Doubles Team Study: Week #6 - Matame

approved by kamikaze17 and Arcticblast; OP kinda stolen from Analytic and steelphoenix
Doubles Team Study

Welcome to Doubles' Team Study! The idea of this thread is to look at experienced players' teams and learn from them. Studying teams can help you understanding how the team works, what the main goal of the team is, what the builder thought while building the team, how they support their mons, etc. Also it's good for some inspiration, finding weaknesses of a team is a very important thing everyone should be able to do!

Each week, I will post a team from a high-level player, which will be analysed by the community. Things to cosider when posting are what his goal / inspiring idea was, the role of the pokemon he chose, the movesets and spreads, and the strengths and weaknesses. After the discussion, the builder himself will post a analysis of his team and will answer open questions. The week's best analysis will be posted in the OP.

curent team by Matame (& Paraplegic):

Maniac (Conkeldurr) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

Temporal Spire (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Bronzong @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 48 Def / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Safeguard

Sylveon Plath (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam

I don't want to be strict with your post, but here's a little assistance:
What do you think was the main/inspiring idea/goal the creator of the team had when building this team?
Is there a discernible core that he tried to build around?
What are the strong points of the team? What are the weak spots?
How could his use of certain EV/moveset twists help his team vs specific threats or archetypes?
How does he use some underrated threats to give his team an advantage?

Last edited:
Week #1: Stratos (& qsns)

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect
It actually started as a hail team, qsns and I were building for Arcticblast and a lot of the mons he liked were weak to Ice. We had Abomasnow + Steel Wing Talonflame and immediately added WP WG Aegislash to deal w/ Rock-types. At this point we were weak as fuck to Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, Heatran, and Aegislash, so we added Taunt Keld, though honestly QG probably would have made more sense w/ the talon weakness. Anyways Talon, Keld (and other fightings), Tran, and Lando-T were still big problems and Intimidate would really help dealing with Kangaskhan as well, and also Salamence is fuckin brokenly good yo so it was a natural choice for the fifth spot. Lastly we wanted something that could handle Rock Slide, Heatran, Thundurus, and Talonflame all of which were big threats. For a while we were absolutely blanking on what we could add and then me and qsns at the exact same moment said TURBO RHYPERIOR and changed the Talonflame to Tailwind and the Aegislash to speedy because double tailwind is really dumb but it's such a great meme. After a test match we realized that all of our Heatran checks get destroyed by Latios and all of our Latios checks get destroyed by Heatran and Abomasnow wasn't really doing anything, so we changed it to Kangaskhan, went w/ the LK set to beat Tran+Kang and because the team didnt have any support for PuP anyways (though u could probably use PuP since it has double tailwind). Changed the Aegislash to Goggles after getting demolished by Diancie + Breloom.
The main goal of the team is just stuff that doesn't like getting paralyzed + offensive rhyperior with tailwind support. Goggles aegislash gives him a sleep immunity, prevents diancie and landorus from completely wrecking the team, and is a good kang switch in/trick room check. Taunt Keldeo is really nice on this team for giving him another stop to trick room because aegislash can't ohko any tr setter other than reuniclus and needs life orb to do so. But I think it's more for preventing amoonguss from sporing things so talon/salamemce can 2hko it without the fear of getting put to sleep. One thing I don't like about the team is its rain matchup especially rain with jirachi. Last thing is I have a question, what does low kick kanga do for this team? It's not overly heatran(plenty of things to break the sub/prevent it from subbing) or kanga weak with aegislash and keldeo. Cool team although I don't know why you and qsns have this mence fetish maybe it's the same thing I have with sash gengar and shit mons, idk :p

Week #2: KyleCole

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Jilachi (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 56 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Sunny Day

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 176 SpA / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect
The team (x 1.0) started with me deciding I was 100% going to make a competitive team with Zard X. Up until then I really hadn't seen a good Zard X team and I knew it had a phenomenal matchup vs Stratos Sun. I also actually think it's a good pick. The other members were all chosen in part because they could each offer some kind of support to Charizard other than offensive coverage / defensive synergy. I bet you can spot them.

