2015 Musics - Join us at #Tunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
oren ambarchi has been killing it this year. check out his output if any of you guys are interested in experimental music in the rock sphere.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
oren ambarchi has been killing it this year. check out his output if any of you guys are interested in experimental music in the rock sphere.
Seconding this, his recent collab with Johan Berthling is absolutely stunning and other albums like his collab with O'Rourke and his solo live album, Live Knots, are very much worth a try. Might not be the easiest records to find, but they're absolutely worth it.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
didnt post about it yet buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut
the new breakbot album will come out january of next year
so far 2 songs has been revealed
back for more
and
get lost

one is chill, the other has the potential to be some crazy radio smasher if it ever gets its chance to shine just like baby im yours did some years ago
it'd be their second album (the first being this) and i was SO waiting for it

it's french touch at its finest, justice, daft punk, you name it, but breakbot have their own style and if you like the tunes from grammatik with vocals then you cant go wrong with breakbot i swear

Floppy

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
PSY's new album legit has some really nice songs
Also overall it seems almost tailor-made for the West, with songs featuring the likes of Ed Sheeran and ofc will.i.am. Maybe it's mostly due to the production but I like it a lot. A lot of popular K Pop and older classic Korean singers are here too!

-I Remember You has one of the sexiest hooks I've ever heard

-some calmer less 'crazy PSY' songs are there too (which will be surprising and refreshing for anyone used to hearing only his smash hits) like Good Days Will Come

-and of course Napal Baji and DADDY are present

check it out, if K-pop (and even western pop, this album is sort of a fusion of both leanin towards Western, with dashes of Korean ballads and musical potpourri sprinkled in) is your jam, or even if you're just looking for something new

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
hm well, my personal favorites of this year:
  • (obligatory) To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick Lamar
  • Art Angels - Grimes
  • How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Florence + The Machine
  • Carrie and Lowell - Sufjan Stevens
  • Under the Red Cloud - Amorphis
  • Kintsugi - Death Cab for Cutie
  • Damogen Furies - Squarepusher
(im probably missing some stuff but yea)

honorable mention to Sara Bareilles's What's Inside for somehow getting an entire album stuck in my head

my list of disappointing albums is a lot longer:
Redemption of the Beast - DMX (this is honestly one of the worst albums I've heard in my life)
Uptown Special - Mark Ronson (^although this comes pretty close)
F.E.A.R. - Papa Roach (they can't even do edgy properly anymore lol)
Juggernaut: Alpha/Omega - Periphery (honestly i just hate his voice)
Smoke + Mirrors - Imagine Dragons
Skrillex and Diplo Present Jack U - Jack U (even diplo can't save skrillex jesus christ)
Rebel Heart - Madonna (i didn't actually listen to this but the fact she still makes albums is an insult to humanity)
Run - AWOLNATION
Human - Three Days Grace (they don't sound the same without their lead singer)
Into the Wild Life - Halestorm (album's too damn long for how similar the songs are to one another)
Shadowmaker - Apocalyptica
Whispers II - Passenger
Love Story - Yelawolf (has like 2-3 good songs but the rest is pretty meh)
Wilder Mind - Mumford & Sons
Grand Romantic - Nate Ruess
25 - Adele (fuck her for not putting it on spotify)
Honeymoon - Lana Del Rey
Delirium - Ellie Goulding
Vulnicura - Bjork (honestly i just don't quite "get" Bjork, her method of singing is just too off for me, although I do like the beats/accompaniment she uses)
Skeletons - Danzig

i apologize in advance if i like things you don't like or don't like things you like u_u

i'll level, don't care for grimes. i can respect what she delivers artistically as something of substance, but the kinda spacier synth pop that's offered up just has never held my interest, though perhaps the wave of bland artists casting themselves over less inspired iterations of them (ie.halsey) has played some role in that. regardless, there were some nice records this year. i think it's just me x_x

but, uh, yeah, i'm awful at pinning down orders, but these would probs be my top 10 for the year

• To Pimp A Butterfly - Kendrick Llamar: obligatory.
  • The Powers That B - Death Grips: obligatory.
  • The Epic - Kamasi Washington: obligatory?
  • Algiers - Algiers: a record I find myself liking more and more with each proceeding listen. Some really strong, moody neo-soul w/a lot of energy that i find reminiscent of older punk projects. got me stoked for w.e they deliver in the near future
  • Garden of Delete - Oneohtrix Point Never: electronic aoty, at least for me. some wonderfully dense, glitchy plunderphonics w/a deeply enveloping sound to it all. would recommend to most, if not all
  • Marduk - Frontschwein: fucking brutal. some of the heaviest, no-whistles black metal i've heard this year, and an impressive showing from a group some 25 years strong
  • Frozen Niagra Falls - Prurient: got mentioned earlier along here. it puts you in a whole other world man, some of the most depressing, ambient sounds you'll hear. 2015 was a great year to just get real sad, i tell ya
  • Carrie & Lowell - Sufijan Stevens: one of my fave sufijan stevens releases. strips down the instrumentality, at least in contrast w/a lot of his previous releases (though i did really appreciate the age of adz), and delivers one of his most emotionally engaging albums to date. he's the man, etc etc
  • Meliora - Ghost: had to give it to them. i think ghost finds a solid "balance" with this record, managing to bring out a much more lush and grand overall sound w/o becoming overbearing, with i sorta found to be the case in their sophomore release. a really ambitious work that i find to be a consistently satisfying listen back to front, in spite of perhaps not being trve metal
  • Sun Coming Down - Ought: a weird one for sure, but one that managed to pull me into it and hold me there. some of the most left-field punk music you'll hear, and i'll be the first to say that a lot of people will absolutely hate this record, but i've found that it holds a very strong sense of beauty in it, and its manner of delivering politically-charged lyrics is fantastic.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
megalist of 2015 albums i've enjoyed (no order):
  • carrie & lowell by sufjan stevens
  • art angels by grimes
  • to pimp a butterfly by kendrick lamar
  • emotion by carly rae jepsen
  • asperities by julia kent
  • platform by holly herndon
  • no cities to love by sleater-kinney
  • half free by u.s. girls
  • hallucinogen ep by kelela
  • m3ll155x by fka twigs
  • slime season 1 & 2 by young thug
  • loyalty by the weather station
  • vulnicura by bjork
  • i love you honeybear by father john misty
  • ivy tripp by waxahatchee
  • sore by dilly dally
  • choose your weapon by hiatus kaiyote
  • sprinter by torres
  • have you in my wilderness by julia holter

