SPL 7: UU Discussion Thread

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-114483

So, teal brought a fairly standard Mega-Bee bulky offense with CB Krook and Specs Kyurem as wallbreakers, plus some hazard support from Pert/Forry. dice brought a full Trick Room team, which is always a risky proposition, as TR teams are very, very matchup based. That said, teal is known for playing hyper offense, which is a TR team's best matchup... but unfortunately for dice, that's not what teal brought today.

Honestly dice played fairly well this game, staying in it by keeping up offensive pressure against teal's team despite the matchup advantage, but teal just had to play it safe and he was pretty much guaranteed to bring home a W, which he did in the end.

yea pretty cool game. In hindsight missing that focus blast on rem was pretty important seeing as explosion didnt take it out but that's how it goes.

Teal had no ground resists (I did it first bro) and dice's team was weak to a bunch of shit (not because of poor teambuilding, that's just what happens when you use fucking trick room lol).

Despite that dice probably still would've won if he hit focus blast but teal got bailed out by a giant miss while wasting his wincon...

Overall not much more to say about the game personally, but teal had it secured regardless of diancie diamond storm'd the kyurem because of adamant drill run beedrill protect shenanigans

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-114483

So, teal brought a fairly standard Mega-Bee bulky offense with CB Krook and Specs Kyurem as wallbreakers, plus some hazard support from Pert/Forry. dice brought a full Trick Room team, which is always a risky proposition, as TR teams are very, very matchup based. That said, teal is known for playing hyper offense, which is a TR team's best matchup... but unfortunately for dice, that's not what teal brought today.

Honestly dice played fairly well this game, staying in it by keeping up offensive pressure against teal's team despite the matchup advantage, but teal just had to play it safe and he was pretty much guaranteed to bring home a W, which he did in the end.
omfg I called the dice win. It'd be fucking sick if all my predictions are right. 2 for 5

Yeah, teal made an unnecessarily risky play bringing kyurem in on tangrowth, seeing the trick room structure of the team he could deduce that it was offensive tang and brought in florges or forry much safer. Unfortunately for dice, the focus blast predict didn't pay off and he ended up losing a ton of momentum by panicking (maybe) and clicking focus blast again, which could've been an easy predict, seeing as teal didn't want kyurem going down. The matchup was kinda bad for dice as well but theoretically he had a chance to win but it was slim as soon as luck gave a chance to kyurem. gg to both

For hikari v koko, bringing in snorlax on the rotom was a pretty big misplay that koko got rewarded for. Even though the rotom was tricked scarf, I don't understand why wisp wasn't the play, which would have been phenomenal seeing as it was seen to be CB lax. That would've left the empoleon relatively healthy to take an outrage from mence, as I believe the empoleon was shuca ice beam specifically for a situation like that. Koko did do a good job of eliminating all the stuff that wasn't affected by intimidate so the late gam triple intimidate spam was pretty huge and sealed the game. I don't particularly agree with hikari's playing of infernape as well, he lost it to a spin kill and having rocks up in the lategame would've made the intimidate spam that won koko the game impossible. GG to both again, was incredibly entertaining to watch.

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
For hikari v koko, bringing in snorlax on the rotom was a pretty big misplay that koko got rewarded for. Even though the rotom was tricked scarf, I don't understand why wisp wasn't the play, which would have been phenomenal seeing as it was seen to be CB lax. That would've left the empoleon relatively healthy to take an outrage from mence, as I believe the empoleon was shuca ice beam specifically for a situation like that. Koko did do a good job of eliminating all the stuff that wasn't affected by intimidate so the late gam triple intimidate spam was pretty huge and sealed the game. I don't particularly agree with hikari's playing of infernape as well, he lost it to a spin kill and having rocks up in the lategame would've made the intimidate spam that won koko the game impossible. GG to both again, was incredibly entertaining to watch.
i have facade you fucking doofus

edit: i actually predicted and wanted him to wisp. thought it was obvious.

i have facade you fucking doofus

edit: i actually predicted and wanted him to wisp. thought it was obvious.
lol that's what i figured after i typed all of that, knowing me not possibly during the game and type up a paragraph of silly words

Btw I was scald m-pert for sableye but sitll I knew he would bring it and I didn't want to make my team worse by replacing one of the crucial mons for more support vs sableye..

Still, that's why I had lum coba and precautions to deal with it but overall the weakness to sableye basically formed that whole game for me so I'll be more weary of that thing in the future.