After Charizard I added Landorus-T and Zapdos because I wanted to have the team somewhat resemble a standard looking sun team albeit one with some weird holes in it. I added Jirachi and Keldeo remembering the defensive synergy in core from the Mega Metagross framework of Meta/Keld/Lando. Tied up a couple of movesets here including Quick Guard on Keldeo, Goggles on Jirachi, and Imprison on Landorus-T. I removed Imprison after making the last Pokemon Bisharp because as fun as it would've been to trap opposing Landorus it wasn't super practical. I gave Jirachi Sunny Day as a last minute tech against rain teams which was really helpful. Against rain you dont need the sun to last all that long, you just need to slow the rain team down for a couple of turns to pick up some Dragon Dance boosts and then go wild.

If you want to use this team, lead Charizard and Landorus-T and U-turn into the support you need. If for some reason that won't work take a good guess at what support mon you most likely need besides Charizard and go from there. The team is meant to go heavy with Zard X out of the gate and clean up afterwards with what you have left. It is a very easy team to use. One of the things that I love about Charizard X is that if you play it properly, generally the turn you mega evolve and reveal yourself not to be Y you can get a free turn to do whatever, so make the most of it (hint: click DD).

As far as EV spreads go they're all pretty standard. I would change the Jirachi spread however to 240 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 108 Spe with an Impish nature which will still allow you to live a LO Talonflame Flare Blitz but will also guarantee you live a Dark Pulse from Modest Hydreigon. Oh and if you've never seen that Zapdos spread before I suppose it can look a little odd, but it lives a Mega Diancie Diamond storm and OHKOs Keldeo and Landorus-T. It hits 241 speed for creeps. Don't use the weird analysis spread for XZard just use 252/252.

I think that about covers everything, if you have any questions about why I made some of the decisions I made for movesets or teammates I'll answer all of them. If you notice some flaws about the team you're lying because this team - much like every other team I create - is perfect. Oh and the name is X1.0 because while it used to be just "X", I made X2.0 and used it in SPL so I needed to amend that.
probably when kyle was making a team based around zard x he wanted to aid a dd sweep, and jirachi being the broken mon it is being the good redirect aid it is easily was the base of a core imo. his idea was most likely to innovate the during the finals because thats what people do, to grab the opponent offguard andstunt hope to get a win. based on team preview, if a person were to think it was zard y, the team appears to be a bit awkward. it dosen't have the type of sun necessities that a typical zard y team has (such as venusaur), and the rachi is a pretty good hint at a potential dd zard x core with the jirachi. nothing on his team really was benefitted from sun, either. the team preview can lead to the weak points of the team because if the opponent is suspecting of a zard x, and the rachi (and zapdos) has been handled / is in check, then it is really hard for a sweep (or wall breaking with TW up) to occur. however, if the opponent does not think about the possibility of zard x, then a late game sweep or midgame break for late game cleaners are possible and can sometimes be easy to set up based on how the opponent would play around a zard y.

the underrated threat of the team is obviously charizard, as zard x is not really the most common pokemon of dou, and it can be used to advantage just because of the 2 potential megas that charizard can have. 252 / 252 is a nice spread for zard, the bulk dosent come into play much against lando t (at least, in my past experience), and being able to speed tie ada kanga if needed is really nice as well.

Week #3: checkmater75

Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Healing Wish

Talonflame @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Atk / 92 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Tailwind
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
To me it looks like this team was built around the idea of maintaining so much offensive pressure that you control the pace of the game, thus lessening your weaknesses to what would normally be very threatening. Sure, Talon can beat any one mon on his team, but then the other can kill it in the same turn, and in order to avoid getting destroyed by one of the many offensive threats on check's team, you have to use your mons as effectively as possible, because any slip up is fairly easily exploited. Guessing that this started with Kang / Azu / Rachi, built around a Knock Off BD Azu sweep considering how well that went for Zach against him week one. With those three, he can break through the majority of the meta and just needs to use the other three mons to cover the few things that don't fear those two huge wallbreakers. Talon gives him extra priority, Deo-A provides plenty of set up opportunities with its sheer power, and Lando-I breaks down Zard and Steels, both of which could be troubling for the main three.

