CAP 21 CAP 21 - Part 12 - Sprite Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alright, time to get moving along with these polls once again. Here, we will be deciding which sprite set will represent Crucibelle. Note that these sprites will be shown on PS when a user has "Use BW sprites instead of XY models" selected in settings. Note that both base form and mega sprites will be voted on together as a pair; you cannot vote for one person's base sprite and a different person's mega sprite. By voting for a single name (this is single bold voting anyway), you are voting for both the submitter's base and mega sprites.

Renders of 3D models will be decided in a different thread.

----

This will be a single bold vote, which means that you vote for only one of the submissions. A typical vote might look like the following:
My Preferred Entry

If the voter wishes, he may post comments on his vote below the actual vote. Only the vote itself should be bold and none of the supplementary text should be bold.
CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
  • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
  • Do NOT put any formatting other than bold in your post.
  • Only one option per line.
  • Spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed above.
  • Capitalization and spaces are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
Composing a proper ballot is easy. Enter BBCode Edit Mode (the A in the upper right corner). Copy/paste the options directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Delete and/or rearrange the options to suit your preference and the poll type. Bold your vote text using bold tags or re-enter rich text mode, highlight your vote and click B. Spelling or formatting errors may spoil your ballot, so be careful!

Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to #cap on IRC.

----

Check out the submissions thread for sprite discussion that can help you make your decision!

When voting, only use the submitters' names to indicate which entries you support.

Here is the slate:

Ice-cold Claws
noobiess

And here are their entries:

Ice-cold Claws>>>

noobiess>>>

This poll will last 24 hours.

------

CAP21 so far:

Name: Crucibelle
Typing: Rock/Poison
Abilities:
Base - Regenerator / Mold Breaker
Mega - Magic Guard
Stats:
106/105/65/75/85/104 > 106/135/75/85/125/114
Moves:
Dogfish44 said:
We don't know that much about Crucibelle - but we know that it is shy as heck. We can also say, purely from looking at it (And Magic Guard), that it's slightly mystical. I've themed Crucibelle around this - giving her moves which allow her to keep her distance and stun foes, as well as area control.

Crucibelle would likely be a common site in abandoned villages and the like. Not that Crucibelle would have anything to do with the village being abandoned, but Crucibelle are shy enough that they probably don't notice the village being abandoned to begin with. Not that they're bothered, either.

HS Head Smash
- Astonish
- Endure
- Protect
- Withdraw
5 Rock Throw
7 Toxic
10 Fake Tears
14 Confusion
16 Confuse Ray
19 Toxic Spikes
23 Smack Down
25 Reflect
28 Sludge
32 Acid Armor
36 Rock Slide
40 Psybeam
44 Hex
48 Torment
52 Rock Blast
56 Gunk Shot
60 Explosion
(LU Pattern, starting from 5, was +2/+3/+4 up to Acid Armour, then +4s onward)

Early on, Crucibelle are very cautious, very nervous. They learn quickly how to hide themselves and survive attacks inside their pot. As they grow, they learn how to manipulate and trick others into not attacking them, as well as how to keep threats at bay. Eventually their tricks become meaner and more damaging.

Barirng Astonish, every move Crucibelle uses is non-contact. Crucibelle is much happier hiding in her pot than being that close to people. Heck, even from Level 5, Crucibelle will trade their ability to Astonish for the ability to throw Rocks at people. Because people should leave them alone.

Head Smash is Heart Scale'd here - if only because with that giant Helmet it doesn't make sense for it to only learn that through breeding.
Amorphous/Mineral
Coil (Eelektross)
Defense Curl (Sudowoodo)
Rollout (Sudowoodo)
Wood Hammer (Sudowoodo)

As per usual Egg moves contain moves which don't generally fit the 'personality' of the mon, I don't feel would work well as HS moves, but can't be gained through TM or Tutor. I don't think that wild Crucibelle would generally want to spend a lot of time wrapping up on itself as in Coil and Defense Curl, especially when she already has Withdraw, and she's not the type to often make big contact strikes as with Wood Hammer.

Rollout is on there because Crucibelle could literally curl up into it's pot and roll into a target. Interestingly, of the 16 mons who get Rollout by Egg, 11 also get Defense Curl by Egg, which is partly why Crucibelle has it.
TM06 Toxic (R)
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect (R)
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM23 Smack Down (R)
TM27 Return
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM32 Double Team
TM33 Reflect (R)
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM41 Torment (R)
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM63 Embargo
TM64 Explosion (R)
TM66 Payback
TM68 Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM71 Stone Edge
TM80 Rock Slide (R)
TM83 Infestation
TM84 Poison Jab
TM86 Grass Knot
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM89 U-turn
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Secret Power
HM06 Rock Smash

Crucibelle gets all of the TMs you'd expect your average Poison and Rock mon to get. Psychic and Shadow Ball complete the theming from the LU movepool. Grass Knot is in here both because a lone Wood Hammer is weird, and because Crucibelle would be the type to trip a foe up before they ever reach her.
Snore
Low Kick
Iron Head
Zen Headbutt
Gunk Shot (R)
Block
Skill Swap
Helping Hand
Trick
Snatch
Magic Room
Wonder Room
Stealth Rock
Gravity

Quite a lot of moves here. The two headbutts are here for obvious reasons, especially since we have Head Smash. Block is included because of it's popularity within Rock types. Gravity is also included - although Rock Types learning gravity comprise of only 10 of the 55 Rock-Types, Crucibelle's mystical theming (Similar to Carbink and Lunatone) makes it ideal to learn Gravity. I've also added a couple of other sort of "area" moves, playing into the fact that Crucibelle likes to hide and control if, when, and where she fights.

