5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So, uh, I'm trying to figure out how White Forest abuse works, but I can't anything on it. Of course, you need the trainer that can trigger the Pokemon you want (I want a Porygon because it should allow me to get better IV spreads because finding Poke Radar perfects is annoying) but Sweet Scent won't work...Do you just hit your Seed and hope you get an encounter?
As alluded to in my comment on White Forest abuse, it's a real pain...
Yes, you've got to just hope to get the encounter. My semi-reliable (semi meaning really not in the slightest) way of doing it was to save the game 2 steps outside of the patch of grass you find the desired mon in (saving in the grass seemed to make it significantly less likely for me to get an encounter, but that's probably placebo effect in action); hit your seed, run into the grass and (hopefully) get your encounter.

The PID and IV frame works as usual (although the NPCs advance the frame while you're there, so you'll have that battle to run with at the same time).

The other big difference is that synchronise doesn't work as usual (I believe it's controlled by Timer1, but whatever it is, it isn't the usual one frame is or isn't a synchronise frame). So any PID frame may have synchronise work, which increases the number of possible spreads you can use (no need to search for nature when performing the search); but it comes with the downside that just because you hit your PID frame (and land a nice, shiny Porygon), it won't necessarily be of the right nature (even if the frame would be if you weren't in White Forest).

Last edited:
Although your IV frame may be one, you probably need to advance the PIDRNG frame. My guess is that your starting frame isn't synchable, so you'll need to advance it by saving or viewing the summary of a Chatot with a custom-recorded chatter before you interact with the Pokemon. To figure out how many advances you need to do, copy your seed into the main window and follow the set up described here (you'll only need to check the Memory link box if you have used it, and you'll want to select Adamant from the Synchronize drop-down). Right before you click the generate button, make sure you hit the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button. That will show you your initial frame in the "starting frame" field. You'll need to advance the frame to one with a bolded nature.

For example, if your starting frame is 50 and there's a bolded nature on frame 55, you'll want to hit your seed, advance the frame 5 times, and then interact with your Pokemon.
Thanks! I somehow got one synchronized, but am still a bit confused: say I need to advance the frame 5 times, and I do that with a pair of Chatots. After opening the stats page for one Chatot, do I flip 5 times (which I think I did), or 4?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks! I somehow got one synchronized, but am still a bit confused: say I need to advance the frame 5 times, and I do that with a pair of Chatots. After opening the stats page for one Chatot, do I flip 5 times (which I think I did), or 4?
No problem (and congrats)! You'd only need to do 4 more flips, since the first time you view the stats page counts as 1.

Another question...I tried to sync the nature on a hidden grotto 6v ditto, which I got by luck. What I don't understand is the chatot pitch: after filling the main window of RNG Reporter the seed, and calculate initial PIDRNG frame and generate, I got

Frame Chatot Pitch
48 Mid(48)
49 Mid (43)
50 High(96)
51 High(93)

A bunch of natures were bolded, so I guess that's why it worked in spite of my ignorance.

But the bottom of Adjacent Seed Tool gave H(88) ML(29) L(10) H(88). They look very different. How should I understand this? Thank you.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
My initial guess would be that 48 isn't the starting frame for your seed, or that something isn't set up correctly. Could you post a screenshot of both the main window and the Adjacent Seed Tool? That would help narrow it down.

My initial guess would be that 48 isn't the starting frame for your seed, or that something isn't set up correctly. Could you post a screenshot of both the main window and the Adjacent Seed Tool? That would help narrow it down.
Sorry, I found I failed to choose Black White 2, and now they agree. Thank you.

Even if i do steady advances on PIDRNG the frame sometimes skips on a roamer? I am trying to hit a frame on a nature but i always ends up skipping it. Isn't because of the thunders? I have the season set to summer and i am using an emulator.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Even if i do steady advances on PIDRNG the frame sometimes skips on a roamer? I am trying to hit a frame on a nature but i always ends up skipping it. Isn't because of the thunders? I have the season set to summer and i am using an emulator.
The rain summoned by the roamers causes irregular advancements. So it's possible that some frames will be skipped. If you are getting close to your target frame, do a few more/fewer advances (+/- 5-10?) and see where that puts you. If you still can't hit it or are relatively far from your target frame, then you'll have to find another seed.

The rain summoned by the roamers causes irregular advancements. So it's possible that some frames will be skipped. If you are getting close to your target frame, do a few more/fewer advances (+/- 5-10?) and see where that puts you. If you still can't hit it or are relatively far from your target frame, then you'll have to find another seed.
Yeah thats what i thought. Tried 2 seeds already i ll try some more. Just wanted some confirmation. Thank you :)

I wanted to RNG for Pokemon Emerald, and PPRNG seems to lack a function for checking gen 3 stuff. Do I need to use a windows computer just for this? I also couldn't find a thread for Pokemon Emerald, so I assumed this had to be discussed here.

.com

Grumpy old man
I wanted to RNG for Pokemon Emerald, and PPRNG seems to lack a function for checking gen 3 stuff. Do I need to use a windows computer just for this? I also couldn't find a thread for Pokemon Emerald, so I assumed this had to be discussed here.
Emerald falls under Most Generations. And no, you should be able to use RNG Reporter with Wine (google the term) for mac, it just won't be particularly fast.

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
I do my RNG exclusively on Mac, and as you can see from my thread I do mostly 3rd gen stuff. If you want to ask any questions I would be happy to help :)

I'm trying to RNG a shiny Kangaskhan in White. I've always had trouble with the PIDRNG starting frame though, with or without NPCs. There are NO randomly moving NPCs on Route 15, right? Does this mean that, if I hit my seed, I can trust that my starting PIDRNG frame will be what RNG Reporter gives when I click "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame?"