Sure, from a glance the team looks really weak to sand, or rain, or scarf Washtom, or Talon, but this is Hyper Hyper Offense - it's not supposed to have a dedicated check to everything in the meta, it's supposed to keep the pressure on and overwhelm the opposing team. This is a team that, if played well, can maintain momentum in pretty much any matchup, and that's why check found success with it here. Cool team, fairly similar to check's normal style of building with Hyper Offense, ridiculous amounts of speed on mons that do not need that much (cough cough Goggles Rachi), and a few things to hopefully catch you off guard in Healing Wish, Jolly Kang, and Explosion.

Week #4: Level 51

Mega-Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 216 HP / 24 Def / 32 SpA / 4 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Perish Song
- Disable
- Protect

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Dewgong @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Disable
- Perish Song
- Protect

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Protect

Scrafty @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard
- Detect
I think the team plays fairly formulaicly, so I'll go through a sample gameplan I guess. The easiest way to start a game is to get a fast Perish Trap off first with a Gengar / Clefairy lead (Follow Me + Perish Song) or Gengar / Scrafty (Fake Out + Perish Song); Clefairy is the preferred option for leads such as Hydreigon, Darkrai, Hoopa etc, which have strong targeted moves capable of dealing heavy damage to Gengar but which can be easily neutered by a Follow Me from Clefairy. Follow Me is also good for redirecting fast or Prankster Taunts. Clefairy also has some neat tricks; for example, Helping Hand and Gengar's Shadow Ball KOs 252/0 Aegislash; Icy Wind + Protect lets Gengar outrun a Scarfed Landorus-Therian the next turn and Disable it; and so forth.

Scrafty + Gengar works better on opponents who have a bunch of Pokemon capable of dishing out strong spread moves, like Landorus-Therian + Charizard-Y. Fake Out lets it stop one attack for the turn, and Eject Button gives you a free switch to Dewgong for Fake Out + Disable or Clefairy for Icy Wind → Disable. Generally, I try to bring Gothitelle in on the second-last turn of Perish Song and setting up Trick Room on the last, if possible; otherwise, if the opposing team is slow enough, I can bring Gengar back out off a Clefairy's faint or Scrafty's Eject Button switch.

If I'm going for the slow Perish Trap, Dewgong is my Perish Song user of choice; it can help Gothitelle get a Trick Room up with Fake Out, and afterwards it can go for a Perish Song or Disables while Gothitelle Heal Pulses to get Dewgong's health back up. Once Perish Song is up I can also go out to Scrafty or Clefairy to (a) heal them and (b) lower damage done to Gothitelle. On the other hand, a fast Trap operates similarly to the first fast Trap, with Gengar / Clefairy / Scrafty forming the main means to perform the Perish Trap. Meanwhile, Whimsicott fits pretty decently on both fast and slow Perish Traps as an Amoonguss stop / Encore user in slow mode and as a Prankster Taunt stop / Encore user in fast mode. It's also probably the first thing to get sacrificed midgame, so in that sense it's a pivot in a sick kind of way. If I get the first two Traps off with minimal losses, the last Trap is fairly easy to secure.

So yeah, it's a team. The goal of the team was to get maximum mobility among the members to make Traps easy to pull off with minimal losses
The team is quite obviously built around Perish Trapping and Disable-cheesing its way into doing so, which while looked down on ends up being pretty effective. M-Gar would be the obvious starting point, with STag, PSong and Disable. Gothitelle is a close second addition as the only other viable perish trapper, Trick Room being used for speed control and to let Scrafty/Dewgong do their jobs better. Whimsicott pairs with STag, Disable, and Encore to make the opposing 'mons struggle to death, with Prankster Taunt shutting down opposing Taunts and other shenanigans that could potentially shut down the strategy. Dewgong here provides Disable + Perish song for a secondary option to MGar, as well as Fake Out support. Scrafty provides Fake Out and Quick Guard support, to keep opposing priority (namely opposing Fake Out, priority Taunt/TWave from thundy) from messing with the strategy, with Eject Button retaining momentum for the do-or-die PTrap strategy. Detect > protect for style points obviously. Clefairy provides speed control when Trick Room isn't an option, wastes crucial turns for the opponent with redirection, and gives Helping Hand support to help the team's offensive aspect. Speaking of which, with the combination of MGar, Scrafty, Goth, and HH Clefairy, the team isn't completely useless offensively, and can bank on it if plan A goes wrong and the team needs to wrap up the win some other way. Heal Pulse Goth and Friend Guard Clefairy helps keep the team alive for more chances to PTrap.

