &
TM90 Substitute &
TM94 Secret Power &
TM100 Confide &
HM06 Rock Smash
Total Moves: 70
Restricted Moves:

Restricted Physical Attacks: 15
Double-Edge
Facade
Frustration
Gunk Shot
Gyro Ball
Head Smash
Iron Head
Low Kick
Poison Jab
Return
Rock Blast
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
U-turn
Wood Hammer

Restricted Special Attacks: 7
Hidden Power
Night Shade
Power Gem
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Thunder
Thunderbolt

Restricted Status Attacks: 13
Acid Armor
Coil
Disable
Protect
Reflect
Rest
Rock Polish
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick
Mandatory Checklist:
Attract - Check
Coil - Check
Confide - Check
Double Team - Check
Façade - Check
Frustration - Check
Giga Impact - Check
Gunk Shot - Check
Head Smash - Check
Hidden Power - Check
Hyper Beam - Check
Low Kick - Check
Protect - Check
Reflect - Check
Rest - Check
Return - Check
Rock Polish - Check
Secret Power - Check
Sleep Talk - Check
Stealth Rock - Check
Stone Edge - Check
Substitute - Check
Swagger - Check
Toxic - Check
Toxic Spikes - Check
Trick and/or Switcheroo - Check
U-turn - Check
Wood Hammer - Check

Possible Niche OO: [I guess...]
Disable / Torment (Sub+Disable/Torment)
Iron Head
Snatch

Last edited:
FINAL SUBMISSION
There are 70 moves in this movepool. Repeated moves are in italics, although there are not many that I had repeat.

Level Moves
(Heart Scale Moves)
-- Stockpile
-- Spit Up
-- Swallow
Start: Withdraw
Start: Tackle
2: Rollout
3: Withdraw
5: Rock Polish
8: Smog
10: Sweet Kiss
12: Copycat
14: Sharpen
18: Sludge
21: Mimic
24: Headbutt
30: Ancient Power
33: Disarming Voice
36: Rock Slide
39: Disable
44: Transform
48: Acid Armor
52: Metronome
58: Gunk Shot
66: Head Smash

This movepool looks pretty standard. I went through a list of all the moves in Pokemon, chose the ones that made sense, and added them into a movepool, as well as looking at movepools of Pokemon like Muk. Then I narrowed it down. Since Crucibelle uses headbutting as its main attacking, it has to lure the Pokemon closer. The two ways I have it doing this is by seduction and taunting. Disarming Voice and Sweet Kiss are for seduction, Copycat, Mimic, and finally Transform are to enrage the opponent to draw them close. Metronome is also to be annoying to the other Pokemon by waving its finger around in their face and being a troll. The rest of the movepool is fairly basic.

Tutor Moves
Low Kick
Trick
Zen Headbutt
Iron Head
Gastro Acid
Gunk Shot
Stealth Rock
Block

Low Kick and Trick are mandatory, Zen Headbutt and Iron Head fit with the idea of it using its head as a weapon, and Gastro Acid fits since it is a poisonous goop Pokemon. Stealth Rock is required. Block is because it is a jar and can block the path of other Pokemon.

TM/HM
Attract
Captivate
Confide
Double Team
Endure
Facade
Frustration
Giga Impact
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Natural Gift
Protect
Rest
Return
Secret Power
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Swagger
Toxic
U-turn
Rock Smash
Round
Snore
Gyro Ball
Sunny Day
Shadow Claw
Sludge Bomb
Venoshock
Poison Jab
Rock Tomb
Rock Slide
Sandstorm
Reflect
Stone Edge
Incinerate

Gyro Ball is because it is a vase and spins around often. Sunny Day and Incinerate are references to the kiln and the purpose of a crucible, respectively. Shadow Claw is for a more eerie move. All the other ones are mandatory, typical for poison or rock types, or given to all Pokemon.

