[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

The biggest thing that I've learned from the matches I've had so far is that, very simply, a team needs to be built to overcome Clefable. I tried a number of different things, but the two I'm currently running with on my team are Chansey, Calm with 146 EVs in SpDef, which guarantees a minimum three hits from a +6 Clefable's Moonblast, and also a Specially Defensive Arcanine that can resist Moonblast and roar away an evasion boosted Clefable. For my own Clefable (because every team needs one, right?) I find that Unaware is definitely the preferred ability, as there's a lot of setup sweeping popular in the evolving meta so far. Haven't played a ton of games or anything (18-3 atm), but I'm definitely having some fun with the old Gen 1 crew.

Edit: Something I just realized, too, but Body Slam never misses Minimized targets. Snorlax crushes those Clefables, too.
Clear Smog + Taunt Weezing is also another option to handle Clefable trying to set up on you. Stored Power variants only do about 10% to you without any boosts, and Clear Smog never misses which is a nice bonus. Taunt will also force Clef out due to no longer being able to recover. Unlike Roar Arcanine, which is a temporary solution at best and stops working when Clefable is the last Pokemon on the team, Clear Smog Weezing can easily 1v1 Clefable at any point in the match.

Speaking of Weezing, it's amazing in this meta, and imo, WoW Weezing is probably the best way to stop DD Dragonite now that Iron Head is standard and capable of 2HKOing any Clefable there is. You burn the Dragonite as it clicks Outrage (hoping you hit) then you pivot to your own Clefable on the second Outrage.

Last edited:
Clear Smog + Taunt Weezing is also another option to handle Clefable trying to set up on you. Stored Power variants only do about 10% to you without any boosts, and Clear Smog never misses which is a nice bonus. Taunt will also force Clef out due to no longer being able to recover. Unlike Roar Arcanine, which is a temporary solution at best and stops working when Clefable is the last Pokemon on the team, Clear Smog Weezing can easily 1v1 Clefable at any point in the match.

Speaking of Weezing, it's amazing in this meta, and imo, WoW Weezing is probably the best way to stop DD Dragonite now that Iron Head is standard and capable of 2HKOing any Clefable there is. You burn the Dragonite as it clicks Outrage (hoping you hit) then you pivot to your own Clefable on the second Outrage.
So which move should I run on Weezing.Clear smog or Taunt?Or both?
Btw can you give me sample build of it?Because I don't thing Smogon build work well on this meta

So which move should I run on Weezing.Clear smog or Taunt?Or both?
Btw can you give me sample build of it?Because I don't thing Smogon build work well on this meta
Weezing
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 244 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

This is the set I'm currently using. Clear Smog is an absolute must with all of the set up sweeping Clefs on the ladder. The choice between Sludge Bomb vs Sludge Wave is dependent on whether or not you want a higher poison chance vs slightly more power. Will-o-Wisp cripples both Dragonite and Gyarados and Taunt actually allows you to 1v1 not just Clefable but Rest Snorlax as well. 20 speed creeps 12 speed Clefable.

Weezing
Ability: Levitate
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 244 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

This is the set I'm currently using. Clear Smog is an absolute must with all of the set up sweeping Clefs on the ladder. The choice between Sludge Bomb vs Sludge Wave is dependent on whether or not you want a higher poison chance vs slightly more power. Will-o-Wisp cripples both Dragonite and Gyarados and Taunt actually allows you to 1v1 not just Clefable but Rest Snorlax as well. 20 speed creeps 12 speed Clefable.
Thank you so much,I'll try this set :)

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
What's a good set for Tentacruel in this format? Would like to have him to both check Clefable and also to Rapid Spin away some Stealth Rocks.

