Other The Genius Forum Game [Signups]

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Since circus is dead right now, I figure now is a good time to reboot this.

I'm hosting a game based on the Korean variety/reality game show called The Genius, there's a smogon thread on the show here. The Main Matches are similar to the games Bass has hosted in the past on these forums. The focus of each Main Match is to determine who will play in the Death Match, where two players go head to head to decide who is eliminated from the game. There is also a game currency, called Garnets, that can be accumulated across the rounds, spent on advantages in the games, and used as an incentive in negotiations.

This is a 13 player game. The entire game will be able to take place on the forums, with IRC assistance for real-time communication, but it may be easier to run some of the Death Matches and some of the Main Matches with less people (preferably rounds with 6 or less) fully on IRC to speed things up.

If more than 13 people sign up, I will choose the playerlist at my discretion. IRC channel for the game is #GeniusGame (on synirc) and if you hang out there before the game starts, you will be more likely to get in.

Activity will be very important in this.

1. Game Basics:

-There will be 13 players in the game.

-Each round will have a Main Match and a Death Match. The Main Match determines the winner(s) and elimination candidate(s) of the round. The Death Match will pit 2 players against each other to determine who is eliminated.

-The Main Match will be a test of the players’ wit, tactics, cooperation, social skills, etc.

-The Death Match will be a one-on-one test of the players’ wit, tactics, cooperation, etc. Often times, the players not in the Death Match will still play a role in determining the winner of the Death Match.

-The winners of the Main Match will each receive a Token of Life. Players with a Token of Life cannot be chosen to participate in the Death Match. A sole winner will receive 2 Tokens of Life, and will have to give one to another player.

-The loser of the Main Match will be the elimination candidate of the round. This player will pick a player without a Token of Life to participate against in the Death Match.

2. Garnets:

-Garnets are the game currency of The Genius Game. Each player will begin the game with 1 Garnet.

-Garnets may be obtained during the Main Match, usually by winning, or sometimes via other means. The Main Match post will describe how to obtain Garnets during that Main Match.

-Garnets may be spent during the Main Match to obtain certain advantages. The Main Match post will describe how and for what to spend Garnets during that Main Match.

-The player who wins a Death Match will receive the Garnets held by the loser of the Death Match.

-Garnets may be given or traded to other players.

-After each Main Match and Death Match, each player’s Garnet count will be made public.

3. Inventory:

-Each player will have an inventory during the course of The Genius Game to hold all of their items, as well as their Garnets.

-At any time in the game, you may PM the host “Give/Take/Trade/Show [item/Garnets] to/from <user> (for [item/Garnets])”. Giving the item will remove the item or Garnets from your inventory and add the item or Garnets to the target’s inventory, as long as the other player Takes it from you. Trading will give the item or Garnets to the target in exchange for an item or Garnets from the target, as long as both players have the same trade agreement. Showing the item or Garnets will give the target confirmation from the host that the user is holding the item or Garnets.

-Most if not all items will only be held during the specific Main Match that they apply to, and will leave the inventory after that Main Match ends.

4. Winning the Game:

-The last player remaining in the game will be The Genius Game Champion.

-The players eliminated prior to the Final Match will still have something to do, so you may want to pay attention as the game goes on.

5. Various Other Rules:

-Activity will be very important to this game. If you are anticipating a period of inactivity, please let the host know. I’d prefer not to sub people in a game like this.

-IRC will be very important to this game. It will greatly help in streamlining the game and making it easier to communicate. If you cannot be at least somewhat active on IRC, you may have trouble in the game, and I would recommend not signing up.

-I will accept actions, etc, over IRC. The official game channel is #GeniusGame on synirc. However, note that there is a small chance that I may miss your action should you send it over IRC. If I do not respond, I likely missed your action.

-You may not quote/paste any information from the host. The Show Item command allows you to confirm certain things, but some host information will only be confirmed to the player it was originally given to.

-No deadtalking.

-I retain the right to prevent you from “gaming the system”. This will only be used in extreme measures.

-No anonymous nicks will be allowed for the purposes of this game. No impersonating as well.

-There will (hopefully) be a postgame, so any insight I have into the thoughts of the players will help.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
Phuq I've been beaten to hosting this

I'm interested if the deathmatches are actual 1v1s rather than involving other players, as that always seemed like a weak point of the show to me.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
Phuq I've been beaten to hosting this

I'm interested if the deathmatches are actual 1v1s rather than involving other players, as that always seemed like a weak point of the show to me.
there will be some that involve the other players but they are more to the scale of betting RPS than winning streak game, where even if you're at a social disadvantage you will still have a shot

(ps was your post a signup post?)

UncleSam

Leading this village
there will be some that involve the other players but they are more to the scale of betting RPS than winning streak game, where even if you're at a social disadvantage you will still have a shot

(ps was your post a signup post?)
It was but give me lower priority than other signups (I'll sub in if needed as well).

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
I'm probably going to close signups and decide on a playerlist tonight, so if you are thinking about signing up, do so within the next several hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)