Breeding
Coil (Eelectross)
Wood Hammer (Trevenant, Sudowoodo)
Power Trick (Claydol, Aegislash)
Water Sport (Jellicent)
Imprison (Gardevoir, Chandelure)
Block (Probopass, Landorus, Gigalith, etc.)
Self Destruct (Golem, Weezing, etc.)
Stockpile (Drifblim, Muk, Swalot, etc.)
Spit Up (Drifblim, Muk, Swalot, etc.)
Swallow (Drifblim, Muk, Swalot, etc.)

Coil and Wood Hammer are mandatory. Self Destruct is for if it overheats and explodes while doing melting. Stockpile is for storing things since it is a jar, Spit Up and Swallow are given to pretty much everything with Stockpile. Power Trick and Disable is an eerie and mysterious move fitting with the strange appearance. Water Sport is because there can be water in a jar, and Imprison is because things can be held inside the jar.

Edited after a new post: Updated to have less egg moves via having some of them moved to the level-up movepool. There is still the same moves and number of moves.

Last edited:
HeaLnDeaL, I would like to request the unbanning of the move Spikes. This is because I see Crucibelle as more of a utility pokemon and that most pokemon which have toxic spikes also have spikes. Also it would work flavour wise as the design of Crucibelle contains several spikes on the actual pot and I think it would therefore be interesting to have it on the move pool.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of good arguments in the moveset discussion against Spikes about how it would wear its checks/counters down too much if it somehow got all of the layers up.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
The_Emperor, pretty much any move that was discussed and not chosen in movesets is not eligible here. You've talked about multiple moves that were rejected during that thread, so it might be a good idea for you to read that. Spikes in particular is notable because it got banned specifically early on. There is no reason at all that spikes should be unbanned.

Also, your assertion that mons who have toxic spikes also have spikes is false. There is no move-move correlation between those moves.

(To everyone) If you wish to unban a move, please only suggest moves that have no competitive merit (at least compared to our other options).

Also, as request from a PM, Night Slash will now be allowed. Knock Off, which has lower BP, will still be banned, of course.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

According to Yilx, Crucibelle's defining personality trait is shyness, so I wanted to center the entire movepool around this theme. I didn’t want Crucibelle’s shyness to look like a basic survival instinct of prey animals (the CAP is a jar filled with disgusting sludge; it hardly looks like prey, or anything organic, for that matter), but rather some kind of more emotionally complex pathology like human shyness that I felt would be more intriguing. For example, Crucibelle is not shy because it is afraid for its safety, it is shy because it is socially anxious and lacks self-confidence. This advanced level of self-awareness indicates both a high intelligence and a brooding, human-like emotional complexity that are represented, respectively, by the high number of Psychic and Dark-type moves included here.

As the movepool began to take shape with these Psychic and Dark moves, this “shyness” theme shifted towards a more and more melodramatic personality, from shy and introverted to standoffish and antisocial, eventually evolving into an almost adolescent devotion to total independence and an abhorrence for social interaction (imagine Crucibelle is a petulant teen and everybody else is her overbearing parents). This CAP has big emotions, it just so happens that most of the time, those emotions are “Get out of my room I don’t want to talk to you!!! [throws garbage at you] [throws rocks at you]”.

As far as natural habitat, Crucibelle would most likely be found in caves or ruins or abandoned buildings where it is least likely to run into anybody else, and so I added Ghost-type moves to connect this fondness for the shadows with the skulls and amorphous aspects of the art design. The three combined “flavor typings” of Psychic, Dark, and Ghost are what sort of hold together the bits and pieces that make up the overarching theme of “(extreme) shyness” and give Crucibelle exactly that “mysterious” vibe it’s probably going for.
(20 moves)

0 - Rock Throw
0 - Defense Curl
8 - Astonish
10 - Sand Attack
12 - Fake Tears
16 - Confuse Ray
18 - Sludge
20 - Rock Tomb
28 - Stealth Rock
29 - Substitute
30 - Minimize
31 - Toxic
32 - Toxic Spikes
40 - Rock Slide
42 - Sludge Bomb
44 - Ancient Power
48 - Coil
50 - Sandstorm
52 - Gunk Shot
60 - Explosion