Notably I've excluded Gastro Acid. Compared to the other Poison-Types which learn Gastro Acid, Crucibelle's Muk-like body felt out of place.
Acid Armor
Astonish
Attract
Block
Coil
Confuse Ray
Confusion
Defense Curl
Double Team
Embargo
Endure
Explosion
Facade
Fake Tears
Frustration
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Gravity
Gunk Shot
Head Smash
Helping Hand
Hex
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Infestation
Iron Head
Low Kick
Magic Room
Payback
Poison Jab
Protect
Psybeam
Psychic
Reflect
Rest
Return
Rock Blast
Rock Polish
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Throw
Rock Tomb
Rollout
Round
Safeguard
Sandstorm
Secret Power
Shadow Ball
Skill Swap
Sleep Talk
Sludge
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Smack Down
Snatch
Snore
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge
Substitute
Swagger
Torment
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick
U-turn
Venoshock
Withdraw
Wonder Room
Wood Hammer
Zen Headbutt
Total Moves: 70
Restricted Moves: 33

Physical Attacking RMs (15):
Explosion
Facade
Frustration
Gunk Shot
Head Smash
Iron Head
Low Kick
Payback
Poison Jab
Return
Rock Blast
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Wood Hammer
Zen Headbutt

Special Attacking RMs (6):
Grass Knot
Hidden Power
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave

Non-Attacking RMs (12):
Acid Armor
Coil
Protect
Reflect
Rest
Rock Polish
Sleep Talk
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Toxic
Toxic Spikes
Trick

Move-Move Misses & Rationale:
We do miss a few. Better to address them, since I feel missing them is completely justified in these cases.

We have Confusion without Flash and Psych Up. My justification here is that of the Poison-Type lines which learn Confusion (Venonat+, Dustox, NidoranM+), only the former learns Flash, whilst none of them pick up Psych Up.

Because of Stone Edge, theoretically Strength should be a thing. However, the presence of Rock-Type Pokemon like Diancie, Carbink, Solrock, and Lunatone is enough, especially with Crucibelle's body structure being so fluid. I'll also note Archeops as an example of a case where even a higher ATK stat doesn't imply Strength ^^'

Finally, Torment usually implies Taunt. However, Taunt would lead to things attacking Crucibelle... which I imagine Crucibelle would not be fond of, given her trait of shyness. Also, Taunt is banned.

Art Design:

Base Forme

Mega Evolution

Leadership Team:

jas61292 - Topic Leader (hi jas!)
imanalt - Typing Leader
DetroitLolcat - Abilities Leader
sparktrain (aka lovable nerd) - Stats Leader
HeaLnDeaL (aka loser) - Movepool Leader

Concept:
Name: Typing Underdog

General Description: A Pokémon which utilizes an undervalued typing to its full potential, by playing towards both its strengths and weaknesses.

Justification: Each typing possesses a unique set of characteristics, causing all of them to perform very differently in various aspects of battle. However, not every typing has been granted the opportunity to display this potential, being forced into suboptimal roles by virtue of stats, ability and movepool, and therefore often being labelled as “bad”.
This concept aims to do a detailed analysis on the primary function of such a typing along with its potentially unexplored capabilities, by creating a Pokémon that that emphasizes the typing’s most prominent traits and utilizes them effectively.
This approach will not only allow us to widen our understanding on the unique niche and preferred playstyle of the typing, but will also give us additional insight on the mechanics that lead to success and failure of the typing when comparing CAP to the wielders in the lower tiers.

Questions to be answered:
  • What are the most important traits the Pokémon gains from the chosen typing, both positive and negative?
  • Is quality or quantity of weaknesses/resistances/immunities more relevant to the chosen typing? What does this mean for the way it is played?
  • How significant is the niche provided by the typing in OU? Are there any striking flaws in the typing that can’t be played around and prevent the Pokémon from performing reliably?
  • How reliant is the typing on stats, ability and movepool in order to succeed in OU?
  • Are the unique characteristics granted by the typing enough to set the Pokemon apart, or does it face strong competition for its role from Pokémon of other types?
  • Is there any distinct playstyle that suits the chosen typing the best? Or can the same typing be utilized in an entirely different approach to similar success?
  • How important is a type’s versatility for its overall success?
  • Is a single Pokémon capable of portraying most relevant aspects of the entire type?

noobiess

I prefer the shiny color and the sprite is nearly perfect to the original design staying anatomically correct.

noobiess

It was close, but I liked the shiny a little more (felt the radioactive green was a bit much) and I liked the back hair more too.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
noobiess

I really like the shiny sprite and it is more anatomically correct to Ylix's design.

Ice-cold Claws

I usually don't vote for my own - especially since I did omit the back spikes, which seems to have cost me - but I can't get over the fact that noobiess's Mega front sprite is missing its fingers. The tentacle shading is very well handled though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)