The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i was going to watch a popular romcom, which one do i choose between nisekoi, oregairu, and saekano
None of those shows are a must watch, unless you really like Edgy McEdgelord MCs and hate society, in which case watch SNAFU. I watched Nisekoi because I like SHAFT SHAFT SHAFT visuals, but it's definitely not their best work.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Just finished Rokka no Yuusha.

I had the princess pegged since ep 2.

I have mixed feelings about the show because of this. I like how it is a fantasy-based show that is also simultaneously a mystery. There's no murders which also makes it enjoyable. The characters are evident and each have their respective flaws and whatnot. But the problem with this show is that it is very predictable. If I can peg the primary antagonist literally two episodes (and this is not including my thinking that the princess was already weird in the first episode) into a show that is supposed to revolve around the mysterious identity of the villain then that's a problem. Of course that's a problem with most closed room scenarios in the first place as the fog literally creates a closed room scenario where we are forced to suspect only the people within the barrier, and the writing directed us to think this way as well. Limiting characters like this is classic to mysteries ala Agatha Christie-style, but the biggest issue is that how characters are portrayed often times can make it easy to figure out whodunnit. I guess for me, I expect mysteries to be handled well in how they reveal a plottwist (the Umineko manga does an incredible job with this, and as does the Zero Escape video game series). The poor use of red herrings and the fact that characters are easily eliminated suspect-wise via process of elimination hurts the show. Perhaps it's also just a limit to the medium, as with manga/books you can be much more methodical about information that is given to the reader, whereas with anime you have to factor in the tone of the voice acting as well as how much you want to reveal in scenes animation-wise. And you have that god-awful cliffhanger at the end....sigh...

In any event, I would say this show gets an 7/10 for me, which isn't that bad considering I enjoyed it for the most part (the story is fairly solid, but there are many, many loose ends left untied). I was watching it as a torrent that was 420p, so I guess I couldn't quite enjoy the quality of the animation too much but there were a few scenes where the cgi was jarring (early on w/horseback riding and whatnot). The first OP was really great, but then as soon as the anime became edgy after it turned into a mystery show the OP was changed to one I didn't like nearly as much. Otherwise the soundtrack was great. So basically to reiterate my point: if a show is predictable, then it is not a good trait/quality in the mystery genre, but that does not detract from the fact that I enjoyed Rokka no Yuusha (it's not AOTY material for me, but w/e)...

Last edited:
thanks, everyone! out of the three options, I'm leaning more toward saekano right now, but I also totally forgot to include Hyouka in the poll. Hyouka is probably my first choice because of all the good things I've heard about it and because it's KyoAni - thoughts?

Acklow :

I didn't predict Nashetania being the seventh - I had a hunch it was her about halfway through the show, but after she began to act completely irrationally, it made me doubt her motives and her capabilities. I get that her pretending to go insane is all an act but there are so many better ways she could have gone about manipulating the others, not to mention the fact that her ability is so powerful that she could probably 1v6 everyone else without any trouble. In that sense her reveal was unpredictable, but it wasn't clever in any way and just raised more questions about plot holes.

thanks, everyone! out of the three options, I'm leaning more toward saekano right now, but I also totally forgot to include Hyouka in the poll. Hyouka is probably my first choice because of all the good things I've heard about it and because it's KyoAni - thoughts?
Yeah, do that.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Be warned it's slow. VERY slow. The mysteries aren't as mindbending as you'd think imo after all that extended tease.

edit: you might potentially get annoyed with Chitanda "I'm curious Oreki!" Eru.

How about Saki?

I don't know why, but I really like this series. It has two seasons worth of main story and a side story which is also canon. The manga has right now more to offer, until the next act is over, we would need to wait for a third season or another side story.

Hyouka is weird. It's really well animated and directed and has some nice character growth but the actual subject material is incredibly dull to the point where it bored me into dropping the show, though I eventually came back and finished it.

anyways Oregairu/Yahari/SNAFU etc is easily the best out of those

I'm assuming Hyouka is rather similar to Hibike! Euphonium, then, where the material can be boring for many people but the stellar animation and character interactions more than make up for it?

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Wouldn't say it's exactly boring, it's just hyouka is presented as a mistery show with like, no stakes, if that makes sense.
I guess you can kind of compare it to Gosick? I can't really put it into words

Late on this stuff.

I loved Zero no Tsukaima.
Too bad the creator died without finishing it.
ZnT has been revived and volume 21 is set to be released in February. The author left details about the novel ending and stated volume 22 would be the last one before passing away. I assume they must have enough material and a capable new author to be confident in reviving ZnT. Looking forward to reading the true ending (at least I hope it isn't the same as the Anime).

Source: http://www.zero-tsukaima.com/

Comments on the fall anime season:

Rakudai was trash, Asterisk was alright, Perfect Insider was wtf

guys, what is your least favourite show you have seen to completion?
Rakudai

Comments on the winter anime season:

A lot of being transported to another world animes these days and they have been pretty decent. I have Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! (supposed to be a pretty good comedy) and Grimgar on my watchlist currently. As for the new ecchi fantasy romcom Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut...

"Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel."

I swear I've heard this somewhere before...

Last edited:
It took a while but people finally seem to take out their nostalgia googles. It took the long enough.

Also I love to see how Hacka Doll and 35 Shotai also don't get much attention

I am glad to see Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka?? doing well, probobly my favorite slice of life anime of this season...if I recall even the only good one.

Maybe I should start watching Noragami...people recommented it enough times already.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Man I'm surprised that K:Return of Kings went downhill every week. I thought that the anime was kinda slow in the first part of it and picked up in the latter, then it really picked up the last 2 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)