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
albums ive listened to and enjoyed:

clarence clarity - no now
grimes - art angels
ghost - meliora
injury reserve - live from the dentist office
kendrick lamar - to pimp a butterfly
carly rae jepsen - emotion
marilyn manson - the pale emperor
bjork - vunicura
big grams - big grams
chelsea wolfe - abyss
death grips - jenny death
CHVRCHES - every open eye
kacey musgraves - pageant material
FFS - FFS
ty dolla $ign - free tc
wonder girls - reboot
PSY - 4th album
gain - hawwah
infinite - reality
Yeezer

LPs
Clarence Clarity - No Now (AOTY for me, I listened to this like 20+ times)
Travis Scott - Rodeo
Kamasi Washington - The Epic
Alabama Shakes - Sound and Color
Logic - The True Incredible Story
The Internet - Ego Death
Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side of Tape
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Death Grips - The Power that B
EPs
Nao - February 15
Earl Sweatshirt - Solace
FKA Twigs - M3LL55X
Lupe Fiasco - Pharaoh Height (Liked it better than his LP tbh)
Thundercat - The Beyond/Where the Giants Roam

There's a lot more but these are the mains

10) steve von till - a life unto itself
9) grim - maha
8) jackson c frank - the complete recordings
7) natural snow buildings - terror's horns
6) the myrrors - arena negra
5) the revolutionary army of the infant jesus - beauty will save the world
4) godspeed you black emperor - asunder sweet and other distress
3) stara rzeka - zamknęły się oczy ziemi
2) big blood - double days ii
1) prurient - frozen niagra falls

RODAN

Banned deucer.
holy shit

clarence clarity - no now, is the weirdest fucking album ive listened to all year and i LOVE it

1. Mgla - Exercises in Futility
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
3. Abbysal - Antikatastaseis
4. Meg Myers - Sorry

Other albums I enjoyed, nothing stands out enough to make a decisive top 5
Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
Iron Maiden - Book of Souls
Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror
Earl Sweathshirt - I Don't Like Shit; I Don't Go Outside
A Forest of Stars - Beware the Sword You Cannot See
Macabre Omen - Gods of War / At War
Obsequiae - Aria of Vernal Tombs
Laura Stevenson - Cocksure
Ella Eyre - Feline
the Icelandish black metal's band debut that I cba to spell

Pleasant surprise of the year
Omnia - The Naked Harp

Disappointment of the year
new Cattle Decapitation album, my expectations were too high

Damn you for making me wait longer category
SWISH
new Plaga

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
man, 2015 was an amazing year for liquid dnb. here are my 10 favorite albums with highlight tracks included. format is artist - album [label]:

10) keeno - preludes ep [med school music]

just listen to the entire ep.

---

9) lynx - i am lynx [hospital records]

highlight tracks - "clap track", "chord time", "only she knows", "lights out (ft. sense mc)", "the gift (ft. zero one)"

---

8) enei - rituals [critical music]

highlight tracks - "homeworld (ft. charli brix)", "jungle business (ft. eastcolors)", "lessons (ft. kasra, drs)", "dead space (ft. mefjus)"

---

7) pola & bryson - the music ep [soulvent recordings]

---

6) etherwood - blue leaves [med school music]

highlight tracks - "the rain will fall (ft. lsb)", "light my way home (ft. eva lazarus)", "for a time i was you", "cast away", "we're nothing without love (ft. s.p.y)"

---

5) dawn wall - longshanks ep [integral records]

---

4) bensley - next generation [ram records]

highlight tracks - "wildfire", "rain dance", "to the moon", "fandango", "next generation"

---

3) reso - ricochet [hospital records]

highlight tracks - "taiga", "ricochet", "the blob", "happy travels", "callisto"

---

2) quadrant, kid hops, & iris - 206 [commercial suicide]

highlight tracks - "angular", "206", "eternal september (ft. collette warren)", "definition", "asthma", "the only way out is through (ft. klute)"

---

1) london elektricity - are we there yet? [hospital records]

highlight tracks - "singing ringing tree", "drop ship", "telefunken lizard filter", "artificial skin (ft. keeno, emer dineen)", "tape loops (ft. hugh hardie)", "that thing you did"

---

honorable mentions: bcee - come & join us [spearhead records], noisia & the upbeats - dead limit [vision recordings], drs - mid mic crisis [soul:r], spor - caligo [sotto voce], sam binga - wasted days [critical music], ivy lab - 20/20 [20/20 ldn], anile - perspective [med school music]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)