ORAS OU Slime Season

Introduction

Sup guys, I'm decided to post a RMT because the RMT section of Pokemon Showdown provided me with no help but I'm cool, I honestly think I may retire this team soon anyway. Bulky Offense was always a favorite of mine dating back to like the DPP days so I decided that I'd give it a shot in ORAS while I was bored over winter break. ORAS is a hell of a metagame though, and it's absolutely impossible to cover every threat while retaining what I wanted in the team originally. Anywho, I'm going to stop rambling and get into the RMT. Please listen to the song below while you read this RMT, and if you haven't listened to Slime Season 1 or 2 by Young Thug yet, what's wrong with you?

Team Building & In Depth

First things first, I chose Mega Scizor to be the mega on this team. Mega Scizor is a staple for balance, providing a ton of resistances that every balance team needs and a great check to most fairies. Priority is fucking bomb too. After looking through potential sets, I decided to go with a bulky Swords Dance variant.

Latios was the first pokemon I chose to support Scizor. The main thing that Scizor fears is fire type attacks and especially Heatran. This dude handles both of them with Earthquake support. Latios also makes a decent Scald switch in because we all know Scizor hates chancing those.

Serperior was another pokemon that I thought would work well with Scizor. We already established that Scizor hates bulky waters because they can come in pretty much for free on Scizor and threaten him with a Scald burn. Serperior can take that and use it as a way to put the opponent on the defensive with a powerful Leaf Storm.

So I had a pretty decent core so far but I realized that I had a huge weakness to Talonflame. Enter Heatran. It resists both of it's STABs, gives me another fire type switch in and can gives me a way to stop opposing Scizors.

The next 2 pokemon that I added were kind of thought of around the same time. I wanted a way to get rid of Mega Sableye and get rocks up. I also needed a switch in for Bulky Chomp. Clefable found a spot as my Stealth Rock user because of it's ability to stop Chomp and Sableye in their tracks and reliably keep rocks up. Azumarill was another pokemon that I threw in. I wanted another fairy to give me another check for dragons and the CB variant proved it's worth because of it's ability to break walls down like no fucking other.

Rarri (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Main Role:
Clefable acts as this team's stealth rock user and main dragon switch in. Clefable usually leads the game for me due to it's consistency in getting rocks up and keeping them up throughout the match against opposing defog users like Latias and Mandibuzz.

Specific Traits:
Magic Guard was something that I really wanted on this team since I don't need to use up a moveslot on Clefable to heal any status the team may encounter. I can just switch Clefable into any Toxics or Wisps and not have to worry about it for pretty much the rest of the match. Mono Fairy typing typically brings in steels too, which gives me an opportunity to get Scizor in and mega evolve it early.

Moves and EVs:
I decided to run Flamethrower on this guy over Thunder Wave so I could capitalize on Skarmory and Ferrothorn switch ins before they start setting up Spikes. I don't run defog on Latios so keeping hazards like that is essential to keeping my team healthy. The spread gives me the bulky to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Latios' Psyshock and avoid a 2HKO from Jolly Mega Lopunny. I minimized Attack IVs to take less damage from Foul Play. Cool right?

CHECK (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Main Role:
Break shit. That's it. Banded Azumarill breaks pretty much every wall in OU. Most of the things that people usually carry to check Scizor either don't like taking one of this guy's STAB moves or don't like taking a Knock Off and losing their leftovers. I'm looking at you Ferrothorn. Priority is also helpful in a pinch.

Specific Traits:
Huge Power is probably the most frightening ability in the game since it boosts this guy's attack to insane levels. This guy is just impossible for some teams to prepare for, between Belly Drum sets, Assault Vest and Band, most people don't know how to work around him. Every time Azumarill switches in, the opponent usually loses a pokemon.

Moves and EVs:
Play Rough and Waterfall give me my STAB moves which have amazingly great coverage. Aqua Jet gives me another priority move that I can use to revenge kill Excadrill because lord knows Scizor can't do that. Knock Off gives me a way to break down the few walls that actually can take my stab moves, and it's honestly just a great utility move in general. The EVs give me the speed to outspeed TTar and slap it with a Play Rough; really helps against Sand Teams.

Beast (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Flash Cannon

Main Role:
Heatran is my main check to pokemon like Talonflame and my main fire type switch in. This guy is also one of my best friends when it comes to dealing with stall with its unique set of resistances and its fast taunt. It's pretty much like a swiss army knife.

Specific Traits:
Flash Fire provides me with a crucial immunity to Fire to compliment Scizor's 4x weakness. Heatran's resistances and natural bulk give me a good switch in to the likes of mega Manectric and non Focus Blast variants of Gengar. I honestly really like Heatran, since it checks so many threats that run rampant in OU.

Moves and EVs:
Lava Plume gives me a much needed STAB move with a nice chance to burn the competition (I LOVE when Gliscors switch into this guy for the first time and lose their ability to use Poison Heal). Earth Power hits opposing Heatrans on the switch in and Mega Diancie's trying to come in for free on Taunt or Toxic. Speaking of which, Taunt lets me combat Stall a little better when used in conjunction with Toxic. Most of Stall's pokemon hate Toxic, and most of their Heal Bell users are outsped and shut down with Taunt. The EVs give me enough speed to outrun Adamant Bisharp and hit it with Lava Plume before it hits me with Knock Off.

