The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i finished both seasons of chihayafuru and ended up being horrifically blue-balled by the lack of romantic closure SO i went to read the next 60 chapters of the manga and am now horribly depressed by the direction that it went (it's still amazing, just not exactly heartwarming)

pls send recommendations for good romances / romcoms / SoLs with actual romantic closure that will make me feel warm and fuzzy inside
hourou musuko is a good manga, its my fav one, read it (its lgbt tho)

RODAN

Banned deucer.
i finished both seasons of chihayafuru and ended up being horrifically blue-balled by the lack of romantic closure SO i went to read the next 60 chapters of the manga and am now horribly depressed by the direction that it went (it's still amazing, just not exactly heartwarming)

pls send recommendations for good romances / romcoms / SoLs with actual romantic closure that will make me feel warm and fuzzy inside
Golden Time

Golden Time
i picked up golden time back when it was airing and it wasn't really my thing, plus people mentioned something about a certain ghost dragging the show down

a friend of mine recommended toradora and i'll probably go with that. hourou musuko looks good but i'll backlog it for now, seeing as toradora is something i should probably have already watched by this point

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I'm reading a lot of manga atm but most of it hasn't been finished yet. I probably would look at finished stuff.

Try Evergreen or Wagatsuma San if you want good romantic closure (the former is a Romance/Drama while the latter is a RomCom).

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jojo / steins gate manga worth it? I have a criminal justice gen ed class thats easy af but nothing to do for 2 and a half hours

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i picked up golden time back when it was airing and it wasn't really my thing, plus people mentioned something about a certain ghost dragging the show down

a friend of mine recommended toradora and i'll probably go with that. hourou musuko looks good but i'll backlog it for now, seeing as toradora is something i should probably have already watched by this point
ive seen a good amount of romances and if my avatar wasnt enough of a clue...toradora is my absolute favorite. the sort of show thats so good that when i finish it im sad it isnt real

edit: OH yeah and GT sucks, rodan has shit taste, is this a surprise to anyone? it starts off promising and the latter half is...terrible

Last edited:

Acklow

Jojo / steins gate manga worth it? I have a criminal justice gen ed class thats easy af but nothing to do for 2 and a half hours
Jojo manga is amazing from what I've heard. Steins;Gate doesn't have a manga iirc other than some spinoffs, so idk. Have you watched Steins;Gate?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Jojo manga is amazing from what I've heard. Steins;Gate doesn't have a manga iirc other than some spinoffs, so idk. Have you watched Steins;Gate?
he's probably thinking of the Steins;Gate VN since that was the source material in which case i've not played the VN but i've heard that the anime is a very faithful adaptation of the "true route" so unless u wanna explore the alternate routes there's little point

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://myanimelist.net/manga/17517/Steins_Gate

Was i mistaken? D:

No i havent watched it yet, but i want to which is why i was going to try reading it

Sadly cant watch it in classbecause thats too conspicuous and at least if im reading stuff i can hear the teacher in the background a bit

Ill definitely check out jojo manga!

Acklow

Oh, I guess I was mistaken. I would read it for sure, but imo the Anime is great as is the VN.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Finished Gurren Lagann.

Really fun show, and I'm not really much of an anime guy. The ending was sad, though. ;~;

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
ive seen a good amount of romances and if my avatar wasnt enough of a clue...toradora is my absolute favorite. the sort of show thats so good that when i finish it im sad it isnt real

edit: OH yeah and GT sucks, rodan has shit taste, is this a surprise to anyone? it starts off promising and the latter half is...terrible
golden time owns, the amnesia plot is heavy handed and poorly executed but thats not the reason to watch it. the reason is the character interactions from the main group with eachother. may be a tinge of bias because kaga kouko is one of my favourite anime characters of all time tho.

golden time owns, the amnesia plot is heavy handed and poorly executed but thats not the reason to watch it. the reason is the character interactions from the main group with eachother. may be a tinge of bias because kaga kouko is one of my favourite anime characters of all time tho.
Let this be a lesson, kids: if you like something ironically for long enough, you'll trick your own brain and end up liking something that's objectively shit

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is anyone else here reading Scum's Wish? I'm enjoying its kinda unique take on the usually very clichéd "secret love" sub-genre of romance/seinen manga. Instead of having the characters swooning every time they see their love, it focuses on the emotional weight that it puts on the characters and, while not all that realistic in terms of the characters' activities (you'll know what I mean by the end of chapter two), its still a mostly enjoyable read. Don't read it at work/school though, as while it isn't explicit (its marketed as seinen so its primarily aimed at teens) its not the kind of thing you'd want your boss or peers to see you reading at times.