Last thing: I don't think the para on coba mattered, and the burn on sableye stopped the game from being based on a cobalion speed tie, which was still in my favor. If he wins speed tie and hits focus he wins; if he wins speed tie and misses focus I win; if he loses speed tie I win, so it was slightly tilted in my favor but the burn basically ended the game regardless. I think he still could've forced a speed tie to win at the end if he didn't recklessly switch coba in on rotom-c tbolt because the hit itself left him too weak to do anything (I also got a low roll on tbolt, even an average roll would've put him 1 rock switch-in away from death and a high roll would've straight-up OHKO'd coba so...)

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
told you to run lum krook bitch.

why didnt you set up sd on the -2 mence and go for the 65% win there btw

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Fuga v bugzy was interesting. They both brought fairly similar bulky offense teams, with Mowtom/Mence/Coba/Mega-Pert making appearances on both teams. They also had some neat surprises, like RestoChesto Snorlax on Omfuga's side and Specs Cobalion on bugzy's.

The game seemed like it would be a close match. Unfortunately, once bugzy's Mega-Pert dropped, it became a game of not letting Omfuga's Cobalion get a Swords Dance off, as the best bugzy could hope for at that point would be to win a Speed tie and land a Focus Blast. That put bugzy on the defensive, which gave Omfuga plenty of breathing room with his own Snorlax and Mence (for example, on turn 20 bugzy was forced to choose between letting Snorlax rest up to full health or potentially get swept by Cobalion, as it hadn't revealed item yet and could have easily been packing Lum for Sableye). bugzy's Sableye tried to pull him into a stronger position, but Omfuga pretty much had it from there. The TBolt para on bugzy's Cobalion sealed the deal, but things were already looking pretty grim for bugzy at that point.

Yeah, teal made an unnecessarily risky play bringing kyurem in on tangrowth, seeing the trick room structure of the team he could deduce that it was offensive tang and brought in florges or forry much safer. Unfortunately for dice, the focus blast predict didn't pay off and he ended up losing a ton of momentum by panicking (maybe) and clicking focus blast again, which could've been an easy predict, seeing as teal didn't want kyurem going down. The matchup was kinda bad for dice as well but theoretically he had a chance to win but it was slim as soon as luck gave a chance to kyurem. gg to both

Blastoise threatened everything "except" Heracross, which couldn't do anything against triple intimidate and didn't really like any of Blastoise' moves, and it wasn't going to be worn down reliably by anything but Infernape.

If infernape takes minor damage from anything, say Krook's SR, it becomes late game setup fodder for Gyarados and Salamence, and to make it work I had to:

- Preserve my sash till late game
- Kill Blastoise
- Stop Krook from setting up Rocks

Late game rocks sound useful on paper, but considering getting them up late game meant auto losing to the two sweepers he had, unless I played godlike and absolutely everything went my way, it wasn't worth the risk.

Also I'm not going to lock myself into WoW against a team with a Lax that was either Curse or CB Facade (A Sam set), let Krook setup SR for "free", or a Memento Whimsicott (which could 2HKO the Rotom and Memento something else if I switched out).

Anyway, it was a really fun game for me. The triple intimidate core was pretty annoying to face because it basically made CB Heracross worthless, which forced me to save it for late game, but I believe I played well and don't really regret any of my moves.