Btw Snorlax should go Return or Body Slam.Bulbapedia said that Body Slam will double damage on Minimize,that'll make great advance again Clefable but my team already have 2 iron head (Dragonite and Aerodactyl) and 1 sludge bomb (Weezing)
p/s:Should I alway use stealth rock aerodactyl at lead?It so weak that it mostly die by 1 hit from other lead.
I was think about replace it with Kabutops because my team have no water pokemon and also kabutops know rapid spin too

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's a good set for Tentacruel in this format? Would like to have him to both check Clefable and also to Rapid Spin away some Stealth Rocks.
Tentacruel
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Haze
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

You want to be full physically bulky so that when they switch their Dugtrio into you, you can tank the Earthquake with as much health to spare and (hopefully) OHKO it with Scald. I've been running Duggy myself and I feel bad for the people that I OHKO with EQ (are they running SpD? surely not Modest). Liquid Ooze is probably the best ability so you can get chip damage off on things when you get Leech Seeded (I've seen Venusaur doing this a fair bit), Clear Body might help in Tentacruel mirror matches as they can't lower your SpD with Acid Spray, Rain Dish is basically useless though.

Btw Snorlax should go Return or Body Slam.Bulbapedia said that Body Slam will double damage on Minimize,that'll make great advance again Clefable but my team already have 2 iron head (Dragonite and Aerodactyl) and 1 sludge bomb (Weezing)
p/s:Should I alway use stealth rock aerodactyl at lead?It so weak that it mostly die by 1 hit from other lead.
I was think about replace it with Kabutops because my team have no water pokemon and also kabutops know rapid spin too
Are you asking? Body Slam is way better, not only for Minimize spammers, but the para chance can really help you out in clutch situations. Even on a Curse set, I'd still go Body Slam. Para is just that good imo

Aerodactyl can use Taunt + Stealth Rock and EdgeQuake really well. Aerial Ace is also cool for STAB and picking off fighting types and low health Minimize users, but it's pretty niche... Kabutops is too slow and frail imo

Okay, so I have what I think is a decent team in mind, but I have a few questions before I get into testing:

Best moveset for Alakazam at the moment? Is it still Encore/Disable or something else?
Best EV spread for Clefable? I assume its 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe? Or should the 4 go in SpD?
What is Tentacruel's primary use? Removing Stealth Rocks, then taking out Clefable?
If I use Snorlax, what should be my set/fourth move? Currently thinking Rest/Sleep Talk/Body Slam/Curse (?) Or is Curse pointless?
Which Ability/EVs/nature for Snorlax? Not too sure on the first or second, but is it Careful for nature?
Which is better? Aerodactyl or Dugtrio? Currently thinking Aerodactyl, but not sure.
What are you guys actually leading with? O.o

ps. Once I have my answers from this I'll start doing some tests on PS, I just don't have much time to do it at the moment.

Last edited:
Okay, so I have what I think is a decent team in mind, but I have a few questions before I get into testing:

Best moveset for Alakazam at the moment? Is it still Encore/Disable or something else?
Best EV spread for Clefable? I assume its 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe? Or should the 4 go in SpD?
What is Tentacruel's primary use? Removing Stealth Rocks, then taking out Clefable?
If I use Snorlax, what should be my set/fourth move? Currently thinking Rest/Sleep Talk/Body Slam/Curse (?) Or is Curse pointless?
Which Ability/EVs/nature for Snorlax? Not too sure on the first or second, but is it Careful for nature?
Which is better? Aerodactyl or Dugtrio? Currently thinking Aerodactyl, but not sure.

ps. Once I have my answers from this I'll start doing some tests on PS, I just don't have much time to do it at the moment.
best moveset for zam: ive been enjoying the encore/disable set the most. other people have been saying good things about it too. it might be the best, idk for sure. i think movesets with other coverage moves can be good too though. i was trying cm 3 atks and focus blast/shadow ball came in handy once in a while.

best clef spread: yeah i personally think max def is best. the 4 doesnt matter too much but i do like the 4 extra speed to avoid potential ties.

tentacruel: yeah basically for clef(clear smog)/spin. bulky waters are cool in general too.

snorlax: cursetalk is fine. tank sets with fissure, rest, 2 attacks are cool too. i like adamant to make sure your damage output as strong as possible. careful seems like it'd be too passive for my liking but it might be okay on a full curse set.

aero or dug: they're kinda different tbh but i think aero is better overall.

lead: i dont have a dedicated lead and i think most teams shouldnt really have a dedicated lead. i think its best to lead with whatever looks the most favorable against your opponents team/what you expect them to lead with.

tentacruel: yeah basically for clef(clear smog)/spin. bulky waters are cool in general too.
Hey NOVED I think you made a minor mistake. I don't think tentacruel gets clear smog ( I might be wrong). I think everyone is using Haze.