The Level-Up list is all about painting a picture of the Pokemon’s natural behavior. In this case, the picture is made up of behaviors like defensiveness (Defense Curl, Substitute, Coil), antisocial tendencies (Astonish, Sand Attack, Fake Tears, Confuse Ray, Minimize), and paranoia (Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes, Explosion). In other words, this is a Pokemon that is irrationally secretive, irritated by any sort of attention, and unwaveringly stubborn. It’s not enough for Crucibelle to simply hide in total darkness and shadow, but rather in total darkness and shadow, lid-down (Defense Curl / Coil), shrunken down (Minimize / Coil), behind a Substitute, surrounded by booby traps (Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes), and obscured by a vicious Sandstorm. From the obscurity of its hiding spot, Crucibelle lodges rocks (Rock Throw, Sand Attack, Rock Tomb, Rock Slide, Ancient Power) and disgusting slime or garbage (Sludge, Toxic, Sludge Bomb, Gunk Shot) at any sign of threat to its extreme hermitage, friendly or otherwise. And if none of that is enough to harass visitors away, wild Crucibelle will often resort to trashing everything in sight in one big dramatic meltdown (Explosion).

Some moves have added flavor reasoning here. Astonish, you may notice, is the only contact move in the entire list, reflecting Crucibelle’s highest priority of keeping everyone at a distance (both physically and emotionally). The idea here is that when someone comes across an unwitting Crucibelle thinking it is an interesting urn or artifact and checks under the lid and pulls up a very startled slime monster, the CAP’s only real close-range move is to scream and flail until the stranger becomes just as startled and the two parties flee from one another. Fake Tears and Confuse Ray are included to establish the Dark and Ghost-type thematics that stretch into the Egg pool, and they also add a little bit of manipulation and angst to flavor the overall Level-Up thematics. Ancient Power references the CAP’s likeness to artifacts and tendency to use rocks as projectiles. Explosion is actually fairly frequently learned by both Rock and Poison-types as a ‘big-ticket’ late-level move (often it’s the final move learned), so it felt almost necessary to include it here.
(Mineral / Amorphous Groups, 4 moves)

Head Smash - Aegislash
Night Shade - Banette, Chandelure, Cofagrigus, Dusknoir, Gengar, Golurk, Jellicent, Reuniclus
Switcheroo - Glalie, Klefki
Wood Hammer - Sudowoodo, Trevenant

Like others, I chose the Mineral and Amorphous egg groups here. What I like about the Amorphous Group is that it does a lot to affirm the Ghost connection I referred to earlier, as most of the members of this group are Ghost-types and, as a result, most of the compatible fathers for these egg moves are Ghost-types as well. Seeing as Crucibelle is easily irritated by pretty much everything alive, I thought it would be somewhat appropriate and humorous for it to be more relaxed and/or comfortable around Ghost-types. The Mineral group is an uncontroversial choice I’m sure; it’s the home of a great many Rock-types, as well as the other inanimate object-based Pokemon, Klefki, and the other pottery-based Pokemon, Claydol.

Here you will find Head Smash and Wood Hammer because they would sort of deflate the flavor of the Level-Up pool, and this is the only other place I could add them (I would believe the idea that Crucibelle can be cross-bred with Aegislash to produce offspring that are more aggressive in close-range situations). Night Shade is the final piece of the Ghost-type theme but also reinforces the behavior of the Level-Up moves, and Switcheroo carries the Dark-type theme into the Egg pool and establishes in some hatchlings a more mischievous nature.
(44 moves)

TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Smack Down
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM63 - Embargo
TM64 - Explosion
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM70 - Flash
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM77 - Psych Up
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM89 - U-turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM92 - Trick Room
TM94 - Secret Power
TM97 - Dark Pulse
TM100 - Confide
HM04 - Strength
HM06 - Rock Smash