Week #5: Biosci

Victini @ Charcoal
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Protect
- Trick Room
- Zen Headbutt

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 44 HP / 44 Def / 184 SpA / 32 SpD / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Ice Punch

Sylveon (F) @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 92 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Hyper Voice
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Trick Room
- Protect
So when building the team I was looking at team compositions I'd enjoyed in VGC 2015. This one took a ton of inspiration from this team. I knew the style of play however wouldn't really as well in DOU so I had to make a number of adjustments. I liked the way the team could present some really strong board control and I wanted to try to emphasize on that with having a number of different modes. Only a couple mons on the team rely on TR, but TR is such a great move to gain control in almost any match. I didn't want to rely on it however which is why I opted for a more speedy Charizard. As noted above, Lando-T was kind of an issue when building so I wanted my Charizard to at least outspeed Jolly Lando-T. The Lando-I was just extra insurance vs Lando-T and Heatran.

The lack of Fake Out was something that felt off, but I still think this team can get TR pretty easily without it thanks to Follow Me, unique typing, and just good bulk. Even though my TR setters are weak to Lando-T, neither get OHKOd(Unless Choice Band which happened vs Zach) so I can usually at least get 1 TR off a game. Conkeldurr and Sylveon were probably my favorite parts about this team. Calm Mind Sylveon to punish playing too defensive vs TR and Conk to provide pressure in and outside of TR thanks to it's bulk and strong coverage. The last move was pretty filler on it for me. Personally I don't think Rock Slide Conkeldurr is good, and I didn't want to rely on Stone Edge to deal with possible Charizard/Talonflame so Rock Tomb came up as an option. It ends up being a pretty cool option with the added speed control so I never minded having it. I hate using Knock Off to deal with Aegislash, and I felt like I had enough answers to Aegi anyway. Victini and Jirachi deserve a special shoutout too. Both ended up being pretty great options when I was putting together this team. Jirachi acting as both solid redirection and Trick Room set up and Victini pulling off OTR extremely well. No Pokemon in VGC even compare to what they can do so it's kind of nice to get to use them here.

I've ended up going to revamp this team quite a bit as I just liked how this team felt when playing. This team is definitely fun, but far from perfect. I've used heavier Charizard TR in the past, but this team just played way different than that team. Not to mention all the meta changes that have happened since then. Even now this team feels a little outdated thanks to Volcanion being released, so I'd definitely fix up the team some if you even consider using it.
This is a fairly unique team for a playstyle like Fullroom because some of these Pokemon go fast out of it, which is kinda hard to fit in fullroom. Char-y in Trick Room is a fun thing to watch; it basically can kill threats that are normally faster than it such as Mega Diancie and Terrakion, although the team handles them nicely as well. No fake out support means Biosci might've been relying on Follow Me to get TR up, as I don't see any other plausible way to get up TR within turn 1 or 2. While the team hates Lando in general, Lando-I and Conkeldurr surprisingly beats it out anyway. The team has 4 answers to Heatran, which is obligatory on a Sun team. However, the lack of a grass type meant it's either up to AV Conk or Sun to defeat it.

His main problem would be Lando that's for sure. Talonflame comes a close second here as well.

Last edited:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Aegislash @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Salamence @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

thanks to Stratos for the team!

Last edited:
The main goal of the team is just stuff that doesn't like getting paralyzed + offensive rhyperior with tailwind support. Goggles aegislash gives him a sleep immunity, prevents diancie and landorus from completely wrecking the team, and is a good kang switch in/trick room check. Taunt Keldeo is really nice on this team for giving him another stop to trick room because aegislash can't ohko any tr setter other than reuniclus and needs life orb to do so. But I think it's more for preventing amoonguss from sporing things so talon/salamemce can 2hko it without the fear of getting put to sleep. One thing I don't like about the team is its rain matchup especially rain with jirachi. Last thing is I have a question, what does low kick kanga do for this team? It's not overly heatran(plenty of things to break the sub/prevent it from subbing) or kanga weak with aegislash and keldeo. Cool team although I don't know why you and qsns have this mence fetish maybe it's the same thing I have with sash gengar and shit mons, idk :p