Sceptross

The words were voted out by a landslide
is a Community Contributor
The most used sets seem to be Calm Mind + 3 attacks or Sub Encore/Disable. I use the latter in my team, and unless I get trolled it will either guarantee a kill or weaken severely 2 pokemon in the opponent's team. It's also a pretty decent check for Clefable should your counter already be dead.

I'd put them in Speed to at least speed tie with other Clefable. That's also how I use mine.

Depends on your team and your opponent's. I don't use Tentacruel, but when one comes in on my Clefable, I immediatly switch out, especially if the opponent has something Clefable counters.

That set is the most common in Snorlax right now, and in my opinion the best. You miss out on coverage, but without Rest it's difficult to sweep.
I'd definitely use CurseLax if I were to use a Snorlax.

You need to run some calcs to see what fits best, if it's Careful or Adamant. If there is something relevant that doesnt 2HKO you because of Careful, go with it.

Once again, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to revenge kill, probably Dugtrio. Aerodactyl has a really interesting thing going for it in being able to outspeed Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance boost if running Jolly, and OHKOs Gyarados with Stone Edge, and Dragonite after 10% of damage (at 1 HP lost it's 44% chance of OHKO'ing it).

I use Aerodactyl with Stealth Rock, but it gets beaten by so many possible leads its not even funny. I've been leading with Jolteon because of Volt Switch, it allows me to gain momentum. The only exception to this is if the opponent has a Ground type or a Pokémon with Lightingrod/Volt Absorb, of course. But I'm also struggling to decide on a definite lead.

Last edited by a moderator:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Disable / Encore is so good imo. I have Protect instead of Sub but a lot of people like Sub instead. Psychic is such a good offensive typing here that you can afford to go mono-attacking. Stuff like Energy Ball can be good for Rhydon / Golem, Hidden Power Ice for Dragonite, Focus Blast for Magneton (and the Rock-Types) but tbh you'll probably get more mileage out of the disruptor set.

I'm running max HP/Def with Bold. Calm Mind patches up everything else so you may as well cover what can't be boosted. Of course Cosmic Power exists, I haven't tried it and haven't seen it, but I've heard it's a thing. I honestly don't know what the build would be for it, maybe Modest? lol

I think Tentacruel should focus on killing the opposing Clefable first and foremost. That thing is so threatening that if Tenta is your only answer and you sacked it to spin rocks away you will lose, lol. Of course, if you have multiple answers like Snorlax etc then you can be more carefree and spin those rocks, otherwise save it for Clef!

I've been using Body Slam / Fissure / Crunch / Rest. It's been really, really good for me so far (shoutouts DragonWhale). Adamant max HP/Atk

Aero and Dug have different uses afaik. Aero has insane speed and better attack, so I think overall it's better compared to Dugtrio in that same role. However, Dugtrio is amazing at trapping Nidoking (and mostly Tentacruel) and eliminating them and allowing a Clefable sweep. If you want a fast and powerful attacker / Stealth Rock setter; use Aero. If you need something to assist your Clef (or trap and eliminate most stuff) use Dugtrio.

I've just been trying to anti-lead tbh. Like Aero is a pretty common lead, so I've been sending Slowbro out first a lot, he also has pretty good matchup with a lot of things and can spread paralysis. It's been working pretty well so far. But yeah instead of having a dedicated lead I've just been trying to counter what I think my opp will lead with. This is very much a habit from regular battle spot though, as I'm not running Stealth Rock or anything like that, lol. There's probably a way of playing 6v6 differently that I'm missing but it's not really my game anymore so I'm honestly still adjusting to 6v6 still! That aside, I've been doing decently on the ladder so I'm confident with my advice :)

This competition looks interesting so I'm trying to build a team for it, but I've not really done any competitive battling before. I know about IVs/EVs/Natures, can breed perfect pokemon and all that jazz, it's team competition and why specific EV values are used out that are leaving me perplexed.

