The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just watched Konosuba Ep 3. Its not good anime (more in "so bad it's good" territory), more enjoyable than I thought it'd be after the first half-episode, although I still testify to it being a worse Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka. Its kinda funny at times and I love the ending music,mas it puts you at ease much lime Grimgar's soundtrack does. I think it's pretty good as a tertiary time waster alongside Phantom World and Dagashi Kashi.

Kinda ties in and kinda doesn't, but w/e. What are everyone's full watch lists for the season? Its reached a point where most of what will be dropped should be, so I'm kinda interested to know what new stuff everyone's not dropped to see what out of the stuff I've not seen I should ensure I watch. Mine is Erased, Grimgar, Dimension W, Dagashi, Phantom World, Konosuba, Ajin, Schwarzesmarken, Bubuki, Active Raid and Aokana (im cautious of the latter two and they are the only ones that may be dropped later, depending on how they play out). Anything else I've either dropped already (Nurse Witch, for example) or haven't watched yet (to lazy to think of one for this). As for shorts, I'm still watching the only two which I started watching at the start of the season (sekkou boys and mahou shoujo) due to them not completely sucking and them being easy to follow 'cause CR licencing. The former is kinda funny (albeit kinda annoying at times) and the latter remains non-creepy after ep 3 and is moderately entertaining (enough to happily kill 5 mins) despite the clearly young, inversely-gendered target audience. Are any of the other shorts worth watching or should I not bother with any of the others?

Anyway something that has somehow simultaniously piqued and nullified my interest is the Tambachi Late Show. I watched the first half of the ep 1 and it seems relaxing, but the animation (or rather the lack thereof, as it is sort of between being a fully detailed storyboard and a first draft of an episode) means that it can be easy to get bored when watching it. Its beautiful and definitely interesting, but not something I can watch at any time like most of the other stuff this season is. Still kinda nice to use to unwind to of I'm not super irritable and have nothing better to do.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I recently got my head around drawing and tried my hand at the manga art style. I'm not all that good, but I wanna share this anyway 'cause its related to the current season.
It's not that good, and you can see that I'm reasonably new to drawing from a handful of things (e.g. the odd rubber mark, it all being done with the same B pencil etc.), but I'm still happy with it considering I only started drawing seriously very recently. Any feedback at all would be nice, and I might share stuff here every now and again if I get better/don't chicken out. Hope you like it...

I'd have scanned it but my scanner did something weird due to my workbook being thick, so a photo will have to suffice.

Anyway I started reading Umineko No Naku Koro Ni like Acklow suggested and I like it. Looking foreward to seeing how it plays out and it should keep me occupied between anime ep releases, Yamada-kun chapters and Scum's Wish chapters if I finish Tokyo Ghoul vol 1 too early, so thanks for the suggestion :)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
That feel when finally, finally you managed to get someone to read the Umineko manga. jsyk, that is my most favorite manga in the whole world.

Martin

So something happened in Grimgar (there is finally some story progression happening), and it confirmed my hunch that I had in ep 1 that this would be a very character-focused anime. This episode legit left me teary, and it has put the watercolour artstyle to really good use in places. Everything about it remains beautiful, from the soundtract to the artstyle, and it is very peaceful to watch. If there was any doubt in my mind that this was second place this season behind Erased before around ten minutes ago, it is most certainly gone now. Grimgar is genuinely good anime, and if you aren't watching it or have dropped it I urge you to pick it up.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For best moments in anime, I'd say that gurren laganns "lemme see you grit those teeth simon" moment was one of the best, that and when they combined into a mech inside a mech inside a mech inside a mech and punched something hard enough to warp the space time continuum.

The "turning point" of steins;gate was really epic as well, and was a big "oh shit" moment.

I happen to really really like the episodes that lead up to kirito x asuna in sao, so like episode 4-8? Idk i just really like those and can rewatch the first 14 eps over and over

Lastly the baseball episode of samurai champloo was probably one of the best episodes ive ever seen

Monogatari second season 26 involves talking your way out of a shallow grave, the value of pursuing your dreams, redemption, and a somewhat open ending that left me thinking and even ties in interestingly with future events. Monogatari has its ups and downs but that was one hell of a high. (And of course thinking about it has made me want to go back and watch it again.)

Otherwise, the second last episode of Fate Zero s2, Madoka 10, NGNL 6, Katanagatari 12, and Horizon (not log) 10 are some of the more recent ones that come to mind.

now that I think about it, Butch and Nisio both appear twice on that list

Martin

Yeah the Shiritori ep of ngnl was hype af. I also think the magical chess was pretty hype, but shiritori still beats it by a long shot.

Anyway im contemplating either reading or watching Lupin III when I finish reading Umineko. I'm not sure though. Does anyone who has either read or seen any of them think it's worth reading/watching?

Martin

:v4:
^Me when someone said they are enjoying something more than erased

In all seriousness tho Phantom World is entertaining af, even if it isn't that good in terms of anime quality. Imo its too good to be so bad but not good enough to be called good in the traditional sense (more in the way that dagashi is good, except less extreme on both ends of the spectrum than dagashi). Defo one of the better watches, if only cause its entertaining af.

Martin

I've been clinging to Aokana in the hope that it is a little interesting, and it has been very fluctuant i terms of quality, with ep 3 actually being kinda engaging and toning down the annoying cat girl by a factor of 10^5. However, I can't help but facepalm at the name of episode 4: "Meat makes me happy" Seriously did they put /any/ thought i to it before choosing that as the episode title? Like, I could tell that Aokana was lazy from the opening theme and the general inconsistency that it has shown, but the fact that they didn't think twice before taking that line out context just takes the cake...

Prolly gonna drop it soon either way. Ep 4 basically copied the second half of ep 1 and some of ep 3 and glued them together to make another 1-episode development like they did with ep 1 where one of the chars goes from incompetent to a top class flyer in the space of the ep. It was barely enough to keep my interest, and even then it didn't do that all that well. Ep 5 will be all it has to redeem itself now, and if it stays uninteresting it'll be the first thing I drop completely as opposed to putting on the waiting list for this season.

Snou

the grand master of all the things bad!
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Haikyuu!! for best anime
And Another as best Horror/Psychological anime :O

i'm a little dissatisfied by the ending of toradora but overall i really enjoyed the show, glad i watched it

discussion point: if you had to rank avatar: the last airbender on your anime list, where would it fall? i personally can't think of a single anime i'd place above ATLA

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
discussion point: if you had to rank avatar: the last airbender on your anime list, where would it fall? i personally can't think of a single anime i'd place above ATLA
I've already got my list of favorite tv shows prepared, so it's

G Gundam and Fate/Zero... you'd think it might be more than just that, but even out of western shows only Futurama outranks it for me.

I don't know why but I start to like Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm. Episode 3 gave some interesting things about the male main character (I can't recall his name right now) and the 4th episode focused on one of the main characters giving me the impression that there might be room for good character development which would give me a reason to get invested into the story.

I hope it doesn't disappoint me like Digimon Adventure Tri...but thanks god it is not from Toei so I guess I can have some expectation.

Martin

Ao no katana is okay its just ultra inconsistent. Certainly not the worst thing this season (that honour goes to phantasy star online ii) but its got some pretty major flaws regardless. Atm i give it a 5/10 tbh. The op is really freaking lazy and the characters are kinda eh at best. At least its not gone harem lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)