Undertale

I just bought Undertale. I accidentally killed Toriel. I feel bad, but I won't reset because it must of been DESTINY!
So far it's been better than I thought, wasn't all that interested at first until the amount of hype finally got to me and I bought the game.
Be glad you didn't reset. Although you're gonna get a worse ending for it, it's probably better to skip Flowey chewing you out.

To be honest, I haven't actually -played- Undertale, but I dabble in the community once in a while. I'm posting here specifically because I found this hilarious edit of Alphys gif during the Mettaton Quiz, and I can't remember the name of the person who had it as their icon.

You're the D's knees, Celestavian!

Anyway, I'd love to talk about inner rumors and possibilities and stuff, but I don't want to spoil anything either... how far have you seen/played it? I've pretty much watched the bulk of the pacifist run, and watched nearly all the genocide run, too.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly the only reason I even played this game was because the Gamefaqs trolls voting this above Ocarina of Time, and boy I'm glad they did. This game mechanics, setting, atmosphere, and story elements are so unique and absolutely blew away my expectations. I had a blast with its cheesy yet witty humor, but the moment I realized this game wasn't just rainbows and unicorns, and going to take me on a journey like never before was when
when I killed Toriel and heard her speech afterwards. I felt awful and wanted to go back and spare her. Immediately, the "talk" action became "you thought about telling toriel that you saw her die, but that would be creepy right", which was my first of many WTF moments. Earlier in the game, I restarted my file during the "pie flavor choice" due to a computer battery issue, and the second time Toriel said she had a feeling that I was going to choose Cinnamon. I didn't think much of it at first, but this confirmed that your saves do not matter, every action you take has potential consequences. After "sparing" Toriel, I was greeted deservingly so with this underrated cutscene.

Mettaton's boss fight is horrible, can't beat it because I didn't have enough money after Muffy (the spider girl? did I already forget her name?) to buy food at the hotel, and I never bought the Temmie armor.
But, he at least has my favorite music in the game. I listen to an hour version sometimes.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mettaton's boss fight is horrible, can't beat it because I didn't have enough money after Muffy (the spider girl? did I already forget her name?) to buy food at the hotel, and I never bought the Temmie armor.
But, he at least has my favorite music in the game. I listen to an hour version sometimes.
you might have missed the
back alley store that sells food cheap
? idk, atp you shouldnt really be broke

you might have missed the
back alley store that sells food cheap
? idk, atp you shouldnt really be broke
Shoot, I knew I shouldn't of left there! Went in once, tried to sell stuff, they refused, went back inside. Didn't think to see what they sold because I'm an idiot sometimes. I might backtrack at this point through the entire Core, but as I said I don't like backtracking too much. Might as well though.

That was probably one of my favourite fights in the game. I had to fight him around 4 times.
If you don't mind spoilers, you can search around to see an easier way to beat him (make his thingy raise up more)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shoot, I knew I shouldn't of left there! Went in once, tried to sell stuff, they refused, went back inside. Didn't think to see what they sold because I'm an idiot sometimes. I might backtrack at this point through the entire Core, but as I said I don't like backtracking too much. Might as well though.
Once you get to the final room backtracking is easy, they have three elevators in close proximity that take you back to the ground floor. I'm the same way as you, I was getting wrecked by spider lady cause I only had one food item but I refused to backtrack for more than a minute or two.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was probably one of my favourite fights in the game. I had to fight him around 4 times.
If you don't mind spoilers, you can search around to see an easier way to beat him (make his thingy raise up more)
I thought that was the entire point of the fight lol? To get his meter up to the max. Didn't even occur to me that you could attack kill him (although at that point I was doing a primarily pacifistic run anyway).

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I thought that was the entire point of the fight lol? To get his meter up to the max. Didn't even occur to me that you could attack kill him (although at that point I was doing a primarily pacifistic run anyway).
actually, you either ohko him or raise the meter obscenely high with tricks and various items/actions / survive [x] turns. The latter two result in the same reaction (never seen ratings this high + the calls).

Yeah. I beat him the hard way. Didn't know about the other way at all until I searched online (after I beat the game)

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
When I first fought Mettaton, my first instinct after seeing the ratings meter appear was actually to just do nothing, not take my turn and let the ratings drop to zero. I figured it would be a clever, secret win condition, but the ratings apparently stop falling at around 3000 or so.
actually, you either ohko him or raise the meter obscenely high with tricks and various items/actions / survive [x] turns. The latter two result in the same reaction (never seen ratings this high + the calls).
You only OHKO Mettaton during the genocide run. You still need to whittle down his HP with attacks as normal in neutral runs, but an alternate way to end the fight is to drive his ratings up to 12,000 before he loses any of his limbs. On paper, it sounds a lot harder to meet than the 10,000 rating milestone, but there are some tricks that can help you drive up the ratings quickly, such as changing your armor midfight, using recovery items you can buy at the MTT resort (Glamburger, FaceSteak, etc, though this might require some money grinding), or using the stick if for some reason you still have it.