It's time? It's time.

Tier Watch it

Boku Machi / ERASED - A visually appealing drama that isn't cringeworthy and doesn't ooze of incompetence. Yeah this is pretty good so far! The ED is nice, since it's directed by the Shinsekai Yori dude.

Active Raid - Doesn't have as much of a hook as the others but I'm liking the heck out of it, because it's basically workplace drama sprinkled with political commentary and other fun witty stuff. It's a blast to sit through. The action scenes look funny sometimes but the animation itself is really consistent and the character designs are A+. I mean the unimportant throwaway digital mascot character has the best design I've seen since Guilty Crown's Inori. The original character designer is Shun Saeki, the guy with the same role for Food Wars, which had like the best set of character designs period. Kind of ashamed of myself for not making the connection sooner.

Dimension W - So goddamned earnest. It's so sloppy and amateurish. And really passionate and excited, it's impossible to drop. I mean, it's funny calling it a passion project when it's basically catering to the audience in a lot of ways (typical cyberpunk setting, aaand the breakdancing, oh baby) but you can tell they're trying hard to make it an exciting, fun show, and it's kind of working. The directing is silly sometimes but the accompanying animation is pretty good.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - Uhh, I haven't watched the second and third episodes yet. But people are saying it's consistent with the first, which was my main worry when I found out the first double feature episode was basically DEEN rearranging the OVAs that came a while back. I thought the show was gonna break down when they had to do it weekly but apparently it's still good so... if the first episode is anything to judge by, this will be a really interesting series to follow. It's an atypical anime about personal drama and, uh, rakugo, which is pretty boring but the anime pulls it off well enough without flopping. Nothing else is actually noteworthy about it. It's just gonna have an interesting story and passable production values across the board. Which is a lot to ask for normally, so!

Sekkou Boys - It's short and it's pretty funny. Really.

Tier Watch it Maybe

Dagashi Kashi - Mmm, thought it was gonna be more entertaining. It's a middling comedy anime with awesome character designs that are abused... sort of well, but not enough. You can't really go wrong with it, if it doesn't bore you.

Girls Beyond the Wasteland - Oh man, I was ecstatic when this came out. Came in expecting a typical trash show, got a show that pretty much did everything right. Really good, solid animation, good cinematography and good script. I guess the plot was boring, but... hey, I was really impressed with the somewhat real representation of real not freaky human beings. It was to the point where the lead girl was the only crazy person in the show, and even that wasn't all that bad. Aaaaaand then came the second and third episodes where the show started tilting its otaku hat and did the thing these shows do that I really hate, praising otaku culture, portraying how it's totally a normal hobby for normal people. This isn't the first show to do this at all. Hell, NGNL did this shit with games and gamers. So the show went quickly from being impressive to kind of annoying, and still boring, so, uh, no. To its credit it's still scarily consistent. It's one of the best produced shows of the season.

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! - lol. Way to toot your own horn, show. Anyway uhh this is kind of crap but in a placating way that can be watched and enjoyed. Mildly funny. I guess that's it.

Koyomimonogatari - God dammit. This is the first Monogatari installation where SHAFT really don't give a fuck. It's not a very good adaptation, even though it's still Monogatari. Might actually damper my motivation to watch the rest of the season if I keep going. Kizu come sooner.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd put Hai to Gensou no Grimgar in "Tier Watch it" 'cause it has both the best visuals and arguably the best soundtrack out of anything that has aired so far this season, and it is just such a relaxing, enjoyable watch. Seriously, if it weren't for Erased existing this'd be on track for AotS imo.

