The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
time zone stats:

since 2012, Seattle is 9-10 in 1 PM East Coast games, counting playoffs. They are 1-3 in the playoffs.

in those 4 playoff games, these are the points split by half:

1st half: Seattle 0 - 75 Opponents (Bears '10, Falcons '12, Vikings/Panthers '15)

2nd half: Seattle 86 - 30 Opponents

since 2012, Seattle is 53-21 overall, counting playoffs. This means they are 44-11 (80% win percentage) in non 1 PM East Coast games.

overall, West Coast teams playing at 1 ET don't exactly fare well.

conversely, West Coast teams dominate MNF games (8:30 EST start times) for the same (opposite?) reason

yea, Seattle got shafted by the start time, though it's really the fault of the networks chasing ratings rather than any actual anti-WC conspiracy

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
conversely, West Coast teams dominate MNF games (8:30 EST start times) for the same (opposite?) reason
yeah this 100% doesn't surprise me if there's statistical evidence for WC teams performing worse at 10am games that the reverse is also true. you know how you're supposed to avoid screens/mind intensive stuff for a couple hours before bed? if the normal cycle is 10pm-6am then the 8:30 EST start time is under 2 hours before the EC players SHOULD be going to sleep, but over 4 hours before WC players should. iirc the games don't end until after the EC players should be asleep.

of course, no excuses, if we wanted to not play bs 10am games we shouldn't have fourth quarter choked our way out of the division and high seeding.

i think you can attribute some east coast media bias to when the games are distributed. carolina may have only lost one game but they just.. aren't a hype team like the north-eastern teams are, y'know? not when you can put the steelers in the primetime slot against NOTED WHITE QB. which is of course, nothing more than a ratings gambit.

it's why the titans/jaguars/rams/browns and so forth don't get many good timeslot games. nfl doesn't think anyone is hype to watch them. except seeing the rams kill their division rivals' dreams then lose every other game :pirate:

also

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
k that makes sense cause the way people on both sides were slipping looked like it was a muddy grass field. always a #blessed game when your cleats just couldn't dig into the grass cause the grass was so torn up from use and rain. i don't know if carolina's field is a dome or not and i'm gonna assume it's open since >the south it just looked super sloppy for a playoff game field. frkin mud always made the car so dirty after too >:(

do i really need to contradict Pretzels idiot post :\ i guess so

1. regarding start time, yeah, it is inconvenient for west coast fans to have to be up and ready to watch by 10? do you see east coast fans ever having to be up at 10 for their games? aside from the london games i think those start early. i don't get what your point in even calling that out is except your idiot, pathetic east coast bias thinking the entire rest of the country doesn't exist. the 1pm pst start time is fine, that's 4pm est so it's a fair time for everyone to watch. lets you do whatever religious thing or sleep in then get up to watch the shenanigans.
i don't get how you can even compare preemptive "this ref is denver biased we're gonna lose cause the ref somehow makes enough calls to give the win to denver" whining with "this is actually an inconvenient time" after the time is assigned?
the seahawks apparently have 0 points in 10am first half playoff starts. they suck the first half usually anyway and idk how much is actually attributable to the earlier start time but it's an interesting factoid.
you get ppl being all "i dont get jet lag over 3 hours its not real" but sleep cycles ARE a real thing. even if the seahawks tried to adjust their cycles to east coast time while in washington you still have to make sure you manage the light cycles for that and there are psychological impacts of having skewed wake-up times. the 'normal' sleep cycle for an adult is 10pm to 6am so that's playing 4 hours after when you feel you're supposed to wake up versus playing 7 hours after. and if they wake up at 6am on the east coast that's 3am to their native cycles.
i don't blame their loss/performance on the early start time that much but there's reason to believe it could be a factor and that still doesn't change the fact it's a crappy start time for the west coast that east coast fans NEVER deal with.

2. lol do you think field condition isn't a valid concern? for both teams? it would impact the panthers' play too. it looked like more seahawks players spun out and carolina probably knew what cleats to have on to start but i saw some of their players slip as well. it's dumb to not be able to watch good plays cause people can't get any traction on the field and when a field is that slick/muddy wew lads.

3. you can skew a critique of how dreadful that throw was however you like, and with your victim complex you have proven to be most proficient at skewing reality to support your narrative.
"that throw was so bad and so off it must have been intended to be such" is pretty clearly the meaning there not an actual conspiracy theory. but, i can understand why you project your own twisted vision of the facts :^)

finally, use your own team's memes and trollpics. about the only ones you can use against us are heartbrokensherman and cryingwilson i think there's a crushedpete too, not our top kek ones like that.
proper use of team's imagery against them to display my dissatisfaction with your projection issues:

Pretzels talking about the Pats is a slightly more intelligent some hero talking about the giants. Don't get your panties in a bunch over it.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i think you can attribute some east coast media bias to when the games are distributed. carolina may have only lost one game but they just.. aren't a hype team like the north-eastern teams are, y'know? not when you can put the steelers in the primetime slot against NOTED WHITE QB. which is of course, nothing more than a ratings gambit.
If you're referring to the opening game of Steelers-Patriots, it was the Super Bowl Champions vs what at the time was considered to be one of the top contenders for this year's SB. Yes it's good for ratings, but it's also a good game in general. Opening day has become a huge spectacle, why would you NOT choose a matchup like that for it?

As for this whole game time coastal bias business, perhaps it just has to do with the fact that there are 19 EC teams and 13 non-EC teams, so they'll be screwing less teams by doing it the way they do vs the opposite? The NFL is officially an entertainment business, so they're always going to do what makes them the most money and satisfies the most fans. I know it sucks and isn't quite fair for the West Coast teams, but are you really going to blame a business for doing what makes them most successful?