On another topic, Mettaton EX's battle theme, Death By Glamour, is actually a mashup of a couple different music pieces that relate to him. The opening of the song is a more poppy remix of CORE, then it transitions into a remix of his original battle theme, Metal Crusher, and the end is a more enthusiastic rendition of It's Showtime!. Turns out this is actually a common trend with Undertale's music, and a lot of boss battles and themes for important plot points sample tracks found elsewhere in the game. This is actually a really interesting way to get by without making a ton of unique tracks, and capitalize on the significance of each music piece by subtly implementing them repeatedly throughout the game. Some other interesting examples of this are hidden below due to spoilers:

When I first fought Mettaton, my first instinct after seeing the ratings meter appear was actually to just do nothing, not take my turn and let the ratings drop to zero. I figured it would be a clever, secret win condition, but the ratings apparently stop falling at around 3000 or so.

You only OHKO Mettaton during the genocide run. You still need to whittle down his HP with attacks as normal in neutral runs, but an alternate way to end the fight is to drive his ratings up to 12,000 before he loses any of his limbs. On paper, it sounds a lot harder to meet than the 10,000 rating milestone, but there are some tricks that can help you drive up the ratings quickly, such as changing your armor midfight, using recovery items you can buy at the MTT resort (Glamburger, FaceSteak, etc, though this might require some money grinding), or using the stick if for some reason you still have it.

On another topic, Mettaton EX's battle theme, Death By Glamour, is actually a mashup of a couple different music pieces that relate to him. The opening of the song is a more poppy remix of CORE, then it transitions into a remix of his original battle theme, Metal Crusher, and the end is a more enthusiastic rendition of It's Showtime!. Turns out this is actually a common trend with Undertale's music, and a lot of boss battles and themes for important plot points sample tracks found elsewhere in the game. This is actually a really interesting way to get by without making a ton of unique tracks, and capitalize on the significance of each music piece by subtly implementing them repeatedly throughout the game. Some other interesting examples of this are hidden below due to spoilers:
Oh yeah, I know about Mettaton in the GR. I actually beat him by driving his rating up. It was tedious and took a lot of tries but I did it. Plus the little cutscene was nice

Also talking about the music, some of them are slowed down or sped up version

brightobject

there like moonlight
Ladies and gentlemen. May I present to you... my magnum opus. The chronicle of my journey to discover hidden Sans dialogue...

Lately I've been doing genocide runs for fun, seeing how much I can do without dying. Since Un-Undyne and Sans are the only real threats here it's sorta boring but the difficulty and dialogue makes it worth it.
Anyways, I was browsing the wiki the other day for tips on grinding money (I've been considering a Temmie armor run) when I happened upon the info that Sans had extra dialogue for if you beat him then refought him without resetting.

Being the pedant I am, I had to see it for myself....
time to suit up.

Since I am a fucking cowboy it is only fitting that I attempt this feat in proper cowboy gear. Fuck the Locket and the Knife, we're empty-gunning this shit. And of course we cannot do without the one true name >v>

So I beat Sans once. Cool, huh? It's interesting but even when you're wielding the Empty Gun Sans still gets sliced up and not shot to pieces. I guess Toby never considered that some people wouldn't use the god-tier gear back in True Home? (or maybe he never considered it important rip)

So now I reset, and sure enough, the hidden dialogue rears its ugly head. Sans' normally sneering talk of the look on your face has been replaced with something else entirely.

(It's at this point that I start showing the time, just for reference)

[SALT]
So, time for round 2.

Reset #2, and now Sans says something different.

Everything's going just as the wiki said it would. But I wanted to try and see if there was any more dialogue to be had so I had to go another time.

Despite some really bad platforming (and some weird bone patterns on phase 1) I make it out alive. Hey, I'm getting pretty good at this!

But anyways, I reset again, and it seems that's the end of his secret dialogues (as said on the wiki).

Just to make sure I beat him another time, but to no avail.

Now, apparently it doesn't matter if you die in between resets, so this actually isn't as hard as I thought it was rip, but either way I managed to beat Sans five times in a row without dying and that has to be worth something, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)