kokoloko

[1/16/16, 5:47:32 PM] kokoloko: BR are u around
[1/16/16, 5:47:40 PM] kokoloko: why didnt you go hera after i killed rotom
[1/16/16, 5:47:45 PM] kokoloko: were you not shuca
[1/16/16, 5:47:46 PM] kokoloko: emp
[1/16/16, 5:47:54 PM] kokoloko: or no ice beam?
[1/16/16, 5:51:07 PM] kokoloko: either way idgi
[1/16/16, 5:51:25 PM] Sam: well
[1/16/16, 5:51:33 PM] Sam: if he wasn't shuca than
[1/16/16, 5:51:37 PM] Sam: ccing with hera
[1/16/16, 5:51:40 PM] Sam: let mence setup
[1/16/16, 5:51:41 PM] Sam: andwin
[1/16/16, 5:51:44 PM] kokoloko: i mean if he wasnt shuca it made sense
[1/16/16, 5:51:47 PM] kokoloko: or even if he didnt have beam
[1/16/16, 5:51:50 PM] kokoloko: but both seem unlikely
[1/16/16, 5:51:53 PM] kokoloko: maybe he was
[1/16/16, 5:51:54 PM] kokoloko: chople
[1/16/16, 5:51:54 PM] kokoloko: i guess
[1/16/16, 5:52:00 PM] Sam: idg why he wouldn't be shuca on that team tho
[1/16/16, 5:52:21 PM] Sam: and if you're offensive you gotta have ibeam
[1/16/16, 5:52:27 PM] kokoloko: wait maybe he was
[1/16/16, 5:52:29 PM] kokoloko: actually metaya
[1/16/16, 5:52:32 PM] kokoloko: petaya*
[1/16/16, 5:52:35 PM] kokoloko: like we thought lol
[1/16/16, 5:52:41 PM] Sam: no
[1/16/16, 5:52:42 PM] r0adyy: I rly
[1/16/16, 5:52:44 PM] Sam: didn't you get him down to
[1/16/16, 5:52:45 PM] r0adyy: wanted to see agility emp
[1/16/16, 5:52:47 PM] Sam: under 25
[1/16/16, 5:52:50 PM] kokoloko: o yeah i did
[1/16/16, 5:52:52 PM] kokoloko: hmm
[1/16/16, 5:52:55 PM] kokoloko: chople i guess
[1/16/16, 5:52:56 PM] kokoloko: dunno
[1/16/16, 5:53:09 PM] Sam: I only like chople for
[1/16/16, 5:53:10 PM] Sam: luring coba
[1/16/16, 5:53:14 PM] Sam: was he coba weak
[1/16/16, 5:53:19 PM] Sam: I guess
[1/16/16, 5:53:45 PM] kokoloko: i mean i guess he could have just been scared of missing stone edge on gyara or something idk.
[1/16/16, 5:53:52 PM] kokoloko: w/ aero if i set up i mean
[1/16/16, 5:55:05 PM] kokoloko: actually i think he figured i’d switch out if hera came out and i’d stay in to get weakened by emp
[1/16/16, 5:55:08 PM] kokoloko: for florges
[1/16/16, 5:55:12 PM] kokoloko: that must be it
[1/16/16, 5:55:26 PM] kokoloko: cause florg was his best shot

Mazar

Banned deucer.
Yes I choked, I didnt want to miss Power Whip on Gyarados and tried to sack Moltres (Stone Edge Miss was not rly important tbh, because Moltres only work to do was to check that Cobalion, but when it revealed Stone Edge Moltres was practically "useless".

Then he missed the Bounce and I didnt see which Leftovers went first. I was really upset and it just showed the immense of pressure while playing in SPL. It doesnt really help when people who didnt get drafted talk shit about you, it doesnt help when a player gets shittalked in his first SPL season in a tier which is not his main tier (and no RU is not my main tier either). Good Luck xMarth in further matches, I hope to see you again in finals and make up for that poor lategame.

Hikari yeah, as I said to koko the very thought of facade lax only graced my mind long after I had posted that, my b, my b.

As for the rocks, I saw how threatening blastoise was and agree that taking it down was a good option. I was assuming you had a plan to control the DD sweepers because gyara behind a sub meant gg mid-game.

I like just woke up before watching you guys play so looking back on it I made some silly claims and I'm not inside your head so idk your entire process. Plus I think I'm a pretty mediocre battler so my analysis of battles is like 3/10. Was really enjoyable to watch nonetheless

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Koko vs Hikari - I thought both sides played well with the only potential falter being leaf storming a second time into snorlax, although that was sort of a strange situation since the initial miss complicated things. Keeping the Scarf seemed really valuable to me while I was watching but I can see why the play was made. I also thought that not having aromatherapy sort of limited hikari's options when it came to dealing with the Blastoise. If Florges could've handled Blastoise and healed off a burn, it could have remained relatively healthy later on and nothing really wanted to come in versus Florges aside from Snorlax which opens up for doubles, wearing it down, etc. I still think that sacking nape to trade was a fair play but I think maintaining the sash for later on could have been a possibility.

Teal vs Dice - Kyurem doin' Kyurem. Focus Blast miss was really unfortunate and Teal was a bit overeager with that. Other than that, both sides played pretty solid from what I saw. Bronzong is a beast as per usual, love that dude.

Fuga vs Bugzi - I thought Bugzinator played the early game really well and allowed himself multiple opportunities to fire off Draco Meteors into a Leftovers-less Snorlax. This initially led me to believe it was offensive while I was watching but a reveal later on that it was RestoChesto put a damper in Bugzinator's plans. Specs Cobalion also made a pretty big splash by essentially removing Mega Swampert on surprise factor. Also, if turn 20 was really a custap bluff, that was insane. Lum Coba was in a solid position from the start, especially once Omfuga was able to trade away Krook for MPert. I'm not sure if saving some HP on MPert was reasonable but I think it might have been depending on how much Bugzinator valued his item on Salamence since he could still roost on Krook.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)