I know what I want to do with the team, I want to make a nice tanky team to cripple the opponent and whittle them down, and have seen a few sets for individual pokemon listed that fit the part. But I don't know which pokemon would work together and support the general idea, instead of cannibalizing each other's roles. Does anyone here use a team like that that they could explain to me so that I can better understand how to approach making my own team?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think magneton is an amazing lead. You can volt out of unfavorable matchups, twave setup or fastmons, and all good ground types take a good amount from fc.

best moveset for zam: ive been enjoying the encore/disable set the most. other people have been saying good things about it too. it might be the best, idk for sure. i think movesets with other coverage moves can be good too though. i was trying cm 3 atks and focus blast/shadow ball came in handy once in a while.

best clef spread: yeah i personally think max def is best. the 4 doesnt matter too much but i do like the 4 extra speed to avoid potential ties.

snorlax: cursetalk is fine. tank sets with fissure, rest, 2 attacks are cool too. i like adamant to make sure your damage output as strong as possible. careful seems like it'd be too passive for my liking but it might be okay on a full curse set.

aero or dug: they're kinda different tbh but i think aero is better overall.

lead: i dont have a dedicated lead and i think most teams shouldnt really have a dedicated lead. i think its best to lead with whatever looks the most favorable against your opponents team/what you expect them to lead with.
Thanks for the input! :D

The most used sets seem to be Calm Mind + 3 attacks or Sub Encore/Disable. I use the latter in my team, and unless I get trolled it will either guarantee a kill or weaken severely 2 pokemon in the opponent's team. It's also a pretty decent check for Clefable should your counter already be dead.

I'd put them in Speed to at least speed tie with other Clefable. That's also how I use mine.

Depends on your team and your opponent's. I don't use Tentacruel, but when one comes in on my Clefable, I immediatly switch out, especially if the opponent has something Clefable counters.

That set is the most common in Snorlax right now, and in my opinion the best. You miss out on coverage, but without Rest it's difficult to sweep.
I'd definitely use CurseLax if I were to use a Snorlax.

You need to run some calcs to see what fits best, if it's Careful or Adamant. If there is something relevant that doesnt 2HKO you because of Careful, go with it.

Once again, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to revenge kill, probably Dugtrio. Aerodactyl has a really interesting thing going for it in being able to outspeed Adamant Dragonite and Gyarados after a Dragon Dance boost if running Jolly, and OHKOs Gyarados with Stone Edge, and Dragonite after 10% of damage (at 1 HP lost it's 44% chance of OHKO'ing it).

I use Aerodactyl with Stealth Rock, but it gets beaten by so many possible leads its not even funny. I've been leading with Jolteon because of Volt Switch, it allows me to gain momentum. The only exception to this is if the opponent has a Ground type or a Pokémon with Lightingrod/Volt Absorb, of course. But I'm also struggling to decide on a definite lead.
Awesome, thanks for your input! That speed tie thing with Clefable is super obvious, I should have thought of that. >_<

Also, welcome to Smogon. :D

Disable / Encore is so good imo. I have Protect instead of Sub but a lot of people like Sub instead. Psychic is such a good offensive typing here that you can afford to go mono-attacking. Stuff like Energy Ball can be good for Rhydon / Golem, Hidden Power Ice for Dragonite, Focus Blast for Magneton (and the Rock-Types) but tbh you'll probably get more mileage out of the disruptor set.

I'm running max HP/Def with Bold. Calm Mind patches up everything else so you may as well cover what can't be boosted. Of course Cosmic Power exists, I haven't tried it and haven't seen it, but I've heard it's a thing. I honestly don't know what the build would be for it, maybe Modest? lol

I think Tentacruel should focus on killing the opposing Clefable first and foremost. That thing is so threatening that if Tenta is your only answer and you sacked it to spin rocks away you will lose, lol. Of course, if you have multiple answers like Snorlax etc then you can be more carefree and spin those rocks, otherwise save it for Clef!

