2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine Liverpool with an actual goal keeper and defense...imagine Man U fielding their players in their natural positions and dropping Fellani...Imagine Arsenal not getting a red card for fouling/getting fooled by Deigo Costa...

If MU dropped Fellaini or we had De Gea, they wouldn't have defeated us with that lucky Rooney shot.

For me, the Mertesacker one is an obvious red. He was the last man ( goalscoring opportunity ) and the tackle was nowhere near the ball. Costa was playacting but that should be a red regardless.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Current form never seems to matter when we meet and despite how wasteful we were, we still crossed the finish line in front. And it was refreshing to witness the men in blue seeing out a one goal cushion by trying to add to it. Mertesacker deserved what he got. That being said, Costa's fall looked like a dive but I'm not sure if it was one because he would've been through on goal if he had carried on. Rémy won't be giving Guus selection headaches any time soon, if I had a nickel for every time he was caught offside today, I'd be rich. His touch was just as bad if not worse.

HBK

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/01/ramires-departs
£25 million......not a bad price for a 28 year old. This sort of came out of nowhere but it's a good sign, we need players who can perform more consistently, the only thing consistent about him is his work rate. He will always be remembered for that devastatingly beautiful chip against Barcelona in 2012 though.

Last edited:
Only Chelsea can sell unwanted players at high prices. 50 mil for David Luiz, 22 mil for Schurrle, 18 mil for De Bruyne and now 25 mil for Ramirez.

HBK

what does mikel offer though that ramires doesnt?
Ramires is more of a box to box midfielder but his passing and shooting let him down as one. As a CDM, his tackling and positioning leave something to be desired. Mikel has experienced something of a resurgence lately, he rarely ventures forward, is a better tackler and is pretty much a third CB most of the time. However, he can't create chances or score goals to save his life which makes him dead weight when we're chasing a lead and, like the past 2-3 seasons, I still think of Mikel as an average at best player that I'd like to see sold.

today sportscenter tweeted that liverpool and man city will meet in the capital one cup final and called it a meeting of "english giants"

somebody then tweeted to them "lol liverpool is not an english giant"

i logged off twitter immediately.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
depends on your definition lol, if we consider they've not won a title for what, 22 years and constantly piggyback off former glories compared to current successes such tweets make more sense. In honesty I don't really consider any English club a giant due to how the standard of the top of the premier league has dropped in comparison to the rest of Europe.

re: Ramires vs Obi Mikel, there isn't really much of a comparison outside of position for me, Ramires is a much more dynamic and energetic player, while Mikel is more disciplined and you could say 'boring' in his style. Excellent business for Chelsea though, making a 7mill profit after 5 years of good service, capped by 'that' goal vs Barcelona.

Leicester apparently bidding for every striker under the sun, looks like we missed out on Eder to inter so now being linked with musa of Moscow. Not sure how happy I am with going abroad but seeing as we missed out on the steal Charlie Austin was we have little choice.

Player I was most hoping to see a late deal for was Higuain after he's been simply sensational this year(1st in race for Europe golden boot I believe) but I can't see it happening until summer at least.

Ramires is more of a box to box midfielder but his passing and shooting let him down as one. As a CDM, his tackling and positioning leave something to be desired. Mikel has experienced something of a resurgence lately, he rarely ventures forward, is a better tackler and is pretty much a third CB most of the time. However, he can't create chances or score goals to save his life which makes him dead weight when we're chasing a lead and, like the past 2-3 seasons, I still think of Mikel as an average at best player that I'd like to see sold.
I would have thought selling Mikel would have been the better move tbh. Ramires can still offer a little more at the moment and keeping him on board until summer when two proper CDMs could be brought in would have been the better move but not sure

HBK

I would have thought selling Mikel would have been the better move tbh. Ramires can still offer a little more at the moment and keeping him on board until summer when two proper CDMs could be brought in would have been the better move but not sure
I think they should both be sold. Though our performance this season and our current league position may not reflect this, we're a club that competes at the highest level and we can't do so depending on average players like them. But Mikel's been really good for us since Guus took over and our results improved, so I guess Guus felt he was worth keeping around till the end of the season, especially since Matic has looked uncharacteristically shaky this season.

Apparently, the Pato transfer is officially official, except it's a loan deal. Smart move, he may be young for how long he's been around but be could easily be Torres/Falcao 2.0

Apparently, the Pato transfer is officially official, except it's a loan deal. Smart move, he may be young for how long he's been around but be could easily be Torres/Falcao 2.0
Hard to believe he's just 26, seems like he has been around forever. I don't know about you but the Pato deal has got Falcao written all over it imo. Out for a long time due to injuries, playing in a bad league, high wages - at least you didn't sign him on a long-term contract (what was Mourinho thinking? He saw Falcao flopped at Man Utd)

HBK

Hard to believe he's just 26, seems like he has been around forever. I don't know about you but the Pato deal has got Falcao written all over it imo. Out for a long time due to injuries, playing in a bad league, high wages - at least you didn't sign him on a long-term contract (what was Mourinho thinking? He saw Falcao flopped at Man Utd)
And Tottenham signed Villas Boas after they saw him ruin our season before Di Matteo salvaged it. Sometimes, people make dumb decisions when they're desperate.

I think they should both be sold. Though our performance this season and our current league position may not reflect this, we're a club that competes at the highest level and we can't do so depending on average players like them. But Mikel's been really good for us since Guus took over and our results improved, so I guess Guus felt he was worth keeping around till the end of the season, especially since Matic has looked uncharacteristically shaky this season.

It just seems wrong to sell without a replacement readily available. In the summer I would say go ahead and sell both but selling one without picking up another in january doesn't seem like a great move. Also the pato deal doesn't look like a great idea aside from the loan period

I always liked Ramires. He was pretty good when he first arrived and he always seemed to score good goals. Also didn't seem like a complete prick.

I don't know what's going on at Chelsea because their youth cup winning sides of the last half decade are nowhere to be seen. But then again youth promotion has stalled at all the big clubs since Fergie left except maybe Arsenal and Tottenham.

Next summer is gonna be mad with all the expected managerial changes and RM potentially going big on the market. Will Pellegrini go? Will Mourinho go to Utd? Will Chelsea get a new manager? Klopp's first summer transfer window. Will all of them spend big? Could be a potentially very expensive time to buy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)