Pokkén Tournament

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Two new sets of Support Mons announced: Togekiss + Rotom and Dragonite + Victini. What they do is currently unknown.
Still, they better add more than that.
Thing with Pokemon games is, if they don't include a large amount, some Pokemon fans will be butthurt because their favs aren't in the game.
Which is why the Gen 5 Mystery Dungeon went wrong as well.

Boxart is hype until you notice that they've left the Photoshop transparency layer in the bottom left corner. Amazingly this isn't even the first time Nintendo has done this:

How much effort would it have taken to put some sodding sky in?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It was confirmed that there would be local battling, but one player is required to use the gamepad.

RIP potential competitive scene. I thought TPCi wanted this to be played alongside VGC, yet they've already killed/heavily damaged the possibility of that happening.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It was confirmed that there would be local battling, but one player is required to use the gamepad.

RIP potential competitive scene. I thought TPCi wanted this to be played alongside VGC, yet they've already killed/heavily damaged the possibility of that happening.
I'm guessing it was either this or no local. Seeing how the battle is like, to do local on one screen they'd either have to pull out so far so you'll see the entire battle (but barely see the fighters) or have the characters fighting on a 2D plane. Each player needs their own screen and with the Wii Gamepad having a screen this gave them the alternate method.

However as long as they have online it doesn't matter for VGC as they can just use two different machines and two different screens (sure this isn't the only game they need to do that with).

Karxrida

Lag is a thing that people really want to avoid, especially if you're a competitive fighting game player. They should have stuck to a 2D plane so both players used one screen and people wouldn't have to fight over controllers at local tournaments (or home).

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I'm guessing it was either this or no local. Seeing how the battle is like, to do local on one screen they'd either have to pull out so far so you'll see the entire battle (but barely see the fighters) or have the characters fighting on a 2D plane. Each player needs their own screen and with the Wii Gamepad having a screen this gave them the alternate method.
This makes no sense as Tekken, Naruto games (Like Ultimate Ninja Storm) and Soul Calibur have all done 2 player on one screen before. Naruto especially because the fight areas are pretty large (probably larger than Pokkens). The zoom really makes no difference to a fight. I am completely confused by this strange limitation. Do the arcades have two screens showing each side of the battle or something?

Cresselia~~

If I remember correctly, that was only Ishihara's wish, and Ishihara is not part of Game Freak. Ishihara is the one who developed the anime, and currently the CEO of the Pokemon Company.
Ya, what he says probably represents TPCi, but still, it's not Game Freak.

Only just caught up on this news, as I had a bit of a Poke-holiday over Christmas. I'm disappointed that there will be no split-screen but it won't stop me buying Pokken as I mainly just want to have a game where Pokemon battles play out like they always did in the anime.

I'm also mindful of other times when "local multiplayer with separate screens" has been tried on the Wii U. Local co-op in Hyrule Warriors was plagued by frame-rate issues (at least at launch), almost like the two players had to share the 30 frames per second between them. Splatoon, meanwhile, had a local two-player mode. Remember that? You probably played it once before realising that it sucked.

The funny thing is that I preferred to use the Wii U Gamepad screen on my TV since it doesn't have the lag that the TV has. As long as the framerate doesn't suck, I'm sure it'll be usable for me at least assuming it looks the way I figure it would.

Karxrida

Last edited:
A new character is being announced next week on the 15th. They gave a hint just like what with down with Sceptile: it has "ラ" in its name.

Here's the list of possible Mons.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...ament-Console-release&p=17890790#post17890790

Please be Darkrai.

EDIT:

Assuming the following post is correct, we're getting a curveball that very few people will like.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...ament-Console-release&p=17890841#post17890841
It's incredibly interesting to see staff members say they're salty about an aspect of their own game which should be being hyped.
To the point I highly doubt that post's legitimacy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hmm, well first who do they mean by "staff"? They can't mean the game's staff because those people would have to be pretty out of the loop for them not to know what a main fighter in the game was. Maybe Pokemon Company staff? That would make more sense, and may also help us possibly figure out what this Pokemon could be.

Anyway there are a lot of Pokemon on that list I don't know who to choose (though I think we can probably remove Pokemon who aren't fully evolved, sorry Kadabra and Scyther; only Pikachu gets special treatment... AND maybe Jigglypuff and Meowth). If I was forced to pick one I guess I'd pick... Flygon. I can see plenty of move possibilities with it, we don't have a Ground- or Dragon-type fighter yet, and it's a popular Pokemon (or was, which I think may play to its benefit).