I've been using Body Slam / Fissure / Crunch / Rest. It's been really, really good for me so far (shoutouts DragonWhale). Adamant max HP/Atk

Aero and Dug have different uses afaik. Aero has insane speed and better attack, so I think overall it's better compared to Dugtrio in that same role. However, Dugtrio is amazing at trapping Nidoking (and mostly Tentacruel) and eliminating them and allowing a Clefable sweep. If you want a fast and powerful attacker / Stealth Rock setter; use Aero. If you need something to assist your Clef (or trap and eliminate most stuff) use Dugtrio.

I've just been trying to anti-lead tbh. Like Aero is a pretty common lead, so I've been sending Slowbro out first a lot, he also has pretty good matchup with a lot of things and can spread paralysis. It's been working pretty well so far. But yeah instead of having a dedicated lead I've just been trying to counter what I think my opp will lead with. This is very much a habit from regular battle spot though, as I'm not running Stealth Rock or anything like that, lol. There's probably a way of playing 6v6 differently that I'm missing but it's not really my game anymore so I'm honestly still adjusting to 6v6 still! That aside, I've been doing decently on the ladder so I'm confident with my advice :)
Okay, cool. My only problem with the Disable / Encore set is that I'm pretty new to competitive play and don't know if I'll get timing right with them. It makes me hesitant to use it, especially when Energy Ball for Rhydon/Golem and Focus Blast sounds so handy. >_< Decisions...!

Ooooh, your Snorlax set looks super appealing to me! Only thing I'm worried about is Rest, how do you deal with that once you're asleep? O.o

Now I'm not sure if my team dynamic is right, I had Aero down to be part of it but you made me realise I might not have something to kill Tentacruel.

Here's what I have at the moment (before testing):

Clefable
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Minimize
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Alakazam
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Disable
- Protect

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

Aerodactyl
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Tentacruel
<what nature>
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Haze
- Scald

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Fissure
- Crunch
- Rest

Not sure what Nature I should be using for Tentacruel. Probably going to change Alakazam's moveset....

But yeah, I feel like I might be missing something in the team dynamic. :/

What are goods Alakazam counters/checks ? I was also wondering if a mon can check/counter both Alakazam and Dragonite ? Thanks !

What are goods Alakazam counters/checks ? I was also wondering if a mon can check/counter both Alakazam and Dragonite ? Thanks !
If you want something that can switch in and get the kill, Pursuit Snorlax OHKOs it with a little investment in attack (assuming they don't leave it in). Stuff like Gengar and Nidoking can also be EV'd to OHKO with Sucker Punch.

As for Dragonite, taking Multiscale out of the equation really helps (Stealth Rock). Gyarados can switch into Dragonite and Thunder Wave / Ice Fang (assuming no Multiscale), Clefable and even Slowbro or Weezing should do okay, too. Zapdos should be able to take a hit and status it. Aerodactyl has been discussed in this thread as being somewhat a check for Adamant Dragonite. Clefable is probably the hardest possible counter (although it can die to 2 Iron Heads from Adamant Dragonite), but the main thing to keep in mind is that the Dragonite player will try to save it until a point in the game when any potential checks are sufficiently weakened to allow it to set up. Try not to play into that if at all possible.

edit: not really a counter but getting your own Dragonite out faster should also do the trick.

Last edited:
I've been running a very enjoyable sort of anti-lead Dragonite, fully defensive with Thunder Wave/Roost/Dragon Tail/Earthquake. There's so much that speed control can do in this format, and getting that guaranteed first Thunder Wave off sets up favorable conditions almost all the time.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Thanks for the input! :D

Awesome, thanks for your input! That speed tie thing with Clefable is super obvious, I should have thought of that. >_<

Also, welcome to Smogon. :D

Okay, cool. My only problem with the Disable / Encore set is that I'm pretty new to competitive play and don't know if I'll get timing right with them. It makes me hesitant to use it, especially when Energy Ball for Rhydon/Golem and Focus Blast sounds so handy. >_< Decisions...!