NOW A SCARFTRAN BECAUSE SCARVES ARE FASHIONABLE

Phoenix (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Psyshock
- Roost

Main Role:
Latios was originally here as a defog user but that role transitioned into a Life Orb attacker and my main switch in to pokemon like Rotom-W and Mega Manectric. It also gives me a nice check to pokemon like Thundurus without Knock Off, Keldeo and Mega Zard Y.

Specific Traits:
Dragon typing has always been a great defensive typing, netting me important resistances to Fire, water and Grass type moves. Alongside that, Levitate and Psychic typing give me useful resistances to Fighting and Ground type moves. I chose Latios over Latias because it has the Attack stat to utilize Earthquake. All in all, Latios gives me the speed, power and defensive utility I need. He fits in this perfectly.

Moves and EVs:
Draco Meteor and Psyshock are my bread and butter STAB moves, letting me break a majority of pokemon in OU. Earthquake is on this set because one of Latios' main switch ins, Heatran, is dented heavily by the move. Roost is on the set over defog because my team isn't that bothered by Stealth Rock and Roost gives me more longevity when combating Mega Manectric.

Stunna (Serperior) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Main Role:
Wallbreaker #2. Serperior's high powered Leaf Storms let me break through bulky waters that plague Scizor and like to switch in on Heatran. Balance teams hate dealing with this guy with it's high speed and power, so usually I try to get this guy in as soon as I can so I can soften up the opposing team.

Specific Traits:
Contrary is one hell of an ability, and combined with Leaf Storm, not much outside of Chansey likes to come in on this guy. It's unique speed tier gives me another emergency check to many of the faster threats in the game, like Keldeo for example.

Moves and EVs:
Leaf Storm is the main move on this set. It's a high powered STAB move that boosts his special attack 2 stages every time he uses it. Hidden Power Fire gives me sweet coverage and lets me hit Ferrothorn and Scizor switch ins. Substitute and Glare give me the ability to cripple any Tornadus-T and Talonflame switch ins that think they can check me. It's honestly pretty fucking useful since my team really hates flyers and Serperior makes the perfect bait for them. A paralyzed Tornadus isn't nearly as much of a threat as a healthy one.

Quarterback (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Main Role:
To clean up. Swords Dance Scizor makes a really good set up sweeper and once the rest of the team does it's job, not much can take a boosted Bullet Punch. Speed is the name of the game in ORAS, and priority is probably the best answer to fast threats like Mega Lopunny and shit like that.

Specific Traits:
Mega Scizor has all the bulk that Scizor wishes it had, and coupled with its resistances he makes a great early game pivot. Scizor can absorb Knock Offs, resisted hits and roost off the damage then come back in late game when all of its checks are removed to sweep.

Moves and EVs:
Superpower was chosen to be able to hit stop Bisharp, who would be a huge problem if I'm not careful. Swords Dance and Roost let me set up on Pokemon that fail to KO me and usually I'm able to boost to +6 and clean up. The EVs give me the bulk to switch in on Mega Lopunny, Mega Cham, and do cool things like never be 2HKO'd by Latios' Draco Meteor followed up by a Hidden Power Fire. Sweet right? 30 Speed IVs ensure that I with the Superpower war against opposing Mega Scizors.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's about it. Have a happy new year, watch some football, even if all the games today were blow outs. And yes, I know I'm really weak to Mega Pinsir. Fuck that thing.

Last edited:
Hi, you could try Choice Scarf Lando-T over Clefable - this change allows you to set up with Mega Scizor more easily with Intimidate support, as well as providing you with a check to Hoopa-U. It is also a nice check to checks for Mega Scizor, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, and Charizard. With this change, you would have to move Stealth Rock to Heatran over Earth Power. Your team doesn't appreciate getting burned, but you have a large number of checks for Heatran, and I think it is unnecessary to run Earth Power on Heatran as well. I would also consider using Thunderbolt + Defog over Roost + Earthquake on Latios, this lets you hit Gyarados, which is a threat to your team if it manages to set up. Furthermore, hazard control really helps Scizor, who has to check many miscellaneous threats, and will be switching in very often, and you don't want it worn down so quickly. Serperior wants Dragon Pulse so as not to get walled by Latis, so I would run that over Substitute.

Hey, cool team! As you mentioned, Mega Pinsir is a huge threat to your team. To fix this issue, use Thundurus-I > Serperior. Mega Pinsir straight out loses to Thundurus, because it resists Quick Attack, and immediately knocks out Pinsir with Thunderbolt. Prankster Thundurus gives you some speed control, as well as a fast wallbreaker for bulky waters/other pokemon that trouble Mega Scizor. Thundurus also helps a lot with Stallbreaker Talonflame, who can Taunt your Heatran, and proceed to set up with Bulk Up. Tornadus-Therian is another threat to your team, since your only flying resist is Heatran, which is damaged heavily by Superpower or Focus Blast. With Thunder Wave, Thundurus handles threats such as Charizard X, Charizard Y, Bisharp, and more. Thundurus also provides you with a ground immunity, which helps out Heatran a ton.

