Media Videogame thread

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yea, I haven't finished playing it yet but I am working on a Russian playthrough atm.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Everlasting summer is probably one of the best free games on Steam. Its a visual novel set in a pioneer camp in Soviet Russia and considering that its absolutely free its got a shit tonne of content and has a pretty moving store. Also yes/no that is Hatsune Miku.

It was made originally in Russian and has some typos but the translation is pretty good. Also paging Acklow because I somehow feel he'll be interested in this.
played this, its fun and good. tana is best girl. some of the art is really weird at times, barely human. they look like scary puppets

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Is the translation accurate?
idk, I haven't played through the English version yet. I plan on doing so once I'm done with the Russian version (I want to read source material first before hitting the translated stuff).

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is xenoblade chronicles x good looking bad looking or somewhere in between? I havent gotten to see any stuff from the source (mostly lower qual yt vids) so I cant tell if the wiiu is putting in work graphically or not

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Risk of Rain is currently just $2.50 on steam! It's a great game that gets you a ton of playtime for the money. It was the first roguelike game I ever played, and it doesn't SUPER focus on random level generation or permadeath like others. Instead It uses the same maps (with some random variation) with variable items and a wide assortment of characters, something I think gives it huge replayability. Think contra+Metroid 1 with MOBA characters that have 4 unique abilities.

Also, their new game, Deadbolt is coming out soon!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Is xenoblade chronicles x good looking bad looking or somewhere in between? I havent gotten to see any stuff from the source (mostly lower qual yt vids) so I cant tell if the wiiu is putting in work graphically or not
i own it and it looks pretty crisp. i'm personally not a huge graphics fiend so XCX more than satisfies me in that department. biggest complaint about the game: one of the characters is voice acted by Cassandra Lee Morris, who did Taiga Aisaka in the dub, and they sound the exact same.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I heard Terraria is a good game and it has ports on the 3DS and Wii U.

Does anybody know how good the ports are? I know I could probably get it on Steam, but a 3DS version sounds enticing due to portability.

Karxrida I don't know much about the ports but I've heard that they play well on other consoles. Still, I would highly recommend getting the PC version on Steam because it's the only version on patch 1.3, it'll be the first version to move on to 1.3.1, it has the most active modding community, and it just plays well on PC. Plus it'll be super cheap - Terraria routinely falls below $3 bucks on Steam, which is a steal considering that I've spent hundreds of hours on it.

If portability is a huge selling point for you then yeah, go ahead with the 3DS version. Otherwise I support the PC version 100%.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I'm also not a high-end PC gamer or whatever, but the official trailers are pretty true to how the game actually looks. It looks gorgeous, in my opinion. There is a lot of pop-in and such (especially when you go really really fast), but otherwise yeah. The framerate isn't terribly consistent outside of cutscenes, but that is usually barely noticeable, and it never gets as bad as the first Xenoblade did at times. You can really tell that the Wii U is being pushed to its absolute limits, just like its predecessor pushed the Wii to its limits.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I feel like this rumor has been going around ever since Earthbound Beginnings was announced for international release, or even before then. As much as I want to believe, it might be best to be cautiously optimistic until it's official.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I finished Firewatch earlier. I've been super excited for it ever since I saw the E3 reveal trailer but it was probably the most disappointing game I've played in a long, long time. ;_; It was basically a hiking simulator, and not even a good one at that because it's super linear, has invisible walls everywhere, and is just... so empty. Not many things to explore anyway. The story was really good though, and satisfying without the need to complicate things. Writing, dialogue, narrative, everything was really good. Visually, it's nice, but for whatever reason the frame rate sucked ass when I played it even though I'm fairly certain my PC can easily run it.

Would not recommend buying unless its 75% off or whatever but considering it was released a couple days ago that's probably not happening. I'd watch a lets play of it or whatever. Not worth spending $ on.

Majora's Mask is my all time favorite Zelda game. So, since there wasn't a thread for it, I made one. We can talk about our favorite characters, side quests, masks, mask transformations, etc. Or we can talk about stories that happened in our playthroughs of MM.

My favorite mask and mask transformation is the Zora Mask. I just like the design and swimming is cool, albeit not as cool as in the original N64 Version (I only have the 3DS version btw). As for characters and side quests, my favorite character is probably... Majora's Mask. It's creepy, got a cool design, and a cool but easy boss fight! My favorite side quest is getting the Zora eggs back. You just feel so sad for Lulu, and desperately want to get her children back. Not only that, but raiding a Pirate Forretress is pretty cool :^).

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but the StarCraft II thread doesn't seem to be around anymore and I recently re-installed that shit so if anyone wants to go trolling around in 4v4s, hit me up. I only have Heart of the Swarm expansion but if you have Legacy you can upgrade me automatically I guess. Preferably looking for people at least Gold League+

ID is Django Friend Code #212, feel free to message me if you wanna play!

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm debating getting it, would you recommend? I've never played FE before but both storylines look pretty interesting... and apparently they still have large amounts of content regardless of version?

RODAN

Banned deucer.
I'm debating getting it, would you recommend? I've never played FE before but both storylines look pretty interesting... and apparently they still have large amounts of content regardless of version?
i mean i've been playing it nonstop since i got it if that tells u anything

FE Fates is a really enjoyable game, much better than awakening. Gameplay is much more engaging thanks to the revamped Pair up system, re-addition of breakable terrain, and much better map design. The story and characters (so far) has more depth and personality than awakening, which had rather one dimensional characters along with a very confusing story.

I like the new features as well. My Castle is a pretty great addition, as it allows the player to interact and understand their characters better. Best new change is the addition of the skill capture, allowing you to capture enemy units. This is great since you can now play as otherwise Unplayable classes in whichever version you chose (ie Dark Mages in Birthright).

The OST is just absolutely amazing. I recommend playing the game with a good pair of headphones, as the 3DS speakers don't do the game justice.

i'd recommend Birthright first, as it is more traditionally like a FE game.
And its story seems to be the "True" story, especially with how Nohr is painted in the prologue.
I don't know what you mean by this because Birthright was designed to be like Awakening (and by proxy fe8 I guess) while Conquest is designed more like every other FE game. Also the 'true' route is obviously the third route DLC, which you have to shill out an extra $20 for no matter which game you bought.

I'd still recommend Birthright for people who've only played Awakening or no FE at all, but it was kinda boring for me because it has zero map objective diversity and was pretty easy even on Lunatic (with no grinding).

Unrelated: anyone who has SFV and wants matches hmu. Random matchmaking kinda sucks atm because it doesn't really skill-match very well and has no real punishment for ragequitting.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Meanwhile the PAL regions still lack a release date...

Speaking of JRPGs, the PAL release of Inazuma Eleven Go: Galaxy comes around later this year (although we also lack a release date for that... figures) and I'm psyched for it.

On another note, does anyone have any recommendations for a free game which is good to unwind to?

he said unwind to, not get off to

also I'd be playing Fates atm if it wasn't for the fact that I'm a massive weeb and don't want to play it without the JP voices, I'll probably try and hack my 3DS to go region free at some point or wait until a 3DS emulator happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)