Schwarzesmarken is also good enough to warrant that placement from what I've seen from the first three episodes, although it is still greatly overshadowed by Erased and Grimgar.

tcr

sage of six tabs
id put Grimgar in "Must Watch" if shit actually happened in it.

For those that have read the LNs or whatever this is based off of, does shit get better? Like is there actually conflict? Thus far its just been
them struggling to kill goblins and make money and dealing with living in a coed environment
. It feels like the sometimes ecchi part of it is the only thing that's actually attention grabbing. Its nice that it has a good soundtrack and visuals and whatnot but why am i spending 20-30 minutes watching them dick around about cooking and dumb stuff when just to see pretty pictures (that you could just look at things like concept art on mal) or to listen to the soundtrack (which you could just purchase somewhere anyway).

Like the 3rd episode was better in having more stuff happened but honestly this is starting to feel like one of those anime where its entire goal is to make you "feel" something rather than be a gripping show with a good plot (like angel beats! still don't know what the fuck was happening half the time but the last 2 episodes made up for how slow it felt).

pls tell me it gets better, I don't really want to drop it since it IS very pretty and has a good soundtrack D:

I'd put Hai to Gensou no Grimgar in "Tier Watch it" 'cause it has both the best visuals and arguably the best soundtrack out of anything that has aired so far this season, and it is just such a relaxing, enjoyable watch. Seriously, if it weren't for Erased existing this'd be on track for AotS imo.

Schwarzesmarken is also good enough to warrant that placement from what I've seen from the first three episodes, although it is still greatly overshadowed by Erased and Grimgar.
I probably should have included it with the other shows I'm less happy about. The second episode had this gigantic disconnect where they wanted you to feel the characters coping with the goblin fight and coming to grips with it and instead it's a boring montage followed by the girls buying underwear. I ragequit hard.

Oh yeah I forgot about the KyoAni show too. Chuunibyou Phantom World. The first episode had the best bit of unintentional comedy in a while where they were mourning the electric poles. It's trash even with the visual oomph from KyoAni.

Martin

Idk I rather like how not much is happening in Grimgar personally. It's honestly just relaxing to watch something as slo-paced as this, and I rather liked the montage for that same reason; the beautiful art style and soundtrack pair perfectly with how slow-paced it is, allowing me to kind of lie back on the sofa and separate myself from the stress of yhe world when watching through just how tranquil I feel when watching, and the characters are all likeable in their own way while all being quiet/friendly (with the exception of one) - which really helps the show retain the aforementioned tranquility during interractions. Honestly though, beyond Grimgar this season is lacking in the "relaxing" department outside of the Tabimachi Lateshow - and I need something to just sort of unwind with (which is part of why I like Non Non Biyori and Non Non Biyori Repeat so much) to stop me going completely insane and me not really being relaxed by things like taking a bath or sitting in a room doing nothing but listening to vinyls: making this ideal for streaming on a sunday or monday evening when I feel stressed from a levels and the mountain of homework/revision that comes with them.

Acklow

id put Grimgar in "Must Watch" if shit actually happened in it.

For those that have read the LNs or whatever this is based off of, does shit get better? Like is there actually conflict? Thus far its just been
them struggling to kill goblins and make money and dealing with living in a coed environment
. It feels like the sometimes ecchi part of it is the only thing that's actually attention grabbing. Its nice that it has a good soundtrack and visuals and whatnot but why am i spending 20-30 minutes watching them dick around about cooking and dumb stuff when just to see pretty pictures (that you could just look at things like concept art on mal) or to listen to the soundtrack (which you could just purchase somewhere anyway).

Like the 3rd episode was better in having more stuff happened but honestly this is starting to feel like one of those anime where its entire goal is to make you "feel" something rather than be a gripping show with a good plot (like angel beats! still don't know what the fuck was happening half the time but the last 2 episodes made up for how slow it felt).

pls tell me it gets better, I don't really want to drop it since it IS very pretty and has a good soundtrack D:

Grimgar manga isn't really fanservicey at all. But it's only six chapters in translation-wise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)