thinkin

Banned deucer.
i think its low kick bcos the is no point in running pup+dedge and edge is way better on here than frustration
team seems really solid the 2 things it doesnt like are talonflame and diancie. diancie can beat everything but aegislash on here (rhyperipr could win 1v1) l. talonflame is a big fucking threat since the bb hits before everything (/our own talon). you could switch in rhyp but its at least dealing over 50% to the second mon. i think the idea for team was take standard kang offense (like with landot over rhyperior and latios on salamence) and make it more tailwind, more thund weak, then swap rhyperior over landot as it destroys thund, enjoys tailwind
the cool thing is it doesnt loose to semiroom (that sets it apart from most ho/tailwild teams) with talonflame beeing able to kill amoongus, rhyperior vs heatran and aegislash blocking sylveon.
double tailwind gives you a slice chance against rain teams thats cool too

Last edited:
Team Details:
Obviously the team revolves around dual tailwind support with the core of fastburd + mence, which looks cool in the offensive spectrum. Obviously any team that has speed control (well, which team wouldn't have speed control) hates thunder genie, so Rhyperior was thrown out. I like how it runs a more offensive variant over some slow fat type, and it does outspeed important Pokemon such as Diancie, Thundurus and Charizard under Tailwind. Then, Kanga. Kanga is basic stuff, except Low Kick > something like Power Up Punch, which is actually a bit questionable. 2 Trick room stoppers appear in Goggles Aegislash and Taunt Keldeo, lessening the burden in facing Trick Room for the least part.

Pros:
-Double tailwind, which is so nice
-Use of uncommon but effective options, such as offensive Rhyperior and Tailwind Mence
-Not incredibly weak to Thundurus
-Good alternative to Team Glennn

Cons:
-Incredibly weak rain match-up
-Reliant to only a single fairy check (most specially for Mega Gardevoir + Lando-I or any steel killer)
-Suicune isn't gon' be easy to eliminate (if that even matters)

Personal Opinions:
Low Kick feels a bit purposeless for Kangaskhan. At least Drain Punch would help, considering the fact that we have Double Edge. Otherwise, there's not a lot to tweak here. I would use a team like this for laddering and tourney plays.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
lord Qwilfish asked me to post in this right before I left for work and then i forgot. i can't post now for a couple of hours but next time I get on PS i want u guys to remind me. sry

Stratos

Banned deucer.
OK so as I expected, nobody guessed the truth about how the team was built.

It actually started as a hail team, qsns and I were building for Arcticblast and a lot of the mons he liked were weak to Ice. We had Abomasnow + Steel Wing Talonflame and immediately added WP WG Aegislash to deal w/ Rock-types. At this point we were weak as fuck to Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, Heatran, and Aegislash, so we added Taunt Keld, though honestly QG probably would have made more sense w/ the talon weakness. Anyways Talon, Keld (and other fightings), Tran, and Lando-T were still big problems and Intimidate would really help dealing with Kangaskhan as well, and also Salamence is fuckin brokenly good yo so it was a natural choice for the fifth spot. Lastly we wanted something that could handle Rock Slide, Heatran, Thundurus, and Talonflame all of which were big threats. For a while we were absolutely blanking on what we could add and then me and qsns at the exact same moment said TURBO RHYPERIOR and changed the Talonflame to Tailwind and the Aegislash to speedy because double tailwind is really dumb but it's such a great meme. After a test match we realized that all of our Heatran checks get destroyed by Latios and all of our Latios checks get destroyed by Heatran and Abomasnow wasn't really doing anything, so we changed it to Kangaskhan, went w/ the LK set to beat Tran+Kang and because the team didnt have any support for PuP anyways (though u could probably use PuP since it has double tailwind). Changed the Aegislash to Goggles after getting demolished by Diancie + Breloom.

Honestly this team isn't done, but I submitted it because it was the only team i'd built recently enough to remember the process, except for the check CT which hadnt been deployed at the time of the thread posting.

sry if this is hard to read my dudes

Congrats to deoxys speed for winning this week

Anyways heres the week 2 team:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Jilachi (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 56 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Sunny Day

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 176 SpA / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Thanks to KyleCole ! This team was used in the grand final of fall seasonals vs Stratos and was able to pick off the win.