Assuming the staff they're talking about is knowledgeable about Pokemon, my guess is their picks will mostly be popular picks (or course there will be a few favorite picks). Out of the 45 who guessed, only 1 got it right, 13 are still happy with the pick, and 31 are "salty". Now it's important to note that the 31 who are "salty" could just be mad their Pokemon didn't get picked, they didn't say they hated or liked the pick. Because of that we can't really base their response that much on the picked Pokemon though it wouldn't be out of reach if we assumed at least didn't honestly like the pick because they feel it doesn't fit. But back on point, my guess is that a lot of them probably picked a popular Pokemon: Swampert, Heracross, Kangaskhan, one of the Hitmons. However with only one person getting it right that tells me the immediate obvious choices aren't it. BUT that doesn't mean a favorite, or used to be favorite, wasn't picked. Infact I'm more willing to bet a b-squad favorite might be the Pokemon, one who might even had some attention for a little while. That gets me back to Flygon. Flygon was popular during ORAS since we all wanted it to have a Mega Evolution and for a little time after many were sour that it didn't get one, so much so GF made a statement about why (they had planned, but couldn't think of a good design). And so with that Flygon sunk back down in popularity, in people's memories but with no Mega it's hard to stand out for long. But maybe the Pokken team when picking fighters remembered this and seeing possibilities for a literal dragonfly that floats, and maybe deciding it throw it and its fans a bone for not getting a Mega Evolution, chose it. I can see one Pokemon Company staff remembering/liking Flygon past the hype, other's liking it, and people within the "salty" group having trouble seeing what fighting style it'll have and/or thinking there would be better options (like a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution).

Just to voice my thoughts on other picks I'm seeing:

Swampert: I'd like a Water-type starter, but not Swampert. We got Sceptile representing 3rd Gen starters, let's get another gen in. Feraligatr, Empoleon, Samurott, or Greninja (and Greninja seems the most likely at this point with its anime presence and it being in Smash). Also I'd imagine it would be a popular pick being a Water Starter.
Darkrai: It would be nice to have another Legendary in and Darkrai has fighting potential... but I can see one problem. If they're going to have Darkrai they'd probably also want to incorporate its gimmick somehow which I can see being a difficult thing to do. Putting your opponent to Sleep, even for a few moments, I can see breaking up the flow of the game. Now Darkrai can still operate as a frail sweeper and maybe only have its super attack having it put its opponent to sleep with Dark Void as it attacks them with Bad Dreams/Nightmare/Dream Eater, but there are other such Pokemon that can fill that role say like Latios. That said, I can see someone saying it was their pick as an oddball and they just so happened to be right.

But we shall see... and as long as it's not another Cosplay Pikachu.

They actually left us TWO hints to what the newcomer is. Pay attention to the question mark the last time this happened:

And take a look at it now:

Get ready to skip leg day, guys! although I guess Luxray is also a possibility

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
They actually left us TWO hints to what the newcomer is. Pay attention to the question mark the last time this happened:

So... the Pokemon is blue? Well then that leaves us with Tentacruel, Gyarados, Lanturn, Kingdra, Hitmontop, Swampert, Manetric, Latios, Rampardos, and Carracosta.

Hmm, you know, for right now I'm not going to take the question mark color into account since one time does not equal a pattern.

Cresselia~~

Where does it say that the Pokemon's going to be blue though?
I can't find that anywhere!

If so many staff members are "salty", then I suppose it's not a popular Pokemon.
And only one staff got it right.

Last edited:
Where does it say that the Pokemon's going to be blue though?
I can't find that anywhere!

If so many staff members are "salty", then I suppose it's not a popular Pokemon.
And only one staff got it right.
It doesn't say it's blue per se, it's just that they made a deliberate choice to change the highlight color of the question mark when they could have kept it the same color. The previous question mark hiding the identity of the green Pokemon Sceptile having a green highlight hardly seems like a coincidence now.

And I'm not sure if that staff members being "salty" thing is accurate information. I've yet to see that claim be properly sourced.

Cresselia~~

It doesn't say it's blue per se, it's just that they made a deliberate choice to change the highlight color of the question mark when they could have kept it the same color. The previous question mark hiding the identity of the green Pokemon Sceptile having a green highlight hardly seems like a coincidence now.

And I'm not sure if that staff members being "salty" thing is accurate information. I've yet to see that claim be properly sourced.
That "salty" bit is legit, it's on the Twitter poll itself. You can't see probably is because you don't read Japanese.

That "salty" bit is legit, it's on the Twitter poll itself. You can't see probably is because you don't read Japanese.
Really? Interesting, well I'll buy it then. Makes me wonder what kind of "staff members" these were that didn't know the character in advance. I'd have thought it would be playtesters, but who knows?

Cresselia~~

Really? Interesting, well I'll buy it then. Makes me wonder what kind of "staff members" these were that didn't know the character in advance. I'd have thought it would be playtesters, but who knows?
They could be secretaries working in the same office, or people who answer the phones. This is also where they get females to test their games too.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Random unrelated thought to the new reveal, what are the chances of something relating to Zygarde being in the game?

Random unrelated thought to the new reveal, what are the chances of something relating to Zygarde being in the game?
Anywhere between no chance at all and absolutely definite. The way they're going with the roster strikes an odd balance between clearly relevant (oras starters, megas, pikachu-libre) but at the same time they don't exactly feel there to advertise new features as such. At least, that's the way I'm feeling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)