I'm trying to RNG a shiny Kangaskhan in White. I've always had trouble with the PIDRNG starting frame though, with or without NPCs. There are NO randomly moving NPCs on Route 15, right? Does this mean that, if I hit my seed, I can trust that my starting PIDRNG frame will be what RNG Reporter gives when I click "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame?"
I'm not sure if there was an RNG reporter version that was reported to be buggy with stating what the starting frame you're currently on. If that wasn't the case, your RNG Reporter should be accurate enough to state what your starting frame is if there are no wandering NPCs.

I noticed that PPRNG, at least on the iPhone app, lists slot 4 as a slot for Ditto in White Version, while the encounter slots table lists Ditto as being only in slots 3 and 6. Does PPRNG use a different convention, such as numbering the slots 1-12 instead of 0-11, or is one of them incorrect?

I noticed that PPRNG, at least on the iPhone app, lists slot 4 as a slot for Ditto in White Version, while the encounter slots table lists Ditto as being only in slots 3 and 6. Does PPRNG use a different convention, such as numbering the slots 1-12 instead of 0-11, or is one of them incorrect?
You're correct; PPRNG lists slots as 1 to 12, like you mentioned. (at least on the app, which is the version I use too)

I'm having a lot of trouble with NPCs advancing the PIDRNG frame. I calibrated my SSF, and on every attempt, I button-mash to open the menu, Chatter, and Sweet Scent. Despite this, I get different Pokémon (with the same IVs, so I know it's not the wrong Timer0) for the same number of Chatters, which makes no sense, and when I adjust the number of Chatters, I still get the same Pokémon some of the time, and never what I want.

There's no way to "freeze" an NPC that I've already battled, is there?

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of trouble with NPCs advancing the PIDRNG frame. I calibrated my SSF, and on every attempt, I button-mash to open the menu, Chatter, and Sweet Scent. Despite this, I get different Pokémon (with the same IVs, so I know it's not the wrong Timer0) for the same number of Chatters, which makes no sense, and when I adjust the number of Chatters, I still get the same Pokémon some of the time, and never what I want.

There's no way to "freeze" an NPC that I've already battled, is there?
In Gen V, no, sadly. The best you can do is keep trying to calibrate the number of frame advancements through the NPCs.

The problem is that NPCs can advance the frame as soon as the game starts (which can be easily worked around by figuring out the Shifted Starting Frame with Chatter pitches) and during the Sweet Scent animation! The latter is what is throwing you off, since that's after your Chatters.

Doing the same number of Chatters and getting different Pokémon simply means that NPCs did different advancements during Sweet Scent.

My advice is to try to figure out how many advancements NPCs do during the Sweet Scent animation on average, e. g., if you do 15 Chatters and you hit 10 frames after your target, then NPCs did 10 advancements during Sweet Scent. Next time, try doing 5 Chatters and see if that works. Basically, it's trial and error, but keep it up and you'll get it.

More NPC trouble here. I'm trying to RNG a shiny egg on frame 100, seed 37274574D4C2F04A. After calibrating that my SSF was 55, I did 45 Chatters, but hit frame 101. 1 less Chatter should do the job, right? Wrong - 44 Chatters got me frame 99. Ugh, so back to 45 Chatters? That got me frame 101 again.

In short:
45 Chatters: frame 101 (x2)
44 Chatters: frame 99
target: frame 100

I button-mash to open the menu ASAP, and again to speak to the daycare man ASAP after closing the menu. I've never had this much trouble before. Any advice? Should I resave? Go for a different seed?

.com

Grumpy old man
More NPC trouble here. I'm trying to RNG a shiny egg on frame 100, seed 37274574D4C2F04A. After calibrating that my SSF was 55, I did 45 Chatters, but hit frame 101. 1 less Chatter should do the job, right? Wrong - 44 Chatters got me frame 99. Ugh, so back to 45 Chatters? That got me frame 101 again.

In short:
45 Chatters: frame 101 (x2)
44 Chatters: frame 99
target: frame 100

I button-mash to open the menu ASAP, and again to speak to the daycare man ASAP after closing the menu. I've never had this much trouble before. Any advice? Should I resave? Go for a different seed?
Different seed is an option. Sometimes I've found that just resaving can help (open the save arbitrarily and resave - the NPCs in different starting positions can sometimes change their advancements). Otherwise, you can try pressing A at slightly different speeds (do 44 advancements, then press A slower as you come out of the menu) to hopefully give them a little extra time to do a random advance.

Hi there.
Wanted to sound out a thing. So BW2 are considered harder to RNG on for several reasons, primarily their larger number of timer0 values, right? My B2 seems to have five and my W2 eight, for example. However, some values seem to be landed on far more frequently than others.

I did a rough test on B2. I chose a seed, pulled up the adjacent seed tool, and marked down which timer0 it had landed each time using chatot pitches. I repeated it 50 times, 47 of which I identified and 3 of which I failed to identify. The results for the 47 were as follows:
[1103: 1][1104: 18][1105: 6][1106: 20][1107: 2] If I only chose seeds on timers 1104 and 1106 to RNG with, I would hit them with a very high success rate. This made some trickier RNGs like ID abuse a lot easier.
Tests on my W2 had similar results, though it had three dominant timer0 values out of eight as opposed to two out of five.

Is this something that happens for everyone's games? I know that even on BW there can be a bias to one timer or the other, so I would expect so. If this is a common thing, it seems like it should be a standard part of calibrating your game in BW2 - once you've got your basic parameters, you get a seed and sit down to figure out what your main timer0 values are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)