Ooooh, your Snorlax set looks super appealing to me! Only thing I'm worried about is Rest, how do you deal with that once you're asleep? O.o

Now I'm not sure if my team dynamic is right, I had Aero down to be part of it but you made me realise I might not have something to kill Tentacruel.

Here's what I have at the moment (before testing):

Clefable
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stored Power
- Minimize
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight

Alakazam
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Disable
- Protect

Dragonite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head

Aerodactyl
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Tentacruel
<what nature>
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray
- Haze
- Scald

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Fissure
- Crunch
- Rest

Not sure what Nature I should be using for Tentacruel. Probably going to change Alakazam's moveset....

But yeah, I feel like I might be missing something in the team dynamic. :/
Obviously bold on Tentacruel, considering you have max HP/Def... Thick Fat is better on Snorlax than Immunity if you have Rest imo, it basically gives you some resists that you otherwise wouldn't have, and taking like 5% from Hidden Power Ice's is so nice. Snorlax is so damn tanky that once you fall asleep you can usually just wait it out, just beware of Dragonite that will want to come in and boost infront of you. I honestly haven't ever had trouble burning sleep turns with Snorlax yet, I guess spreading paralysis also helps with that haha.

Hey guys! Had a couple of questions for you!

I'm a very average (if not under) battler, and looking to do decently well on this competition ^^

This is my team right now:
Clefable
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Minimize
- Stored Power
- Moonlight

Tentacruel
Bold Nature
- Acid Spray
- Haze
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

Aerodactyl
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Taunt

Alakazam
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Disable

Nidoking
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 148 Atk / 108 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt

Dragonite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

So I generally lead with Aerodactyl to set up rocks, generally as a suicide lead.
Tentacruel is to take care of the opposing Clef (duh...), and Nidoking is there to beat Alakazam with Sucker Punch and give a lot of damage to tentacruel.
Clef is the obvious set up sweeper, and I use Dnite in that role as well (Back up in case I screw up with my Clef). Alakazam is used to take care of opposing Nidokings, as well as being a good offensive type in this meta.

So, onto the questions:

1- Was wondering if having two setup sweepers is really a good thing? I could potentially use a defensive Dnite to spread paralysis, phaze with dragon tail etc? Have used one before with decent results, but don't know if it would this metagame...

2-I also realised this team had a problem with Starmie, not quite sure what to do with it, whom to replace with whom?

Thanks for answers! :)

Last edited:
I've been running a very enjoyable sort of anti-lead Dragonite, fully defensive with Thunder Wave/Roost/Dragon Tail/Earthquake. There's so much that speed control can do in this format, and getting that guaranteed first Thunder Wave off sets up favorable conditions almost all the time.
what's the investments?

what's the investments?
I've been running 248HP/252Def/8Atk, though I'm considering changing that because I don't often use the phazing properties of Dragon Tail, so having enough Atk to do meaningful damage with Outrage might be worthwhile, or I may even just go Dragon Dance/Earthquake.

I've been running 248HP/252Def/8Atk, though I'm considering changing that because I don't often use the phazing properties of Dragon Tail, so having enough Atk to do meaningful damage with Outrage might be worthwhile, or I may even just go Dragon Dance/Earthquake.
Make sure your EVs are fit for level 50. At level 50 your stats increase every 8 EVs. So you have the same stat at 248 EVs and 244. So there's no reason to have 248. An easy way to make sure your EVs are right is to set your pokemon to level 50 in the showdown teambuilder.

Golem and alakazam are in my opinion the best pokemon besides clefable in this competition. Golem is so bulky physically and has so much raw power while alakazam is super fast and can really disrupt teams with encore and disable. Originally I had aerodactly over golem but it is way too frail so I replaced it and it is probably the best decision I made for this team. This is one of my favorite replays of both of them.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/kantoclassic-327664604
Both of them literally turned the game around for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)