Last edited:
probably when kyle was making a team based around zard x he wanted to aid a dd sweep, and jirachi being the broken mon it is being the good redirect aid it is easily was the base of a core imo. his idea was most likely to innovate the during the finals because thats what people do, to grab the opponent offguard and stunt hope to get a win. based on team preview, if a person were to think it was zard y, the team appears to be a bit awkward. it dosen't have the type of sun necessities that a typical zard y team has (such as venusaur), and the rachi is a pretty good hint at a potential dd zard x core with the jirachi. nothing on his team really was benefitted from sun, either. the team preview can lead to the weak points of the team because if the opponent is suspecting of a zard x, and the rachi (and zapdos) has been handled / is in check, then it is really hard for a sweep (or wall breaking with TW up) to occur. however, if the opponent does not think about the possibility of zard x, then a late game sweep or midgame break for late game cleaners are possible and can sometimes be easy to set up based on how the opponent would play around a zard y.

the underrated threat of the team is obviously charizard, as zard x is not really the most common pokemon of dou, and it can be used to advantage just because of the 2 potential megas that charizard can have. 252 / 252 is a nice spread for zard, the bulk dosent come into play much against lando t (at least, in my past experience), and being able to speed tie ada kanga if needed is really nice as well.

The team (x 1.0) started with me deciding I was 100% going to make a competitive team with Zard X. Up until then I really hadn't seen a good Zard X team and I knew it had a phenomenal matchup vs Stratos Sun. I also actually think it's a good pick. The other members were all chosen in part because they could each offer some kind of support to Charizard other than offensive coverage / defensive synergy. I bet you can spot them.

After Charizard I added Landorus-T and Zapdos because I wanted to have the team somewhat resemble a standard looking sun team albeit one with some weird holes in it. I added Jirachi and Keldeo remembering the defensive synergy in core from the Mega Metagross framework of Meta/Keld/Lando. Tied up a couple of movesets here including Quick Guard on Keldeo, Goggles on Jirachi, and Imprison on Landorus-T. I removed Imprison after making the last Pokemon Bisharp because as fun as it would've been to trap opposing Landorus it wasn't super practical. I gave Jirachi Sunny Day as a last minute tech against rain teams which was really helpful. Against rain you dont need the sun to last all that long, you just need to slow the rain team down for a couple of turns to pick up some Dragon Dance boosts and then go wild.

If you want to use this team, lead Charizard and Landorus-T and U-turn into the support you need. If for some reason that won't work take a good guess at what support mon you most likely need besides Charizard and go from there. The team is meant to go heavy with Zard X out of the gate and clean up afterwards with what you have left. It is a very easy team to use. One of the things that I love about Charizard X is that if you play it properly, generally the turn you mega evolve and reveal yourself not to be Y you can get a free turn to do whatever, so make the most of it (hint: click DD).

As far as EV spreads go they're all pretty standard. I would change the Jirachi spread however to 240 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 108 Spe with an Impish nature which will still allow you to live a LO Talonflame Flare Blitz but will also guarantee you live a Dark Pulse from Modest Hydreigon. Oh and if you've never seen that Zapdos spread before I suppose it can look a little odd, but it lives a Mega Diancie Diamond storm and OHKOs Keldeo and Landorus-T. It hits 241 speed for creeps. Don't use the weird analysis spread for XZard just use 252/252.

I think that about covers everything, if you have any questions about why I made some of the decisions I made for movesets or teammates I'll answer all of them. If you notice some flaws about the team you're lying because this team - much like every other team I create - is perfect. Oh and the name is X1.0 because while it used to be just "X", I made X2.0 and used it in SPL so I needed to amend that.

i guess no one posted because thecristalonix's analysis was so good?_?

Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

Landorus @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Healing Wish

Talonflame @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Atk / 92 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Tailwind
- Protect

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Big thanks to checkmater75 for this weeks team. With this Team, he was able to win his SPL Week 2 match against Biosci
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-doublesou-114617

Last edited:
slick speedy healing wish rachi + DEdge kanga check i approve oo forever the best rachi
explosion lando-i is neat, smacking rotom and getting momentum goodstuffs
cool n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)