The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
http://myanimelist.net/anime/28619/Ranpo_Kitan:_Game_of_Laplace

this shit right here takes the crown home. it has a pretty ending, one of my favorite openings of the year and is really pretty at times. then it does literally everything else wrong. i could go on for days about what pisses me off in that show but that'd probably get annoying really fast

honorable mentions: mirai nikki (already mentioned) and comet lucifer (fuck 8bit)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It took me a while to think about it, but I guess the answer is A Certain Magical Index. But even that was so bad it was good, otherwise I wouldn't have kept watching.

breh

強いだね
I watched 150 episodes of zatch bell, not really worth, pretty shitty show that is full of poorly drawn walk cycles and other awkward animation. Also the show doesn't even actually finish the series and the last... 10? or so episodes are an arc that exist solely within the anime. probably one of the few good parts of the show is zatch's voice actor (who reuses the same voice for the cute li'l alien mushroom guy in kekkai sensen, btw). another highlight is a character named unko tintin

don't let nostalgia deceive you :(

the english dub is a whole nother thing since the voice acting is almost comically bad / super stiff. I don't think there was any way they could have really replicated the character given to zatch by his voice actor alone but giving him jimmy neutron's voice actor was almost objectively a poor choice. people complain about one piece being ruined by 4kids but I think zatch bell took it worse, what with them giving a bank robber a super soaker in episode 2

it's my sneaking suspicion that the dub was cancelled because they couldn't figure out how to censor a plot-important character with literally spherical breasts and just gave up

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If I were to count separate arcs as their own anime I'd probably say the ALO arc of SAO or the Excalibur sub-arc of SAO II. The former was just grotesque in places (especially the asuna rape bits towards the end which didn't fit the mood of "video game with sensual stimuli" thing at all) and the whole "i love my brother because he's not actually my brother" thing just creeped me the f*ck out and felt equally out of place (although tbh its not the first anime to try its luck with that act...). As for the Excalibur sub-arc, it just seemed completely pointless/poorly written, feeling like it was just trying to get an extra few episodes out of Asada before completely dropping her, and I would have rather had more fleshing out of the relationship between Asuna and Yuuki in those 2-3 episodes than the entire sub-arc which they used to justify the presence of Excalibur in literally one scene within the Mother's Rosario arc.

As for full anime, its hard to say. I've not really watched enough for a fully educated answer, and I usually drop something instantly if I dislike it, but I found Inazuma Eleven GO: Galaxy to be pretty disappointing overall. It just felt like it had lost a lot of what made the original three IE seasons enjoyable without really putting on a show like the other two IE GO animes did. However, it is difficult to say whether it qualifies fully as a kids show or not because the other seasons weren't offputting for the sixteen-year-old me to watch like the majority of kids anime is, and this uncertainty as to whether it is directly targetted at kids or not is why I am hesitant to say if it warrants being on a list of "bad anime" or not.

Wow. Uh, No Game No Life, I think.

If an anime really pisses me off, I drop it almost immediately, but NGNL was short enough and the really terrible episodes were right at the end. Aside from the glorious "go read the novels" ending, it was the author trying to push some message about gamers that really got me. The message was baaaad.

It's far from the worst anime I've completed, but it's my most hated.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
I never drop animes.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break was a shitshow of an anime. QUALITY everywhere, not even a good harem, and the only saving grace was the fact that the MC was stupidly OP. God knows what about the plot of the story cuz it was so bad.

Owari no Seraph tried to be like Attack on Titan but EDGYER. Don't watch this shit. Shinoa was a bright star in an overall shitty anime.

guys, what is your least favourite show you have seen to completion?
http://myanimelist.net/anime/22377/Wonder_Momo

If the troll reviews are any indication this show is a complete piece of crap. Not even so bad its good. Just crap. Take a stereotypical as hell magical girl plot strip its to bare essentials make each episode 5 minutes long and make essentially everything shitty.

As for actual shows probably Zero No Tsukaima:
Video I made a while back out of *passion* for this show

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
http://myanimelist.net/anime/22377/Wonder_Momo

If the troll reviews are any indication this show is a complete piece of crap. Not even so bad its good. Just crap. Take a stereotypical as hell magical girl plot strip its to bare essentials make each episode 5 minutes long and make essentially everything shitty.

As for actual shows probably Zero No Tsukaima:
Video I made a while back out of *passion* for this show
I loved Zero no Tsukaima.
Too bad the creator died without finishing it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've watched the first 13-or-so episodes of World Trigger and I'm not all that impressed by it personally. I'm not particularly grabbed by the plot or the characters, and there are a few gripes which I have with how it's been adapted for television. While I understand that it is based on an ongoing manga, I don't think that having it all in a single ongoing season is the right way to go about it. I think that it would have been better if it were split into multiple short (12-14 episode) seasons which focused on different story arcs as opposed to having all of the arcs in the same season. In addition, the adaptation feels very lazily done overall, with the animation lacking any kind of energy and being pretty boring to watch in the fight scenes (i.e. the scenes which are meant to grab the viewer's interest) and they seem to be trying to interest me through info dumping, and this just doesn't work. I don't care how the technology works, and if you aren't going to integrate it well then there is no point explaining it. The characters feel lazy, and nothing seems to grab my attention with it. Overall, my current impression is that I had my hopes up for nothing. Can anyone who's watched further tell me whether it gets better, because if it doesn't I'm probably not going to bother picking it back up.

I usually drop anime that look bad to me and the ones I do complete and don't like, I can't really remember why because of my piss poor memory. Though, one does stick out and it's Tokyo ESP. I just remember it being a complete mess and I honestly still don't know what the fuck was going on in it.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
if i was going to watch a popular romcom, which one do i choose between nisekoi, oregairu, and saekano
ive not seen nisekoi but ive literally only heard negative things; Nido-Rus said he was watching it because irl friends told him to and could skip entire episodes without losing track of the story.

ive seen oregairu, season 1 and season 2. It starts off extremely promisingly, but it jumps the shark pretty hard midway through season 2. I'd say season 1 is still worth watching, especially for the monologue at the end of episode 5, which is like my favorite speech in history. I'm gonna watch season 3 when it comes out because i'm too invested now and it's still watchable, but you don't have to.

never even heard of saekano but the others itt seem to like it

Speaking of romcoms, though, the reason I'm posting in this thread is that I just finished writing my first ever review of, well, anything, and it's of Toradora! I'm really proud of my work so I want to shout it from the rooftops http://foku.io/2015/12/30/review-toradora/ if you have anything to say, critiques comments etc pls tell me here or on the site. probably gonna put more of these out about other anime; writing a review is a fun and difficult challenge

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
the only good reason to watch saekano is for megumi katou imo

rest of the girls are standard annoying harem tropes (?) guh

as for nisekoi...

dense MC + cringe scenes + no development...

i'm sure you understand what i am trying to say

ok but utaha's legs tho
(oregairu is the best of those 3 but saekano was pretty good too)

Edit: happy human instrumentality day, I guess, nerds

Last edited:
if i was going to watch a popular romcom, which one do i choose between nisekoi, oregairu, and saekano
Nisekoi has almost no plot development. I havent seen saekano so not gonna comment on that. Oregairu season 1 is a pretty good romcom, while season 2 focuses more on the romance and has more drama than comedy; I personally liked season 2 a lot better because I like drama a lot more than comedy, but yeah oregairu's your best bet probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)