Since Talonflame can actually 1v1 your Heatran, I would suggest using Stone Edge > Toxic. Stone Edge allows you to kill SpDef Talonflame, before it can set up. It also helps with flying/dragons types, such as Tornadus-Therian, Latios, Dragonite, etc. Banded Azumarill can't do much after Talon has set up with Bulk Up, or if Azumarill got burned. Also, Scizor gets walled completely by Talonflame, so overall, this is a change to help your issue with the smogon bird.

Looking at your team, you have no hazard control. To fix this problem, I would suggest using Defog over Earthquake on Latios. Spike stacking teams can be problematic, since your team is more balanced. Even though you lose the lure to Heatran, you have Heatran, Thundurus, and Azumarill to beat it.

Finally, I would suggest running Dragon Pulse > Substitute on Serperior if you do not like the Thundurus change. Since your set on Serperior gets walled by dragon types, Dragon Pulse should be used since Serperior is a wallbreaker that doesn't like to switch out because of the Contrary boosts.

Unfortunately, in the middle of making this post, I was sniped by yuruuu but you know what they say, great minds think alike. Lando-T over Clefable is actually a great change, since it gives you a backup check to sand, and Intimidate which helps MScizor set up. This is a change, that you should use if you do not like my changes, so you are not threatened to the likes of Weavile, bulky waters, etc.
Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Beast (Heatran) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 60 SpD / 200 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power

EVs: 4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Changes:
>

Stone Edge > Toxic
Defog > Earthquake
Dragon Pulse > Substitute (If not changing this to Thundurus)

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
This is a pretty cool team you have there, using something that you don't see everyday, bulky SD Superpower Mega Scizor as opposed to something like SD Bug Bite/U-Turn. What's also cool about this team is that it works; SD Bulky Mega Scizor and Latios lure in Heatran and knock it out with a +2 Superpower or a LO Earthquake, so that teammates such as Clefable and Serperior have an easier time on the battle field. I can also see a nice standard Fire+Water+Grass Core to cover Scizor's checks and weaknesses. It's a pretty solid build overall, but it does have its weaknesses.

After analyzing the build, the biggest threats are Mega Pinsir and Talonflame. Specially Defensive Talonflame is a problem because your bird check is Heatran, which is Taunted preventing you from getting a Toxic on it, and then Brave Birded repeatedly. In addition, Clefable, Serperior, and Scizor are completely walled by it, Azumarill doesn't like its Attack diminished by a Will-O-Wisp, and Latios is 2HKOed by Brave Bird because of its -Defense nature. Mega Pinsir is a problem to the team because Mega Scizor is complete set up fodder without an attack boost, and even worse, -1 Atk if you have used Superpower. You have 0 counterplay after Pinsir sets up a Swords Dance, especially since Latios is OHKOed by +2 Quick Attack and the rest of the team is OHKOed by Return.

Only one thing I suggest, Scarf Heatran>Taunt Toxic Heatran. Scarf Heatran is a viable set that would cover a lot of threats to the team, mainly the aforementioned ones. Even with a -Atk nature and 0 Atk EVs, it still OHKOes Talonflame with a Stone Edge, and you OHKO Mega Pinsir with a Overheat. I suggest Overheat as opposed to something like Fire Blast because Nasty Plot Thundurus could be troublesome if Latios is weakened, especially since your running Magic Guard>Unaware on Clefable.
IMPORTABLE
Quarterback (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

CHECK (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Psyshock
- Roost

Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-312371452 vs a Mega Pinsir team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-312382035 scarf Tran comes clutch last turn

If you have questions, feel free to get in contact with me :] Just give me a shout on my Smogon Wall. Good luck dude ;]

Last edited:
Thanks for the rate bros, really appreciate it. The only suggestion that I tried that I really liked though was scarftran over bulky tran. I miss the lefties recover but the ability to revenge kill talonflame and Pinsir are priceless

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
What I think About Your Team First Glance

What an awful song. *sigh Team looks somewhat generic the heatran set is weird and seems out of place. The scizor should run alot more speed.

How You Can Improve Your Team

x Weakness? (Heatran) (M) @ Power Herb
EVs: 140 HP / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This set allows you to take out many of scizor's counters.
This set allows you to live a fb from timid char y and kill it in return as well.
You can also lure in bulky chomps for your scizor and bop them with hp ice.

Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Thunder Wave would help to take away the tran's speed so your scizor can clean up.
Also you can para a talonflame and not let it mess up your sweep [:

Scizor @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

This allows you to outpseed bulky monsters such as rotom and slow tran and be able to kill them after plus 2.
You actually able to take out alot of monsters at plus 2 and scizor is so bulky at times you can take it to plus 4.

Conclusion
Scarf Tran may work better. It depends on what you think mate. Listen to better music plz :P
I wish you massive success buddy and hope you take my changes into consideration.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)