I'm sure there would probably be a way to balance things and make it fairer for everyone, but it'd be a pretty radical change I'm sure that the NFL is just not going to be willing to do.

Also I would happily be up at 10am to watch football. In fact, watching football from 10am to 8:30pm would probably fit better with my schedule as I have children. Staying up until 11:30pm just isn't possible for me anymore.

Yeti

dark saturday
WaterBomb
No I meant the Steelers Broncos playoff game. But I suppose there's not much difference in my definition between the dankeys and cheatlords :^)

I mean I GET the east coast bias. Your cities are much denser and closer together than ours and you have a lot of them. The western states will have one major sprawling metropolitan area. (California has several but if it was an east coast state it would have one per 'state' it is so large) The eastern ones have more people.

I don't think east coast people can really perceive the bias. Like how white people and men often can't perceive casual racism or sexism. If you aren't on the receiving end of it or it favors you, you don't notice. It's like how the Cardinals have actually been Really Good but they get 0 media hype or attention. The only reason they didn't steal the division from us last year was Palmer and their second qb both went down when they were like 9-0 or something. They have a long, storied history of suck so the media don't care, not east coast.

EC teams drive ratings. An accepted fact. But an annoying one for teams who don't fit the conventional narrative and get shafted as a result.

The Titans are sort of weird cause they're much more east than west but just... nobody remembers them or talks about them.

I don't think east coast people can really perceive the bias. Like how white people and men often can't perceive casual racism or sexism. If you aren't on the receiving end of it or it favors you, you don't notice. It's like how the Cardinals have actually been Really Good but they get 0 media hype or attention. The only reason they didn't steal the division from us last year was Palmer and their second qb both went down when they were like 9-0 or something. They have a long, storied history of suck so the media don't care, not east coast.

EC teams drive ratings. An accepted fact. But an annoying one for teams who don't fit the conventional narrative and get shafted as a result.
location is irrelevant. popular franchises attract viewers. popular franchises make money. the Cardinals are not a popular franchise. you know what is a popular franchise? Cowboys baby!

media bias is a very real and very big thing, but don't act like it's EC vs WC. sure, the Cards and Raiders get shafted in the media, but you're not trying to say the Bucs/Titans/Jags/Bills/Browns aren't also shafted are you? Seattle is one of the most talked about teams in the NFL, and the 49ers are pretty influential in the media even when they're mediocre. whatever two teams in up in LA will be front and center right alongside the Cowboys/Patriots/Eagles/Giants for years to come.

also there's the fact that there's literally 3x more teams in EST than PST (or around that) and among them are the oldest teams in the NFL and AFL, so it's not really a surprise that they are on average more popular in general

Also I would happily be up at 10am to watch football. In fact, watching football from 10am to 8:30pm would probably fit better with my schedule as I have children. Staying up until 11:30pm just isn't possible for me anymore.
After the DST kicks off here and is off for you, football Sundays start at about 4 pm and end around 3 am in Brazil

About the whole Coast bias, the bias is real for selecting MVPs. The bias is real for selecting Hall of Fame players. But I don't see this bias really happening when defining schedules and stuff. And I can't be affected by the perception myopia, since I'm not even from the US, and my team isn't on either coast.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If Seattle remains successful for a few more years, they will become as hype as the Patriots. Nobody really cared about the Patriots before they won back to back Super Bowls. Green Bay and Dallas are also two of the biggest hype teams in the NFL and they are not East Coast. Someone also mentioned San Francisco and Oakland, who WERE hype teams for a long time because they had prolonged success. Once a number of years had passed since they were successful, the hype died down. Just like the way the Patriots hype will die down about 10-15 years after the Belichick-Brady era ends in New England and they go back to being average.

Yeti did you really just compare EC bias in the NFL to casual racism and sexism?

Yeti

dark saturday
The gravity of their impacts in society are completely different but they are valid comparisons for the purposes of detectability by those who benefit from them.

Man I swear yall need to step up your critical analysis skills what I'm saying and why ain't complex =/

Also we have been in a pit of mediocre obscurity most of our history. Our media hype is some solid recency bias. We will return to the pit someday as all teams must. Until then enjoy staying mad kids.

oh i forgot to post CLOTS FAN trying to tell me that Bortles was a "homer" pick, and then get upset when i said Tim Tebow was a shitty quarterback.

he also tried to tell me that all Florida schools are shady and have a history of corruption, to which i said "i don't give a shit about college football" which caused him to go on and on about how i couldn't really be a fan of football if i didn't like college football.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Pittsburgh was in a pit of obscurity for 40 years before they became relevant. And that was in a league with like 8 teams. Seattle will most likely be relevant for a while, as long as the organization can maintain this foundation and build reasonably well upon it. This success is that first step, so I think you should be optimistic about the future.

Also my critical analysis skills are fine. I understood perfectly what your analogy was intended to mean, I was just remarking on your choice to use a subject like that as part of it, rather than something more innocuous

Over 500 consecutive successful extra points by Gostkowski... The last one he missed was in 2006. The same year Vinatieri became a Colt. Also the same year the Colts won the Super Bowl... Peyton Manning was their QB. Gostkowski missed this Extra Point against the Broncos. The Broncos' QB is Peyton Manning. COINCIDENCE???

Yeti

dark saturday
tom brady = not fourth down jesus

rip cheatriot dreams no repeat end of an era bill b exposed as FRAUD, found out, never to win again

I've been saying the broncos were the best team all season. And ya'll kept hyping the pats. What happened? Broncos won the number 1 seed, swept the pats and are going to the super bowl. I love being right hahah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)