The machine list is made up of inclusions based on submission requirements, type-move and move-move requirements, and STAB, along with flavorful selections of Dark and Ghost-type moves to finish out those themes, and Psychic-type moves to establish Crucibelle’s ability to harness its natural intelligence, but only if a trainer can get through to it well enough to teach it any new techniques. I began thinking about Dig after adding Flash as a move-move requirement for Trick Room. There are three reasons why I like Dig was a flavor move: 1) it follows the idea that the CAP will do everything in its power to escape forced social episodes, including literally digging through the ground when there is no other way out, 2) it plays into the idea of people stumbling across wild Crucibelle that are partially buried in the ground and mistaking them for ancient artifacts, and 3) it would make the CAP a great cave slave in-game (Rock Smash / Strength / Flash / Dig). The last move that doesn’t fit into any previous category is Energy Ball, which I mainly added to apply a veneer of legitimacy to putting Wood Hammer in the movepool.
(7 moves):

Gravity
Gunk Shot
Low Kick
Snore
Spite
Stealth Rock
Trick

With Gravity and Trick, the Tutor list completes the group of 18 Dark, Ghost, and Psychic moves that make up the “flavor typing” of the movepool. The core of this group are the Dark-type moves Embargo, Fling, Switcheroo, and Thief, along with the Psychic-type Trick. These moves are are all related by item manipulation and reflect an adaptable skill for con-artistry that also connects with the emotional manipulation of Fake Tears and misdirection effect of Confuse Ray.
Total Moves: 66
Restricted Moves: 30

Physical Attacking RMs (11):

Explosion
Facade
Frustration / Return
Gunk Shot
Head Smash
Low Kick
Poison Jab
Rock Slide
Shadow Claw
Stone Edge
U-turn

Special Attacking RMs (8):

Dark Pulse
Energy Ball
Hidden Power
Night Shade
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave

Non-Attacking RMs (11):

Coil
Protect
Reflect
Rest
Rock Polish
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Switcheroo / Trick
Toxic
Toxic Spikes

——————————

Rock moves (10):

Ancient Power
Head Smash
Rock Polish
Rock Slide
Rock Throw
Rock Tomb
Sandstorm
Smack Down
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge

Poison moves (9):

Coil
Gunk Shot
Poison Jab
Sludge
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Venoshock

Dark moves (6):

Dark Pulse
Embargo
Fake Tears
Fling
Switcheroo
Thief

Ghost moves (6):

Astonish
Confuse Ray
Night Shade
Shadow Ball
Shadow Claw
Spite

Psychic moves (6):

Gravity
Psychic
Reflect
Rest
Trick
Trick Room

Fighting moves (2):

Low Kick
Rock Smash

Grass moves (2):

Energy Ball
Wood Hammer

Ground moves (2):

Dig
Sand Attack

Bug moves (1):

U-turn

Normal moves (22):

Attract
Confide
Defense Curl
Double Team
Explosion
Facade
Flash
Frustration
Giga Impact
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Minimize
Protect
Psych Up
Return
Round
Secret Power
Sleep Talk
Snore
Strength
Substitute
Swagger

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Alright, I know that movepool submissions take a lot of work and time and that's why they are usually open for quite some time. However, I also don't want to sit on another really slow thread if we're not going to actually get a lot of submissions. Therefore, I'm probably going to close this thread in roughly 72-96 hours, and I'll post another time warning as things get closer.

Korski I really love the story behind your move pool, and how Crucibelle could easily lack self-confidence in the wild. I also like how you used 66 moves, rather than presicely approaching the numbered mark of 70. Less is more with Crucibelle's movepool.

Korski I really love the story behind your move pool, and how Crucibelle could easily lack self-confidence in the wild. I also like how you used 66 moves, rather than presicely approaching the numbered mark of 70. Less is more with Crucibelle's movepool.
I agree. I also really like how Deck Knight put Gyro ball in. This is one of the moves which I wanted to see Crucibelle have, mainly for flavour reasons.

I agree. I also really like how Deck Knight put Gyro ball in. This is one of the moves which I wanted to see Crucibelle have, mainly for flavour reasons.
I think most of the Movepools have Gyro Ball, I totally agree with you that it makes excellent flavor

Anyways, I like a lots of the movepools, especially Exclaimer's because she seems to have put a lot of thought into it. I think Incinerate is a really cool flavor move, as well as Water Sport, both which I totally did not think of when first looking at movepool options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)